American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Employer Reviews

Regular
Desktop Technician\Asset Management (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2014
You would walk in and fix problems everyday. Different problems so it would be something different for you to learn and gain experience.
Nice place to work, does important research in the field of cancer
Research Analyst - Tobacco Cessation (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: benefits, vacation time
Cons: salary, no upward mobility
Enjoy working here, the benefits are good, we just don't get paid enough. I get to do very interesting, valuable research that will help to advance the scientific field.
My Co-Workers
Advocacy Director (Former Employee), Amherst, NYFebruary 12, 2014
My co-workers were very helpful in recruiting advocates through their events and community programs increasing public awareness about the dangers of tobacco.
Great People to work/volunteer with
Event Planner (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: short term employment
Wonderful group of individuals to work with. Very knowledgeable group of women regarding cancer information.
Progressive company
Business Content / Reporting Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 7, 2014
The American Cancer Society is the perfect combination of a mission driven non-profit coupled with the structure of a well structured corporate environment.
Very warm and friendly environment. Makes all guest comfortable and very much welcome!
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee), memphis, tnFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day at work for me is a breeze,because I enjoy what I do. In this environment, I learned to be respectful and kind, as well as, to maintain a professional deameanor when interacting with guests.
My co- workers are very reliable, as well as, other staff members!
There is no hard part to the American Cancer Society! I enjoy donating my time, – more... help and offering my best advise to all guest, as well as, putting a smile on their faces – less
Dishonest
Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 5, 2014
Cons: dishonest
Not straightforward with employees. Favoritism among certain co-workers. Require you to volunteer for organization, even though they tell you it's not required. Their term is "strongly recommended" that you volunteer and raise money.
Productive and work towards a great cause
Manager of Special Events, Income Development (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2014
Working at the American Cancer Society had been a great experience. ACS is a great organization fully focused on its mission. The employees and volunteer are hardworking, caring and professional people. Overall a great place to work.
Very Unorganized and Old Fashioned
Event Manager (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDFebruary 3, 2014
Working for this organization was very uneventful. The pay was incredibly low and all of the employees were well over 50 years old. This made it very difficult to accomplish many tasks.
great way to meet new people
Volunteer (Current Employee), RiversideFebruary 3, 2014
great way to help cancer victims and families, raise money for research to find a cure.
Relay For Life planner
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Sonoma, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Cons: too many hours, very little pay. extremely stressful work environment. no work life balance.
I went to work for this non profit thinking I had found the job I would retire from. Instead I found that the culture is completely wrong. They misuse donor dollars that is border line illegal. The employees are entirely overworked with very little pay. Pay raises are promised but never received. Just recently they laid off all employees and changed – more... job titles. In order for people to stay they had to reapply for their jobs, with many of them losing them all together. ACS was able to get out from paying for pensions by doing this. For a single person you have to pay hundreds of dollars each month in order to have health insurance through them. Through all of their campaigning they promote good health to prevent cancer, but interestingly enough at all of their many required employee meetings held on weekends the only snacks they provide are candy and chips. Over half the employees are overweight. Volunteers are allowed to treat employees any way they choose. ACS will not fire a volunteer even if they have been abusive to an employee. In short I would highly recommend not working or applying for this agency. It is a very unhealthy environment to work in. The turn over is astronomical!!! – less
Pleasant Work Place
Customer Service Representative Recruiter (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: free lunches and always had snacks from patients
Excellent company to work for. Pleasure to be around all the employees. Very fast pace.
great job
Administrative Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: holidays off.
Cons: n/a
Nice place to work, Friendly environment! Nice caring visitors.
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2014
For 100 years, the American Cancer Society (ACS) has worked relentlessly to save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. Together with millions of our supporters worldwide, we help people stay well, help people get well, find cures, and fight back against cancer.
Great Mission and dedicated and caring volunteers are great to work with
Mission Delivery and Community Engagement (Former Employee), West Coast FloridaJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: somewhat flexible
Cons: long hours and many evenings and weekends
Lots of hours need to be invested to succeed which makes the job difficult and demanding but more rewarding.
No work/life balance
Community Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: giving hope to people going through the fight.
Cons: work-life balance and low pay.
Good company with high turnover and low rate of pay.
Passionate work.
A Day at ACS
Cancer Information Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: excellent vacation, health care
Cons: call center
The day is never typical, it is both difficult and at times very robotic, but that is a call center. It is a good group of people, I have never felt more supported in a job then at ACS. The Peer coaches, Supervisors and willing to bend over backwards to help you at any point. I have learned that to focus on the bigger picture and to help those that – more... you can, help your peers as much as you can and to always know that you are saving lives, families and making each day a better day for the people we talk to, this is what I have learned.
This job is not for everyone, it is hard, but it is worth all of the heart ache, and hours spent researching cancer. – less
Rewarding work with patients and volunteers but high stress and long hours
Executive Park Bldg (Former Employee), Asheville, NCJanuary 13, 2014
multitasking between managing volunteers, brainstorming fundraising and adhering to multiple short deadlines
A non-profit rich in promises and rewards for persons affected by cancer as a disease.
Community Specialist/Cancer Control (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 10, 2014
I worked with the ACS for 21 years and gained a wealth of knowledge to move on in the arena of Community Health Education.
Fun and fulfillng work enviroment
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, Recruiter (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 8, 2014
Very passionate, fulfilling ,fun work environment. Enjoyed cultivating relationships with companies and individuals to join in the fight against breast cancer.

About American Cancer Society

The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as – Read more

American Cancer Society Photos