American Campus Communities Employee Reviews in United States

Job and management
Community Assistant/Leasing Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 30, 2016
On a daily basis I give tours, do marketing and customer service with residents and potential residents of the complex I work at. In addition I handle leasing.
I am very fond of the management at American Campus and the corporation as a whole.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to sign a lease with a new resident. I love seeing new residents light up with happiness after they sign a lease,
Pros
Work enviornment and career opportunites
Fun workplace with awesome coworkers. Learned a lot!
COMMUNITY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJanuary 2, 2016
Fun, busy, Fast workplace with other collegiate students. I enjoyed going to work everyday. Management was very helpful but did not micromanage to much. They allowed you to learn on your own and ask for help when you needed it. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative phone calls and parents, also negative events that took place on the property. I enjoyed going to work everyday and I also lived in the apartment complex as well so it made it very enjoyable, easy and the environment friendly.
Pros
Leniant, helpful management. Friendly environment, learned alot
Cons
Deal with a lot of negative events, parents, etc
Horrible place to work!!
Maintenance/Porter (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2016
I worked with this company on the Norfolk Navy base, I was sexually harassed, and when I reported it to my Management they told the person I reported them and what was said. I have documents of every incident that occurred while working with this company. Management are horrible liars, they cause more drama then the workers. If management don't like you, they will harass you on a daily bases to force you to quit.
Pros
some of the workers were enjoyable to work with
Cons
short lunch break, no breaks in between
A Company with Great Culture and Ambition
Corporate Bookkeeping and Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX (Remote)May 13, 2015
As my roles within ACC are dynamic no workday is ever the same and everyday is typically atypical but always rewarding and challenging. ACC nurtures and develops its "Stars" providing training and opportunities for advancement. The culture of ACC is where it shines the most with everyone being accountable for the curb appeal of it's many properties from the Regional Managers to the Community Assistants but with this accountability comes equal amounts of light hearted fun through social media contests, conferences, and office outings; even making the ever challenging "TURN" enjoyable.

ACC has nurtured my growth and I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a challenging but rewarding company to work for!
Pros
Great Culture and Management
Cons
The August TURN
Building From Within
Senior Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 1, 2016
ACC is a great company to work for if you're looking for a future in housing management, especially student housing. They like to hire from within the company and build around those who have been with the company and know the companies procedures already.
Very friendly job that allows me to interact with residents.
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prairie View, TXMay 2, 2016
A typical day being a community assistant involves answering phone calls, dealing with maintenance issues and requests, taking payments, receiving leases, conducting wellness checks, and anything else needed by my resident director. I have learned how to multi-task at the front desk. Our management is great and very friendly. The hardest part of the job is trying to manage my job and stay on top of my school work. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the residents and maintaining a fun community.
Pros
Interacting with residents, helping solve problems
Cons
Sometimes not having time to finish my school work.
The Lynd Co
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 8, 2016
Pretty good company overall.

My personal testimony is one sided because I worked with them in Fl, with the only student deals they offered.

I started my student housing career with them and I have taken much of that general knowledge with me.
Not a good work-life balance
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasSeptember 30, 2015
Not a good work-life balance- On-call for full-time staff members

Hard to find good full-time employees due to the lower pay for their positions.
Pros
Corporate will listen to your ideas, I feel like I have a voice with the company, I generally enjoy the corporate department and the environment they create.
Cons
Working the entire month of August 11+ hours, getting called a moment's notice for complaining tenants/parents in the middle of the night, being treated terribly by residents and parents due to issues out of your control, lower pay than competitor companies
Good company with some bad people.
Lead Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Nice to work here with good work life balance.
New manager are like Robots who lack good human being.
Good location.
Enough holidays.
Great facility
Lead Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJanuary 1, 2016
Easy access to work orders. great hours and friendly staff.
Great working environment, clean facilities.
Beautiful location.
Pros
Heath care, stable work, benifits
Cons
Lack of bugets for large $$items
Good Company
Sales Associate and Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 13, 2015
This is a great company to work for in college. They are great with working around your schedule and are very accommodating. The management staff is very friendly.
Interactive and Fast Paced
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 7, 2016
A tight-knit office of employees who work towards the common goal of selling leases. A competitive work environment, dedicated to the client.
Pros
Use of amenities, work around my class schedule
Cons
No promotion/raises for Community Assistants regardless of time with the company
Gain valuable experience in student realty
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2016
This job works very well with school schedule and I learned valuable information about real estate. Management is very unorganized and can be degrading at times.
Pros
flexibility with schedule
Cons
time sacrifice even off the clock when on call, management
Great Place for student advancement
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 30, 2016
Working for american campus gives you the flexibility you need as a college student while also assisting in building you up as a work ready professional.
Fairly flexible job
Community Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 18, 2015
Coworkers are friendly, including management. If you can't work a certain day that you are scheduled it's relatively easy to trade shifts with another coworker for a time that works for you.

Problem areas: scheduling, communication between coworkers and management
Pros
flexible hours, casual dress code
Cons
low pay, not enough hours to go around, rude residents and guests
Good company
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 4, 2016
Job is demanding around turn, but overall it is a pretty solid job. NO growth, even though it is stated in training videos.
Great workplace to learn and grow
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 26, 2015
While working with American Campus Communities, my potential was recognized and challenged. I was attending university full time, but the company still gave me the opportunity to expand my abilities and work towards management. While the position was demanding, American Campus Communities always made sure to reward hard work and keep the team involved in every step of market progress.
Overnight Information Desk Position
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 3, 2015
This position involved providing clients (students) with any information and/ or help needed. As a desk assistant (DA), you would work overnight and make sure students had 24 hour access to mail, maintenance, and other services. A DA had the responsibility of reporting any foul student behavior or notifying the on campus police in case of any emergency. It was a good opportunity to work here during school as it allowed time for school work, but the hours were strenuous.
Pros
Free time to do other work
Cons
Low pay, overnight shifts
what I learned
Porter (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 3, 2016
i learned how to maintain a large living quarters and as well a the protocol to follow with a team to manifest said maintenance
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
n/a
Excellent job for students who need a non-work study job
Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 10, 2015
The work environment is nice as far as co-workers are concerned, yet your job can be demanding as far the aspect of dealing with the student body and them not respecting their own living quarters or themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Campus Communities. Our community is ready to answer.