American Apparel Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

Awesome
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2017
I loved working for American Apparel. My co workers and manager were amazing to work with. It was a super chill environment. The employee discount was everything. My whole closet is filled with clothes from AA. I honestly would have stated if the company didn't file for bankruptcy.
Loved It!
Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 11, 2017
American Apparel is the best company I have ever worked for. There was always opportunity for promotion. My staff became close friends and even as close as family. We did everything together. The clothes were amazing and you got to engage with many celebrities. The pay was decent for how slow the story could be during off season vs. how busy it was during festival season.
Pros
Pay, Staff
Cons
Slow-pace
Fun stylish environment
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 26, 2017
Good people fun work days. Nice clean and safe workplace, full of engery and outgoing people. management was very easy to get along with. Great work schedules.
Cons
ALL locations closed.
Loved working here.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLJuly 6, 2017
I loved working here. Our company closed down in April due to bankruptcy. It was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I loved the people I worked with. We became a family and I adored them. I would love to go back.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Theft.
great workplace and inspiring coworkers
Inventory key holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
Great company, sadly the company no longer exists. Original clothing at a simple level. AA was a great company to work for and there employee discount was especially amazing.
Pros
discount
Cons
scheduling
Strict Work place and highly competitive for sales
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
I gained most of my managerial experience here, as the daily procedures were very set in stone and delved into the smallest details. It was sometimes overly strict from top management, and it often seemed like they would over exert their positions and create this hierarchy and division. Aside from that, I learned a lot and met a lot of cool people that I still connect with.
Pros
good discount, cool area in BK, long breaks
Cons
poor benefits overall, no security or support from company
Cool Entry Level Retail Job
Key Holder/BackStock Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAMay 26, 2017
Co-workers were cool to work with. Chill environment. Easy to get promoted if you're a good worker. Would recommend for college students looking for some ok income and discount on clothes.
It was an exuberant place to work. It was also very diverse, I'd love to progress there if the company wasn't closing.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2017
I love their clothes, and the style. The clothes were expensive. The company was fun to work for and was very accepting, but it got bought out. I'd work there again if not for the business closure.
Productive & fun
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 4, 2017
Very fun work culture here.. I enjoyed all the parties and free clothes. Hours usually sucked for most people though and there is favoritism since management is so young and still maturing. Very much like high school.
Will miss this crazy place
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 3, 2017
Company is going under so I'm not sure how valuable my review is. This review is also based on working there prior to the change in corporate management. Wonderful company to work for when you are wanting to start retail. Vertically integrated company that encourages promoting from within. It is not hard to work your way up. Despite its controversy, the brand really had a wonderful dream and cared much more about its employees than a typical retailer. Even at a retail level, you felt like you were apart of something bigger than yourself. Direct communication with corporate made you realize that you and your store really did matter at the end of the day.
Pros
Cons
unorganized at times - you never knew what the day would bring

Want to know more about American Apparel?

Ask a question
Productive workplace; Welcoming
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 1, 2017
American Apparel has been one of my favorite companies to work for. Great atmosphere and relationships between the employees made customers come back time and time again. If it were not closing down I would recommend this job to many. A typical day at work for a manager position requires us to lock/unlock the store, cash
Fun company to work for
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 30, 2017
My time at American Apparel was fun, until the very end. My site closed down then I was transferred to a different location. The benefits we got were amazing, and great work environment
Productive and fun work place with an easy going atmosphere and a positive group of likeminded individuals to work with.
Key Holder / Cashier (Current Employee) –  704 BroadwayJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day at work begins with opening the store and informing the associate accompanying me on our tasks or the day and whatever promos may be happening in the store. The main goal of the day is to keep everything running smoothly, making sure all the associates are comfortable in their zone and keeping customers satisfied and being attentive to their needs. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable, which is flying around the store multitasking. Assisting multiple customers while also helping associates if their zone is a little hectic, and even undressing mannequins in the event an item is only available on the mannequin and a customer insists on buying it. The most enjoyable part of the job, is when the job is most fast paced.
Pros
Like minded coworkers, good break time scheduling, easily managed location
Cons
Traffic is slow at times
Serious workplace with great benefits
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Workplace is pretty serious but management is very lenient. Store is always busy which can become pretty overwhelming but for hourly on fast fashion, its worth it.
Pros
Hour breaks
Cons
Sale season
Great, fun, work environment
Keyholder/Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 21, 2016
I have enjoyed my time with AA and will miss the fantastic deals employees get with their clothing (because its not cheap, being sweat shop free) I learned a lot about keeping morale up, leading by example, and lending a hand to those that need it.
Pros
Deals for employee's, great with working around school schedule.
Cons
Rule for black out dates for December needs improvement, Management needs training, and they need to hire more reliable people.
Management who dont care
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHDecember 14, 2016
Very difficult environment to work in, co workers who are difficult with a manager who doesn't care. Favoritism everywhere. No problems get solved, unfair treatment
Really great job to learn everything
Key Holder/Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 13, 2016
Was able to grow within the company from sales associate, to visual merchandiser, to keyholder. I love the brand, the clothes, and its message but it's a shame that they had to close so many locations.
Pros
Love my co-workers, love the clothes, discount, and music. My favorite brand
Cons
The company itself filed for bankruptcy twice in one year and is closing lots of locations down
Not the best
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
Working for this company was the most trying out of all my jobs. Very little pay, not enough hours, very stupid procedures. I made great friends working here but was very stressed most of the time at wok.
Pros
Great Discount
Cons
Little Pay
Learning Experience as My First Job
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
A typical workday was very slow paced. There are times that within an hour, no one would come in. Most AA locations are now like that. I learned how to deal with good & bad customers, in-store theft, and typical NY craziness that would come through the door. Some coworkers were great, others not so much. It is a good networking experience. The hardest part would be having to do the work of others, maybe even the coworkers you get along with, which would strain your friendship. For management, as long as you look great in the clothes and you're friendly, they don't discipline you on your bad behavior if you are not doing any work. They would rather put you on the AA Instagram. The most enjoyable part was, as a teenager, being able to slack off and joke around during slow paced times (sorry I had to admit this). Also, helping as many customers, thats if you have a personal goal of your own.

If you're young but also more mature than others around you, like me, pick somewhere more professional to work at. If you need a quick short time job, make sure the store you're working at has enough hours to give you. If you get hired, you will be hired as a "sales associate" but will be crossed trained in other duties such as inventory. I just recently learned that they will be paying new sales associates at $11 an hour now, plus a new 75% off discount for a few weeks. If you're young, good looking, you look great in AA, and you're a slacker, work for them. They might appreciate you and give you so much attention!
Pros
Good breaks, networking with cool people/coworkers, 50% employee discount
Cons
Favoritism, Incompetent District team, no hours, full time is only available to store management
Fun and interesting workplace
Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2016
I loved being a manager at American Apparel. I dealt with fairly easy customers and was able to sell clothes that I love for a company I respect and admire. I had a great store manager and all of my coworkers were hard-working. I learned about working in retail, as it was my first retail job, and I learned the responsibilities of being a manager and overseeing the entire store and all the employees.
Pros
Discounts on clothing, enjoyable workplace/location