american apparel

american apparel United States Employee Reviews

Loved my job
Cutting Room Coordinator (Former Employee), Centre, ALDecember 15, 2014
Pros: loved my job, the hours, and close to home
Cons: not really any advancement
Most days were the same. I moved material from one lay to another or unloaded a truck moving the material to the shelves. I drove the fork lift most of the day unless I was walking around checking on things. I completed inventory at the end of the month and at the end of the year. I worked here until I heard that the plant was closing and then I left because I did not want to be without a job and have a family.
i give this place an over all of 2 stars,because i loved working next to the beach and staying close to the fashion world.
Back House Associate (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CADecember 14, 2014
Pros: next to the beach
Cons: poor management
Unstable work scedule and poor management, A dramma filled work place!
productive place
Warehouse Lead & Inventory Control (Current Employee), la miradaDecember 10, 2014
Pros: job experience
Cons: bad pay rate
this is a good job i work as a lead for 6 years for this company but only got $ 1.00 more after all this time no a good pay rate
Hard working staff
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Greater New York AreaDecember 7, 2014
Overall great retail experience. My responsibilties were analyzing sale reports on weekly basis to optimize product placement and carrying styles that would appeal to specific store location clientele.
Store manager made it a fun environment to work in
In the absence of manager (Former Employee), Norwalk, CTNovember 24, 2014
Pros: working with clothes and a great staff
Cons: no traffic no sales
Typical day working at the store started off pretty slow due to the location of the store. Goals weren't always met because of the lack of traffic flow but we tried our hardest to push sales whenever possible. My co-workers and I were such a great team always willing to help each other out with different tasks around the store and doing late night store inventory. I learned a lot of responsibility roles being in charge when the store manager was not around. Hardest part of the job was closing the store with sales way down because it was just simply a slow day.
Counting Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2014
An productive company with various tasks and jobs. Great for starters going into the workforce.
A&F Brand
General Manager (Former Employee), Short Hills, NJNovember 13, 2014
Ruehl is currently closed. There was no where to advance. Coworkers were great.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 27, 2014
I had an amazing time working here. Not only did it teach me different responsibilities, it taught me how to work well with others. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others mainly because I genuinely love to do it. Also, the staff that I worked with were very friendly and welcoming and I enjoyed working with each and everyone of them.
Great discount on clothing
Store Manager (Former Employee), Los Feliz, Little Tokyo and Downtown LAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: growth opportunities
Cons: salary
Depending on store location it can be a fast or slow pace environment.
It is a competitive work place for the sales floor teams. They are given individual daily goals to meet. And as a store overall a Monthly Goal. The company is very goal oriented.
Pay is decent and may vary by location and personal preferences.
Most store teams are fun, positive and friendly. It is a job that easily becomes a life style.
Got to listen to music while working.
Inspector/Screener (Former Employee), Opp, ALOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free meals on holidays
Cons: nothing ever changed so people would get burnt out on their jobs.
The hardest part of the job was interacting with certain people. The job itself was pretty simple just fast paced.
very productive workplace
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), La Mirada, CAOctober 14, 2014
supervisers and managers show the employees respect and teach the employee how to work properly
Cool and creative place, but company needs more improvement.
Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: discounts, clothing allowances
Cons: no security, high theft
American Apparel is what I consider to be a "freshman in the fashion and business world." Its unique style and marketing brings a lot of attention to the younger crowd. It's style is so different and unique to the point where there are other clothing stores imitating their top selling and basic pieces. When I think of working for a younger and hip clothing store aimed at teens and young adults, I believe in letting them have the ability to express themselves. American Apparel requires you to wear their clothing and accessories from head to toe only. Meaning no outside clothing, shoes, and jewlery. I respect that dress code because it promotes their clothing and makes the customer want to buy what's off of the employees depending on how they wear it. Most of the employees are also models for the company and either model for their instagram profile and or their actualy website which is very cool and excites applicants. But as far as theft, they don't have security in a lot of the locations which has become a huge safety issue within this company. Many employees throughout the years in the Washington, D.C. area have faced multiple assualts with either weapons or sexually. The company has yet tried to fix the security problem at our stores which led to more theft and assualt cases. But besides that, the company is very fun to work for if you're a fashionista or fashionisto.
Dynamic and
Corporate Visual Merchandiser/Management (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2014
Pros: free parking, flexible schedule
Cons: low pay
- Analyzed sales data from prior day, maintenance and updates in any visuals around store, assisted in hiring process, etc.
- Learned to manage my time, multitask and delegate work/tasks amongst a team
- Structured management with good communications with staff
- Enjoyed the company of my co-workers because we all enjoyed our positions
- Being able to extend myself creatively was the most enjoyable part of the job
Great opportunity to learn vertical manufactuing within the US.
Manager of Operations (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2014
Fast paced environment given the vertical manufacturing. Communicate with all levels and departments ensuring product is efficiently fulfilled for end customer. Very dynamic environment and a hands on approach from senior management.
Human Resource
Associated Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2014
Its a very hips place for younger generation, but company need more to be more standardized for working procedure.
A Day at A.A
Key Holder (Former Employee), White Plains, NYSeptember 21, 2014
A typical work day would consist of me opening the store, disarming the alarm, turning on the lights, and doing a floor fill before the store is open to ensure that floor fill was successful the night before. I would then send out emails with the numbers for the day to corporate & then open the store. Shipment would arrive midday, I worked with a team of 3-4 people who helped me finish everything on time and have the store up to company standards. The hardest part of the job didn't exist, all the tasks were manageable and the environment created allowed you to feel comfortable to enjoy yourself while you work.
Fun place to work, as well get culture.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2014
Pros: making your own ark work
Cons: speaking spanish
Typical start up the machine as well get the artwork ready and set up. From there send it to the machine then start working until break. We sometime listen to music so the work doesn't get to boring after a while. we get two break and an lunch. We meet new customer as well make ark work for them.
Good workplace
Assistant Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 19, 2014
As soon as I get into work in the morning i had to go straight to work. Made sure everything was organized and and prepared for the day. i learned a lot in this job that has to do with inventory. I was making sure employees were given duties for the day and walk them through those duties making sure they knew what they were doing before I left the workplace. Management was not excellent they needed to improve on hiring people. Co-workers were great people personality wise but when it came to work they didn't seem to take it to serious and I can't really work with people that's not on their A game at all times. Hardest part was making sure that all my duties were done by the time I was ready to go. Most enjoyable was definitely the customers and the area around me; great people to be surrounded by.
productive
Consumer Returns Agent (Current Employee), La Mirada, CASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: nothing free or bonu
Cons: 30 min lunch, bad benefit, no holiday no vacation.
1 shift Morning, Daisy work out for short per for health and stretch out, learning a lot of thing like everything for warehouse, like scanner, picking, packing, etc.

Management such a receive at dock, consumer return package count, process an RMA used computer such a Microsoft, word etc. cowork helpful friendship, it hard part of my work, need to be work as faster for productivity daisy. With Co worker of each person help each other.
fun place to work ,real busy
Order Puller/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: night job with weekends off
Cons: no raises
busy work all night , so i was always busy , co workers made job easy knowing you can count on them to help with boxes when you need to climb high to get boxes.

About american apparel

American Apparel wants you to be hip and comfortable inside and out. It designs and makes logo-free T-shirts, tank tops, yoga – Read more

american apparel Salaries

Assistant Manager
$30,000 per year

american apparel Photos

Lobby
Receiving table for clothes/ alarm / steaming station.
Stock room at American Apparel