American Airlines

American Airlines Employer Reviews

Hectic, fast paced environment
PVA Agent, Ticket Agent (Former Employee), Queens, NYApril 18, 2014
Pros: the pay
Cons: horrible management and uncoopeerative passengers
A typical day at work is checking in passengers and getting them ready for take off. I learned how to make boarding passes, changing and booking flights and baggage. I had a horrible boss who did his job sometimes, definitely played favoritism in the work area. I had really cool,lay back co workers who made the job fun. Hardest part was late passengers – more... trying to get on they're flights and management who didn't act appropriate. Most enjoyable part was a satisfied customer and they pay. – less
Moving in the Right Direction
Database Manager Tech Support (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 16, 2014
Pros: opportunity for growth professionally.
Cons: no short cuts, focus 24/7, only the strong and flexible should apply
Above average company, while experiencing growing pains right now, it is very much moving in the right direction with a spirit of excellence. This company with its new leadership potentially can be the best operating in the boarders United States. If you are fortunate to land a full time position with the company, the atmosphere will allow you the opportunity – more... to infuse your skill set and grow with it. – less
Gained the business knowledge
Business Intelligence Architect (Current Employee), fort worth, txApril 15, 2014
Strategic thinking

supply chain business

analytical skills
Fun and fast pace
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 14, 2014
Pros: great learning enviroment
Cons: on benefits
I loaded and unloaded baggage and cargo.
Directed all arriving and departing aircrafts to and from the gates.
Operated equipment and vehicles.
A terrible culture and legacy of bad management
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 9, 2014
Greed, entitlement, and a lack of innovation make this a terrible place to work. The infamous MBA recruitment program has created a rigid corporate hierarchy which has resulted in several unfit and clueless high-level managers within in the organization.
Customer Service
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 9, 2014
Pros: free flights
Cons: insurance
Inbound calls made reservations for flights and also vacations. Checked status of flights. Went over seat assignments with passengers also.
Fun environment
Home Based International Sales Representative (Former Employee), Arlington, TXApril 7, 2014
I learned a lot about working for an airline. Understanding different airport policies and reservation polices.
Good job
Flight Attendant (Former Employee), Miami FloridaApril 3, 2014
Great job to experience real life around the world. Hard work, long hours, will always be thankful to have had this job.
Great Job
Fleet Service Clerk (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flying benefits, schedule, something new everyday
Cons: they're always laying off people so job security is not so well
Pretty entertaining job, something new to do everyday. Met great people from all over the world. Union helps you out when ever you need anything and you pretty much got control of your schedule since you can pretty much give your hours away and pick up hours when ever you like without a problem. Unlimited Overtime so you can make as much money as you – more... want as well. – less
Just a job.
Building Cleaner (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2014
It was just a job to hold while I figured out what I wanted to do.
Typical 9-5er
Passenger Sales Intern (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMarch 24, 2014
Great Management team. Work environment was very positive. Work was fairly easy, but also quite mind-numbing at times. Like any big corporation, you discover a lot of inefficiencies. Overall, it was nice to be there at 8:30 and leave by 5. The other benefits were great as well. Free flying! I was only an intern, so I'm unsure what their salaries are – more... like. – less
best infrastructure ever
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 22, 2014
requirement gathering
meeting notes
interview
write user stories
write test cases
drown workflow, activity diagrams, process flows
UAT, sign offs, Demo
backlog grooming
story planning sessions
Etc
I enjoyed being able to work on projects that impacted the flying public.
Project Delivery Manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 22, 2014
I am sure much has changed since I worked there, but the people were always good to work with. The systems we created when I was there were used by the flying public every day, and it was a very positive experience to know the systems were well built from a technology perspective.
Productive and GReat!
Import/Export Agent (Former Employee), jfkMarch 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches
This was a Enjoyable Job I was Cargo Agent import/export and enjoyed every minute of it.My co-workers were a delight to be with .
Fun place to work
Reservation Representative (Former Employee), Windsor, CTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: very cheap travel
Cons: long walk from bus stop
Sold AA service to prospective customers by answering incoming calls to schedule flights
It is a great place to work, and see all the exciting new changes.
Supervisor Name Ms. Kim Payne (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2014
Would enjoy working with others and to complete all assigned duties.
How to load aircrafts using heavy equipment.
Working in all types of weather.
Driving all the different kinds ground vehicle.
Great company
Domestic & International Reservations Rep (Former Employee), Cary, NCMarch 17, 2014
Awesome company, great staff and the flight benefits are awesome!
Great place to work ,learn and travel
Customer Service /Lost Baggage (Former Employee), Zürich, ZHMarch 16, 2014
I enjoyed every day working with American airlines. The staff were wonderful and management very helpful.
Constant change and hasn't been for the better
licensed aircraft maintenance technician (Current Employee), Downers Grove, ILMarch 16, 2014
Pros: it was a goal to work for the majors, did and learned a lot, a lot of great people, and a few i still try to forget.
Cons: it was a total let down with the hours you have to work 24/7, the grass looked greener looking in. now that i've been in, (24 yrs) it was all hype.
This company has had a lot of changes,not for the better nor better for the employees.
More work and responsibilities without the pay to match.
Other airlines with same job title are paid $30-40 k more a year and have less responsibilities. example one type of aircraft to work on, while we have 6 and adding several more types.
Same large company "motto" – more... continue to pay upper management large bonuses and take from the workers at the lower levels.
It's hard to see anything positive happening for employees. We are so far behind financially,we can never work enough to make up what this company has taken from the employees. Over the last 10 yrs I have lost more than $200,000.00 in wages alone.
Many employees are bitter and "done" with working here,just kind of riding out the storm and waiting for retirement. It was a good company to work for,until most of the company's energy is now spent on stealing as much as possible from the employees. It's to the point is seems daily stripping of something. At the end of the day you just about need to make sure they didn't take any silver fillings.
Hard to stay positive when upper managers receive bonuses that can support a family for generations and working 60-70 hrs a week and looking back we made the same amount 10 yrs ago in a 40 hrs work week.
This has been a mistake to have stayed with a company that doesn't care for it's employees. It has put a major strain on my family and my marriage because of financial strain. It basically turned myself into a liar with the promises that I made with the family of the things we were going to do. When this company started stripping the money away it snow balled slowly. While the years went by the company promises of things getting better kept employees faith that good times would return for all.........Only for the upper management did it get better.
Don't work for the airlines if you want any kind of life. Work hours are all over the place, you can't have a normal schedule and there are no such things as a "weekends" Say good bye to friends you know because the 9-5 people will never understand a airline schedule.
You wife will be sleeping alone and raise your family by herself.
The divorce rate is sick and I wish when I was in college for this career a teacher would have told me this " you live once,the airlines will suck the life out of you,pick another career"
I look forward to retirement as, just not having to work for nothing anymore.........a real positive thing.
I also have a better chance of hitting the lotto than getting a real retirement out of the airlines. – less
Great benefits
Station agent (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 16, 2014
Great company that values employees and customers.Managers enable employees to make decision affecting the company's profitability. With management support and resources employees are empowered to address future conflict as the arrives leaving the customers satisfied while staying within company guidelines.

About American Airlines

AMR knows America's spacious skies -- and lots of others. Its main subsidiary is American Airlines, one of the largest airlines – Read more

American Airlines Photos