American Apparel Employee Reviews for Stocking Associate

awful place
Backstock associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLSeptember 1, 2017
worst work environment, someones always yelling or being told they're doing something wrong. the managers were a bunch of kids trying to tell each other what to do
loved
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2017
i loved working here mainly because of the discounts on clothes and my coworkers were so fun and outgoing it is so sad that this company closed. i hope they come back
Discriminatory and chaotic environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2017
Workplace was chaotic and extremely disorganized. I worked at many different stores while with the company and while they maintained the same basic structure different managers had totally different priorities.
Regular retail environment
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 27, 2017
Managers sucked
co workers were cool
met alot of models
helped other store locations
nothing enjoyable in my opinion
didn't learn much
Pros
Nice discounts
Cons
management sucked
Fun Place to work with a good company back story
Backstock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2016
At American Apparel I learned how to work as a team to produce a good final result. I am now a more organized person than before and am able to keep up with what is expected of me as an employee.
Friendly workplace
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 13, 2016
American Apparel was a kind, helpful and friendly workplace. I worked as a back-stock associate so I would mostly deal with incoming and outgoing shipments. I would keep busy processing all of the orders and the shipments received throughout the day, restocking the floor, handling online orders and occasionally helping out the other sales associates with customers. It was a lot of work every now and then but manageable. Whenever I needed help with a certain task, my co-workers or those who worked for the American Apparel support line would have no problem with helping me or finding someone that could help. I would say the most difficult part of the job was towards the holiday season due to bulk shipments received from the factory and the large flow of customers on the floor. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job was how well everyone on the team got along.
Unfortunately, the company was going bankrupt at the time which lead to our location having to close after only being open for a few months.
Pros
employee discount and seasonal allowance
Cons
low wages, closing our location after a short period of time
Retail Job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2016
American Apparel is the store you go to for a party outfit, or to meet a really cool employee and probably go to that party with them.
Fun place to work at
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work is slow but weekends are busy. I've learned the behind the scenes of retail while working here as well.
It was a great start for me
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
american apparel, i haved worked with them for 6 months, i had alot of fun there,met alot of new interesting people, learned alittle more bout life from the different backgrounds we all worked with. i was highly more motivated and the fact i always had a task was the best part,customers always will need your help,and when you work in an enviorment like that u can thrive.
enjoying the job
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2015
I love working in an environment where everybody is treated as equal and you aren't judged because of how you look. Most jobs say there's no discrimination when really they just don't let it be shown. I want to enjoy and love what Im doing with positive people around me.
Pros
different types of people understanding co workers
Cons
short breaks
a good slice of classic american pie
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 29, 2015
working at american apparel was the start of me knowing just how hard of a worker i can be
it demanded alot of things like being able to organize and set up stockrooms and sales floors
it made me more of a hands on employee as it was the first job i really went from stock to sales all in the same day constantly
Pros
discount culture and merchandise
Cons
long hours and conflicting schedules
productive
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
working with people who want to work with the company, cool clothes with employee discount. American apparel want you to be hip inside out.
Cons
pressure to look a certain way, work is sometimes tedious
Nice workplace
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2015
Usually, I would go in to work and sign in. Then I would take the back stock keys and walk to the offsite back stock location to start working. I would fold, complete online orders, maintain a clean back stock environment, etc.. It was alright even though for most of the day I was working alone.
Great Retail Clothing Store and Brand
Backstock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at American Apparel during the morning shift consisted of item counts to prevent loss prevention, preparing store transfers, sending out e-mails, preparing online orders for shipment, filling the floor with items from stock room once the store opened, receiving and organizing shipment from truck, organizing and cleaning the stock room.

I learned that plenty can be done in the day with only one to three people on staff. My co-workers and I were very efficient at completing our task list. I enjoyed working there.

The CEO had questionable motives.
Pros
store discount, job culture
Cons
Ceo, upper management
I Love It!
Stock/Sales Dual Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2015
It's a very comfortable work environment. The employees are pleasant, authentic and caring. Typically, we are able to work proficiently and laugh abundantly. I leave work refreshed everyday, by both pride in my work performance and the bonds reestablished daily amongst my peers.
Great People
Back Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  875 S Grand Central Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV 89106August 20, 2014
I learned basic excel and spreadsheet working here and how to find discrepancies. All my co-workers were interesting with all different lifestyles. The hardest part of this job was the perfect folding.
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
Juggling between stock and sales at the same time
hot, but fun work in the stockroom
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
It was fun, although hot and windowless, in the stock room. They are a company that I would work for again, given the opportunity.
People place
Backstock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2014
When it came to the workplace, the people are what made it worth it.
Even if the work was long and tedious, your coworkers were there and everyone looked out for each other. Kind of like a second family.
As for everything else, it was lacking. The labor was manageable, even on a bad day you can get the job done. Management was iffy, but adaptable. What I learned about the job was the protocol behind back-stock and operations.
Pros
Nice staff, events, and some discounts
Cons
At times management will terminate and switch people out at a moment's notice.
american apparel
Backstock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2013
great job i had a wonderful experience. my coworkers was amazing
the best
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2012
i really enjoy working with this company because, i learn more customer services,. i learn how import information, and meet new people. this job was very diverse . co-workers was cool and helpful. the job was very challenge. i never got bored .
Pros
discounts on cloths
Cons
very late nights