American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Employer Reviews

Rewarding and encouraging environment helping and supporting cancer patients in need
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: team building activities, ability to travel
Cons: having to pay for parking when going to work
My general work day consisted of speaking with cancer patients and their families regarding various needs from transportation to treatment to assistance with obtaining food. I also wrote training manuals and facilitated training classes for new and current staff. Along with my general duties, I was responsible for ordering office supplies while adhering – more... to a small budget as well as maintaining office equipment. While working at the American Cancer Society, I learned that I could do more than I thought I could do. This job gave the me the chance to discover skills that I did not know I had. It taught me to not limit myself and to go beyond the call of duty. My co-workers were a great group of people. We all got along very well and helped each other with whatever was needed. The hardest part of my job was discovering that one of the patients that I had assisted passed away. It was very sobering but it also made me want to do more to help those that were still alive to fight to see another day. The most enjoyable part of my job was just knowing that each day I helped someone make it to treatment or to get food and even clothes. I enjoy helping people and that was the most rewarding part of my job. – less
volunteer
Volunteer Executive committee (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLMarch 21, 2014
Pros: meeting survivors, and all the ladies and men who are fundraising
Cons: trying to raise money!
Wonderful group of people, it was my pleasure to be involved and get to know all the fabulous people invloved
Great job for individuals who like to achieve goals and meet amazing volunteers
Community Representative (Former Employee), Lutz, FLMarch 19, 2014
Pros: great benefits and lasting relationships established
Cons: hours expected to work to achieve goal leaves little time for homelife.
Work with amazing dedicated individuals who support the mission of the American Cancer Society. Best part of the job is the volunteer relationships established. You will never work with a better team. Work life balance is what you make it...time management is key.
Good internship to have as my first one.
Communications/Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
Received basic knowledge and skills useful to Marketing/Communications. Great starter internship for me.
productive and fun place
Call center fundraiser (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 17, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: not enough hours
I call people who are generous enough to donate to the American cancer society and ask them if they want to donate or not and thank them for their time. It is a very well setting with nice people
Cause driven work
Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 12, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, flexibility
Cons: work/life balance
Working for the American Cancer Society was a job driven by a passion for the cause. Getting to work for the community and with the team at ACS was a definite perk. The biggest drawback was the lack of work/life balance. Despite the job offering flexibility with time, work/life balance was a struggle.
Productive and Caring people to work with.
Team Recruitor (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMarch 10, 2014
Pros: food after events, cards to say job well done, gifts such as pens, cups, candy
I was able to learn hands on Excel Spreadsheet, multiline phone, Facts about Cancer that I didn't know prior to job. Great place to work everyone was so Great!
American Cancer Society
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbus, GAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: love the environment and the different people i get to meet, and help make a difference in their lives
Cons: no healthcare
accounting, batching, organizing materials for 8 different counties and 3 separate events, assisting with Look Good Feel Better Program, Distributing wigs, bras, and any needed materials to cancer patients, assisting in accounting at events
Very positive, nonjudgemental environment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 3, 2014
Pros: very nice people, good cause
The organization has a very upbeat and positive attitude, despite many of the volunteers having personal losses from cancer. Working hard is easy there because everyone knows what they're doing is for such an important cause. Every age group interacts with one another without judgement, and at the end of the day you go home feeling accomplished and – more... hopeful for the future. – less
Regular
Desktop Technician\Asset Management (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2014
You would walk in and fix problems everyday. Different problems so it would be something different for you to learn and gain experience.
Nice place to work, does important research in the field of cancer
Research Analyst - Tobacco Cessation (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: benefits, vacation time
Cons: salary, no upward mobility
Enjoy working here, the benefits are good, we just don't get paid enough. I get to do very interesting, valuable research that will help to advance the scientific field.
My Co-Workers
Advocacy Director (Former Employee), Amherst, NYFebruary 12, 2014
My co-workers were very helpful in recruiting advocates through their events and community programs increasing public awareness about the dangers of tobacco.
Great People to work/volunteer with
Event Planner (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: short term employment
Wonderful group of individuals to work with. Very knowledgeable group of women regarding cancer information.
Progressive company
Business Content / Reporting Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 7, 2014
The American Cancer Society is the perfect combination of a mission driven non-profit coupled with the structure of a well structured corporate environment.
Very warm and friendly environment. Makes all guest comfortable and very much welcome!
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee), memphis, tnFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day at work for me is a breeze,because I enjoy what I do. In this environment, I learned to be respectful and kind, as well as, to maintain a professional deameanor when interacting with guests.
My co- workers are very reliable, as well as, other staff members!
There is no hard part to the American Cancer Society! I enjoy donating my time, – more... help and offering my best advise to all guest, as well as, putting a smile on their faces – less
Dishonest
Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 5, 2014
Cons: dishonest
Not straightforward with employees. Favoritism among certain co-workers. Require you to volunteer for organization, even though they tell you it's not required. Their term is "strongly recommended" that you volunteer and raise money.
Productive and work towards a great cause
Manager of Special Events, Income Development (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2014
Working at the American Cancer Society had been a great experience. ACS is a great organization fully focused on its mission. The employees and volunteer are hardworking, caring and professional people. Overall a great place to work.
Very Unorganized and Old Fashioned
Event Manager (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDFebruary 3, 2014
Working for this organization was very uneventful. The pay was incredibly low and all of the employees were well over 50 years old. This made it very difficult to accomplish many tasks.
great way to meet new people
Volunteer (Current Employee), RiversideFebruary 3, 2014
great way to help cancer victims and families, raise money for research to find a cure.
Relay For Life planner
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Sonoma, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Cons: too many hours, very little pay. extremely stressful work environment. no work life balance.
I went to work for this non profit thinking I had found the job I would retire from. Instead I found that the culture is completely wrong. They misuse donor dollars that is border line illegal. The employees are entirely overworked with very little pay. Pay raises are promised but never received. Just recently they laid off all employees and changed – more... job titles. In order for people to stay they had to reapply for their jobs, with many of them losing them all together. ACS was able to get out from paying for pensions by doing this. For a single person you have to pay hundreds of dollars each month in order to have health insurance through them. Through all of their campaigning they promote good health to prevent cancer, but interestingly enough at all of their many required employee meetings held on weekends the only snacks they provide are candy and chips. Over half the employees are overweight. Volunteers are allowed to treat employees any way they choose. ACS will not fire a volunteer even if they have been abusive to an employee. In short I would highly recommend not working or applying for this agency. It is a very unhealthy environment to work in. The turn over is astronomical!!! – less

About American Cancer Society

The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as – Read more

American Cancer Society Photos