American Bureau of Shipping Employee Reviews in United States

Respectful Workplace
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2016
In ABS all employees are treated fairly, difference is acknowledged and valued, the communication is open between the managers. ABS also values the good employees and give them the opportunity to grow with the company.
Very disorganized company!!
Account Manager/Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2016
Disorganized company, un-qualified Managers, Presidents, VP's and CEO! No room for advancement! Good Ole' Boy System!
Pros
9/80 Progam, Depending on what divison you work in - Some divisions get bonuses
Here we go...
Rotational Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2016
Overall, ethically good work. Hardest part is zero transparency in EVERYTHING, communication is useless and counterproductive.
Class Rules interesting
PRINCIPAL SURVEYOR/ACTING COUNTRY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJune 30, 2016
The concept of Class and Statutory rules to Ships and Oil & Gas sector.. Challenging on-site inspections of drill ships and FPSOs with the complexity of equipments under operation.
Pros
Ships Rules interesting
Cons
No job security
ABS is Not the Company it Use to Be
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2016
This company has changed drastically under the new management. I am not sure I would recommend. They do not value older workers or their experience.
Safety Conscience Organization
Sr. Learning Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Ensures all employees understand safety and how it can benefit them by learning about it. Emphasis was put on management to hold monthly meetings on different types of safety.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 1, 2016
A great place to work especially if your in the oil and gas industry. Peers were always available and willing to help out in the event that it was needed. The best part of the job was being able to learn new things that I've never experienced before. The management team was very informative about what was going on with the company, whether you were a permanent employee or a contractor you were always treated equally. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with your peers of different cultural backgrounds, during holidays and other office team building events.
A good working environment
Intern, Offshore (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2016
1. The workload is not heavy and employees really enjoy working there.

2. The work related with safety checking is really meaningful.

3. All colleague and supervisors there are really friendly and willing to share life experience and ideas with interns and new employees.

4. Engineering job needs patience and careful attention.
It was ok for a time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2015
I worked there for 10 years, "temp". Working there was fine, accept that I was never able to officially become a permanent employee. Since arriving there in October 2005, it was never "in the budget" for me to get hired on, and when I was let go in October of 2015, I walked out as if I was a seasonal intern. Actually, I left on a Monday after being notified that I Should Have been let go the previous Friday. And that's my review.
Pros
i worked, they paid me for it.
Cons
see Review
Good work environment
Data Entry/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 16, 2015
The culture is great
Nice people to be around
The pay compensation is good
The environment is good
Great about safety meetings
Productive and Fun Work Place
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FloridaSeptember 22, 2015
Fun work place with incredible supportive management. Personal and professional growth is greatly encouraged and supported. Always new and exciting opportunities to learn and grow. Possibilities for advancement are plentiful.
productive and fun place to work
Office Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2015
after 18yrs. of service ,need a change ! new management and duties.

Working at ABS has been a great place to work and I've learn a lot and gain more experience working with co-workers over the years.

My job title (Office Service Assistant-Printshop and Facilities Specialist II) which I perform several job tasks in both area's. Also
perform mailroom task as well.Operating Xerox digital printers alone
with several types of binding (GBC, VELO, TAPE,and SADDLESTICHTING). Also setup print jobs using the Fiery and Makeready scanning to perform jobs.
Good firm to start entry level work with.
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2015
I enjoyed my time spent at ABS. It was a friendly environment, offering many perks such as an open gym, free sodas and snacks, occasionally some free ABS gears. What I've learned is that you have to separate personal feelings aside from business. Truth be told, is that ABS values their permanent employees, more than their contractors, and it is unfortunate that even good contractors are the first to be let go when it comes to lay offs, even if they are better than the current permanent employees. My co-workers were all amazing people, and I couldn't ask for people to be around. The hardest part of my job was handling the stress level, while trying meeting all of the due dates, and set targets of the firm. The most enjoyable part of the job was quickly becoming and integral part of the firm, and handling important responsibilities for the firm. My only advise to upper management is to carefully review their contractors and full time employees. Some of the most important assets to ABS are the contractors.
Pros
Free open gym, free sodas and snacks, occasionally some free ABS gears.
Cons
No benefits as a contractor
Steady and Ready
Vendor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LouisianaJuly 24, 2015
I worked closely with seven other co-workers to keep the office itself profitable and personable to customers. From technical report writing to scheduling and billing there was always something that needed to be done. Having so many roles within the company made me a well-rounded employee.
Little room for advancement
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2015
Human Resources repeatedly made errors on my new employee set-up. The only assistance they are is in policing. Inconsistency with others in other departments taking ownership of processes or of providing internal customer service. Pay is low, even wit many years of experience.
Pros
Immediate manger
Cons
Overall company culture
Very good place to work
Senior Principal Naval Architect (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2015
Best positions were in the field with Survey utilizing engineering theory and practical applications. Team atmosphere in the field is the most desirable work environment.
Productive and Professional Environment
Bilingual Administrative Assistant Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2015
A group of professionals who care about employees. It is an excellent place to work, to grow and to learn.

I have been able to learn new things since the very beginning; definitely a plus for an office professional like me.

I would highly recommend this company to everyone I know.
Pros
Team work and support
Surveying
Surveyor Technical Assistant New Construction (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAMay 29, 2015
The work was interesting and diverse. The people were intelligent and hard working. The information learned about classing a vessel and the requirements for documenting it provide a constant challenge.
Great place to work if you're ok with little to no guidance.
Software Asset Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2015
Although I enjoy projects that are challenging, there was little to no guidance as to how said projects were to be initiated or completed so a self starter is key for any position within ABS. Had my department not had a budgetary cut resulting in multiple waves of layoffs, I'd still enjoy working there.
Pros
Challenging, compensation, zero micromanagement.
Cons
No paid holidays or PTO.
Sr. HR Business Partner
Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 23, 2015
Partner with leaders to solve complex business issues from Employee Relations, performance management, recruiting, compensation, variable compensation and workforce planning.

American Bureau of Shipping Reviews by Location