American Apparel Employee Reviews

Awful Company
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Opp, ALJuly 29, 2017
I would never recommend this company. The management does not care about the employees at all. Favoritism is very bad within this company. This is a very stressful place to work and the employees are very much unappreciated. There is no open door policy and confidentiality does not exist in this company among management. The management is very vindictive and backstabbing.
Pros
1 week Paid vacation during the summer and during Christmas
Cons
Management does not care about the employees and they are very deceitfu and untrustworthy
Fun stylish environment
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 26, 2017
Good people fun work days. Nice clean and safe workplace, full of engery and outgoing people. management was very easy to get along with. Great work schedules.
Cons
ALL locations closed.
I am very proud to work at American Apparel.
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJuly 25, 2017
my co-workers and I work well together to accomplish our organization's goals.
Job is enjoyable and challenging and I am made to feel that I am an important part of the company.
I have the flexibility to arrange my work schedule to meet my personal/family responsibilities.
I am treated fairly by my manager or supervisor.
The hardest part of the job is there aren't opportunities for promotion.
Over all I am very satisfied that I work that company.
Pros
free lunch, barbecue party for special occation
Cons
health care plan, vacations, holidays
Fun, creative, and enjoyable environment for sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJuly 25, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of opening/closing the store, making sure it was clean and maintained, working a lot with sales to meet our goals for the day. I learned more about sales and customer service prior to my past experience of 3 years in sales. I worked a lot in providing customers with excellent assistance, making sure the store was top notch and clean, and also communicating positively and effectively with other associates. Management was available at any time. American Apparel's workplace culture was positive, fun, and creative. The hardest part of the job was that sales were slow at times and it was hard to meet our goal. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and having fun with sales.
Pros
Received allowance for clothes
Cons
Not given enough hours
Good company to work for easy job.
Scanner/Packer (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJuly 24, 2017
My expirence at american apparel was good. The manager was a good genuine person. He was open to give overtime to who ever wanted to stay. The work enviroment was good also. Everyone was friendly and kept to theirselves. Didnt have any issues with anyone.
Pros
Possbile chance of getting promoted quickly.
Cons
The breaks could have been longer.
Not the most suportive company to work for
Accounting Manager - International (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2017
very little, if any, work life balance. CEO was of a questionable nature. Eventually was ousted by the Board. Company recently filed for bankruptcy..
Pros
International exposure
Cons
bad management
Supportive, fast paced work environment with great hours!
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 15, 2017
During a typical day at American Apparel, I would arrive at work approximately around 9:00am or 2:00pm. My typical shifts were 9am-6pm or 2pm-10pm. As a manager on duty, I was responsible for opening or closing the store on any given day.

The most enjoyable part of my job at American Apparel was my coworkers. The workplace culture was supportive and relaxed, yet fast paced.
Pros
fast paced, good management, lots of hours
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Opp, ALJuly 15, 2017
It was a good company to work for, i made pretty good money there, when we ran out of work they would find me something else to do instead of sending me home
Pros
Rode with my sister to save gas
Cons
Long drive
Productive and good environment
Environmental Health & Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2017
A typical day at work was something to look forward to a lot of good people enjoyed what i did. My management was a very helpful to me and others employees.
reason why there are closed now
"Lead" Shipping Data entry (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2017
i worked here for 3 plus years and never was giving an opportunity to advance there was so much favoritism it was pointless to try to work hard to get notice. if she didn't like you and she was dating the boss then your life was pretty much over. no regard to disabilities i was pregnant and they threatened to fire me if i didn't stay for inventory which was 12hr not including the fact that i was data entry which meat i had to stay even longer .... best example of a sweat shop.
Pros
felt like high school but with a paycheck
Cons
no raises no advancement break labor lwas
Loved working here.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLJuly 6, 2017
I loved working here. Our company closed down in April due to bankruptcy. It was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I loved the people I worked with. We became a family and I adored them. I would love to go back.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Theft.
loved
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2017
i loved working here mainly because of the discounts on clothes and my coworkers were so fun and outgoing it is so sad that this company closed. i hope they come back
company too cheap
Fashion Designer (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJune 24, 2017
company doesn't produce a high quality product to their costumer. always late on making decision, making dead line way close to cancelations and some times loosing customer
Pros
cheap product
it was a good job
Shipping & Reciever/ Packer (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 15, 2017
To obtain a challenging position where advancement opportunities exist for a dedicated hard working employee who is resourceful, energetic, competent and results-oriented individual, drawing off my talents, abilities and skills to enhance the organization.
A progressive clothing company with a great premise
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  345 7th Ave, New York, NYJune 9, 2017
American Apparel was a lovely company to be a part of. Day to day, understanding hourly sales, maintaining sales associate duties/ engagement, and relaying all information to district and regional management was key to a successful day. With working for American Apparel for almost 4 years, I learned an abundance from the retail and clothing industry, especially from American Apparel's standpoint being an vertically integrated, 'made in the USA', fair wage company. From its contributions to LGBT community and oversea's involvement with Sierra Leone, to collaborations with up and coming visual artists-- American Apparel had a large input in the clothing industry. Employees from store to store had unique attributes/ understandings to customers and their needs. Knowing you are selling clothing that contributes to something more was what had me stay a part of its team.
Pros
Flexible work times for young employees, open to uniqueness both in employees and customers
Cons
Basic, brandless clothing styles sold for a high price (but for a reason!)
Great work environment but not well managed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 8, 2017
I didn't have enough proper training and my managers didn't really keep tabs of what I was learning I basically had to pick up tips for co-workers. However, I did learn how to convince and sell product.
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
inconstant hours
Under bad management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lamirada, CAJune 6, 2017
The company went out of business due to economic losses from numerous law suits.To many unprofessional leads and supervisors making bad and or unnecessary decision.
Cons
Under paid no salary advances
great workplace and inspiring coworkers
Inventory key holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
Great company, sadly the company no longer exists. Original clothing at a simple level. AA was a great company to work for and there employee discount was especially amazing.
Pros
discount
Cons
scheduling
Strict Work place and highly competitive for sales
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
I gained most of my managerial experience here, as the daily procedures were very set in stone and delved into the smallest details. It was sometimes overly strict from top management, and it often seemed like they would over exert their positions and create this hierarchy and division. Aside from that, I learned a lot and met a lot of cool people that I still connect with.
Pros
good discount, cool area in BK, long breaks
Cons
poor benefits overall, no security or support from company
Productive, long hours,
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMay 31, 2017
Up to 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week. Order selecting all the orders in a timely manner. Very clean & organized work area. A lot of walking, climbing, reaching throughout the job.
Pros
Discount on clothes, promotions
Cons
No healthcare