American Century Investments Employee Reviews

Great Company, Great Experience
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 26, 2016
Of course ACI isn't perfect, but it's the best company I have ever worked for personally. The managers are more than willing to help you get promotions or apply to other jobs within the company or even willing to help you build your resume in general. They actually care about you and it's shown. The directors and VPs in charge of departments actually listen to the wants/needs of employees vs letting them fall to the side.
Pros
healthcare, great environment
Innovative and Fun Investment Company
Investment Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 20, 2015
American Century Investments is THE BEST investment company to work for. The company is tied to the greater humanitarian cause of finding cures for cancer and other genetically based diseases. To date, the company has donated up to $2billion for cancer research to the Stowers Institute For Cancer Research and BioMed Valley. Coworkers are friendly, there is generous paid time off and benefits packages, and career advancement is on the up side.
Pros
Generous work-life balance, benefits package, company culture.
Great company
Corporate Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  DenverNovember 17, 2015
Great company to work for, just no Denver jobs now. All call center work being handled in Kansas City headquarters. If you're willing to move there, a great company to work for with good benefits and awesome colleagues.
Pros
Great vision overall
Cons
No longer has Denver office
Relaxed, friendly corporate culture
SENIOR ESTATE TRANSFER CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 11, 2015
Great place to work with friendly colleagues for most part. Opportunities for advancement if you put in the effort and can play the politics like at any other company. Learned a great deal about asset management industry at American Century Investments.
Pros
Frequent free lunches, lots of relaxed dress days, engaged management, relaxed corporate culture for an asset management firm
Cons
Managers expect you to 'reach out and get to know them' before being considered for roles in area
Good place to work, doesn't pay real well. Benefits are pretty good.
IT Physical Security officer (Current Employee) –  KCMOJuly 23, 2015
Patrol interior and exterior of property.
Man reception desks.
Work control center, probably hardest part of job as you are by yourself answering the phone, checking in and out badges, monitoring cameras and alarms. Letting people in the garage entrances remotely among other things.
Great company, great people
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed my internship at American Century Investments. The people were great and I found my work challenging, but rewarding. I learned a lot over the summer and I would return full time if the opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Work environment, people, relatively good hours for the industry
Cons
Low turnover means few job openings
Investments and technology
Director of Network Services (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 30, 2015
I was responsible for the Network Services Team while at American Century. the technology needed to be refreshed, processes need to be put in place and cost models needed to be developed. This provided great opportunity to mature the team and our service offerings. The culture promoted employee growth and technical advancements. The hardest part of the job was implementing internal controls processes and getting the support all team members. The most enjoyable part of the job was implementing new technology, process development and individual growth.
Pros
it opportunity
Cons
controls
Great mission
Vice President - Sales Technology & Operations (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 24, 2014
Going through change; market performance has helped; question of culture with the passing of the Founder. Good people
This job was hectic especially in the mornings.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Here I learned to be flexible with my time. I had to be in the office at five o'clock in the morning when the companies were reporting their earnings and I needed to get the international information.
Great benefits - team outings & free lunches
Client Specialist Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 9, 2014
Processing requests on accounts, able to work on own. Learned alot about investing and the different type of investment accounts. Management was very busy with other projects. Co-workers are amazing, helpful and made the day go by fast. Hardest part of job is during tax season. Most enjoyable part of job was all the benefits they offer.
Pros
benefits - health, vacation, time off for good performance
Friendly environment in a face paced market.
Client Service Representative (seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 21, 2014
Very friendly environment in a fast paced market.

Typical day includes working directly to completing investors financial requests or account maintenance. Problem resolution includes direct contact with client to resolve situation.
A very good midwestern company
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 30, 2014
A good solid midwestern company going through some cultural changes as new management makes changes.
Pros
job security, good work/life balance
Cons
cultural change-- becoming less midwestern in terms of culture
Summary
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 10, 2014
Typical work was all completed at your own desk in a cubicle, which became very monotonous.
Excellent Company
Senior Account Administrator Learning Quest Kansas (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 5, 2013
I received phone calls from financial advisers who sold Learning Quest, the Kansas 529 College Savings Plans to their clients. I would work through service or processing issues to provide an excellent customer experience,. I also wrote correspondence for the Service Department.
Pros
i learned about financial marekts and investing.
Cons
small family owned company evolved into a larger less personal corporate feeling
Conservative company
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 12, 2012
American Century Investments will never be in the news for a scandal. The policies and procedures reflect a conservative mentality in all areas of the business to keep this true. At times its easy to relate to frustrated clients who are working though certain requirements. Although, I believe the benefits out weigh the costs.

The founder has always been very generous to the employees and the company has remained this way.

Upper management and fund managers frequently holds seminars during the lunch hour. These provide a fascinating insight to their daily work. However, after a point, these seemed to tease me since the ability to grow within the company was limited.
Pros
great benefits, considerable amount of pto, lots of free food throughout the year.
Cons
after reaching a certain plateau, difficult to move up. outside hiring for coveted fund research and management positions.
Productive and fun place with a friendly atmosphere
Middle Office Operations Internship (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2012
* I would work on 4 account reconciliations every morning and 1 in the afternoon. I was also a liasion between brokers and custodians for trade settlements.
* The floor that I worked on was extremely friendly. The managers, even the ones that I didn't work for, knew everyone on the floor and would stop and talk to me throughout the day.
A rewarding workplace with outstanding work/life balance
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2012
I sincerely enjoyed my time with American Century. The culture was undergoing some significant change while I was there and this was accelerated by the market collapse in 2008.

While I was caught up in the layoffs due to the market decline I still keep in touch with many of co-workers because we formed such close relationships.

I'd definitely consider returning to American Century for the right opportunity.
Pros
benefits, compenstation, pto & location
Cons
culture, quality of work

4.4