American Chemical Society

American Chemical Society Employee Reviews

Good environment
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee), District of ColumbiaMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Could have better communication
The American Chemical Society was a company you could utilize your talents. The benefits were great and I formed many great relationships with the people I worked with.

The job allowed me to work independently as well as with others. It was a fast paced environment but if you managed your time well and stayed focused you were able to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job was getting others to respond within the time allotted. Usually took several follow ups.

I enjoyed the opportunity of contributing to the company's success.
An eye opening opportunity
UIC, Member (Current Employee), National chapterMarch 24, 2015
Being a member at the American Chemical Society gave me and still giving me a chance to explore the latest technology in the U.S and the entire world.
Important work in a friendly environment
INTERN (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: occasional catered lunch, good pay
My co-workers really made me feel like a part of the team. My supervisor was very approachable and willing to help when needed.
Great place to work, not much room for advancement
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2015
Great place to work, not much room for advancement. Laid back culture and very friendly people.
Good place to work for only a few years
Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: political environment, no job security
I worked for this organization for years and when my position was terminated I was dumped in the category with all the other outside applicants trying to apply for a position within with no luck.

If you're looking for job security get a gov't job. This company does not value long term employees. They consistently choose to hire externally (cheaper) more than they promote from within.
Great place
Internship (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 20, 2014
I have interned here for two summers and in my experience I have not a met a single person that was rude or unruly in my experience. My bosses have all been fantastic and it was a great place to work.
Nothing to say.
Communications & Design Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2014
Pros: comfortable. some great, talented people and experiences.
Cons: incremental innovation. politicized internal culture.
Nothing to say. Not sure why a review of your current place of work is required.
No typical day
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: meetings
There is not a typical day at work which is a great thing. You learn something new all the time and each day brings new challenges. I work with some smart co-workers who think outside the box.

The hardest part of the job is getting management to embrace new ideas and innovation. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the Managing Editors and Editors to create new campaigns to promote the Journals. I also enjoy the relationship with my co-workers.
professional, engaging, relevant work
Office of International Activities Winter Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2014
Great organization that constantly pushes employees with rewarding goals. Relevant work experience within department.
Great place to do a fellowship.
ACS Science Policy Fellow (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 9, 2013
The American Chemical Society is interesting place to work. I learned a lot about Policy.
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJune 4, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
This is a great place to work. The people there are great and really help you understand the concepts in best management practices.
Safe and Educational enviroment
Project SEED Student (II) (Former Employee), Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2012
Pros: exposure to careers that involve chemistry
Cons: some chemicals are harmful but they ensure that we are safe
Though chemistry is happening every second of the day, it's always interesting to slow down and break the process down to understand wha exactly is going on. This summer program helped me understand the importance of reducing global warming by trying to reduce greenhouse effect by trying to break C-F bonds and form C-C ad C-H bonds. I created a report about C-F bonds and prepared a 12 minute powerpoint presentation at the end of the summer.
An Excellent Experience
Web Strategy and Operations Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: endless coffee, fun co-workers, challenging environment, great professional boost
Cons: somewhat difficult to communicate with other highly-engrossed team members
Working as an intern was a fantastic experience overall. Each day would be a balance between my major project, and whatever supplemental tasks others in the office had for me. Through the experience, I learned time management, resource management, meeting and presentation skills, as well as leadership skills. The management was very helpful, and always interested in what I had to say. They valued my opinion, though I was only an intern. The hardest part of the job was communication and team leading. It is difficult to run a project when many people on your team are engrossed in other projects themselves. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom I was given to pursue creativity on the project, as well as receiving plenty of affirmation of my work along the way.
This was my first job after leaving the armed forces
Word Processing Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 7, 2012
Pros: an opportunity to enter the workforce
Cons: no growth or advancement opportunity
I fulfilled the many requests for specific scientific information; typed press releases and other duties.
Board has a narrow focus
Senior Program Associate (Former Employee), New Business Development DepartmentFebruary 23, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: no cafeteria
The board has a narrow focus. Organization is hindered by the slow adoption of new technology. Acquisition and development occurs throughout the organization without a development team except for IT Aquisitions. Many high level employees feel that the administration staff has limited capability. Advancement has barriers such as "chemical degree required." There is no avenues to train staff to become managers.
Only work here if you thrive on bureaucratic academia
Web content editor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: abysmal work environment
I was hired to be a so-called "Web content editor," but the job was really little more than word-processing using HTML. The workplace culture kept everyone in their own little silos, with little interaction among others. If you like isolation, this is the place for you. In addition, there was an overabundance of very self-important people and they really let you know it. Credentials mattered far more than competence, and it was the credentials that would advance you, not your competence.

American Chemical Society Salaries