American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Talent Development Partner (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJune 14, 2017
Culture has had highs and lows. For many of the staff, continued organizational changes has made it difficult to stay motivated. Many roles have changed once more, with less resources and higher demand of work output.
The best part of the job
Manager, Income Services and Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2017
The best part of the job is three-fold: believing in the mission of the organization, learning new things regularly, and the team of dedicated, smart, professional people I work with
A great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
As volunteer I met a diverse group of people who have touched my hearts and in doing so has kept me motivated to continue to help the organization throughout the years.
Don't Do It
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2017
Management and team supervisors here are horrible and very inexperienced. The morale is way down and most people are looking for other employment as the company continues to lay people off. They have gotten way off track as far as being there for the patients.I would not recommend this company to anyone. The average stay for employees is 1.5 years which is not very long.
Pros
Help Patients
Cons
pay is very low, morale is low, and management is incompetant.
great place to work
Director of Planned Giving (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 4, 2017
great place to work with a strong culture of helping people with cancer and sponsoring research into finding better treatments and even cures for various types of cancer.
Pros
inspiring mission
Volunteering
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 4, 2017
I volunteered during the summer as a receptionist for the company. I answered phone calls, greeted visitors, and did other various tasks. It was a nice learning experience and I gained a lot from volunteering there.
Making a difference on a daily basis
Temp (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 30, 2017
ACS was a wonderful place to work. The only complaint I would have is the favoritism that takes place. You need to understand it is a temp assignment therefore it can be ended at any time. There are several employee's that have been there for years. They provide great training for their new employee's. Team leaders do their best to coach and motivate the employee's. I think the pay is pretty good however when doing fundraising during the day I think the employee's should make more money. Training department is very supportive and are willing to help at anytime.
Pros
The training and the people
Cons
favoritism and late hours
Boring place with no opportunities
Marketing Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 28, 2017
Input into excel, send out mailing lists for events, organize events
Learned how to manage events
Hardest part was not being paid
Most enjoyable the people
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Community service
Passionate environment due to the cause.
Sr Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 26, 2017
The volunteer network is energizing and the success of the organization is immeasurable!
The hardest part of the job is the continued need for growth and the demands of the disease
Do not work for this organization
Community Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 26, 2017
This organization is going through another "transformation." What does that mean to you? No pay raises, limiting your budget to the point you cannot be effective in your role, layoffs, offices closing. As far as training is concerned you do not get any or what you get is inadequate. American Cancer Society only prioritizes large companies/organizations who donate HUGE amounts of money to the organization. They promote staff in Revenue departments and those staff work about 30% of the day. Do not work for this organization, you have been warned.
Pros
Cons
no pay raises, no room for growth, bad management, low employee moral
Great in theory too many reorganizations to count
manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 25, 2017
Started out the job of a lifetime quickly learned the internal culture was very cutthroat people constantly wanting credit willing to throw people under the bus small group of people not like that but the majority Appeared to be. Higher leadership promotes based on favoritism. I'm amazed to see leaders that are not producing continue to hold jobs They don't really address employee issues have a tendency to just continue to promote problem people. I will say if you work events you will constantly be busy and perhaps more experience a lot of the backstabbing. Don't regret the experience. Definitely a learning lesson
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sometimes promotions are not based on ability
American Cancer Society
Corporate Contact Center Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2017
I was on a contract position with MSABC a few years back. I really enjoyed the work environment, management was good and there was always an opportunity to make connections with people working for the same organization, striving for the same cause. Taking the mission and vision seriously is important as well. Management was great and the people there were very friendly. The culture of the environment was easily adaptable. The hardest part of the job was the travel to downtown as well as lunch hour, finding a decent place to eat for an hour. Otherwise, I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Nice people, beautiful office
Cons
Commute to downtown
Productive fun working enviorment
Assistant cook to Chef Raúl Gómez (Former Employee) –  Carolina, PRMay 23, 2017
We always held events for any company who decided to have a catering business held. it was fun serving the hard working guest who ran miles and miles for the fight of raising awareness for the American cancer society.
Pros
Volunteer work
Cons
we paid for our foods
Overall Experience with American Cancer Society
Senior Manager, Data Capture (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2017
I look forward to getting to work each and every day, to ensure being a good stewards of all donor dollars. Overall culture is one that enables staff to be able to balance both job and work with heavy emphasis on family. Every day brings different challenges from managing staff perspective. Promoting an open environment brings different perspectives for resolutions. During times of higher volumes, it is challenging to ensure direct reports have staff where they are needed and that they are being moved around throughout the day to stay within Service Level Agreements are being met. Overall, working for the American Cancer Society has afforded me the chance to fight for a cause that affects many on a daily basis.
Pros
great cause, great benefits, job/work balance, family environment
Great organization
SENIOR COORDINATOR - AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 19, 2017
wonderful mission, great people and wonderful benefits
opportunity for growth
personal satisfaction of helping cancer patients and their families
supervisor was excellent
Pros
Pto
Great Work Life Balance
Division Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 18, 2017
The ACS is a great organization to work for. I enjoy it most because when you tell people you work for an organization like the ACS they automatically are interested in you programs and services. I am proud to be part of an organization that does so much to help others. The best part about the job is the work/life balance. It allows me the opportunity to be a mother and to provide for my family. I enjoy working here. My managers are wonderful and it's a great place to work overall.
Productive workplace
Marketing/Event Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 17, 2017
Get to work in an office where you have a direct impact on local community events and efforts towards cancer support. Co-workers are supportive and collaborative.
Sinking Ship
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2017
ACS gives absolutely no training. You start with a hand-out that tells of a "typical" day. Start: 8:30 am at the local coffee shop, meet a volunteer, then have lunch with a volunteer, go back to the coffee shop and catch up on emails--and you're done at 4:30. That's bologna!!
Truth: Start your day before you're out of bed with an angry text from a volunteer, get to the office where you're drowning in emails, but can't get to them all because you're supposed to be in the field trying to get sponsorships from people you aren't connected with, and recruiting teams to fundraise. You probably have coffee and/or lunch meetings, then a meeting with the group of volunteers after dinner and get home around 11pm. THAT'S a typical day about 16 work days a month. AND, starting in "Relay Season" say goodbye to your weekends, too. OH, and if Relay didn't bring in enough money, then everyone is required to work at additional fundraising jobs through November, while planning for the next Relay year-getting your leadership team in place AND helping with the breast cancer walk. It's plain exhausting.
Pros
The people you work with, PTO is generous-if you can squeeze time off into your busy schedule
Cons
pay, no raise/incentive to perform, no training, management has no clue
flexible volunteer job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Annandale, NJMay 16, 2017
I found that the work place was neat and clean. I had flexible volunteer hours and duties. The staff was accommodating to my scheduling needs. Friendly and understanding staff.
Pros
flexible, work was appreciated
Cons
dark office
good job security & low salary
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2017
low salary. few opportunities for advancement. monotonous work. high attrition rate. work/life balance was good. felt you could make a difference in people's life.