American Airlines Employee Reviews

Not a bad company to work for
RESERVATION AGENT (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 30, 2017
If you can deal with the customers it is a very good job to have. You fly for free it is stand by, our manager was not very knowledgeable about most rules
Its great for someone who has no kids.
Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 29, 2017
Pay sucked they don't care that you have a life to attend to they are all about protecting the brand forger about the seniority rule they have dumbest thing ever.
Opportunity for leadership role
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 29, 2017
My daily task is a variety of different task to perform. These task are learning to read the drawings, SharePoint data entry of logging airplane drawing data (seat #, P/N, etc.), trained four personnel contractors regarding the importance of capturing detail info for auditing numerous drawing for accuracy date, revision, title, and status, and any finding of pertinent discrepancy for missing management sign-off for drawings. Responsible to handle and prepare all project records for scanning and printing to file for future FAA auditing. This entails reviewing all records for sign-off correction if needed, prevent duplication records and in-house audit as you file records.

Hardest part of the job was learning to read airplane data.

The most enjoyable part of this job is friendly environment of working with the people. Management is outstanding to provide everything you need for guidance to perform your job.
Pros
Free coffee, various perks
Cons
N/a
Another day in Paradise
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2017
A general day isnt usually too stressful. Too many CHIEFS and not enough INDIANS. Everyone wants to be in charged but do not know what they are doing. Staffing is horrible. Compensation for the role is humorous. Hardest part is meeting the demand but not enough people to do so. Best part of the job is the slower days where you can work effectively. And not like an auto plant
excelent
Airline Pilot (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 27, 2017
great career! I was very fortunate to work for a great company, wish I
was able to start earlier in life. Enjoyed the people I worked with. Would recommend this career to anyone that was able to qualify.
Pros
great pay
Cons
could be stressful at times
Great place to work if you like strict structure
International Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 27, 2017
Worked in Call center for reservations. Everything is timed. Your calls, breaks, lunches,meetings. You have a set schedule when your breaks and lunches are. Customers usually calling because of negative experience- delays/cancellations, website not working, airport issues, baggage- so most calls are stressful. Great opportunity for advancement. Not a lot of flexibility with work hours. Would not recommend if you like face to face interaction- very little time for socializing.
Pros
Good benefits, paid time off, sick leave
Cons
stressful, no flexibility in schedule
An OK place to work
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 26, 2017
I enjoyed most of my time at AA/AMR. I was there both pre- and post- 9/11, so it was a unique time for the entire airline industry. I only left to be a stay-at-home parent, but I do not know if I would have stayed there if kids weren't an issue. I've heard it's gone downhill.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
lower than average pay
Work from Home - the imperfect perfect position
Home-Based Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 26, 2017
I was hired by AA during massive onboarding of more than 600+ reservation agents; also at the growth of the HBR remote reservation role. The job, career path and opportunities within the division were well defined meeting expectations. The downside of the experience were underlying implications indicative of a company in the middle of merger of equals. I was hired in May; the merger with USAirways was completed in October of the same year. Although I have previous extensive experience working at the enterprise level during M&As this situation was different proved challenging. Prior to this job I had worked at 5 different global companies during the merger having access to information, authority to question/critique and opportunity to provide feedback to decision makers. The struggles I observed at the operational level both teased and tested my boundaries as new, subordinate at the entry level having a breadth of knowledge but lacking seniority to gain trust or opportunity to increase my value as an asset. There are many things I could say about the trickle down effect and implications of mismanaged information on employees, morale, producitivty, performance, reputation risk. From experience I can say with some level of expertise that the key to successful transition is strategic handling of BOTH inherent and residual risks that happen when 2 companies become 1.
As it relates to the reason I am no longer with the company - its as simple as a matter of non-compliance with ISP standards that resulted in reduced productivity, performance and morale. Being a 17+ year advocate
  more... of corporate compliance I recognized the right thing to do was terminate the position but not before exploring any/every opportunity to transition into another role. It was an unfortunate experience but one that I will use to increase perspective going forward...whether as in change management, supervisor/manager or another role it will be beneficial as a catalyst for me to make sure I am aware of the minor details; all factors are considered so that decisions are not skewed by complacency of relying on major assumptions or rule of thumb explanation...the way its always been.
In any case...its been since 2016 - it is what it is - from that experience I not only received ample payment, good benefits but also informal lessons I can add to my breadth of work experience.
Pros
benefits - more than just flights
Cons
timing
American Airlines
Customer Service Agent - Call Center (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 23, 2017
I was a customer service agent for American for 8 years. It gets boring taking call after call for 8 hours a day. Its difficult to sit down chained to a desk all day taking calls from irate passengers. It was great having insurance and travel benefits.
Pros
travel
Cons
hours
Great Career
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCNovember 22, 2017
Fast paced working environment, high customer service somewhat flexible when applicable for the company. Many opportunities for advancement and exciting job options. Diverse working environment many cultures and different backgrounds. Many company options medical, stocks, insurance and flight benefits.You must have flexibility as shifts are seniority based as well as vacations and holiday bids etc.
Pros
job security
Cons
micro managed open 365 days work many holidays
Worlds Largest Airline
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 21, 2017
Great place to work travel benefits are great and people you work with are also. They are flexible with you and will take care of you. I love working for them.
Overall a good job
Lead Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2017
The compensation was good, but the benefits needed help. Management was very hung up on "visual progress" even when it was not in the best interests of the operation.
Pros
Good pay, lots of experienced people
Cons
Meddling Managment, Benefits needed improvement
Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2017
I Enjoy working for my current manager(s). I enjoy the opportunity to be a maintenance supervisor at American and am honored to serve my team. Overall, it has its challenging days, but I feel very satisfied for the work I put in.
Pros
Flight Benefits
Cons
Extremely busy when at work
Fun place to work, but can be stressful
Customer Service Agent (CSA) (Current Employee) –  State College, PANovember 19, 2017
American has been a great place overall to work. It can be stressful at times with delays or cancellations and upset passengers, however the reward of being able to help someone get to where they need to go is worth it. You also get free unlimited travel on American Airlines domestically, and for international flights you only pay for taxes.
Good place to work, good flight benifits.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 19, 2017
Fast paced good place to work.
Each day was a learning experience.
Management overall was supportive.
Culture was professional
The most challenging part was dealing with the flying public.
The most enjoyable part of the job giving great customer service.
Pros
Flying to new destinations.
Cons
Late nights and earty mornings.
angry customers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 19, 2017
Dealing daily with angry customers. As long as you kept a positive attitude and not take anything personal you'd be ok. Slowly turning into a call center, and that's not my preference of work.
Great place to work with very supportive coworkers
Customer Assist Representative (Current Employee) –  DFW Airport, TXNovember 19, 2017
Excellent work environment; work life balance. Very supportive coworkers; multiple opportunities to take vacation and time off to rest. Seemingly open opportunities to advance one's career
Pros
excellent fight benefits for you, family and friends
Cons
pay struture at entry level positions are less than desirable
Great if you're single, 21, and fine with being broke
Inflight Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 19, 2017
You'll work every holiday, weekend, and night shift. Average salary is under $30K
You will miss everything in your life. You won't "see the world" as much as the back of your eyelids because after working for 16 hours, you just want to sleep. There is no balance with this job, unless you have about 35 years in the company. Even then, you're working most weekends.
Save yourself stress, apply elsewhere.
Critical, and productive job at 7000 feet
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2017
It was a very hard job for me to be away for days at a time and never truly have a chance to ever rest. It took a lot of training and dedication to do this position. It takes a lot of patience, a lot of hard work and a lot of passion. Management was always great.
Good Part Time Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 18, 2017
I started working at America West wich merged with USAirways which merged with American Airlines. I left before the American merger. I loved working for the airline, but it is a stressful job. There are a lot of employees and they are unionized which I didn't like. Great benefits
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Shift work, seniority based

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.