American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Great mission
Coordinator, Community Support (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 6, 2017
The American Cancer Society is currently undergoing a major transformation, once completed they will be the organization that finds a cure for cancer.
Slow Paced Office
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNNovember 4, 2017
The office is now closed. It was a slower paced job but the employees were friendly and engaging. Job did have advancements to move up if employees were willing to relocate.
Enjoyed my time there
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2017
Good place to work for most of my career. Worked with many great employees and volunteers over the years. Best part of working there was the people you work with.
A difficult environment
Director, Pilot Educational Program in schools (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLNovember 3, 2017
This was many years ago so I imagine that a lot has changed. My manager was horribly critical of everything everyone did, including the volunteers who are the life-blood of an organization like this.
Great Organization
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Napa, CANovember 2, 2017
I have truly enjoyed working for them! I have gained allot of great experience and my managers have been a pleasure to work with! Working with volunteers and wonderful people has made my job enjoyable.
Remote Position
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 2, 2017
I worked remotely which has it's pros and cons. I enjoy the team feeling even with working remote. Very supportive peers and managers. Great benefits within the company.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
When remote you miss one on one communication
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working there; however, if you don't like planning events to raise money, this is probably not the place for you. Enjoyed helping people and environment was good. Traffic was horrible getting to work and had to pay to park.
Pros
Great location overlooking the park
Cons
Pay to park
American Cancer Society
Executive Assistant, Strat. Business Mgr (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2017
I was impressed how the American Cancer society used donor dollars with care. The Finance team I worked with was a tough working group that cared about what they did and getting results through hard work.
They take all your free time
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2017
They give you so much work and such high expectations that it is impossible to perform the job well without working less than 50 hours a week. During event season you will easily work 60-70 hours a week without any additional time off or compensation. The management is not appreciative of the time you put in. If you do good work, they will put more on your plate without any additional compensation. They have no appreciattion for family life. They give you a lot of time off, but it is almost impossible to find the time to use it. You are expected to be available 24/7. There is little to no opportunity for raises or advancement.

The job description is great but it does not reflect the reality of the job.
Pros
Good Mission of use of donor dollars
Cons
work-life balance
Fun workplace
Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 30, 2017
Very self rewarding job when you are in charge of bringing smiles to kids faces who are dealing with childhood cancer. Challenged with supervising hundreds of volunteers
Pros
Self Fulfillment
Cons
recruiting volunteers
Fun Place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 26, 2017
It was a great experience to help out and supporting the people who is fighting against cancer. Coming from a family who dealt with Cancer, it was an honor to create a difference and to show people that there is hope, and never ever give up.
easy going, working our own pace
(volunteer only) (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 26, 2017
The thing that I liked here was that it was working at your own pace sorting and putting things on display, it was very easy, not challenging at all. It was only volunteer work.
Flexible but difficult
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2017
Hard work but great people, great volunteers - hard to find life/work balance; too much work to accomplishment in a day's time but definitely fulfilling especially for those that like challenges and are connected to the cause
A Typical day at work
Data Processing/File Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OH 43017October 20, 2017
The Management is ok. Workplace culture is ok.
My job is responsible for Data Entry Clerk. Processed Donor information, verified data, and other duties as assigned.
American Cancer Society afforded me many opportunities to increase my skills during my time there.
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30303October 20, 2017
Although, the organization went through a fit for purchase restructure for years, it allowed me the opportunity to cross train in various areas within IT. During which I had the opportunity to work in spaces that typically an Accounting role would not have.
Very Laid back in my department
RESEARCH INTEGRATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2017
American Cancer Society is a great company to work for, but the advancement is hard to do in a non-profit. Especially in my position and the department where I am located.
The mission is great and the reward is satisfying
RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  New Windsor, NYOctober 18, 2017
The workload is heavy and trying but the end result, the walk for the cure is amazing. As a recruiter we are in charge of rallying the people to participate in the big event.
Pros
The Walk against cancer is beautiful, thanks to you
Cons
The workload is a lot. Heavy call volume call center.
Smooth operating and quiet stress free environment
Data Capture Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 18, 2017
Working at the American Cancer Society was stress free not to mention all the perks the job also provided. Due to training they provided helped me to keep my skills more knowledgeable. ASC is a nice quiet place to work you can enjoy your head phone set while working. They kept you very busy so always made the day go by fast but unfortunately my position was eliminated and I were laid off and now seeking current full time employment.
Pros
Flex schedule 37.5 hours a week
Cons
Expensive Healthcare
Great internship
Fuller Junior Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 17, 2017
Really enjoyed my time here through a summer undergraduate research fellowship. Would recommend this program to undergraduate students interested in pursuing medical school.
Good organization
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 17, 2017
The organization values employees however the particular position does not have the best work-life balance and hours. There was a lot of travel involved also although you are given rental cars and do not have to use your own.
Pros
Flexible schedule, relaxed office environment, good mission
Cons
Hours, travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.