American Apparel Employee Reviews in United States

Great management, healthy work environment.
Back stock/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 20, 2016
I would receive and process shipment, put new items on the floor, replenish the floor, and responsible for all displays inside the store and windows.
Pros
Great co-workers, creative freedom
Cons
no room to grow with company
Fun Place and great discount!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
I loved working here for the summer before I went away, but be caution because depending on which store location you apply to, they can give you short hours. Overall I really enjoyed working here, the staff was super friendly and helped me alot. The only downside is that since I didn't work a lot of hours (depending on which store you work in) majority of my check went into buying more clothes for the brand which isn't necessarily bad cause the 50% is great (I think 60% for on sale items).
Over all challenging yet fun environment to work in.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2016
- Day to day work was very stressful at times.
- I learned how to manage that that stress and turn it into something positive.
- Management was was sometime scarce.
- I had a wonderful fun and supportive team.
- Long hours
- Traveling
Productive but company undergoing many changes
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJuly 16, 2016
The worst part about this job is that there is very limited opportunities for advancements in this company. The company is going through many changes which makes the employees nervous about their future there.
Bad managers + terrible pay
Sales associate, cashier, and backstock associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2016
Most of the managers that get promoted to manager position are terrible. They don't do their jobs and don't do it correctly, and are just completely incapable of managing a store. The pay is so bad that it isn't even worth putting effort into your so called work.They expect so much of you with absolutely no incentives. Schedules are flexible but you also don't even get enough hours, so it's almost as if you don't even have a job! Save your happiness. Don't work here. :)
Pros
employee discount (sometimes)
Cons
hours, pay, managers, corporate
Production, work hard but smart, watch your back.
Screen printing Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
Its all about production, quantity, quality, and deadlines. Screen & digital Printer, Dept. Lead Supervisor, set jobs and machines, manage workers in dept,, inventory, ran production, receiving, shipping, mixed inks, pulled orders,burn & reclaimed screens, palletizing, customer service, and make samples.
Pros
Lots of O.T.
Cons
unapreciated
Fun and interesting workplace
Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2016
I loved being a manager at American Apparel. I dealt with fairly easy customers and was able to sell clothes that I love for a company I respect and admire. I had a great store manager and all of my coworkers were hard-working. I learned about working in retail, as it was my first retail job, and I learned the responsibilities of being a manager and overseeing the entire store and all the employees.
Pros
Discounts on clothing, enjoyable workplace/location
fun workplace, welcoming environment,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 11, 2016
What I learned working at American Apparel was to build a connection with the customers and to provide the best shopping experience to all customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting great people, customers and co workers. Also being able to help style people and make them feel comfortable and good about themselves through their outfits.
Pros
meeting great people, being able to work with clothes, and the co workers.
Cons
no healthcare and low pay
Easy Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, NYJuly 6, 2016
American Apparel was my first job and i loved it. Working at AA was all about adaptability. The best part about work were my Co-Workers and the part i hated the most were the in store managers. Not all Managers were bad just the ones at the Williamsburg Location. They were passive aggressive bullies that made it clear that they did not like you. It got so bad i had to contact HR and get a transfer. But overall American Apparel is very easy and made me want to work hard.
Pros
Good Hours, 50% Discount
Cons
Bad Management
First Job, Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 1, 2016
Working at American Apparel was my first job and it was a job that helped me learn my attitude towards work. I learned so many things about myself while embracing a totally different environment then what I was used to. The image of American Apparel was one that I had to learn to represent in a way that gave a good view of the products I was selling. Eventually, I was able to do so helping me learn how to adapt to the conditions around me as a sales person. Leaving AA was a decision I had to make due to time for me to move away for college. I still will always remember the work place as a positive experience and have used it as my number one reference for others to gain insight into my work ethic. I was seen as a hard worker and one who learned quickly at American Apparel.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow business

Want to know more about American Apparel?

Ask a question
Active workplace
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 20, 2016
In a typical day the workplace would be busy trying to get orders out to different countries by a certain time. For the most part we were always busy with work.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
No room for growth
good learning environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 18, 2016
Great for high school students good way to learn way around retail. Management was unorganized and changed a lot with in my 2 years
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
It was a good experience
Cutting Inventory & Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2016
I believe that it was a good experience because the manager helped a lot to learn about what american apparel does but when I worked there the company didn't offered benefits & we had to work hollidays and they weren't paid as time and a half, and they didn't pay vacation either but now they offer full benefits
Awkward Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me how to work with customers and helping them find what they came to find in our store. Appearance is key ! The store must look near perfect so it is easier to find items for customers, also it just attracts customers when they see a clean and organized store. The management was okay, they never really checked up on anyone, I was basically on my own.
Pros
Free clothes each season
Cons
N/a
A good workplace but not the most support from coporate
Store Manager/Inventory (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH and Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Working for American Apparel gave me the opportunity to learn every aspect of the clothing retail business. I held every position the company offered so when I took over my own store I was able to properly train each staff member as well as take care of their task when they were out of town or the position was not currently filled.
Visual merchandising, allocation, processing shipment, pushing store sales by increasing $PT and UPT were daily operations for me.
While working for the company in Chicago I also got to experience what it takes to close, open or move a store location. There was a lot of variety in my work and I was always looking for ways to improve.
My biggest issue was we really needed to hire more employees and corporate would not allow us even though we were beating our sales goals.
Overall I enjoyed my experience with American Apparel.
Opportunity for young people
Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAMay 31, 2016
When I started at AA, the job was hourly plus commission so I was able to blow sales out of the water and more than double my hourly wage on many days but those days are long gone. Management is insanely political and working here means dealing with extensive b***s*** on a regular basis.
Pros
Free Clothes
Cons
annoying management
Fun and Productive work place
Wholesale Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
Great place to work nice and friendly people and nice atmosphere only thing I didn't agree was employee parking was horrible
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Short breaks
Friendly workplace
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 13, 2016
American Apparel was a kind, helpful and friendly workplace. I worked as a back-stock associate so I would mostly deal with incoming and outgoing shipments. I would keep busy processing all of the orders and the shipments received throughout the day, restocking the floor, handling online orders and occasionally helping out the other sales associates with customers. It was a lot of work every now and then but manageable. Whenever I needed help with a certain task, my co-workers or those who worked for the American Apparel support line would have no problem with helping me or finding someone that could help. I would say the most difficult part of the job was towards the holiday season due to bulk shipments received from the factory and the large flow of customers on the floor. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job was how well everyone on the team got along.
Unfortunately, the company was going bankrupt at the time which lead to our location having to close after only being open for a few months.
Pros
employee discount and seasonal allowance
Cons
low wages, closing our location after a short period of time
Retail Job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2016
American Apparel is the store you go to for a party outfit, or to meet a really cool employee and probably go to that party with them.
Fun place to work at
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work is slow but weekends are busy. I've learned the behind the scenes of retail while working here as well.

2.9