American Century Investments Employee Reviews

Simply the Best!
Information Center Associate | Email Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 25, 2017
My experience with ACI has led me to acknowledge that it's the best company I have ever worked for. Managers aimed to help their employees succeed and even helped them apply to other jobs within the company, as my managers did for me on two occasions. They actually care about you, and it's shown. ACI groomed its employees for promotions, management, and other responsibilities. Because ACI invested in their employees' career growth, employees felt motivated and passionate about their work. They are an ethical and fun investment management firm.
Pros
Positive work environment where everyone was respected and treated well, great benefits and PTO, better-than-average raises and annual bonuses, fun atmostphere, happy people, job cross-training opportunities, thorough and enjoyable training
Cons
None that I can think of!
great starter job- learned immensely
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
I've learned to juggle various tasks at once, which I enjoy. I enjoy being busy and working with little oversight from management.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low morale
Loved working with my fellow officers but managment does not have your back
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 3, 2017
Great benefits and plenty of hours to work OT. Was given pretty good raises and a bonus each year. Too bad upper management and HR doesn't have your back. They will fire you on hear say if someone says something bad about you. Management never works holidays or nights. You will be forced to stay over if someone is late.
Pros
A free meal every now and then
Cons
Bad management, upper managment plays favorites.
Productive place to work with ping pong, mini golf, dartboards and shuffleboard.
SAFETY AND SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 10, 2016
*Patrol the interior and exterior of American Century Investments property.
*Work the control center which consists of monitoring cameras, alarms, checking in and out access badges as well as answering the phone and exterior call boxes.
*Sit a front desks and greet and check in visitors.
*Hardest part of the job is the control center as you are the only one in there and you have to do many things at the same time.
*Most enjoyable for me is when I get to work on anything related to access control or investigating situations that a rise.
Great place to work,wonderful atmostphere, happy people
Senior Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 27, 2016
Being a Senior Meeting Planner there is no typical day.

I learned how to run investment forums. The rules and regulations that are put on investment companies.

I loved working for American Century. Everyone was always so happy to be there. The leaders/company treated everyone very well.

I also enjoyed my co-workers. Very upbeat and positive people.

The Fall of 2008 when the market turned and 500 of us were part of a reduction in force.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people.
Pros
Positive environment where everyone was respected and treated well.
Great Company, Great Experience
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 26, 2016
Of course ACI isn't perfect, but it's the best company I have ever worked for personally. The managers are more than willing to help you get promotions or apply to other jobs within the company or even willing to help you build your resume in general. They actually care about you and it's shown. The directors and VPs in charge of departments actually listen to the wants/needs of employees vs letting them fall to the side.
Pros
healthcare, great environment
Innovative and Fun Investment Company
Investment Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 20, 2015
American Century Investments is THE BEST investment company to work for. The company is tied to the greater humanitarian cause of finding cures for cancer and other genetically based diseases. To date, the company has donated up to $2billion for cancer research to the Stowers Institute For Cancer Research and BioMed Valley. Coworkers are friendly, there is generous paid time off and benefits packages, and career advancement is on the up side.
Pros
Generous work-life balance, benefits package, company culture.
Great company
Corporate Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  DenverNovember 17, 2015
Great company to work for, just no Denver jobs now. All call center work being handled in Kansas City headquarters. If you're willing to move there, a great company to work for with good benefits and awesome colleagues.
Pros
Great vision overall
Cons
No longer has Denver office
Relaxed, friendly corporate culture
SENIOR ESTATE TRANSFER CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 11, 2015
Great place to work with friendly colleagues for most part. Opportunities for advancement if you put in the effort and can play the politics like at any other company. Learned a great deal about asset management industry at American Century Investments.
Pros
Frequent free lunches, lots of relaxed dress days, engaged management, relaxed corporate culture for an asset management firm
Cons
Managers expect you to 'reach out and get to know them' before being considered for roles in area
Good place to work, doesn't pay real well. Benefits are pretty good.
IT Physical Security officer (Current Employee) –  KCMOJuly 23, 2015
Patrol interior and exterior of property.
Man reception desks.
Work control center, probably hardest part of job as you are by yourself answering the phone, checking in and out badges, monitoring cameras and alarms. Letting people in the garage entrances remotely among other things.
Great company, great people
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed my internship at American Century Investments. The people were great and I found my work challenging, but rewarding. I learned a lot over the summer and I would return full time if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Work environment, people, relatively good hours for the industry
Cons
Low turnover means few job openings
Investments and technology
Director of Network Services (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 30, 2015
I was responsible for the Network Services Team while at American Century. the technology needed to be refreshed, processes need to be put in place and cost models needed to be developed. This provided great opportunity to mature the team and our service offerings. The culture promoted employee growth and technical advancements. The hardest part of the job was implementing internal controls processes and getting the support all team members. The most enjoyable part of the job was implementing new technology, process development and individual growth.
Pros
IT opportunity
Cons
Controls
Great mission
Vice President - Sales Technology & Operations (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 24, 2014
Going through change; market performance has helped; question of culture with the passing of the Founder. Good people
This job was hectic especially in the mornings.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Here I learned to be flexible with my time. I had to be in the office at five o'clock in the morning when the companies were reporting their earnings and I needed to get the international information.
Great benefits - team outings & free lunches
Client Specialist Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 9, 2014
Processing requests on accounts, able to work on own. Learned alot about investing and the different type of investment accounts. Management was very busy with other projects. Co-workers are amazing, helpful and made the day go by fast. Hardest part of job is during tax season. Most enjoyable part of job was all the benefits they offer.
Pros
Benefits - health, vacation, time off for good performance
Friendly environment in a face paced market.
Client Service Representative (seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 21, 2014
Very friendly environment in a fast paced market.

Typical day includes working directly to completing investors financial requests or account maintenance. Problem resolution includes direct contact with client to resolve situation.
A very good midwestern company
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 30, 2014
A good solid midwestern company going through some cultural changes as new management makes changes.
Pros
Job security, good work/life balance
Cons
Cultural change-- becoming less midwestern in terms of culture
Summary
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 10, 2014
Typical work was all completed at your own desk in a cubicle, which became very monotonous.
Excellent Company
Senior Account Administrator Learning Quest Kansas (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 5, 2013
I received phone calls from financial advisers who sold Learning Quest, the Kansas 529 College Savings Plans to their clients. I would work through service or processing issues to provide an excellent customer experience,. I also wrote correspondence for the Service Department.
Pros
I learned about financial marekts and investing.
Cons
Small family owned company evolved into a larger less personal corporate feeling
Conservative company
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 12, 2012
American Century Investments will never be in the news for a scandal. The policies and procedures reflect a conservative mentality in all areas of the business to keep this true. At times its easy to relate to frustrated clients who are working though certain requirements. Although, I believe the benefits out weigh the costs.

The founder has always been very generous to the employees and the company has remained this way.

Upper management and fund managers frequently holds seminars during the lunch hour. These provide a fascinating insight to their daily work. However, after a point, these seemed to tease me since the ability to grow within the company was limited.
Pros
great benefits, considerable amount of pto, lots of free food throughout the year.
Cons
after reaching a certain plateau, difficult to move up. outside hiring for coveted fund research and management positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Century Investments. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3