American Chemical Society Employee Reviews

Very fun and educational
Active Member (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 31, 2015
Student run organization that was affiliated with the regional and national organization. Provided a fun learning atmosphere to bring together like minded individuals to promote chemical science.
club at school
Member (Former Employee) –  Drexel UniversityOctober 12, 2015
member of ACS, do not work there. Attended a few club meetings, switched majors and no longer in the club. Participate in a chem wars with local schools in philadelphia.
Pros
free food, fun experiments
Cons
nonw
Congenial work atmosphere coupled with a downtown DC buzz.
Business Specialist, Green Chemistry Institute (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2015
Helpful co-workers, meeting experts. Good mix of marketing, content development, publications and technical staff. Open door policy.
Cons
Understaffed.
Member of ACS
Active member, New England Chapter (Current Employee) –  homeAugust 6, 2015
I enjoy receiving daily news and updates from ACS. I actively read the magazines from ACS and love to constantly keep tabs on new developments in both industry and academia.
Good place to start career
Membership Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2015
Gain good experience working in a larger non-profit. Compensation isn't motivating or competitive so it's not a long term career opportunity.
Productive environment with much to learn
President of Students Affiliates (Current Employee) –  MOJune 3, 2015
From day to day, I would open the clinic and answer the phone to make appointments. Surgery patients would come in at 8am so I would have to print out the proper paperwork and prepare for the surgery before the customer arrived. Before surgery, I would prep the patient and get all of the materials ready for the veterinarian. During surgery, I would answer phone calls, talk to customers and help the veterinarian with what ever they needed. I have had some boarding experience since the practice was so small. I would inform the customers about new flea and tick prevention and the medications their animals were given. During examinations, I would perform typical vet tech procedures such as preparing the vaccinations, holding the animal and making the customer and the patient feel comfortable and welcome. I would deal with all of the transactions made throughout the day and keep track of the patients notes within the Avimark system. At the end of the day, I would make the deposit from that days transactions, fill out all of the rewards paperwork for flea and tick prevention and close the clinic along with the boarding house.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, one-on-one experience with the vet
Cons
cramped clinic, ordering supplies was difficult at times
Good environment
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  District of ColumbiaMarch 25, 2015
The American Chemical Society was a company you could utilize your talents. The benefits were great and I formed many great relationships with the people I worked with.

The job allowed me to work independently as well as with others. It was a fast paced environment but if you managed your time well and stayed focused you were able to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job was getting others to respond within the time allotted. Usually took several follow ups.

I enjoyed the opportunity of contributing to the company's success.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Could have better communication
An eye opening opportunity
UIC, Member (Current Employee) –  National chapterMarch 24, 2015
Being a member at the American Chemical Society gave me and still giving me a chance to explore the latest technology in the U.S and the entire world.
Important work in a friendly environment
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
My co-workers really made me feel like a part of the team. My supervisor was very approachable and willing to help when needed.
Pros
occasional catered lunch, good pay
Great place to work, not much room for advancement
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2015
Great place to work, not much room for advancement. Laid back culture and very friendly people.
Good place to work for only a few years
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2014
I worked for this organization for years and when my position was terminated I was dumped in the category with all the other outside applicants trying to apply for a position within with no luck.

If you're looking for job security get a gov't job. This company does not value long term employees. They consistently choose to hire externally (cheaper) more than they promote from within.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
political environment, no job security
Great place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2014
I have interned here for two summers and in my experience I have not a met a single person that was rude or unruly in my experience. My bosses have all been fantastic and it was a great place to work.
Nothing to say.
Communications & Design Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2014
Nothing to say. Not sure why a review of your current place of work is required.
Pros
comfortable. some great, talented people and experiences.
Cons
incremental innovation. politicized internal culture.
No typical day
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2014
There is not a typical day at work which is a great thing. You learn something new all the time and each day brings new challenges. I work with some smart co-workers who think outside the box.

The hardest part of the job is getting management to embrace new ideas and innovation. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the Managing Editors and Editors to create new campaigns to promote the Journals. I also enjoy the relationship with my co-workers.
Pros
free food
Cons
meetings
professional, engaging, relevant work
Office of International Activities Winter Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2014
Great organization that constantly pushes employees with rewarding goals. Relevant work experience within department.
Great place to do a fellowship.
ACS Science Policy Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2013
The American Chemical Society is interesting place to work. I learned a lot about Policy.
Safe and Educational enviroment
Project SEED Student (II) (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2012
Though chemistry is happening every second of the day, it's always interesting to slow down and break the process down to understand wha exactly is going on. This summer program helped me understand the importance of reducing global warming by trying to reduce greenhouse effect by trying to break C-F bonds and form C-C ad C-H bonds. I created a report about C-F bonds and prepared a 12 minute powerpoint presentation at the end of the summer.
Pros
exposure to careers that involve chemistry
Cons
some chemicals are harmful but they ensure that we are safe
An Excellent Experience
Web Strategy and Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2012
Working as an intern was a fantastic experience overall. Each day would be a balance between my major project, and whatever supplemental tasks others in the office had for me. Through the experience, I learned time management, resource management, meeting and presentation skills, as well as leadership skills. The management was very helpful, and always interested in what I had to say. They valued my opinion, though I was only an intern. The hardest part of the job was communication and team leading. It is difficult to run a project when many people on your team are engrossed in other projects themselves. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom I was given to pursue creativity on the project, as well as receiving plenty of affirmation of my work along the way.
Pros
endless coffee, fun co-workers, challenging environment, great professional boost
Cons
somewhat difficult to communicate with other highly-engrossed team members
This was my first job after leaving the armed forces
Word Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2012
I fulfilled the many requests for specific scientific information; typed press releases and other duties.
Pros
an opportunity to enter the workforce
Cons
no growth or advancement opportunity
Board has a narrow focus
Senior Program Associate (Former Employee) –  New Business Development DepartmentFebruary 23, 2012
The board has a narrow focus. Organization is hindered by the slow adoption of new technology. Acquisition and development occurs throughout the organization without a development team except for IT Aquisitions. Many high level employees feel that the administration staff has limited capability. Advancement has barriers such as "chemical degree required." There is no avenues to train staff to become managers.
benefits
Cons
no cafeteria