american apparel Employee Reviews

Okay
Key Holder (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2015
Pros: discount, flexible hours
Cons: staff changes
Ive worked for the company for a while. Overall i really enjoy working for the company the only downside is that staff and management is always changing, its great when you have a great staff but horrible when you don't.
What makes the company great is the people
Receiving/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), La Mirada, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: co-workers and management
Cons: benefits are the worst, No room to advancement
The reason i think that the people at work make the job is ,because they make you want to work there. The job is not easy, but the people make the job go by faster and the make the job easier. I learn a lot in the place. From the inventory to the computers programs that they used. The co-workers that i had made, made the work very easy. They helped one another and try to do the best that they could to get the job done. The hardest part about the job was trying to stay in one place, Workers are always moved around a lot due to the short staff.
Great Work Atmosphere
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 24, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: healthcare
American Apparel was a unique experience working with all different types of personalities and ages. It allowed me to gain great skills in leading positions.
Do not treat employees well
Backstock Manager (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Free clothes (rarely), working with people my age and with similar interests
Cons: Bad pay, ban managers, nepotistic, unfair firings, disorganized
This job offered a pay well below what similar companies offered for the same work. Starting salary was about minimum wage, and advancing to a managerial position only entailed a few dollar raise. The company treats employees as disposable. Often image and connections were prized over hard work. Strange attitudes on sexuality in the work place. Ultimately, despite my promotion at this company, the overall experience was very poor.
Fun based on your style
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 15, 2015
Pros: 50% discount
Cons: No break room
When i first got hired they told me i can be free and be myself but once i started working you can't wear nothing BUT AMERICAN APPAREL which sucks because i have different styles. The manager was really sweet though.
OK place to work
Associate (Temp) (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYMay 15, 2015
I didn't work on the floor but i worked in a factory in a store in new york called xyz. Calm and cool work days!! Plus they gave me mad hours when i was working there!!
could be better conducted
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), La Mirada, CAMay 6, 2015
When i stared working there they had just opened the La Miranda distribution and although the work was not to hard to do, they had trouble running an efficient work system. Everyone was out of tune, not on the same page and there were a lot of problems, which led to a lot of lay offs.
Hard to work here
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2015
Most of the entire staff does not speak english. Most of the Machinery is broken. Never had the tools needed for the job to be done correctly. Very cheap with supplies to be used and they want the work to be done great with little supplies.
Productive, and quite exhausting.
Team Member (Former Employee), CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, and Parties on special holidays.
Cons: The environment was dirty, and certain equipment wasn't safe to be around workers
A day at work would consist of me running back and forth in this warehouse. I would usually have to arrive at work thirty minutes before all my co-workers would show up to prepare whatever was needed in preparation for them to start working. The product we worked on day in and day out was usually shirts,sweaters,jackets, and baseball tees. I've learned to communicate with people and remain calm although something went wrong, and try to find a solution as soon as possible. I was a Team Service/Team Supervisor member which means I'am responsible of what goes on the table, and what is being sent out the QC. I would say I got along with most the people I worked with. Although there were one or two people there that I didn't along with I tried to just work with them and get everything done as my boss asked me too. The hardest part of the job was preparation. At my job preparation meant first come first serve. Whoever was there first got the right material for their team, and whoever was late had to take all the risky material. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to walk around seeing everyone smile and tell me that I'm doing good at my job.
Easy workplace
Sales associate/Cashier (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 28, 2015
Pros: 50% discount off clothes
Cons: Short breaks
I learned a lot about the computer system and how much work goes on behind the sales floor, cleaning throughly and checking for tags left behind. Easy job, some heavy lifting. All the coworkers got along with each other. Reaching goal at the end of the day was a plus, because we know we had a lot of sales that day.
Productive place. Just no wats to advance.
Driver Lift Operator (Current Employee), La Mirada, CAApril 23, 2015
Pros: I am certified through American apparel to drive a forklift.
Cons: Low Pay. No benefits.
I work as a forklift operator. I started as a picker/packer. The company is a good company, management just doesnt look out for their employees. No benefits. Pay is really low for the late hours i work.
Productive and nice work flow
Picker/Packer (Former Employee), la mirada, califorinaApril 13, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: Short breaks
A typical day at work is coming in on time, making sure your really ready for work and ready for any accidents to happen. I make sure I learn something new each day so i can be able to move up in the company. I management my work so that everything is in order. My co-workers are my co-workers nothing more, unless I am the boss then I would want my co-workers to be my buddy. The hardest part of the job is lunch breaks because I am missing out on good money. I enjoy making my money and bettering the company.
a friendly work place
Knitting operator (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2015
Pros: room to move up
Cons: short of work
I like that it had three shifts,management was fair the coworkers where team workers,nothing was hard about the job i enjoyed working with others
Gained a lot of experience
Store Manager (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CAApril 5, 2015
Pros: good discount and healthcare
Cons: sales associates can be really irresponsible
I worked for American Apparel for 2 years. I started off as a sales associate and moved up to the corporate office as a returns adviser for the online/wholesale department. After that I went back to retail to manage two of the highest volume stores in Los Angeles. I was given a good raise and health insurance as well as a heavily discounted metro pass. My supervisors were great mentors and taught me a great deal. If you work hard and are sharp, then you will be successful within the company.
an active work place
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 3, 2015
Pros: Moving up in position
Cons: not good hours of work
The typical day at work is to arrange the work and he schedule for the workers, order office and instrument tools . I learned how to manage the money for new projects and how to keep everything in order. Management was ok. The co-workers had good customer service and good work force. The hardest part was to keep a new project going with all the new orders . The most enjoyable part is getting to know new people.
Great place
Accounting Manager (Current Employee), Los Angles, CAApril 1, 2015
Cons: Healthcare
This is a fast past environment. I have learned a lot since working here. Wholesale is a wonderful environment to see how the company operates through manufacture of goods and selling out to customers
pros and cons
Production Planner and Coordinator (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 31, 2015
Pro's:
- Sense of accomplishment
- Great manager and teamwork across depts.
- Ability to make decisions and resolve issues
- Not micro-managed for the most part

Con's:
- Work is either super busy or super slow
- Department Directors don't provide support when needed and push you to get what they want.
- When some "managers" don't fulfill their job functions which prevents you from being able to do yours.
- Difficult to move up in the company
No Comment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 30, 2015
I earned a lot but I would never work for this company again. Really bad management and they change their rules way too often.
Good hard Construction work
DATA ENTRY AND ORDER TRACKER CLERK SEASONAL WORK (Former Employee), La Mirada, CAMarch 29, 2015
I do respect the people who perform this job. It is tough and the overtime was great. Pretty straight forward, not much else to say today.
Great product, weird culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great product, advancement opportunity
Cons: Strange CEO and a few odd policies
It was great getting experience at this company and fun as well. The culture is a bit specific and those who don't fit perfectly can get left in the dust while feeling taken advantage of.