American Bureau of Shipping Employee Reviews

Great experience
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
For four decades, ABS Group has delivered technical service and expertise across the globe, and our leadership team has helped set the standard for safety and reliability for a wide range of industries.
Productive, Accurate, Hard working
Technical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxMay 15, 2017
I am a team player and willing to learn always on time and understand propriety before pleasure. Share responsibilities and help out when needed. Customer friendly.
Pros
Ship Engineering, Package and Delivery
Cons
Healthcare, fast food
An enjoyable yet stressful job
Surveyor II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2017
The job of marine surveyor can be difficult, yet quite fulfilling. The management of the company seemed to be out of touch with the financial realities of the sector I was assigned to (medium to small vessels and the oil and gas industry) which made it somewhat difficult at times.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Excessive paperwork
Changes to become another USA company
Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2017
ABS was historically conservative, safety-oriented, friendly. It is been going through a change from offering stability and better benefits towards another USA company that goes with the flow of industry and economy.
Pros
Dont know anymore
Cons
uncertain about future
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Performing research within the company is exciting. Management leaves you alone as long as you do the work, good and on time.
Supportive work environment for interns
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2017
I was an intern with ABS and found my supervisors and coworkers to be very friendly and supportive. Communication was encouraged and reciprocated. Great place to work.
Little advantages
Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2016
The only benefits of my experience there was 1- I had to learn some new things, not that they had a training program, or anyone of my group seniors were open to share their knowledge, I just had to learn the hard way. 2- Salary 3- Meet a few nice people.
I have to say experiences may be different depending on the group and manager. but I think upper management's only concern is numbers: High utility, High on time completion, High performance and in that way if there is a manager that produces those numbers with zero management morals and ethics, they don't care. They never evaluate the managers, they never ask the opinions of engineer working under managers to see how they are doing, they really don't care, they only care about stealing more from DNV or BV that cannot afford to care about how healthy their environment is. My experience was absolutely bad, but I have to say this is not always the case, some managers are really professional and working with them in ABS would be great as was the case for me before changing my position in ABS.
Pros
good work-life balance, some nice coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Great Work Oil & Gas downturn caused our lay off
VIM Technician (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MESeptember 30, 2016
Great company with great work. I would have stayed for many more years if I had the choice. The downturn in Oil & Gas work worldwide caused our lay off.
Pros
Excellent Work
Cons
Not enough work.
Review
Account Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Typical day was fast pace and efficient. Manager was a team player and assisted as much as possible. The hardest part of my job was the fact we were short staffed.
Respectful Workplace
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2016
In ABS all employees are treated fairly, difference is acknowledged and valued, the communication is open between the managers. ABS also values the good employees and give them the opportunity to grow with the company.
Very disorganized company!!
Account Manager/Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2016
Disorganized company, un-qualified Managers, Presidents, VP's and CEO! No room for advancement! Good Ole' Boy System!
Pros
9/80 Progam, Depending on what divison you work in - Some divisions get bonuses
Here we go...
Rotational Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
Overall, ethically good work. Hardest part is zero transparency in EVERYTHING, communication is useless and counterproductive.
Class Rules interesting
PRINCIPAL SURVEYOR/ACTING COUNTRY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJune 30, 2016
The concept of Class and Statutory rules to Ships and Oil & Gas sector.. Challenging on-site inspections of drill ships and FPSOs with the complexity of equipments under operation.
Pros
Ships Rules interesting
Cons
No job security
Great Company with excellent benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2016
I enjoyed my 25 year tenure with ABS. I was secure in my position with this company, never would I have expected a lay off April 4, 2016, but even in the midst of the misfortune, they took care of me. I am eligible for rehire and would consider returning if a position became available.
ABS is Not the Company it Use to Be
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2016
This company has changed drastically under the new management. I am not sure I would recommend. They do not value older workers or their experience.
Safety Conscience Organization
Sr. Learning Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Ensures all employees understand safety and how it can benefit them by learning about it. Emphasis was put on management to hold monthly meetings on different types of safety.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 1, 2016
A great place to work especially if your in the oil and gas industry. Peers were always available and willing to help out in the event that it was needed. The best part of the job was being able to learn new things that I've never experienced before. The management team was very informative about what was going on with the company, whether you were a permanent employee or a contractor you were always treated equally. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with your peers of different cultural backgrounds, during holidays and other office team building events.
A good working environment
Intern, Offshore (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2016
1. The workload is not heavy and employees really enjoy working there.

2. The work related with safety checking is really meaningful.

3. All colleague and supervisors there are really friendly and willing to share life experience and ideas with interns and new employees.

4. Engineering job needs patience and careful attention.
It was ok for a time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2015
I worked there for 10 years, "temp". Working there was fine, accept that I was never able to officially become a permanent employee. Since arriving there in October 2005, it was never "in the budget" for me to get hired on, and when I was let go in October of 2015, I walked out as if I was a seasonal intern. Actually, I left on a Monday after being notified that I Should Have been let go the previous Friday. And that's my review.
Pros
i worked, they paid me for it.
Cons
see Review
Good work environment
Data Entry/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 16, 2015
The culture is great
Nice people to be around
The pay compensation is good
The environment is good