Medical/scientific association in Washington, DC, seeks a creative, detail-oriented, Database Administrator. Reporting to the Manager, Application Development, the Database Administrator will assist in performing the following moderately complex professional tasks under the supervision of the Application Development Manager. The role will be to assist with strategic design and implement databases across the organization, while ensuring high levels of data availability. Establishes standard database queries in the Aptify system and creates queries to the database to process marketing list requests for staff.
The position will:
- Maintain, administer, test and support all association database systems.
- Designs logical and physical databases, reviews description of changes to database design to understand how changes to be made affect physical database tables, structures and relationships.
- Learn AACC business rules that affect the database and how changes to those rules affect the integrity of the databases and processes.
- Enhance functionality by configuring database applications or custom designing applications using Microsoft Development Tools such as VB.NET
- Employ database best practices and standards. Ensure highest level of database security and performance.
- Design and create database business intelligence reports and complex queries.
- Design and create database scripts both in SQL and VB.NET using APIs while maintaining database referential integrity and API vendor compliance.
- Monitor SQL Server performance. Verify the Database Schedules and backups for Aptify and other data servers. Monitor the nightly scripts, logs, database growth rate, event logs and make necessary modifications t optimize performance. Run profiler to determine long running queries and potential bottlenecks and fix them. Run Perform to measure the disk pressure and potential bottlenecks.
- Establishes physical database parameters for the membership, financial and e-commerce applications.
- Assists in managing the updates and new software releases for all database systems, i.e., APTIFY.
- Writes database descriptions and specifies identifiers of tables in database management system.
- Assists in testing new programming language versions that are released by vendors before updating database applications.
- Writes and executes necessary SQL scripts that identify and repairs failures in data normalization standards, (i.e., Membership trigger failed during update process).
- Assists in data conversion processes by preparing data for new applications.
- Ensures databases can pass data between servers for reporting and processing purposes.
- Tests and corrects errors, and refines changes to database in both the development and production environment.
- Modifies database programs that increase end user processing performance or meet newly introduced processing requirements.
- Specifies user access in the database and the permission level for each segment of one or more data items such as insert, replace, retrieve, or delete data.
- Create /run SSIS packages to Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) external lists.
- Create Aptify,Navisions, and Prophix Wizards, applications, Event Handlers & Process Pipelines. Troubleshoot Aptify data integrity problems. Create / modify Aptify entities/stored procedures/views/functions. Fix Aptify Data display issues. Work with Aptify, Navisions, and Prophix on core issues.
- Develops and maintains standard APTIFY views for all official AACC reporting needs, i.e., membership stats, committee reports, and membership labels, for all reporting within APTIFY.
- Executes application test scripts such as unit and functional tests to ensure the database applications are functioning correctly.
- Create / modify reports in APTIFY, Navisions, Prophix, Qlikview to support user requests.
- Creates targeted promotion lists based upon customer profiles requested by the staff including Annual Meeting List request and Mail List sales using data collected through surveys.
- Provides staff support for standard list queries with established distribution frequency.
- Collaborates on the designs, development, and maintenance of adhoc databases for in-house applications where the main databases cannot be modified to incorporate new business processes or reporting.
- Discusses database changes with co-workers to determine impact on the user processes and reporting requirements.
- Work with the Internet Manager to make sure that Email Segments are created and made available for HighRoads Email Broadcasting System. Check HighRoads data replication is working and counts are reconciled.
- Works with staff to establish and review existing and new database and reporting requirements.
- Creates reporting dictionaries from the SQL databases.
- As required, travels to and attends annual meeting.
- Strong analytical and good organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in requirements gathering and development
- Experience with systems analysis and functional design
- Strong experience with documentation and problem resolution
- Ability to work with the users through meetings and interviews to elicit and document system requirements in a Business Requirements Document
- Knowledge of project planning and estimation
- Meeting facilitation skills
- Knowledge of user interface principles and Windows design standards
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle
- Ability to present ideas and information in group settings
- Ability to conduct end user training
- Ability to create a positive and professional business relationship with users
- Ability to quickly acquire and effectively demonstrate new knowledge
- Spreadsheets, Accounting software, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Internet software, E-mail, Order processing, Inventory, Database software, Contact Management.
- Must have minimum two years of hands-on experience with the following software: MS SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2005/2008, Visual Basic 2005/2008, Crystal Reports, BI tools, Microsoft Office Suite, ASP/VB.NET Experience with Aptify a plus.
Bachelor's degree (B. S.) in computer science or equivalent from four-year college or university and one to two years data base experience; or two to three years related database administration and development experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Only qualified candidates submit resume and cover letter, stating desired salary.
Indeed - 22 months ago