American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Employer Reviews

Fulfilling work
Community Relations Representative (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIJune 4, 2014
I love this job, however I work 60-80 a week and that leaves little time for my family.
wonderful mission and services available to the community
Relay For Life Manager (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 26, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: small opportunity for growth and advancement
great place although slim to no opportunity for growth. Not too much room for salary increase. Incentives are not offered but great benefits package and flexibility is offered to employees.
boo
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 20, 2014
It was a horrible place to work. Barely enough money to survive. However, the upper management people in Atlanta are making millions.
Great fun with great people
Mission Education and Delivery Chair (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 20, 2014
It's amazing seeing so many people come together to make an impact on cancer.
Weak management, long hours for very little pay
Specialist, Relay for Life (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2014
Pros: working with some amazing volunteers and colleagues; lots of field work
Cons: weak/ineffective management, too many meetings/calls, unrealistic expectations placed on staff with no support from management
Management varies greatly among divisions, but for Los Angeles area Relay staff, it's terrible. Managers are not knowledgeable and do not provide adequate training. Resources are plentiful, but difficult to find, as website is constantly changing. Volunteers are frustrated with organizational politics, making the job even harder. I was fortunate to – more... work in a GREAT office filled with wonderful people (my manager being the exception), which was the only saving grace. ACS is truly a very strange blend of non-profit organization with corporate policies/structure. – less
Supportive and Engaging
CO-CHAIR, VOLUNTEER RELAY FOR LIFE (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2014
Pros: acs invests in training its volunteers, there is a breadth and depth of materials to draw upon, the people are sincere and nice to work with.
Cons: experienced volunteers are very evangelical, however not always practically helpful.
The American Cancer Society offers a tremendous wealth of training materials. There are many incumbent volunteers who are tremendously enthusiastic and supportive.

The organization is very focused on creating new events / fundraising communities. I feel it can do better in encouraging experienced volunteers to partner / buddy with new volunteers in – more... new regions to create more seamless first time events in new geographies. – less
RUN FAST...ACS Los Angeles - HORROR
Senior Manager, Relay For Life (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: poor management, harassment, no life balance, unrealistic goal set, 110% is never enough! i would not wish this place on my worst enemy!
The worst WORK experience ever. POOR Management, harassment, no life balance, unrealistic goal set, 110% is never enough! I would not wish this place on my worst enemy!
Volunteer work for a good cause
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chino Hills, CAMay 9, 2014
Pros: help get donations to find a cure for cancer
Helped set up and worked registration booth and other areas as needed, also helped clean up and get donations for the organization.
Loved working with the patients!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 8, 2014
The Wig Program and the Look Good Feel Better Program are excellent for those women going through chemo. I loved working with the ladies and volunteers!
Very lovely atmosphere to work in and the staff
CANCER CONTROL OUTREACH SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Wilton, CTMay 6, 2014
Pros: we always had different events to attend
Cons: sometimes it could get a little over whelming
My work day was great because it always was different jobs to do, it was never the same which made it interesting, and I learned how to deal with people going through cancer, the management was great and also the co-workders. The hardest part was seeing how people dealt with having the sickness but the enjoyabe part was seeing them leave the office – more... feeling better than when they came in. – less
Productive, rewarding,interesting and fun
Gala Event Coordinator (Former Employee), long beach, CaliforniaMay 5, 2014
I would recommend anyone to be a part of this organization. While with them , we raised money ,through difference types of events. The main focus of the year would be acquiring donations from local merchants , to be auctioned at the gala. Also securing past monetary donations. Then helping with the logistics of the grand gala of the year.
Wonderful Cause to Work for but definite passion needed to succeed
Specialist, Relay For Life (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 5, 2014
As often happens with non-profits, you work a lot of hours for little pay. However, it's a great cause and they are excellent stewards of their money.
Great place
Marketing (Current Employee), MAMay 3, 2014
Good mission, good management. If you can handle a heavy workload due to to understaffing, you'd enjoy working here.
Terrible place to work
Community Representative (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours; poor management
High turnover rate
Poor management
Long work hours
No cultural diversity
Enjoyed traveling the southern part of Arizona to worksites and educating about healthy lifestyles
Spanish Program Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 26, 2014
Pros: enjoyed traveling and meeting people
Cons: was away from home alot
I enjoyed traveling to different areas of the state and offer the education programs to worksites for their employees. I enjoyed building relationships and educating. The hardest part of the job was that I was away from home a lot, but I also enjoyed the traveling part of it.
Office Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: job security/advancement
An overall great place to work. However, job security/advancement was lacking.
Fulfilling job with great benefits
Patient Service Center (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 20, 2014
The culture is great and everyone is friendly. The benefits and PTO allotment is very generous. This is the sort of job you take on for the passion, not the money.
Rewarding workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYApril 18, 2014
Pros: networking
Cons: no pay increase after three years
I was in charge of all administrative actions. I would handle every clients application, give information to entertainment companies and provide support to the clients when needed. The program I specifically worked with was Camp Adventure, an oncology camp for pediatric oncology patients and their siblings. There was a one to one ratio of volunteer – more... to child.
I learned a great deal from this position. This job helped influence me to pursue my Master's in Social Welfare. I will have this degree by May 2015.
The hardest part of the job was occasionally coping with the death of a child and helping with their funeral arrangements. I was able to manage all administrative objectives.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the children and volunteers. It was a very unique and special population to be apart of. I will continue to volunteer and will be using the camp as my field work to obtain my Master's in the upcoming summer under new management of Motivational Recovery Environments. – less
Friendly Enviroment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Visalia, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: got work experience.
Cons: none that i can think of.
On the days i would volunteer i'd go in and do whatever job the manager had for me and when each task was completed i got another. I was able to learn about basic customer service and how to use the register. The manager was very friendly and was reasonable if you needed to leave early. Everyone was very nice to each other and always got along. The – more... job was not hard to do, it was really easy. the most enjoyable part was going through the donations and seeing what cool things people donate. – less
Very nice atmosphere. Great cause!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLApril 7, 2014
We help many people with great programs offered. Relay For Life and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer are the events that I support.

About American Cancer Society

The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as – Read more

American Cancer Society Photos