American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

providing lodging for cancer patients
Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIApril 2, 2017
Hope Lodge has been a treasure to many cancer patients that need to stay in the area for cancer treatment. Providing free lodging, cancer patients and families have not worried about more expenses.
Fun place to generate Income at the fundraising events
Administrative Assistant Accounting (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 30, 2017
Learned to manage a Thrift Shop; responsible for the bookkeeping. Did fundraising and had measure of goals which would increase your salary by 3% or more.
Pros
Events
Cons
Administration
boring work with good pay
Patient Services Associate II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 30, 2017
the work environment is somewhat 'un-inspiring' due to the data entry part was so boring. My direct manager was awesome; upper level management are not committed to the employees. Most difficult part of the job was the boredom of data entry. Most enjoyable part - feeling gratified for the services the organization provided to the patients
Pros
early shift option
Cons
not an employee friendly environment
Really enjoyed working here
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 29, 2017
The work is tough as you are regularly hearing of the crises in the lives of cancer patients and their families, but it is nice when you are able to help someone. The hours are flexible, the management teams are wonderful, and my colleagues were great. I worked here during grad school and they always quickly accommodated my new schedules.
Pros
flexible hours, wonderful colleagues
Cons
lack of resources, pay
Great place to work.
Tobacco Use Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMarch 29, 2017
Working with the American Cancer gave me the opportunity to network with a lot of people.I was able to meet with cancer survivors and family members of victims. We all learned how to express awareness and prevention all over the state of Georgia.
Nice people
Event Support (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2017
Wonderful charityand a great atmosphere. Everyone is nice and professional. The events are wonderful and everything is organized and runs smoothly. Great volunteers and donors.
voluntier
administrative support (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 27, 2017
It is great place to voluntier. It was a very fullfillment position , where you know you are making a difference. very proud of this organization and all its goals
Great Place to Work
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 24, 2017
This was my favorite place to work. Challenging yet very giving overall. Getting into communities and creating a team to raise money is a great feeling and when you get to see those funds help a local family, you cannot find that anywhere else.
Flexible
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMarch 24, 2017
Good people easy pace easy training, they were cutting back on jobs so not many available. Not much room for moving up . Hopefully they will do better and help people which was why I was there.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Not enough position
Meaningful place to work; respectful of work-life balance needs
Director (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 22, 2017
The American Cancer Society is a great place to work. It has tremendous respect for work-life balance and there are often opportunities for advancement -- sometimes quickly. Turnover is a bit high, but it's a great opportunity to learn a lot of skills and put your skills to use for the greater good -- fighting cancer.

Want to know more about American Cancer Society?

Ask a question
Employment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 22, 2017
I enjoy assisting cancer patients with what ever their need is , scheduling their wig appointment,, to providing them with resources within the community.
Pros
once the cancer patience are pleased with a wig of their choice .
Cons
when we are unable to provide the cancer patients with the services they need
Great company to work for
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 15, 2017
Love what the company stands for just very hard to balance work/life with crazy work hours. Ultimately had to put being a mom before the job however I loved the experience I was given and do not regret the years I was there.
great mission but other things not so much
Lead guitarist, arrangement and composition (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2017
If you are an incredibly empathetic person dont work here. Also the management is awful, they make terrible decisions, and a lot of the stuff you are critiqued on is purely subjective.
Pros
LIVING WAGE!!! benefits
Cons
disastrously bad management
Productive, fun working Enviroment
Community Cancer Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCMarch 5, 2017
Great Management.
Very good training and mentoring program.
Enjoyed educating the community about prevention, and detection of cancer. It was a very rewarding career. Clients, Volunteers, and people that I worked with were awesome.
Pros
Very Rewarding Career
Supportive
Receptionist (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAFebruary 28, 2017
I was a volunteer receptionist. I had a supportive supervisor. Everyone was passionate about serving clients with cancer and offering the best support. It was a privilege to volunteer there.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Respect for needs and breaks
Fantastic Organization! Great People! Rewarding Work!
Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2017
Wonderful work environment.Things are very organized. Procedures are clear, so you know what is expected of you. Management genuinely cares about the employees.The people who work there are amazing, caring, and dedicated to the mission. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Achievements are recognized and celebrated. Lots of incentives and perks. Benefits are amazing. Plenty of room for advancement if you work diligently. This company really cares. The only down side is the salary. If they had paid more, I would have stayed there forever. Great place to work for someone who wants to gain experience in the working world and build their resume or for someone who loves the cancer cause and isn't worried about making a lot of money.
Pros
Employees Treated Well, Great Work Environment, Great People, Benefits, Growth Opportunites, Room to Advance
Cons
Salary
A great summer camp
Program Director, Camp Goodtimes (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2017
This position was volunteer. It was year-round, and full time.

The ACS cut funding to it's summer camps nationwide, so it is now privately funded. I still volunteer.
Educational, Motivational, & Hardworking
Sale Associate/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day at work involved steaming new inventory, unpacking boxes, tagging clothing, and putting them on to racks for available purchase. Other duties included organizing, cleaning, helping customers, and managing the cash register. Everything in a typical day at work at this organization taught me what it means to work in retail and how much I enjoy it.
Pros
Great Customer Serivce
Great Mission
Strategic Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2017
Much passion around the mission.
Great work life balance.
Starting to talk about turning the tide to where donations were years ago.
Culture is antiquated and governmental.
Great Place to Work!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRFebruary 20, 2017
I have the utmost respect and admiration for all the members of the ACS. They are great mentors, human beings and they love their work. The time I was there as a volunteer was one of the most rewarding experiences I ever felt in my life, it was an eye opener for me to understand the treasure of life and volunteering.
Pros
company culture
Cons
short bearks, fast paced enviorment