American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

Typical corporate America nonsense
Tool Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 19, 2017
I was hired into the Fort Wayne AAM/Accugear plant as a "tool room tech", which I'm qualified for. Sadly, as is so often the case, management, to include the plant mamager, did not have a clue about CNC machining, and the resources myself and another employee needed to do our jons. Worse, the 4 people in the tool room were doing the work of 12+ people.

AAM had shut down a plant outside Detroit, and brought the tool room work they were doing for the Fort Wayne plant to our place. A totally half-baked plan, made worse due to bad/crashed machines, and a lack of QC resources.

Management there loves to threaten and harass people, definitely a situation where they do as much as they think they can get away with. They get away with it because of the nasty corporate atmosphere, and it's a non-union facility. I understand AAM in Detroit and Buffalo was good to work for some years ago. Not now. Turnover is terribly high, too.
Pros
Cheap medical.
Cons
Just about everything. Surveillance cameras by the break room. Just a lot of hasslw for a factory.
Factory work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Was a line worker we built rear ends to trucks, vans, cars. I enjoyed working on the line with other people. I liked that we had a chance to rotate different stations because I learned them all.
Nice
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 5, 2017
This job is very fast paced. It is a great teacher in the fact that it teaches you to become a leader as well as show you that you have to follow instructions.
Great placse to work! Its like family
Quality Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2017
I work at AAM for 10 years, it was a great job with awesome benefits and it allowed me to take care of my children and give our family a better quality of life.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
I got hurt in an accident
Great learning experience
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 1, 2016
American axle taught me how to be a team player. It also instilled drive and motivation to complete projects in a timely manner. We were one of the top companies in car axle manufacturing.
Have never worked in a place that was disorganized, and unreliable in my life.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MINovember 10, 2016
I thought that working for a reputable company as such would be a better experience. I was moved more than 7 times in a six month time span, form 2 shift to 3 shift (vice versa) several times. Was not given proper job instructions. Had maybe 30 seconds of direction before thrown into a new job. The only good experience that came out of this company is the relationships i built with co-workers....because of the many discussions we had about how bad the company was treating its workers. Would NEVER work for this company again
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
pretty much everything else but the co-workers
A great place to work!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MINovember 4, 2016
I cannot think of a better place to work. There are some improvements that could be made, but the shifts are reasonable. The work is not too difficult, and management is supportive of employees. A good, stable job with excellent benefits is a rare find these days.
stuck in 1990s automotive mindset and culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 24, 2016
so stuck in the past it's not even funny. they claim they are trying to revamp and change that but the commitment from the top is not evident.
Productive work place
Production Leader (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIOctober 12, 2016
I would run different CNC machines making parts for GM rear axles, and I would work on the assembly line buildling rear axles or in tear down finding out what or why the rear end failed inspection.
Pros
Building and tearing down product
Cons
Very young labor force
Great place to work and great benefits
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MISeptember 23, 2016
Axle has been a great place to work but operating a machine is not what I am interested in doing. Looking for something that will be more of a challenge
Pros
Insurance benefits, vacation, union
Cons
Doesn't work with me and my school schedule
It was a great paying job
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MISeptember 20, 2016
I work hear as a tempt and the work was kind of hard labor but I didn't mine because I love the pay also the great benefits that came alone with the job. everyone was friendly and I never had trouble with any one at the job.
the plant closed and moved to Mexico
Production Inspector (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 18, 2016
Plant closed and moved to Mexico, not much job security there although they say buy American to keep our jobs here in the USA where is the union now when you need it
Pros
bonuses
Cons
plant closed and moved to Mexico
AAM Summary
Prototype Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2016
I loved working at AAM. The ability to problem solve and use creative ways to resolve issues was very rewarding. Being able to build and produce prototype axles was very fulfilling. The work environment was a little rough since the facility was under construction. There was no air conditioning and no ice machine available in the work area. The work team was dynamic and supportive.
Pros
Great work team
Cons
Facility under construction.
A barbed fence to keep workers in.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJuly 29, 2016
Being employed at this location has been a difficult struggle for the past two years. With a Union there that doesn't protect the good workers, and management that does not handle the poor workers, you find yourself working harder for no extra benefit.

A typical day for an employee who comes to work to work, and go home, you find out quickly that most management is ill informed on their departments, whether it's maintenance required on machinery, or mandatory/voluntary overtime until the last minute. Although most other Union Shop workers wish to work and go home, you will find stragglers who wish to make friends with management to avoid working.

Although the Physical Labor of this job isn't difficult, you will find the hardest part of the job being the mental stress it can give you. Mental stress can come from many things from working here. Examples of things that can cause mental stress include but are not limited to : Machines breaking down, being bumped from your shift or department, changing shift time, duration, and schedule, working mandatory seven days a week for months at a time, etc. etc.

Although you can find it a struggle to work here, it is a job nonetheless, and when you receive the paycheck from working, you will come back the following week knowing that you will still have a job. That would be the best part about working at American Axle.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Poor Management
A machine shop with great community
Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJuly 12, 2016
While working at American Axle, I was a summer hire who was hired through a program designed for college students who were home for the summer. At the beginning of the summer, a lot of time was spent cleaning around the shop. As people started taking vacation days, I was trained on operating the machines. I enjoyed this very much. The fellow operators were all helpful and understanding. I learned how to endure long days on my feet, and the meaning of quality work.
It was ok just a long drive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MI 49093June 24, 2016
I didn't mind working here. I enjoyed the people but it was a long drive for me and gas prices were very high at the time I was working here.
Automotive manufacturing at the highest level
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJune 20, 2016
Was in the Executive in Training program. Started on the floor in the plants, then to business operations and finally to sales (Manager - B2B). I learned more at AAM than any other company I have ever worked for and no day was the same as yesterday so you had to think fast, move fast and execute with precision.
Pros
Great management team, extremely challenging, very fast paced
Cons
Michigan is cold and all of my family was located in Myrtle Beach
Materials department 1st shift
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 17, 2016
The first shift materials department exist outside the majority of the politics that plague a manufacturing facility. There are rarely layoffs in this department as there is always materials to ship. The biggest downside to working at AAM is the us versus them mentality that exists.
Terrible place to work
Materials handler (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 13, 2016
Breaks were plentiful but overall this was a terrible place to work. They'll fire you if you get sick and they don't understand that your personal life is important.
Pros
Plentiful breaks
Cons
Terrible management and they don't understand that people get sick from time to time
Good pay
Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2016
Nice place to work. Typical big business politics.
Axles are the big business. Driveshafts may be an afterthought.
AAM Moved most of the manufacturing to Mexico to lower labor cost. This could be problematic as labor costs rise in Mexico with the added cost of transportation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Reviews by Job Title