American Apparel Employee Reviews

Fun, challenging, but unstructured
RETAIL (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2017
Fun place to work but quite chaotic. The expectations could be demanding and unclear. Constantly put in positions to learn and succeed. Proud to be a part of a company that paid garment workers fair wages.
Pros
Great workplace community
Cons
Unstructured
Great work environment for those hard workers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2017
Work was a steady heavy load of a lot of management and tasks preformed by myself. As a manager and inventory manager I was constantly dealing with incoming goods and working the sales floor. I felt fulfilled in the workplace because I came in and got straight to things every day and worked my hardest. The toughest thing while employed there was the upper management and how staff was dealt with by them. There was a great deal of laziness in the company that was hardly reprimanded at any point. I did enjoy my time there because I was learning all the time and I was busy, and also given the opportunity to better myself as an employee.
Pros
Learning experience in inventory and allocations
Cons
Upper management and company culture
American Apparel
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2017
This was my first position with a retail company and it was an overall negative one. The pay was abysmal and the benefits were only available to those who consistently worked 30 hours or more.
it was ok
Inventory/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2017
It wasn't anything to brag about. There wasn't any security and we were harassed everyday. I wouldn't recommend anyone working there. The company does't care about their employees.
Cons
no hours
Relaxing atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 15, 2017
American Apparel provided a safe, fun and detail oriented workplace. Management was clear and concise about expectations and did their best to make sure you were successful.
productive
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2017
super easy days at work
I learned how to set up meeting, answer phone calls, assist the boss
management was very good
hardest part about this job was keeping up with all the meeting and phone calls
the most enjoyable is meet all kinds of new people and talking to a bunch over businesses
Love!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMay 9, 2017
I enjoyed the people and the benefits as well. But more so the people I got to meet along the way. This is a judge free environment and you're able to be yourself.
Discriminatory and chaotic environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2017
Workplace was chaotic and extremely disorganized. I worked at many different stores while with the company and while they maintained the same basic structure different managers had totally different priorities.
Productive & fun
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 4, 2017
Very fun work culture here.. I enjoyed all the parties and free clothes. Hours usually sucked for most people though and there is favoritism since management is so young and still maturing. Very much like high school.
Picker (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMay 3, 2017
Really busy at American Apperal. Fast pace working place. I learned how to getting orders together. Completed order recieps. Iliked Creating nessasary documents for shipping/recieving such as bills of lading, commercial Invoices, Shipper.
Pros
Graveyard Shift liked it at the time.
Cons
Eye Care
Assistant Store Manager at American Apparel
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 1, 2017
As the Assistant Store Manager, I opened and closed the store. I typically worked around 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. The upper level management was responsive, but not as organized as management I had worked for in years prior. The culture was dark, considering the fact that the company was being sold and all of the retail stores were closing and the workers were being let go. I learned that even in the toughest times, it's still important to provide exceptional customer service and experiences because at the end of the day, sales is about providing and making money for a company, and that is what we were being paid to do.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Low pay, poor healthcare, low budget.
Productive rates
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Opp, ALMay 1, 2017
A fun work place with benefits and flex work hours. They work with you in any way possible. The half a day on Friday is an extra bonus to working here.
Fun and Laid Back
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 29, 2017
Show up to a store you opened, cleaned up and took care of. It was very relaxed, felt like a home away from home. The only thing that was a little strange was HQ management.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management (HQ)
Stressful
Web Picker (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 22, 2017
I worked at an American Apparel warehouse, and it was extremely unpleasant. Some Managers and most employees were extremely rude. It makes you not want to come back
Company is a good company it just had very few work hours offered.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43201April 21, 2017
Ok job it did'nt offer enough part time work hours .Besides the few work hours the company was great , staff nice and , nice work environment , the manager was great with the staff and helpful too .
Pros
Breaks 10 min.
Cons
Not enough work hours .
niced people.
HIGH VALUE/SPECIAL PACKING LEAD (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 18, 2017
its a good place to work. nice people. clean warehouse. people helps you if you need help. nice coworkers. people are friendly. the manager and supervisor help you a lot.
Fun and easy place to work
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAApril 18, 2017
I've been with the company for a little over 4 years. Too bad now that the company is going out of business. Overall I think this company was great to work for. I've enjoyed my positions with American Apparel and am sad to see it go.
Pros
easy, chill, employee discount on clothes
Cons
pay can be low sometimes
Very fast pace and energetic place. Filled with a variety of job tasks available.
Inventory picker/ shippings clerk (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 13, 2017
My experience here was fantastic. It was definitely a learning experience working with different types of cultures as well as the admin and supervisors. Each day employees wore bright smiles and light attitudes. The work was highly accomadated with state of the art manufacturing equipment.
Pros
Stable work security. Friendly environmenr, Food catering was beyond exceptional
Cons
None.
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
The company overall was a fun place to work in. we had event to broadcast our brand. discount parties for customers. Staff were always energetic and positive. we had store competitions that made management not all about paper work. we had a set goal that we needed to make for the day and month. also the clothing allowance was a plus.
Pros
Allowence
Cons
bad pay
Great place to start and learn retail operations
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2017
I really enjoyed working here, especially once becoming a store manager. The company allowed for creative flexibility. Unfortunately, the unstable financial foundation of the company resulted in the company being bought out and stores closed.