American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society United States Employee Reviews

The great cause and good people make up for the invasive micromanagement and boredom of working in a call center.
MSABC Recruiter (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIAugust 5, 2014
Pros: decent pay, great cause, great experience
Cons: short breaks, at times invasive monitoring, and poor communication.
As far as working in a call center goes, it is actually not too bad. You're working for a great cause and people are generally receptive to what you have to say. It is great experience for those fresh out of school and want a job for the summer. The management really struggles to communicate effectively at times, but overall it is a very good job. Keep in mind they do monitor your calls as well as every email and instant message you send. The people you work with are really nice so it kind of balances out.
Great Place to Work
Office Assistant/Assistant Event Coordinator (Former Employee), North Brunswick, NJJuly 30, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: this position was temporarypostion
This was a great place to work the job itself was very rewarding you work and support a good cause.
Worked as Data Clerk inputing info from patient navigators, the patients and more. Also processed special events.
Data Services Clerk (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2014
Pros: fighting cancer @ was my longest job ever.
Cons: was phased out and moved out of state.
It was a beneficial job because I was in a job that helped to fight the terrible disease of Cancer. Learned several new jobs as the job was constantly changing. Had a very understanding and patient boss and they understood situations that came upon me.
Different Branches might be better
Event Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: company goals, pay
Cons: management
Although the American Cancer Society is a great company to work for with extremely great goals and events I found my director managers to be completely incompetent. One of my managers actually told a group of us temporary employees that we were "Lucky to have jobs" as a motivational tool.
Recruiter
Recruiter (Current Employee), White Plains, NYJuly 16, 2014
Feels good to know you are helping people.
Pay is decent
People are great
Wonderful company
Intern (Former Employee), PAJuly 14, 2014
Great company to work for. Really was a fulfilling job especially at the end of the year track event.
Job that truly feeds your soul
Event Support (Current Employee), Springfield, MOJuly 14, 2014
Pros: lots of great people, good food and fun events
Cons: might work a lot of overtime and nights and weekends are a must
Its amazing to go to work every day and know that you are making a difference. The people you work with are amazing, and they really try to balance work/family life.
Healthcare professional
Patient Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 13, 2014
Healthcare professional with over seven years of experience in the medical field, seeking to transition relevant skills into a training and development role. Skilled at working across-departments and honing skills in administration, organization, and customer service. Recognized ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse clients and staff members. Excellent analytical and leadership skills combined with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast-pace environment under minimal supervision.
Productive Workplace
Call Center Representative, Charitable Funds (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 9, 2014
A typical day consisted of placing calls to previous donators and asking for further assistance in fund raising. The best part of the job was knowing that the donations were for a great cause.
Working for a national non-profit
Community Representative of Distinguished Events (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2014
It was difficult to work for such a large firm. I have always worked for smaller ones in the past. They had what was called "transformation" which means that many jobs were lost. I was not a fan at all of the work environment.
Great Company
Relay For Life Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2014
Great Company to work for. Great work life balance as well as mission
Great place to work with fantastic benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Tampa, FloridaJuly 5, 2014
Great place to work! typical day at work very pleasant. hardest part lately has been the transformation the organization has experienced.
Might be an OK place to work in time
Director, Special Events (Former Employee), NYJune 26, 2014
Pros: working with highly dedicated volunteers. benefits are great!
Cons: low morale, high expectations, no acknowledgements, lack of direction
I worked there for 6-7 years before the Nationwide Transformation started. I hope they will be able to get straightened out with all of the staff changes and hiring of new, inexperienced people in order to save money. Morale was never high, and people tended to feel unappreciated and overworked. I can only imagine how bad it is now with less staff. Those who stayed on in these newly developed positions don't even know what they're doing, or what they're supposed to do. ACS reorganized in an attempt to get rid of too much upper management, yet they are now siloed with just as many highly paid upper management. It was a great cause to work for, with lots of great, highly dedicated volunteers, but I'm happy to be out.
Wonderful mission. Management training offered and supported
Sr. Manager, Relay For Life (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Powerful mission
Passionate volunteers
Flexibility offered to promote work life balance
Great team enviroment
Great place to volunteer!
Volunteer (Current Employee), HarrisonburgJune 20, 2014
Friendly working environment, guidelines and expectations very clear.
A fun environment working with a team of like-minded individuals
Event Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Sacramento, CaliforniaJune 19, 2014
Pros: excellent managment, great teamwork, decent pay, good location
Cons: no benefits, long hours cold calling
At the American Cancer Society, I learned how to be persistent and patient when doing community outreach. I also learned how to work in a group environment, as myself and 5 other people (under the supervision of our event manager) organized an event every October with more than 10,000 participants. The hardest part of this job was staying positive while doing 7.5 hours of cold-calling 5 days a week. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers to put on the event, and also having the opportunity to direct participants to our patient services.
Great Internship
Team Development/Operations Intern (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLJune 19, 2014
Availably internship opportunities. Non-profit organization that encourages participation in breast cancer awareness! Active events monthly to attend.
Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Tyler, TXJune 18, 2014
Pros: health insurance, time off, flexible co-workers
I recently found out that I am being laid off. I absolutely loved my job, my co-workers and my benefits.

The hardest part of my job was lack of structure amongst managers.
Relaxed work environment, nice management, challenging work load
Patient Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 16, 2014
Pros: work culture, flexible scheduling, good benefits package
Cons: low pay, work load
A typical day at work in the PRS role includes fulfilling service requests for patient programs & providing information on services such as transportation, lodging, support services. You're assigned a certain amount of new cases per day but still have ongoing cases that can span for days or months for patients whose needs cannot be met in one phone call, such as transportation for ongoing medical appointments. The work load & volume of requests can be challenging at times, meeting the needs of patients with ongoing requests while fulfilling new requests for service. Nevertheless, my co-workers are some of the most helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, innovative people I've had the privilege to work with, & they truly do make working there a great experience. Management is also great, they're very supportive & always have your back, but at times (like most companies, I'd think) the ones making certain decisions aren't the ones doing the ground level work & sometimes aren't aware of how the front end employees may be affected. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a high work load/volume of requests as & still being expected to capture certain information or data, as well as the type of requests; part of the PRS function is to help uninsured patients obtain access to care/recommended cancer treatments, which can be difficult & time consuming, not to mention the limited training given for such a complex need & that that type of work should warrant more pay/compensation. Another challenge is the structure of the organization; many of the local offices & patients are having problems – more... accepting the fact that the national call center is now handling certain functions that were previously handled locally, & at times there are a cross in functions (local & national office handling the same need) which can confuse the patients & frustrate employees. The restructuring is in its final stages, so things are continuing to change, which is another challenge. I've learned how to interact with chronically ill patients & have strengthened my skills in social services & assisting patients with their needs. Even if we do not have a program or referral to offer for a specific need, part of being a PRS means being innovative & sharing options with the patient that they never thought to explore. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing from a patient that you've helped them or alleviated a bit of stress – less
Great Place to Work
TSC (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJune 8, 2014
Great cause. Great culture. Dedicated managment and staff.

About American Cancer Society

The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as – Read more

American Cancer Society Salaries

$30,000 per year
Special Events Intern
$58,000 per year

American Cancer Society Photos

Home Depot participating in this years event, they're looking to become a future sponsor.
Survivor Reception at Relay For Life of University of Akron