American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Very nice place to work
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 16, 2017
I worked with some very nice people and we all had our own offices since the building we worked in had once been a nurses dormitory so each room became someone's office.
Unfortunately those at the top have no idea
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2017
Employee benefits are the only reason to work here. Upper management/executives are ill prepared to make decisions for the company as they are rarely in the field and lack an understanding of the marketplace/cultures between cities, states and regions. Rarely do they promote within as they dont take the time or interest in getting to know the strengths and talents of their people. Leaders take credit for subordinate's work and share it as their own.
Constant change continues to plague this organization.
Relay for Life is a failure yet they continue to employ the greatest number of staff in this initiative. And currently only 16% of funds raised are going towards curing cancer.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Upper management out of touch
Important job to support an important mission
Community Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 12, 2017
Managing Relay for Life events all around the Western Slope was wonderful. Knowing that we were raising money for a very important reason was stimulating and fun.

There was quite a lot of travel to areas to meet volunteers, make arrangements for the events and execute the events. Raising money for The American Cancer Society was important and fulfilling.
Pros
Met wonderful people and helped with am important mission
Productive and fun working place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIJanuary 6, 2017
I liked working at American Cancer because I learned all about cancer patients and what they use while being on treatment. I have learned all about the Relay for life that they have every year.
I enjoyed my tenure at ACS
Administrative Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 6, 2017
My work schedule was very flexible that met my family needs. There was no pressure and unnecessary stress. I knew what was expected of me and met all my deadlines. My supervisor was the best. The team I worked with was awesome. The mission of ACS made it that much more fulfilling to do my work with pride.
Community networking
Senior Community Relay Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Network in the community
Management skills
Computer skills
Organized, verbal and written communication skills
Hiring and firing
Reports and analytics
Pros
Flexible
Fulfilling
Event Coordinator/Marketing Team (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 31, 2016
While a volunteer position as apart of the marketing team, and event management, being able get involved in the community and help increase morale and drive productivity without the staff was great. This was my opportunity to give back and support the community and help the fight against cancer by doing a non-profit activity. We successfully raised $800,000 in our location alone.
Productive and fun place to work
Director of Corporate Relations (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 31, 2016
Great place to work. Very meaningful work everyday. Casual dress on Fridays. Thorough training. I enjoyed my time working there.
Awful
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 29, 2016
Manager was a jerk. Internal higher ups continue to put pressure and you can't solve any of the problems. I was bullied and was glad to quit when I did.
Meaningful but challenging place to work
Senior Director, Community Events (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 26, 2016
The American Cancer Society is a worthwhile place to work. I believe in the mission and love playing a small role in the over all efforts to end cancer.
East Lansing MI Branch
MSABC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 24, 2016
I enjoyed working for the American Cancer Society! The environment was very fun and something was always going on. MSABC is a very fun project and very fast paced time line. Only down side is little movement upwards. You have the ability to become a coach and that is about as far as it goes unless you relocate. Oh, and you have to clock out for bathroom breaks.
Pros
Fun, co-workerd are gre
Cons
Turn-over rate, and little advancement, clock out for bathroom breaks.
Making a difference
Administrative Specialist/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 21, 2016
The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy, and service.

No matter who you are, ACS can help. Contact ACS anytime, day or night, for information and support at 1.800.ACS.2345.
Overall Good Enviornment
Community Engagement (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 19, 2016
Depending on the office you are in, work can be very cohesive. There is room for growth and advancement. Training is lacking so you need to be a go getter to get things accomplished. Mid Management is good but lack authority to make decisions which limits them greatly.
work
Coordinator, Division Office and Event Support (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LADecember 13, 2016
I enjoy working here but they can not offer me full time. The people are great and I have learned a lot. It is a good job but I need something more at the moment.
Pros
great co workers
A failing organaiziation
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHDecember 12, 2016
I have been there for over 4 years and have never felt like there is security in any position. Constant job losses, zero pay raises, no work-life balance, constant pressure to bring in more money, and ridiculous expectations to "force" volunteers to do more. The organization is extremely top heavy with no help in the field/community level and are operating under a fear based management. The field staff are the ones who bring in the income but yet get paid the least, not to mention the absolutely crazy schedules we work.
Pros
Amazing paid time off, passionate co-workers, and passionate volunteers
Cons
Low salary, extremely poor employee appreciation, zero work-life balance, mediocre managers, no opportunity for advancement, outdated technology and processes, and too many decision makers that are not in that field/communities.
Fantastic Job and Company
Project ASSIST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 12, 2016
Greatest job ever. You really make a difference here and the people and communities where you work appreciate you. Start our as a volunteer and eventually a full-time position may open up.
Pros
Great job - you make a difference - great benefits
Cons
Many jobs are grants so they don't last
Great purpose and mission to end cancer
Income Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 12, 2016
Our volunteers were great and the cause was even better. Our mission was to end cancer and help those with the disease until they were cancer free and comfort survivors.
Pros
Strong cause and teamwork.
Cons
All night relays.
Great mission but executive leadership is lost
Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2016
I worked at ACS for a long time and felt very proud about the mission for most of it but at the end of my tenure, it was clear that the organization is in a death-spiral and leadership has no idea how to correct it. Its very sad to watch an organization that I gave so much of my life to self-destruct. Very sad indeed.
Quiet and productive workplace.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 8, 2016
Overall I love the time I spend at The American Cancer Society. It's peaceful and easy to get things done. My co-workers were very nice and easy to get along with.
Wonderful Mission
Grassroots Manager, and registered lobbyist (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSDecember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for ACS. The staff environment was terrific. Felt that management cared about new employees advancement in the organization. Very rewarding.
Pros
The Events
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

American Cancer Society Reviews by Location