American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

This organization is not for people with families or commitments outside of work
Community Manager (Current Employee), Casper, WYAugust 25, 2015
Pros: raising money for a good cause
Cons: not supportive for nursing and/or single mothers; extensive travel, focus only on the bottom dollar
There is no work/life balance with this job. The time commitments, travel, and politics do not allow for family time as you are working days, evenings, and weekends. The organization is not supportive of pregnant women, nursing mothers, single working mothers/fathers, or individuals that have commitments outside of work. You are expected to travel to all your communities often (1.5-3 hours away) and attend several overnight trips out of town. They do not take into account the hardship this puts on single mothers (or fathers) or on nursing mothers. There is a lot of turnover with staff and management

There is a substantial amount of travel with this job - often working 13+ hour days. Although they say the working hours are flexible they are not. The work load is extensive - recruiting and training volunteers, soliciting sponsorship, recruiting teams, planning fundraisers, attending out of town meetings, administrative duties, overnight events, etc. Your success and evaluations are based on the amount of money that is raised in communities - performance is not based on the mission of the organization. It is based purely on the bottom dollar.

The only good part of the job are the people you meet in the communities and that money raised hopefully will help find a cure for cancer.
Very friendly and helpful staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Duluth, GAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch break
Cons: n/a
This was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed getting the experience and learning how the daily functions run. I learned administrative skills, including day-to-day office management.
Poor Management structure and a internal fiasco
Account Manager - Corporate Relations (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor culture and management structure
There is not very much room for upward growth within this organization. The majority of the staff have been here for over 5 years and have been rooted in their views even though the market is changing. The organization as a whole is not willing to change to meet market demands/expectations.
Worked with awesome group of prople
Recruiter/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Assiting in the Breast Cancer Walks On Long Island.
Cons: None
Assisting in making the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer happen. Over 80,000 participants at one location and we worked on two locations.

Hard work but so rewarding.
hard working, laid back office.
Health Systems Manager, Hospitals (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 18, 2015
Good place to work. Limited options for advancement. Great for developing skills. Leadership expects a lot and goals change throughout the year.
given a lot of freedom and encouragement to proceed with my ideas and events.
distinguished events (Current Employee), West Palm BeachAugust 16, 2015
Pros: get to be out in the field, networking and meetings, validation, status with peers, giving back and i love people and meeting with them.
Cons: pay for everything!Client lunches potential volunteers....very low reimbursement rate, gas!
reviewed with a lot of gratitude/appreciation for positive results and making great connections. work really well alone or with others. A lot of personal validation from recognition. Honest, loyal and very dedicated. I wish they paid for these jobs they require a lot of time, money and energy
Excellent place to work
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 14, 2015
Pros: helping individuals//voluntary time off
Cons: Emotionally exhausting
I worked as a Cancer Information specialist, and this was one of the best jobs I've ever had (especially considering it was in a call center). My manager at the time (who is no longer there) was the best manager I've ever had--hardworking and really was there for her employees. The hardest part of the job was definitely the emotional burnout factor, taking really difficult calls sometimes from highly escalated or disturbed individuals. The best part was how the company understood the toll that the work could take on you, and did a really great job of trying to make lots of PTO available, as well as foster a positive workplace culture.
Awesome non-profit for an amaxzing cause!!
Community Event Manager (Current Employee), Greeley, COAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Great learning opportunities, raising moey for a cure, meeting all of the volunteers and working side by side to finish the fight!!
Cons: downsized Community Manger positions, to many communities in portfolio, lots of traveling, hard to build in communities
There is no typical day in this position. I spend a lot of time in my communities trying to engage volunteers and business's but I am spread so thin and that makes it hard to be successful at this job! Prepare for events: logistics, sponsorship, teams, volunteers, survivors and caregivers. Many hours traveling. Co-workers are amazing!! We all work very well as a team!! My previous manager taught me a ton!! It had been a great learning career!! If I happen to get another job I do plan to volunteer for this organization as it is a cause near and dear to my heart!!
Community Manager, Relay For Life
Community Manager (Current Employee), Hauppauge, NYAugust 9, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, relaxed working environment, young team, forced fun
Cons: erratic management, too casual at times, forced fun, job performance depends on others
In the beginning it can come off as a very fun workplace, focused on supporting you in your craft as you learn. Very team oriented.

The job itself involves a lot of internal reports, internal team meetings, and micro-managerial updates, mixed with external meetings working with volunteers to plan with. You are also expected to hold meetings within schools, local government, and community organizations to grow the event. Hard to fit it all in - this job can really stretch you out.

It is stressful once you realize you're job performance at the end of the day, is graded on how much money your participants, teams, and volunteers raise. Additionally, it can be hard to balance work life and personal life, with management that has too many "priorities" for you, and a young team thats not very professional and can be an easy distraction.

What keeps you going are the meetings with the people who truly appreciate what you are trying to do for the organization. When someone can say that the American Cancer Society saved their life, or their loved one's life, thats what makes it worth it.
Wonderful staff and organization
Volunteer staff (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 5, 2015
Pros: helping others
Cons: distance from home
I volunteered here for several months making appointments, answering phones, helping put together materials for charity events, doing general clerical work, taking appointments with past/present cancer patients giving them donations, classes, etc. I loved the staff they were some of the sweetest people I've ever met. It just became too far without a car at the time to continue my volunteer service on a weekly basis
Quiet office, employees came and went at leisure
Community Manager, Relay For Life (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 4, 2015
A typical day spent in the office was working on administrative tasks: making appointments for the week, sending out emails, making phone calls, submitting expense and travel reports, and attending staff meetings. The other days of the week were spent in the field meeting with volunteers, attending previously made appointments, event site location visits, outreach to local businesses, attending city council meetings, and making payments for events.
Great Place, Great Cause, Great People
Data Capture Associate (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Great management
Cons: Seasonal
This seasonal position is possible because of the relay for life donation amounts. The day is spent entering donations data into the various systems, the managers are helpful, insightful and always very respectful to its employees. They promote from writhen, the team works well together, and the pay and benefits are industry standard. I enjoyed my time working here and hope to return next season.
Volunteer Work
Team Captain and President (Current Employee), San Juan, PRJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Helping people.
Cons: None
Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back. The American Cancer Society Relay For Life event is a life-changing experience that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to Celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, Remember loved ones lost, and Fight Back against the disease.

Bark For Life is an American Cancer Society Relay For Life fundraising event that honors the care giving qualities of canine companions.
Great work environment
Intern (Former Employee), Manasquan, NJJuly 27, 2015
Friendly work environment that allowed me to grow as an individual as well as enhancing my confidence in the work place.
Very cultured work place where you feel good about what you do .
Community Relationship Manager (Current Employee), Flagstaff ArizonaJuly 22, 2015
In the past 3 plus years working with the American Cancer Society I have not only been able to grow in my job and skills and strengths but I have been able to grow as a person. It has been such a rewarding experience to work with my co workers and cancer survivors , patients , or loved ones that have lost members to cancer. A big part of my daily work involves community outreach and that has been such a joy to my job.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Data Entry (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJuly 19, 2015
Amazing environment. Management and coworkers were great and fun to work around. Learned more of the behind the scenes of what goes into the Walk's of Life and how they put together different kit's for cancer patients. Loved it all.
Community Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2015
Pros: Spread the Mission about fighting cancer and helped a lot of people.
Cons: No work life balance and your judged by the amount of money you raise, not the hard work or seeds you plant in the communities.
Organize and create written plans to accomplish income development goals incorporating best practice policies.
Managed Portfolio’s of $298,000 Average.
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in the amount of $125,000.
Developed and facilitated Bark For Life of Pima County fundraising event
Increased membership and awareness with the non-patrician ACS Cancer Action Network.
Manage volunteers to assist development, implementation fundraising, recruitment and management of event timelines and budgets.Conduct meetings and training's with event leadership working with all aspects of their events to assure successful outcomes.
Community Manager, Relay For Life
Community Manager, Relay For Life (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Coworkers with heart, non-corporate feel, autonomy, 403(b) plan, gas reimbursement, PTO
Cons: Managing volunteers, may have over 40-hour work weeks, must have or quickly develop strong grasp on energy, emotional, and time management to be successful
Lots of autonomy and responsibility is granted on the first day of the job, with formal and online training given simultaneously with work for the first few weeks. Learned to correct ineffectiveness and inefficiencies quickly, as confidence, time, energy, and emotional management are crucial to be a right fit for the job. You can expect lots of cold calling, scheduling and attending appointments, managing events and accounts, fundraising, and conflict resolution. You are dealing with volunteers and businesses to maximize returns on your investment on finite resources and creativity to raise funds and awareness for the fight against cancer. Hard work, but all for great and noble mission.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Company travel, participate in events, 401K, health insurance benefits
Cons: Not enough staff
While working as an Executive Assistant at the American Cancer Society, I worked with five Special Event Directors as well as the state of Florida Volunteers. I was responsible for assisting with Staff and Volunteer Trainings for Relay For Life, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and Balls & Galas. My duties included coordinating travel plans for staff and volunteers, order and stock merchandise for training events, reconciling company cards, create training manuals, update online websites and answered and transferred calls using a multi-line phone system and switchboard.
The American Cancer Society taught me how to better multi-task. Management and co-workers all worked together in achieving fundraising goals for the State of Florida. All employees were a part of a team that worked towards a main goal of helping to find a cure to cancer while helping volunteers in need of medical or emotional support.
The hardest part of the job was being spread too thin. Being spread so short with staff often left the few employees to feel overwhelmed. However, we always managed to exceed expectations of staff and volunteers attending trainings.
The most enjoyable part of being an Executive Assistant with the American Cancer Society was working directly with the volunteers. Having the privilege to work with volunteers allowed me to see how cancer affected individuals and families and I saw first hand how much of a difference American Cancer Society made to those in need at such a difficult time in their lives.
I learned..
Dir., Initiatives & Corp. Dev (Former Employee), Tampa FloridaJuly 13, 2015
Hard work pays off! Cancer diagnosis are down! Survivorship is up!

Volunteers are a group passionate people and very effective if matched with the right volunteer job.

Managing a team of hardworking passionate competitive people is harder than one thinks, yet one of the most rewarding experiences one will ever have.

ACS was essential in my professional career.