American Apparel Employee Reviews

Easy Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, NYJuly 6, 2016
American Apparel was my first job and i loved it. Working at AA was all about adaptability. The best part about work were my Co-Workers and the part i hated the most were the in store managers. Not all Managers were bad just the ones at the Williamsburg Location. They were passive aggressive bullies that made it clear that they did not like you. It got so bad i had to contact HR and get a transfer. But overall American Apparel is very easy and made me want to work hard.
Pros
Good Hours, 50% Discount
Cons
Bad Management
First Job, Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 1, 2016
Working at American Apparel was my first job and it was a job that helped me learn my attitude towards work. I learned so many things about myself while embracing a totally different environment then what I was used to. The image of American Apparel was one that I had to learn to represent in a way that gave a good view of the products I was selling. Eventually, I was able to do so helping me learn how to adapt to the conditions around me as a sales person. Leaving AA was a decision I had to make due to time for me to move away for college. I still will always remember the work place as a positive experience and have used it as my number one reference for others to gain insight into my work ethic. I was seen as a hard worker and one who learned quickly at American Apparel.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow business
Active workplace
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 20, 2016
In a typical day the workplace would be busy trying to get orders out to different countries by a certain time. For the most part we were always busy with work.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
No room for growth
good learning environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 18, 2016
Great for high school students good way to learn way around retail. Management was unorganized and changed a lot with in my 2 years
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
It was a good experience
Cutting Inventory & Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2016
I believe that it was a good experience because the manager helped a lot to learn about what american apparel does but when I worked there the company didn't offered benefits & we had to work hollidays and they weren't paid as time and a half, and they didn't pay vacation either but now they offer full benefits
Awkward Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me how to work with customers and helping them find what they came to find in our store. Appearance is key ! The store must look near perfect so it is easier to find items for customers, also it just attracts customers when they see a clean and organized store. The management was okay, they never really checked up on anyone, I was basically on my own.
Pros
Free clothes each season
Cons
N/a
A good workplace but not the most support from coporate
Store Manager/Inventory (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH and Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Working for American Apparel gave me the opportunity to learn every aspect of the clothing retail business. I held every position the company offered so when I took over my own store I was able to properly train each staff member as well as take care of their task when they were out of town or the position was not currently filled.
Visual merchandising, allocation, processing shipment, pushing store sales by increasing $PT and UPT were daily operations for me.
While working for the company in Chicago I also got to experience what it takes to close, open or move a store location. There was a lot of variety in my work and I was always looking for ways to improve.
My biggest issue was we really needed to hire more employees and corporate would not allow us even though we were beating our sales goals.
Overall I enjoyed my experience with American Apparel.
Opportunity for young people
Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAMay 31, 2016
When I started at AA, the job was hourly plus commission so I was able to blow sales out of the water and more than double my hourly wage on many days but those days are long gone. Management is insanely political and working here means dealing with extensive b***s*** on a regular basis.
Pros
Free Clothes
Cons
annoying management
Fun and Productive work place
Wholesale Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
Great place to work nice and friendly people and nice atmosphere only thing I didn't agree was employee parking was horrible
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Short breaks
Friendly workplace
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 13, 2016
American Apparel was a kind, helpful and friendly workplace. I worked as a back-stock associate so I would mostly deal with incoming and outgoing shipments. I would keep busy processing all of the orders and the shipments received throughout the day, restocking the floor, handling online orders and occasionally helping out the other sales associates with customers. It was a lot of work every now and then but manageable. Whenever I needed help with a certain task, my co-workers or those who worked for the American Apparel support line would have no problem with helping me or finding someone that could help. I would say the most difficult part of the job was towards the holiday season due to bulk shipments received from the factory and the large flow of customers on the floor. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the job was how well everyone on the team got along.
Unfortunately, the company was going bankrupt at the time which lead to our location having to close after only being open for a few months.
Pros
employee discount and seasonal allowance
Cons
low wages, closing our location after a short period of time
Retail Job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2016
American Apparel is the store you go to for a party outfit, or to meet a really cool employee and probably go to that party with them.
Fun place to work at
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 9, 2016
A typical day at work is slow but weekends are busy. I've learned the behind the scenes of retail while working here as well.
Problem Solving
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
While working with American Apparel I have learned how to effectively help customers; giving them what they need and more. As well as maintaining the store and back stock organized.
Pros
Discount on clothing.
good company
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 7, 2016
but not a good pay rate for the for the warehouse leads that have a lot of years working for the company. they give u more work task and not that many employee's to complete it and the 3rd shift there is no difference pay for working grave yard we make the same as first and second shift .
Pros
experience for your resume
Cons
some employee's
Productive and unified
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 5, 2016
While working at American Apparel I have been able to meet various customers from different industries and personalities. My co-workers are young, innovative, and full of life. We are a constructive and determined group of people which is what pushes me to succeed. A typical day at American Apparel requires my fellow associates and I to clean the store for opening. Count registers, update daily sales sheet, and send out opening reports. Throughout the day assisting customers, HQ employees on their purchasing needs and standardizing are the main focus. Although helping the visual merchandise team, maintaining store standards, and communicating with backstroke on go backs are other tasks we may handle from day to day.
Pros
ordering delivery to work, and seasonal incentives.
Cons
constant construction
Efficient working environment
Backstock Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 3, 2016
A typical day at work would include me opening the store with another keyholder. I would receive shipment, conduct a floor scan, clean the cash registers, contact corporate regarding the next shipment deliveries and floor arrangements. I would then scan and steam the morning shipment and place them on the sales floor if they were not designated to be placed in the backstock. Once finished, I would fulfill online orders and conduct a backstock scan to regulate the clothing we had in our back section. I would then work on the floor and assist customers in anything that they needed. I learned how to complete tedious and large tasks efficiently while under a very tight time restraint and how to address customer issues in a polite helpful way. I also learned how to conduct the special procedures that only American Apparel uses. My co-workers were helpful if necessary and a positive encouragement. The hardest part of the job would be when we would have to "flip" the store which is essentially receiving all of the new products through shipment and then taking all of the old products off of the floor to replace it with the new merchandise. This process would take almost two days to complete and we would stay over time until about 4 a.m. to complete the flip quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how happy the customer was after trying on an outfit and having them feel absolutely beautiful in the merchandise.
Company Bankruptcy
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMarch 31, 2016
Because of the company going into bankruptcy, the company took all of the commission jobs away. This winded up hurting employees including myself in the long run.
Pros
High Discount, great staff
No longer a full of opportunity
Retail Dept. (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2016
There used to be a lot of upward mobility and some people were encouraged to "create their own position," but now the new management is making the tough decisions that probably would have kept the company out of bankruptcy had they been done years ago. Over inflated departments are downsizing, there are budgets, and people in higher position now have experience or training in their field. In the long run that is for the best, in the short run it means a lot of talent is being lost, not to mention unskilled employees who have worked hard. It's extremely demoralizing.

I don't know how the culture will change going forward, but getting a raise has been extremely difficult for a long time, unless you have some sort of "in." There is no regular review system and raises are rejected without any explanation even when employees have been loyal for years and only make minimum wage.

Also, the parking situation is a nightmare, a scene from Mad Max.
Pros
Dog Friendly, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay, No Raises, Lots of Cost Cutting, Terrible Parking
Not that nice
keyholder (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
easy to move up but you're left without any guidance.You don't get to learn much unless you teach yourself. It wasn't a very nice company to work for. A lot of the people who work there are in constant complaint.
Pros
not many
Cons
unorganized
not the best
Store Manager - Columbus Circle (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Typical work days are fairly easy, as long as you are motivated. In-store management is very helpful, while district management is not the best with communication and can seem either overbearing or too distant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Apparel. Our community is ready to answer.