American Bar Association Employee Reviews in United States

Dysfunctional Culture/ No Growth Opportunities
SR. FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2015
This has to be one of the most unorganized places I’ve ever worked. The members run the organization and are running it straight into the ground. There is no investment in the employee’s and the employees that have been within the organization for decades are stuck in their ways. No one is open to change and growth, which will eventually be a detriment to the organization if they don’t wake up!
Pros
Summer Hours
Cons
unfair treatment/lack of communication across organization
Very Nice Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
Being in the ABA you are able to advance. There are many departments with this company so advancing is no problem. The environment is nice. The people are really pleasant and you will enjoy working there.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Raises
American Bar Association
Mediator (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 13, 2015
Excellent organization providers of extensive information as well as resources beneficial to lawyers or members of the legal profession.
Benefits
Cons
Membership dues.
Exemplary employer
SPECIAL CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2015
Gives employees autonomy and strong leadership. Intelligent, motivated people not driven by only the bottom line. Great loyalty to long-time employees and room for advancement.
Amazing Place to Work
Senior Recruitment Specialist (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
The ABA and its Rule of Law Initiative is the ideal place to start a career in international legal development. Great environment more diversity than what I have seen in the past 10 years.
Pros
Bagel Wednesday and Other Time Off
Great Place to Start Career
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago,ILApril 22, 2015
Great work / life balance. You get excellent healthcare benefits, holidays, and vacation. Most employees have long tenures. The only con is that there is limited room for growth.
Good Student job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2015
Helped customers with finding appropriate styles. Learned great customer service skills. Management was very friendly and worked with me
Great Associatioin - great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2015
Unfortunately, the work load is very low and I find myself without anything to do more than I would like. The Section is very small - just two people (me and my boss). The workload is low - it gets a bit busier when we are getting ready for the 3 annual meetings.
productive and fun activities
Legal Research Intern (Former Employee) –  ChinaOctober 4, 2014
Co-workers are nice, friendly and helpful. Practiced basic research skills.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
compensation
we had so many trainings
Field Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Louis Arthur School of Law, University of LiberiaMay 22, 2014
my Daily work was very challenging, when I have to track the Organization's spending per budget line. making sure that we don't over or under spend.
I learned to be a Team player
Management allow me attend a lot of training to enhance my job as a Finance & Administration Manager.
I enjoyed working with my co workers
the hardest part of my Job was when I had to follow up my Colleague to clear their advances.
the most enjoyable part was during staff training when every one had to part take.
Productive and sometimes a little stressful.
Section Administrator / Meeting Planner (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 13, 2014
I enjoy the work that I do. I provide administrative duties for the Section. I am responsible for accounts payable and receivable, contracts, purchasing and meeting planning. I enjoy working with the employees in the department. They are laid back and easy to get along with. The hardest part of my job is getting my employees to follow the policy and procedures of the ABA. My position is required to provide organizational skills, multitask and produce quality work in a timely fashion.
Sr. Accountant
Senior Financial Analyst (Grants Accountant) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2014
Great mission. And I love the travel I had to do for the job. The only thing was the work life balance was not that great.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant/Meeting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2014
: I provided assistance for two Forum Meeting Managers, Assistant Director, and Director in the planning and administration of various CLE programs. I provide administrative support for all aspects of the Forums Department.
Great environment for Networking
TECHNOLOGY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Great environment for meeting influential legal and political figures.
Infrastructure of overall organization leaves a lot to be desired from a technology perspective.
unpaid intern
International Legal Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
I learned a lot about the ABA.
A lot of opportunities that arise at this place so be sure to grab them!
Well established Organization that promotes learning.
UNIX Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2013
A well established Non for profit organization that offers opportunities to learn and grow.
American Bar Association
Marketing and Career Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2013
The American Bar Association is a non-profit organization.
Pros
401k with matched contributions
Cons
aggressive culture as you are working with attorneys who by nature have aggressive personalities
Great work / life balance
Administrative Assistant/Assistant Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work would involve calls/emails from lawyers, law students, committee members, vendors and speakers regarding details of a meeting, discounts, registration etc. Did I receive their registration or why he/she didn't receive confirmation. Members and speakers would inquire about their reimbursement check. Updating and generating reports and constantly being interrupted.
What did I learn? How to be patient and keep my manager informed.
Management: my manager did not micromanage and she trusted me to get the job done.
My coworkers and I worked as a team on name badges, tickets to events and shipping materials to meeting sites. We understood the time constraints.
The harderst part of the job: Since overtime was eliminated for budget reasons, trying to get everything done in an 8 hour day.
Enjoyable: My manager was a great person to work for and I learned a lt from her . Since she had risen from entry-level, she also knew most of the problems that employees faced. She motivated me to come up with new ideas and always provided helpful feedback.
Pros
work life balance, half day off each during summer months
Cons
heavy workload prevented me from taking inhouse classes
Love my team
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2012
The Judicial Division is awesome. My position is grant funded and is nearing its end. I love the work life balance, the fact that I am not micro managed and can implement new projects with the support of my colleagues.
Provided media relations guidance to ABA entities
Director, Strategic Communication and Planning (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2012
As part of the Media Relations Division, I provided in house PR and Communication Counsel to various substantive groups to help them shape their messages and reach key audiences. The subject matter was always changing, the people changing, and there were many challenges and opportunities to communicate on issues of importance, not only to lawyers, but to the public at large.
Pros
great camaraderie
Cons
bureaucracy and politics of a large association