American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Meaningful work
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 18, 2016
While the work is meaningful and the culture is good, the hours you work aren't worth it. They are currently in a wage freeze, so no raises this year. and you will work a a TON of hours.
Pros
good benefits, diverse, meaningful
Cons
ridiculous hours, micro-management
Fun workplace
MSABC Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 1, 2016
Worked with friendly co-workers; learned sales rebuttals; management often showed favoritism among certain workers; didn't like having short and restricted breaks.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks; no benefits
Great benefits, high expectations, minimal resources
COMMUNITY EVENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 7, 2017
ACS was a great place to work, offering amazing benefits to all employees. Most people are quite happy to be there, and have a passion for the cause (fighting cancer).

Depending on the position you have, there is a high expectation for most employees to work nights and weekends. Also, being a non-profit, resources are minimal and volunteers are heavily relied upon.
Pros
Great benefits, generous PTO
Cons
Minimal resources, high demands
Uplifting and enjoyable work environment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2016
Very professional environment and staff. I was able to be involved with well known leaders in our country and others. Be apart of projects that affected the world. This job opened my eyes to the variety of professions a nurse could have. I experienced respectful management that enjoyed teaching and educating staff and encouraging career advancement.
Pros
Job advancement and environment
Great Place to Work!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRFebruary 20, 2017
I have the utmost respect and admiration for all the members of the ACS. They are great mentors, human beings and they love their work. The time I was there as a volunteer was one of the most rewarding experiences I ever felt in my life, it was an eye opener for me to understand the treasure of life and volunteering.
Pros
company culture
Cons
short bearks, fast paced enviorment
East Lansing MI Branch
MSABC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 24, 2016
I enjoyed working for the American Cancer Society! The environment was very fun and something was always going on. MSABC is a very fun project and very fast paced time line. Only down side is little movement upwards. You have the ability to become a coach and that is about as far as it goes unless you relocate. Oh, and you have to clock out for bathroom breaks.
Pros
Fun, co-workerd are gre
Cons
Turn-over rate, and little advancement, clock out for bathroom breaks.
Great place to donate and volunteer
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 3, 2016
The volunteers work very hard and the store atmosphere overall is very good because of the volunteers and the manager, and their commitment to the cause of fighting cancer and finding a cure. It is a wonderful cause and I believe the Discovery Shops overall do amazing things. I loved working there, but found it very frustrating at times because there are way too many management layers, making for lost opportunities. Had the Area Director given positive feedback, and been a nurturing mentor, she might have had a better reputation and could have made a positive impact on our shop . Despite that, my manager found ways to keep it positive and upbeat most of the time.
Pros
Volunteers are well thought of and they work around your schedule.
Cons
Too many management layers, out of touch with the individual stores.
Great Mission
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 23, 2016
I decided to work for the Society simply because of the mission! As long as you keep the right focus and give it your all to save lives, it will be worth the rest.
Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Working Here
Working here (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 27, 2016
I am currently working here but looking for advancement. The overall culture is good. Work life balance could be better but the ownership is on yourself.
Nice place to work
Division Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 30, 2017
I enjoy working for the American Cancer Society the biggest downfall is the inability to grow, unless there is some type of change that goes on within the organization. Management is good because you are trusted to do the job that you were hired to do.
Pros
working with volunteers
Cons
No growth opportunity
Community manager Relay For Life
Community Manager, Relay For Life (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 4, 2016
There's a large amount of travel commitment for this job. You also need to work many nights and weekends. They do give comp days for those days that you work overnight for events managed (Relay For Life). There are also great benefits for working there and many PTO days available. Also great health benefits as well. Good for work/life balance.
Fantastic Job and Company
Project ASSIST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 12, 2016
Greatest job ever. You really make a difference here and the people and communities where you work appreciate you. Start our as a volunteer and eventually a full-time position may open up.
Pros
Great job - you make a difference - great benefits
Cons
Many jobs are grants so they don't last
Flexible time and benefits, wildly different management culture
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  High Plains DivisionMay 20, 2016
Lots of positions and pretty decent job security, but not much room for advancement or comparable horizontal movement. You can literally move from place to place with the exact same entry-level job. Execs & field operations are pretty disconnected. Each area of the country works completely differently still, so everyone's experience is different based on their division.
Pros
Lots of time off earned, flexible scheduling
Cons
Flexibility determined by managers, minimal work/life balance in the field
American Cancer Society is an awesome place to work. My co-workers and I share the same passon to find cures for cancer.
Coordinator Event/Office Support (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2017
I have worked at American Cancer Society for almost eight years and I love the people I work with, but they are going through a transformation right now, which doesn't make me feel secure. The people I work with are very caring and loving. The atmosphere is very calm and friendly. I enjoy a verity of different projects through out my day. I like staying busy. I love being challenged to learn new opportunities to improve my job responsibilities.
Pros
Free lunches, free Relay For Life items, many days of PTO
Cons
Great people working for a great cause
Community Engagement Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day involves marketing events in communities, attending
event planning meetings, lots and lots of reports and paperwork. Hard to find a good work/life balance.
Pros
great people
Cons
job instability
Great atmosphere
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
Great atmosphere to work in and learn what it is like to fundraise for the less fortunate. Coordinating helped me learn what its like to manage different tasks at once.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
non paid
Community networking
Senior Community Relay Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Network in the community
Management skills
Computer skills
Organized, verbal and written communication skills
Hiring and firing
Reports and analytics
Pros
Flexible
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission.
Coordinator, Event Support (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 16, 2016
We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.

Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Great Environment
Senior Market Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 23, 2017
Very encouraging work place. I never had a questioned unanswered! Management was great and always kept everyones eyes on the goal.
Very community oriented. Management was very hands on and helpful. Main goal is to educate public about services and be available to patients.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 27, 2016
I give them the best review possible, 5 stars. ACS is amazing and I would advise anyone to utilize their resources for assistance. They are always willing to work with their employees when it comes to career advancement or balancing home and work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

82%