American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Employee Reviews in United States

Worthy work, but managers created a hostile, stressful work environment
Community Manager, Relay For Life (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILDecember 9, 2015
I enjoyed my coworkers and volunteers. I enjoyed the fund raising event. The organization is very impressive and does good work. However, managers create a hostile work environment where all that counts is numbers. Little value placed on hard work and efforts.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers and volunteers, satisfying work
Cons
Managers who only care about numbers. Quick with criticism, stingy with support
Good Place to start
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 30, 2015
I think this is a great place to start your career. There is an opportunity to learn many things. The most enjoyable part of the job is attending events. The hardest part is dealing with office gossip and politics.
Pros
Brand Recognition, flexible hours
Cons
low pay, no job security
Great workplace
Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2015
Fantastic benefits and a rewarding work environment. The pay isn't the best, but this is expected of a non profit. Great place to learn the ins and outs of the non profit industry, and work with great people.
Left go once they knew I was pregnant
Data Entry/ Computer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 29, 2015
I was told I would be full time for months they never did it ended up cutting my hours then laying me off once they knew I was pregnant. Which I thought was terrible to do when that's when you need money the most.
Pros
Nice people, good cause
Get ready to work 70 hours per week
community manager (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 27, 2015
There is no work/life balance with this company. You are on call with volunteers 24/7. The management sends constant emails even while you are on vacation that need a reply immediately. If you have children, this is impossible.
Productive and team work environment.
Execuvite Assistant-Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 24, 2015
Coworkers are caring and helpful. Enjoy fund raising activities. Fun office bake sales. Team work is always encouraged.
Loved this job
Seasonal Batch Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 23, 2015
The American Cancer Society genuinely cares about its employees.

Lots of meetings all with little food (such as cookies).

Relaxed, yet productive work environment.

I rarely felt treated by any employer with that much respect and integrity.

The only downside was the pay, considering the CEO gets several million my paychecks were very very small not enough to support myself much less a family. I was however seasonal and part time and we were often send home when there was not much work (light mail days).
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
I rarely got paid that little
Summary
DATA CAPTURE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 16, 2015
Excellent organization with a great cause to stand behind. Great benefits. Best part is going to sleep at night knowing you're making a difference. Meeting survivors and doing it for them is a perk. Unfortunately, my position was "one of a kind" and too much for one person.
fun work place
Breast Cancer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 15, 2015
supervisor was helpful, job felt meaningful, great work environment, nice co workers, fundraisers, participate in breast cancer walk
Pros
good pay, helping people
Cons
can be stressfull meeting goals and deadlines
Fun and warm place to work
Community Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 14, 2015
wonderful caring place to work. Low pay and ok benefits. Laid off due to recession. People believed in mission. Loved helping people that were cancer patients.
Pros
Mission, caring coworkers, good supervisors, helping cancer patients
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Dedicated Non Profit Employees
Asisstant to the Director of Public Relations (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJNovember 13, 2015
Assistant to the Dir. of Public Relations, I loved coordinating events. Handling all business in regard to Public Relations for the American Cancer Society.
Pros
Relaxed Atmosphere, Great employees
Cons
no Cons to the workplace
Great society to volunteer for
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, MINovember 12, 2015
I really enjoy volunteering for the American Cancer Society. All the people I have met throughout the years are great people. I have learned the being a volunteer can make you feel wonderful! The hardest part of this job is hearing all the names of the cancer patients who have passed. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the smiling people who have survived and beat cancer!
Pros
Finding a cure
Cons
N/A
Incompetent Managers and Endless Hours
Relay For Life Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 11, 2015
This, by far, is one of the worst organizations to work for. The managers they hire lack communication and delegation skills. They also are incompetent when it comes to training. The onboarding program is wonderful but it is not followed up on when you start working. There's very little direction as to how you do your job though you are expected to know and many of the volunteers you work with are no help. They have high expectations and you are expected in return to fill any request they have, even if it is last minute, which it usually is.
Management is very good at making you think of people that you have lost to cancer and they use their deaths to get you to do more than expected. They do a good job hiding behind their cause and the volunteers are so emotionally invested that they often forget things yet expect you to instinctively know what they need, though you were never told. An employee might get good at this mind reading after years of working Relays, but certainly not the first time.
I'm surprised that I was not diagnosed with cancer after working at American Cancer Society. The level of stress that employees go through is obscene and there is very little wellness or work-life balance that you would expect from an organization that is supposedly trying to save lives.
Management may tell you that you will be hired for a 35 hour workweek and that in the winter you will be able to use your vacation because your volunteers will not need you. These are lies. The only way you get to take any time off is if you are ahead of your income goal and that doesn't occur until
  more... after the Relays.
My recommendation is that you avoid this organization at all costs. I spent many times trying to defend American Cancer Society from people that would come up to me at banks when I made a Relay deposit. They'd notice my shirt and tell me what a corrupt organization I worked for.
After being there, I was told that ACS does so much for people with cancer other than research to benefit drug companies. But then a friend was diagnosed and she received very little help, though they did show her how to put on makeup. But that was the total support she got from them. And now, instead of checking in on her and seeing how she is doing, she gets solicited to donate to ACS. Just all around horrible.
Pros
You don't have to buy your own ACS polo.
Cons
Everything else.
Wonderful environment
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maryville, ILNovember 10, 2015
Excellent environment with a supportive team mentality. I was there as a temporary event coordinator. During that time I found the staff at the Maryville office kind, polite, dedicated and always willing to help.
Great, passionate coworkers, but not worth the poor work-life balance
Community Manager, Special Events (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 9, 2015
American Cancer Society is a great organization and has done a lot to further the fight against cancer. However, the employee turnover rate is so high because of poor work-life balance. As a Community Manager, many, many nights and weekends are taken up by meetings and events. It leaves little time for family, unless they are helping to volunteer at events (which we all seem to enlist them to do!). It's a great learning experience but bad experiences with volunteers (which I've had several) can really damage the impression of the Society. It can squelch your passion a little bit- but some people are cut out for this job, others, unfortunately, are not. I walked away with some great friends made, though!
Pros
Passionate Co-workers; Flexibility; Working from Home; Feeling Like You're Making a Difference
Cons
Work-life Balance; Compensation; Partnership with Nasty Volunteers
productive
office clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 4, 2015
I worked for this company and enjoyed every second of every shift worked. They are a family and ensures you and your family are priority to them.
A job with a purpose
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 4, 2015
ACS is the nationwide, community-based, voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer through research, education, advocacy and service. I worked with staff and volunteers who lived and breathed this mission and I was proud to share this mission with friends, family, strangers.

A typical day in the Income Development department included arranging meetings, making travel plans, taking meeting minutes, working with volunteers to motivate and encourage fundraising initiatives and much, much more.
Pros
Making a positive impact in my community.
A great mission with a lack of leadership
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2015
While the organization accomplishes a great deal in the fight against cancer and is the leading authority on cancer information the constant internal political struggles, silos and lack of cooperation between departments leads to a great waste of donor dollars.
Pros
Good work life balance. Standard 9 to 5 work day. Good benefits.
Cons
Poor leadership. Lots of politics. Very little employee recognition.
Typical Day
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2015
Laid back environment. Making calls to the community for participation in this years breast cancer walks and help with fundraising. Great coworkers, lovely building.
Rewarding but stressful work
Managing Director, Community Engagement (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 27, 2015
strong belief in the mission makes the work very meaningful. The expectations. volume and pace of the work is very stressful. Many changes recently has resulted in a lot of staff turnover.