American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

American Cancer Society
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
It is hard to fairly rate this Company as it was an Internship/family connection. I truly enjoyed the giving back aspect of the job and seeing the smiles of those who attended events, etc. Employees felt excited, yet it can be stressful to and time consuming to work weekends, especially if you have families.
Good company to work for
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for the American Cancer Society. I worked as seasonal help in the graphic design department. Management was easy to work with and the pay was very good.
Pros
Good managment, good pay
Productive and enjoyable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2018
My typical day at work is pretty busy throughout the day, which I enjoy because I like to stay busy. I have a lot of different tasks to do daily but it's never overwhelming.
I enjoyed working here
Special Events Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2018
American Cancer Society was contracted for 6 months, preparing the Making Strides against Breast Cancer. Amazing, to see the thousands of Women and Men ( Survivor and still Battling Breast Cancer) so Much Energy and Hope
Great Place to work for self satisfaction
Senior Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoy my employment at ACS. It is a lot of work but worth it for all of the people you are helping. I enjoy my employment at ACS. They allow for a flexible schedule.
rewarding work helping others. Large staff very devoted
Director of Donations and Data Processing (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 8, 2018
Great employees benefits and knowledgeable management staff. Seemed rushed to deliver without complete planning or implementation. Problems when projects implemented requiring project to have work-arounds . Still a very devoted staff from management to processing employees
Pros
Great reward for work
Cons
Longs unpredictable hours. Some confustion on roles
Awesome
Co-Lead ♦ Accountant & Registration (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 7, 2018
Loved working for American Cancer Society. Amazing committee, wonderful teamwork, and loved my supervisor. If any has a chance to work with this orgainization I would recommend it.
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 7, 2018
Fast paced and competitive. Team coaches are always there for help and guidance. Hours are flexible for family and sick time. Insurance is offered for full time employees. Safe and secure environment
Pros
Friendly, flexible hours
Cons
No paid breaks
My review is below
RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 5, 2018
I worked with the American Cancer Society on a part-time basis for three years as a recruiter for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. It has been an enjoyable working experience working with such an honorable organization.
Pros
The cause
Cons
Salary
State Based Health Systems Manager
Health Systems Manager, State Based (Former Employee) –  NCJanuary 5, 2018
I enjoyed the work and the partners I worked with on a regular basis. The culture is based upon a collaborative work environment which allowed me to work with a variety different groups in NC. This was great experience. Although I was given an abundance of vacation, I seldom took vacation without continuing to answer emails and have phone conferences due to the demands of the job.
Pros
good benefits and vacation
Cons
very long hours
Once upon a time ,the ACS was the place to be
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 4, 2018
Through many transformations and restructurings , the organization changed. Perhaps the regions that I was involved changed leaving a sour taste in mouths of many. Its is not the experience that offered you job security, it became an environment of who you new and how well you kissed...
The ACS has provided life saving support and resources to so many people in need, may the continue their efforts and continue to save those we love.
Pros
work life balance -remote-benefits-MISSION
Cons
Enviroment -cut throat-clicky
Compassionate
Intern Patient Navigator (Former Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NYJanuary 3, 2018
So many things to do and the staff is always willing to show you around. The environment is engaging and knowing that youre making a difference makes the work better.
a typical day
Office Manager, Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Knolls, NJJanuary 2, 2018
Stopping by the front desk to retrieve messages and return calls, taking phone off DND.

Starting Coffee pot, making sure kitchen is stocked with milk, creamers, sugar, forks, stirrers, coffee, plates, knives.

making sure friderator is clean

Go to mailroom, set out mail that was left overnight, distribute overnight faxes.

Lights on in conference room, projector and computer set up if there is any meeting scheduled.

Sit at regular desk, check emails and respond. Get work ready for volunteer who will arrive at 10 am

check voicemail, answer door, sign for packages, sort mailing, pay bills online, mail out packages (USPS, FEDEX, UPS).

Order supplies from Staples

coordinate office meeting in online calendar.

clear printer for employees (always jams)

Lunch

Meetings/Conference calls

Trainings (in person or online).
An excellent place to develop resume
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2017
This is a wonderful organization to build your resume and to develop job skills in the social work field. This organization will deliver the opportunity to work with a diverse field of coworkers and give employees a taste of working with many levels of clients from a broad range of at-risk populations.
Community Manager, Relay for Life (Current Employee) –  FLDecember 19, 2017
This is a great place to work when you are single. Raising a family is hard because the hours are long. I do love my manager and enjoy the work I do here.
Pros
time off and benefits
Cons
work life balance, pay
Great place to work and company very transparent with donated dollars
Fundraising/Participant Outbound Call Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CADecember 18, 2017
I really enjoyed helping put on the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Society of Silicon Valley. I love working with survivors and being able to assist participants who have a common interest in the issue of breast cancer.
Pros
Very fulfilling
Cons
Only a six month assignment
Enjoyed working with volunteers and being involved with the community. Very rewarding
Manager, Relay for Life (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CADecember 17, 2017
Time spent in the office but most of my time was spent out in the community, working with volunteers and evening committee meetings. Flexible hours due to the many evening meetings and weekend events. I enjoyed working with volunteers who were passionate about helping the cause.
Pros
Working to make a difference in the fight against cancer
Relaxed environment, no place to grow
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 16, 2017
Be clear and honest and remove leaders who are not fulfilling their goals or are not turning things around. Layoff some leadership level positions instead of always cutting the worker bees.
Pros
Generous PTO, good healthcare, work from home opportunities, purposeful mission
Cons
Bad Senior Leadership, low morale, revenue trending down for years, Staff cuts …
Struggles of non-profits
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 13, 2017
Working for ACS was wonderful, but the struggles of non-profit organizations are very real and very sad. This was a great place to work, just not very secure for long-term advancement. Hopefully, the situation will change and things will improve. There were periods of relaxed, steady work and other periods of fast-paced, frantic production. There was never a dull moment.
Pros
Family-oriented environment
Cons
Corporate downsizing/turnover
Community Events Manager
COMMUNITY EVENTS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 13, 2017
ACS was my first job out of college. I had 5 supervisors in the 3 1/2 years I worked there. There is basically no training, so I learned everything from my sweet coworkers. There is a lot of independence and a lot of flexibly. However you do work 60 hour weeks during event season. Your volunteers can reach you at all times of the day and night. ACS gives you a stipend for your cell phone and pays a percentage of your gas when you travel for them. The healthcare is AMAZING that is why people stay so long. The pay is competitive, atleast for a non-profit but while I was there I made my fundraising goal three years in a row. I was promised a merit increase every time and did not get one until I finally got a boss that would fight for me to get one. Numbers and your goal is everything to them. If you work there is is important to know that they expect you to make goal every year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.