American Bank Employee Reviews

Customer Oriented
Personal Banker/Teller (Current Employee), Port AransasJuly 5, 2015
I arrive everyday 15 minutes early so that I can help do any work that needs to be done before the lobby opens. My favorite days are the days that are very busy. I enjoy making our customers happy by helping them out.
I enjoyed working here at first, but then the work environment changed to a negative feel.
Commercial Bank Teller (Former Employee), Waco, TXMarch 4, 2015
I enjoyed most of my co-workers, but professionalism was lacking in the management. I loved the customers and handling their transactions. The most enjoyable part was handling money and then balancing to the penny.
pleasant work place
Loan Documentation Auditor/Collector (Former Employee), pryor, okJanuary 22, 2015
This bank is no longer in business. It was bought by another bank.
Not a good place to work
Banker (Former Employee), worthington ohioJanuary 14, 2015
They prey on the recent college graduate. Not a good company to work for.
Enjoyable and rewarding career
Loan Officer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 6, 2014
Typical day involves multiple discussions with prospective borrowers which involve figuring out the most beneficial mortgage for their specific financial situation. It is a very rewarding yet rigorous position.
Fun workplace
Account Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2014
American Bank has a great culture that is filled with young individuals.
Productive and fun work place
Mortgage Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee), Parkville, MDJuly 29, 2014
I really enjoyed working with my co-workers and manger at this company. I learned how to collect monies, prepare title work, prepare UCC's.
Very fast and stressful (at times) work enviroment
Personal Banker/Teller (Current Employee), Port Aransas, TXOctober 12, 2013
Pros: education pay back, partially paid benefits, computer program
Cons: no breaks, no incentives, no bonuses.
A typical day at American Bank is very fast pace a busy. As a teller you never really get a chance to sit down. However, as a personal banker you never get a chance to get away from your desk. I have learned great costumer service skills as well as time management. You have to treat your customers according to their specific needs. While doing that there could be 5 other people waiting to talk with – more... you so you have to make sure that you can talk to everyone and get there needs satisfied while making sure your side work get done. All my co-workers always do their part in their day to day work load making us a team. Which in fact lets us get all our work done in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with unhappy customers. Finding a way to make them happy can always be a challenge especially if they are unhappy because of a policy that is set in place. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I know that i have helped somebody out and made something in life whether it be banking related or not easier for them. – less
Competitive sales driven environment.
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee), USAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: the smart energetic colleagues and team work. constant learning and meeting new people.
Cons: the disorder, and the learning curve. entirely commission based, and not being able to help people who need your help.
New business, new business, new business. Sales, sales, sales.
You will field incoming leads from borrowers from across the spectrum of credit profiles. You will do this on a national level all day long.

I learned about residential lending. I gained knowledge of communications, marketing, title insurance, pricing, credit qualifications, loan programs, borrower profiles, marketing, secondary markets, – more... and debt consolidation.

Management is a passionate bunch of people who are extremely results driven. It's a young company.

The co-workers are energetic people who are exceptionally smart and talented. Socialization outside of work is not uncommon.

The hardest part of this job is the uncertainty. Loans are not guaranteed. You are acutely subject to the greater financial markets of which you have no control.

The uniqueness of clients financial profiles necessitates a constantly creative, team based, and detail orientated approach. No loan is the same. I learned constantly. Putting someone in a better financial position is a life changer for them and rewarding emotionally. – less
Great place to work for, very relaxed atmosphere
Sr. Underwriter, Office Mgr, Corp Sec (Former Employee), Greenbelt, MDAugust 6, 2013
Pros: everything
Excellent Owner/President; kind and caring. Hardest part was I was the only underwriter so I was on 24 hour call from Owner and Loan Officer's, including on vacation. Still great place to work. I assisted in closing, shipping, training or new closer's and loan processor's, required to clear any investor stips. With all of the above loved working for Benefit Funding. Owner closed due to serious illness of youngest daughter.
Enjoyable workplace
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 11, 2013
We would open the location and answer phones and wait on customers. I enjoyed laughing with my co-workers and helping the customers with their needs. Management was helpful with anything that you didn't understand.
Senior Loan Officer (Former Employee), Cranford, NJOctober 15, 2012
Company close office. my experience was short, no opportunity to develop my self in the company
Excellent place to work.
Director (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2012
Pros: company great for self motivated individuals.
Cons: not a texas company
Management is very driven for new opportunities and markets. I felt like I was part of a company not just worked for a company.
So so program pricing availability
Residential Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee), Parkville, MDApril 5, 2012
Pros: relaxed office atmosphere
Cons: poor payscale
Laid back atmosphere. Was super busy when I started but has really pulled back, which makes it real tough to survive with such a cheesy commission rate.