American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

AAM Summary
Prototype Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2016
I loved working at AAM. The ability to problem solve and use creative ways to resolve issues was very rewarding. Being able to build and produce prototype axles was very fulfilling. The work environment was a little rough since the facility was under construction. There was no air conditioning and no ice machine available in the work area. The work team was dynamic and supportive.
Pros
Great work team
Cons
Facility under construction.
A machine shop with great community
Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJuly 12, 2016
While working at American Axle, I was a summer hire who was hired through a program designed for college students who were home for the summer. At the beginning of the summer, a lot of time was spent cleaning around the shop. As people started taking vacation days, I was trained on operating the machines. I enjoyed this very much. The fellow operators were all helpful and understanding. I learned how to endure long days on my feet, and the meaning of quality work.
Automotive manufacturing at the highest level
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJune 20, 2016
Was in the Executive in Training program. Started on the floor in the plants, then to business operations and finally to sales (Manager - B2B). I learned more at AAM than any other company I have ever worked for and no day was the same as yesterday so you had to think fast, move fast and execute with precision.
Pros
Great management team, extremely challenging, very fast paced
Cons
Michigan is cold and all of my family was located in Myrtle Beach
wonderful company
End of Line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIMay 9, 2016
My typical day at American Axle was spent learning something new everyday. I made sure I completely understood my job before anything else. I worked very well with others and attitudes. I became a trainer for my department. I was very dedicated to my work and work place. The hardest part to my job was lifting the truck axles off the hooks and packing them. However, the job always got done. I really enjoyed going into work and seeing co-workers learning and doing the job so that we could make rate everyday. wonderful company.
Pros
pay and opportunity
Cons
short lunch
Materials department 1st shift
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 17, 2016
The first shift materials department exist outside the majority of the politics that plague a manufacturing facility. There are rarely layoffs in this department as there is always materials to ship. The biggest downside to working at AAM is the us versus them mentality that exists.
Wouldnt recommend
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIApril 13, 2016
Typical workday isn't typical, lots of OT. This is a 6-7 day a week job with 10 hour days not being unusual. Management only cares about numbers and not about quality. IMO most aren't qualified to be managers. There are a lot of good workers there, but a lot of ppl got in that shouldn't be. When wages were low they would hire anyone. Now that they raised wages, they expect more with less people.
Pros
always busy, good health insurance
Cons
always busy, 7 day a week job
Very diverse place to work with a welcoming culture.
Investor Relations/Marketing Co-op (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work goes by fast because it's always a busy and fun! I learned a lot from this experience because I helped many different departments such as, Finance, Investor Relations and Marketing. I had the opportunity to work with many different people, and learn a lot. The management was very understanding and helpful, I made some great memories and friends with the co-workers who were really friendly and interesting. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines, and the most enjoyable part was creating the culture within the company and being a part of their growth.
Terrible place to work
Materials handler (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 13, 2016
Breaks were plentiful but overall this was a terrible place to work. They'll fire you if you get sick and they don't understand that your personal life is important.
Pros
Plentiful breaks
Cons
Terrible management and they don't understand that people get sick from time to time
Good pay
Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2016
Nice place to work. Typical big business politics.
Axles are the big business. Driveshafts may be an afterthought.
AAM Moved most of the manufacturing to Mexico to lower labor cost. This could be problematic as labor costs rise in Mexico with the added cost of transportation.
It was a great paying job
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MISeptember 20, 2016
I work hear as a tempt and the work was kind of hard labor but I didn't mine because I love the pay also the great benefits that came alone with the job. everyone was friendly and I never had trouble with any one at the job.
the plant closed and moved to Mexico
Production Inspector (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 18, 2016
Plant closed and moved to Mexico, not much job security there although they say buy American to keep our jobs here in the USA where is the union now when you need it
Pros
bonuses
Cons
plant closed and moved to Mexico
Productive work place
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 2, 2016
I learned so much about car parts that i did not know before. For example that it is not all one piece for the axles. Management could have been a little more well put together.
Pros
Nice cafateria
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work if...
Associate Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIMay 20, 2016
Its a fun place to work if, you can ignore the games that are played by low level managers at corporate. The people are fun and helpful for the most part but, moving up and/or around can be difficult.
Busy
Shipping & Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 7, 2016
Scheduling trucks
Making phone calls to the customers, to make sure of on time delivery
Data entry using Oracle Applications
faxing, emailing, answering calls, filing,
customer service
and dispatching
Pros
We worked as a team
Cons
I would still be working there if it hadn't closed down.
Tech 1 / Axle Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Great co-workers, had a great laid back supervisor who knew how to balance work and freedom as an adult. Loved working with automobile parts and machinery. Felt like a part of the team. Very friendly people.
Pros
Great hours, understanding supervisor, great work environment.
Cons
It was only temporary, sadly.
Enjoyed working with suppiers
Sr. Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 11, 2016
I really enjoyed managing suppliers and working with them to improve their product(s). Travel was often involved, and at one time I spent several years at a supplier in Puebla, Mexico.
It was ok just a long drive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MI 49093June 24, 2016
I didn't mind working here. I enjoyed the people but it was a long drive for me and gas prices were very high at the time I was working here.
Great workplace
Maintenance/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 7, 2016
AAM was a great workplace. I enjoyed working there. I got to work with great people. I learned a lot fixing and maintaining assembly machines.
A successful company
Senior SQL Server DBA (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 2, 2016
A global auto parts designing and manufacturing company.
A fast-pace company.
A company that cares about local community.
Excellent working atmosphere
College Coop (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 2, 2016
It was pleased to work at AAM. This is a company with great working environment and nice employer. I gathered professional experience related to my major and learned a lot from my supervisor.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Reviews by Job Title