American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

Tough work environment
Senior Analytical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2017
Good company - good benefits
Very challenging work projects. No team work. Need to work on your own. Otherwise very nice company to work for. Not sure for job.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Job unstable
American Axle Review
Contract Position - Product Designer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2017
I was employed at American Axle & Manufacturing (AAM) as a contractor. During my contract period AAM merged with another company and needed to re-evaluate their budget and laid me off.
I enjoyed my time there and wished it would have lasted longer.
My preference is to be employed for a long term.
Pros
Parking
Large Automotive Manufacturer
IT Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYMay 1, 2017
Large automotive company. Staff was hired primarily from temporary agencies. Pay was decent if you actually were hired on. Benefits were available. Difficult to advance.
I leaned my trade there, they were very helpfull
Tool and Die Maker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 29, 2017
I started roufing out the casting and moved up to making die from prints and part prints. Somtimes we would recieve a finished part and have to make a die to mass produce the part.
Pros
Good work enviroment, paid vacation
Cons
I could make more money at the axle plant
Enjoyed the job, not enough help
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIApril 28, 2017
I would still be at American Axle if I did not have some health issues that stood in the way of my employment. My supervisor tried to help but there was only so much he could do.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIApril 27, 2017
This atmosphere in Axle is amazing. They keep it clean with minimum dirt floating around inside. They care about their employees and how they are feeling on a day to day basis. The management really listens to what employees have to say and do everything they can to keep them happy.
Work here was ok nothing but high school drama everywhere you turn
Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIApril 17, 2017
Too much of coworkers hitting on flirting with and sleeping with each other not enough training given to the supervisor who are suppose to know w
How the line works but they dont and are still put in charge of it to much of all the supervisors picking favorites this place is ridiculous to work at so much drama and bull i hated it
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Its like highschool mixed with stupidity all over again
Great
Assmbler (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 28, 2017
Great experience and slot of knowledge gain from working here. I love the family environment that my job provided at the time working with his company.
The greatest place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 22, 2017
The greatest job ever the people we're the best the job was fun the pay was great the the best Union the UAW personnel was the best just sorry we closed the plant but we did get a buyout benefit
Pros
Great location
Cons
Plant closed
Management and employees are unfriendly
Machine Operato (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIMarch 21, 2017
This company is not American Axle. It is a company of American Axle. They do not have a union, you work 6-7 days a week. The people who train you have no experience. They make a lot of promises but don't follow through. They have a very high turn over rate
Cons
Work every weekend. Work 5 before first 30 min break. We only had 1 break on 3rd
Good secure job until they closed ..
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHMarch 14, 2017
Would have been a good place to retire,but it got slow and they closed the doors...Management wasn't to good either...Had very good job security until the end.
Aam
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIMarch 9, 2017
Huge facility with a lot of talent from the hourly workforce to the managers. Many ideas are there and great things to come. I made many friends and many more business friends.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Overall good place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIMarch 3, 2017
Its a good place to work with great benefits, the work load is fair nothing is extremely demanding. the only reason i marked management lower is there is very little communication and they allow people to circumvent safety to increase production, but to be fair it is on the work force to do so they do not force anyone to do anything unsafe.
Pros
good people, laid back enviroment
Cons
poor communication, machines could operate better
Company Great but No Job Security
Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 9, 2017
AAM is a great company that hires you based on your character regardless of age, race, height, weight or religion. People all get along and help each other. Management is very approachable. However, there is no such thing as job security in the auto industry. Associates with several years of experience were laid-off. The company due to a restructuring, workforce reduction, they eliminated some positions and unfortunately had to lay-off. I would still recommend working there.
Pros
Associate Apprecitation Days
Cons
No Job Security
Typical corporate America nonsense
Tool Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 19, 2017
I was hired into the Fort Wayne AAM/Accugear plant as a "tool room tech", which I'm qualified for. Sadly, as is so often the case, management, to include the plant mamager, did not have a clue about CNC machining, and the resources myself and another employee needed to do our jons. Worse, the 4 people in the tool room were doing the work of 12+ people.

AAM had shut down a plant outside Detroit, and brought the tool room work they were doing for the Fort Wayne plant to our place. A totally half-baked plan, made worse due to bad/crashed machines, and a lack of QC resources.

Management there loves to threaten and harass people, definitely a situation where they do as much as they think they can get away with. They get away with it because of the nasty corporate atmosphere, and it's a non-union facility. I understand AAM in Detroit and Buffalo was good to work for some years ago. Not now. Turnover is terribly high, too.
Pros
Cheap medical.
Cons
Just about everything. Surveillance cameras by the break room. Just a lot of hasslw for a factory.
Factory work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Was a line worker we built rear ends to trucks, vans, cars. I enjoyed working on the line with other people. I liked that we had a chance to rotate different stations because I learned them all.
Excellent company
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIJanuary 9, 2017
American Axel was an excellent company to work for! Great compensation and benefits,as well as excellent people to work with and work for. They closed their doors and sent our jobs to Mexico
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits
Cons
Shipped our jobs to Mexico
Nice
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 5, 2017
This job is very fast paced. It is a great teacher in the fact that it teaches you to become a leader as well as show you that you have to follow instructions.
Great placse to work! Its like family
Quality Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2017
I work at AAM for 10 years, it was a great job with awesome benefits and it allowed me to take care of my children and give our family a better quality of life.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
I got hurt in an accident
Great learning experience
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 1, 2016
American axle taught me how to be a team player. It also instilled drive and motivation to complete projects in a timely manner. We were one of the top companies in car axle manufacturing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Reviews by Location