American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Friendly environment to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 18, 2016
Flexible working hours, low work-load. Co-workers are friendly. The job duty is to do the basic office work like printing, data entry, paper cutting.
Volunteering with my Friends
Committee - Accounting Chair (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 18, 2016
This is an all volunteer commitee. Majority of our committee are either alumni's or Navy Cadet/Airman. We learn from the previous year of relay, what worked and what didn't. Putting our minds together as a collective to come up with some great ideas for the events and network within our community with donations either with their services or other means.
Hardest part of this, is that seeing a child who has cancer walking our survivor lap and watching the luminaria. Knowing that the we are doing this for the survivors in our town and helping them, listening to their stories and be there for them is the most blessed feeling.
Even though I live in Colorado, each year I go back to help the committee on anything they may need. From food to materials for the artwork.
Pros
Cons
celebrate another birthday
the job was a great experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 14, 2016
a typical day at work was a roller coaster, interacting with great people. The managers were reasonable and made the job tasks very straight forward. I learned how to deal with different types of customers from rude to nice. There was no hard part of the job. The job was all around enjoyable.
Pros
learning to work with different people and be social
Cons
not enough hours
Great organization to volunteer with that works in your commnity!
Relay for Life Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXJuly 14, 2016
Share your talents and learn new skills while you grow personally. This event is annual so you must be ready to train volunteers every year. You must be a go getter and ready to think in many directions but focus on the goal.
Pros
Meet people with your same passion
No work Life Balance
Relay for Life Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 12, 2016
There is little work/life balance within this company. Fundraising is a difficult part of the job because your success funds other positions.
Good Working Environment
Legal Extern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at ACS. I had good colleagues and supervisors. The workload was reasonable, and the type of work was interesting.
Great mission, evolving organization,
Senior Director Mission Delivery (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 4, 2016
Working for ACS is rewarding. The organization has loyal supporters. Advancement path in the current organization structure is often not clear.
Pros
Great volunteers and staff
Cons
Transformation of organization is ongoing
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAJune 29, 2016
Great job to network and be passionate about. Difficult in managing time and amount of hours worked. Staff is amazing and the highlight of working with the organization.
Think twice! Sweet looking on outside but sour surprises on the inside.
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 25, 2016
Think long and hard before accepting a position here. Community Development jobs here have high turnover for several reasons. ACS total revenue from fundraising has shown a steady decline since 2008. 5-10% a year for the organization as a whole. If you are inheriting an area with events that are not growing each year don't think you can turn them around. Ideas for changes are not met with positive reception and can easily be considered attitude issues by your manager. They do not seem to be willing to understand the market needs and adjust. Sad state for an organization that was so well respected at one time.
Pros
Some nice people.
Cons
Maintaining management jobs at the cost of moving the organization forward.
Wonderful organization
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 23, 2016
Wonderful organization to work for in the fight against cancer. Not a lot of room to move up as new positions do not open often. Lots of travel and a lot of focus on income raised.
Pros
Wonderful and caring organization
Cons
Lots of travel and focus on income raised
Great volunteer experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 23, 2016
I only worked the summer and as a volunteer but it was actually very good work experience and I became a lot more comfortable doing clerical work.
Pros
Very flexible schedule
good foundation
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, KYJune 23, 2016
I was not employed by this agency; did raise money for the American cancer society through relay for life teams several years in a row
Top Notch Non Profit
Senior Director, Corporate Relations (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 18, 2016
Great place to work for something you believe in! Opportunity for growth with ability to try new opportunities. A good company to grow your network and develop relationships with people in the community and business industries.
Not a good place to work
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2016
Not a good place to work. No room for advancement and the management is horrible because most have no experience being a manager.
Not good
Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 13, 2016
I didn't like it, no way to move up, management are mean, and you have to split your day into 2 because they are closed for a few hours in the middle of the day. No benefits.
Long hours, lots of travel
Community Development Director (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 7, 2016
Working for ACS was a great experience! I learned a lot about working on events and leading volunteers.

I way under-estimated the time of traveling to the 3 counties I represented. Going to meetings and events and being with my volunteers and taking the time to do a great job to build relationships so that my job was easier the next event meant less time with family.
My home county was not one of my three counties so having my family involved with my work was difficult.
Pros
Fun meeting new people and going new places.
Cons
Away from home too much.
Important work but the job takes over your life
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJune 2, 2016
I really enjoyed the work I was doing and getting to be a part of something as big as finding a cure for cancer. However, this job ruled my life, i was always emailing, calling, driving and wouldn't get home until 11pm some nights. Managers are long distance and so you have no real support system.
High energy job
Regional Administrative Assistant Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 1, 2016
No advancement if you do not have a degree.

Did not feel the donor dollars are used in useful way to help people dealing with cancer.
Pros
High energy job, the volunteers are wonderful and benefits are excellent
Cons
No job advancement
Warming environment
Fixed Asset Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2016
The atmosphere is very welcoming. Everyone works well together. Deadlines are constantly met. No one brings the other down, yet figure out ways to help them be better.
The mission is incredible, the volunteers are passionate and some of the staff are amazing
Vice President, Global Partnerships and Planning (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2016
ACS is going through major organizational/leadership changes. The organization is also struggling to attract funding. Once it gets more stable it will be an incredible place to work and make a difference in advancing the fight against cancer. There are some incredibly talented staff and committed volunteers who are committed to serving and advancing it's cancer-fighting mission.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible work schedule, convenient to public transportation
Cons
Too much bureaucracy, too many new people who don't know enough about the history of the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

American Cancer Society Reviews by Location