American Association for Cancer Research Employee Reviews in United States

Trained my team-working and organizing abilities.
Symposium Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 8, 2016
Trained my team-working and organizing abilities. A great opportunity for biomedical students and researchers to get in touch with the top researchers in the field.
Revolving Door-- Do NOT Work Here
Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 2, 2016
Horrible Place, No flexibility
Cons: CEO, CFO for their lack of vision and most of HR dept.
Revolving door. They pay well to get people to come work here because they can't keep the good people. The incompetent and long tenure folks who have no energy or talent stay.

No work at home or flex time. Even if you request to work thru lunch and leave an hour early---you will need to use a vacation day. Regardless that you work 9-10 hour days. Regardless that you're an Exempt Professional.

CEO, CFO need to go for their lack of vision and most of the HR department. Their testing is a joke and HR never informed me it would take two hours. I almost walked out.
Pros
some of the people
Cons
see above
Some departments have no room for advancement
Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2015
Depending on the department, you either have great managers or inefficient manager. Some departments have few positions for advancement. There is also no work at home program.
Pros
NOW offers flextime
Cons
No work at home, no room for advancement depending on the department.
Satisfying Work, Yet Sluggish Career Outlook
Membership Services Liaison (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2013
Working in Membership Services, I juggle many responsibilities, from troubleshooting clients' issues with accessing electronic journal subscriptions and submitting dues, to fielding a constant stream of inquiries about membership within the Association, details of our many medical conferences, and a variety of other topics. I have thus honed my ability to multitask and have developed the patience and endurance necessary to serve a wide span of clients, both domestic and international. Due to the fast-paced nature of this position, I have learned to adhere to strict schedules to ensure all goals are met.

I am lucky enough to have both a coordinator and director who are supportive and approachable, and rather than shy away from their constructive criticism, I eagerly listen, as I value my reputation as a dedicated, hard worker. Collaborating with my co-workers is a pleasure, as we have a mutual respect for each others' ideas. I feel we all pull our weight within our small department and this creates a positive, encouraging atmosphere.

While I have cooperative colleagues, we are under-staffed and this leads to a fair amount of stress during busy periods. However, I am able to shoulder the extra responsibilities and believe it has actually improved my coping skills.

Meeting clients' needs is a rewarding experience. I assist individuals from the high school level all the way up to seasoned P.I.'s and professors. Unsurprisingly, many keep hectic schedules and are looking for quick yet effective solutions to their inquiries. I enjoy meeting their needs and making their days a little
  more... easier. Dually, I find it satisfying to run reports and pull statistics from our database to analyze the organization's outlook--it fulfills my meticulous nature.

As evident, I am fond of my workplace. However, it has become apparent there is little to no room for advancement. The organization prefers to "not rock the boat" if employees are performing well in their present positions and they rarely promote voluntarily. Even if approached by an employee, management is reluctant to discuss the possibility of a promotion. While benefits are great, pay is not commensurate with effort. The discouragement of not seeing any advancement opportunities in sight has caused me to move on in search of a company able to offer me room to grow. I hope to find this through working with you.
Pros
enjoyable colleagues, great healthcare benefits
Cons
no room for advancement, stagnant pay scale

2.8