American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Ok job
Patient Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, txJuly 13, 2017
Enjoy working for ACS for the most part. Work from home options are nice, but job becomes very monotonous. Little room for growth. Salary increases are low and rare.
Temporary position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coudersport, PAJuly 10, 2017
This was a temporary position filling in for an employee that broke her leg. This was a very rewarding position working with cancer patients helping them get wigs, travel pay, teaching women how to wear head pieces and put make up on to make themselves feel better. It was a nice place to work.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
only temporary.
Excellent place to work!
Service Delivery Coordination Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2017
Great place to work! Relaxed atmosphere and dress code. I've really enjoyed going to work each day and knowing that I make a difference. I love working at ACS.
Cool
Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAJuly 9, 2017
Working for the American Cancer Society has taught me a lot of things about community out reach and working with others. It is a lot of work to put together an event, but it is all worth it in the end.
Working towards a common cause
Income Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 7, 2017
I loved the idea that raising money for the America Cancer Society would really make a difference to those suffering from cancer. Some times it felt as if things were a bit buracratic, but I had a wonderful manager.
Pros
Great casue
Cons
Over extended at times
Good place to work and very organized
Participant and Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 5, 2017
The society is a great place to work as everyone there is there for a purpose and has a great passion for helping those with cancer, who had or have passed from cancer.
Can help people better
Hispanic / Latino Outreach Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 2, 2017
Their shift their focus and money is the main goal over programs.
Don't have a diversity culture in place at least in Delaware when I was there.But was a fun team.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Push the monie issue all the time
Great mission, hard to find work/life balance
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAJuly 2, 2017
The American Cancer Society is an organization with a great mission that all employees truly stand behind and are passionate about. They are working hard to ensure that the greatest % of dollars raised are put to the mission.
They do promote work/life balance. Unfortunately, the nature of the job makes it hard to actually find that balance. Staff is typically overworked and underpaid. Opportunities for advancement are few and far between which is surprising with a national organization.
Pros
great mission
Cons
overworked, underpaid, not many opportunities for advancement
ok place to work
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2017
If you want to work to save lives,and play a part to defeat cancer,then this is the place to be. Great for people whoo can raise money,and have leadership skills.
Fun workplace
Intern- Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NY 11415June 29, 2017
The staff makes you feel at home. They are very much in the field to help the clients. They provide their clients with resources and assist with their care.
Don't do it, unless it is only a job for the interim.
Patient Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 28, 2017
Lots of nice people and a good mission, but too top heavy, pay is too low, and they talk up the benefits which are actually not that great - and they are taking them away, little by little.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low pay
No Work/Life Balance
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Central FloridaJune 28, 2017
While the mission of ACS is amazing and something to really believe in.....employees are treated poorly. It is all about the bottom line figure, and there is no encouragement or kudos for achieving non-monetary goals. You are expected to work when your volunteers/accounts can, meaning a lot of late nights and weekends.
Pros
Pto, not stuck in an office.
Cons
No work/life balance, poor management, the Society is ALWAYS changing internally.
great company trying to find a cure for cancer
Community Manager, Relay For Life (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYJune 27, 2017
I enjoyed my job until I learned money was more important than the people. I enjoyed meeting survivors and working with the community to help fund the mission. The hardest part for me was asking for donations before making a connection with the company or the person.
Pros
meeting new people and working as a team
Cons
greed
Work 7.5 hour days
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2017
If you get in as a Cancer Information Specialist and put in yrs, you can move up. If you are an Administrative Assistant, you will leave as an Administrative Assistant. The benefits are excellent! I had the freedom to upgrade procedures and take on extra duties. I ran one of the centers and was a great job for me. I supported the Director, Supervisors of different teams and departments, and kept the building maintained. I did everything from time sheets, to calling vendors to repair/replace non working items.
Pros
7.5 hour work days, Can pick up extra work to fill your day
Cons
Hit or miss on having an excellent boss. I had 3 really bad ones, and 3 really great ones.
Good Experience for short amount of time
Internship (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 22, 2017
I only work 1 or 2 days a week 2-3 hours day.
Work environment was pleasant
Management was very helpful. I learned a lot from management. Everyone was nice and easy to get along with.
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJune 22, 2017
I was a volunteer for their Relay for Life fundraiser. It was a 24 hour event that consisted of walking around a high school track. People would donate money based off of how many laps you walked. Everyone there was very encouraging and upbeat.
Run as far away as you can
Senior Director, Community Engagement (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2017
They depend too much on events and haven't kept up with fundraising trends over the years. Constant restructuring has led to so many job losses and people are never secure. Micro managed by people that don't know what it is like to work in the field.
Cons
They don't have a long term strategic plan. Restructure every two years.
freedom to work your own way
Road to Recovery Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 19, 2017
Enjoyed the freedom of mainly working independently & able to come up with my own ideas.. The ability to go to various places, trying to recruit volunteers to help participate in such a noble program.. Enjoyed the vast amount of working with the public..
Pros
freedom, comimg up with ideas, working with the public, great program
Cons
was only meant to be a temporary position, did not feel welcomed by the other employees
Volunteer Driver
Volunteer Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2017
Provides an opportunity to help people who are in a critical point of their lives, which heavily depends on their ability to stay on top of their chemotherapy sections.
Pros
Help people in need
Used to be a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 19, 2017
Continual reorg of company leads to major downsizing of employees and terrible moral. Executive management are WAY over paid and the donor dollars are spent frivolously. Work/life balance is non-existent for field employees and they are grossly underpaid for what is expected of them.
Pros
n/a
Cons
too many to list