American Chemical Society Employee Reviews

Decent honest work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 4, 2016
A typical day at work is usually not labor intensive, but requires use of your head instead. The most enjoyable part was actually understanding what you were doing and build upon that. The management was simple. Show up and keep careful tabs and records of your research. That was probably the hardest part, keeping note of everything because it really could have an impact when other people repeat the experiments. Co-workers were fantastic, they helped me understand what I needed to do and were always willing to answer any of my questions.
This was under the ACS Project SEED
Pros
happy place
Cons
when chemical accidents happen
ACS is a great stepping stone for other careers
Assistant Director, Membership (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 3, 2016
American Chemical Society offers impressive and respected journals. They are both a publishing organization (CAS) and a membership organization.
Unfortunately, their attempts to cultivate an engaged and supportive dues paying membership base has failed. The culture and management for the membership division has been detrimental to the overall goals and objectives of the larger enterprise. There is little hope that it can turn around as the organization cannot even effectively articulate their own value proposition. It looks as if they are struggling to change but it comes too late, after the damage has been done.
Talented people move on, hastily.
Staff great to work with. Some management poor and not open to new ideas.
Senior Science Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
Management rigid and not open to change. Some managers unfair to employees. There needs to be much more give-and-take among staff and managers.
Pros
Good benefits, nice staff
Cons
Some management not responsive to staff needs.
Productive, Fun
Editorial Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MONovember 21, 2016
Constant communication with authors and reviewers. Management friendly, always there to assist when needed, via telephone and e-mail. The best part of the job is working from home, hardest part is not being able to see co-workers more often.
Pros
Get to work from home
Cons
No benefits, part-time position
Great place to work/ Great flexibility
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2016
I love it here. The employees are nice. Management is understanding and approachable. The hardest part is remembering that technical responsibilities go hand in hand with the fun and exciting work too.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2016
Good company for starting out your career. The people here are great! They offer good benefits and a work/life balance. The job security is great but with that being said promotions/advancement are rare.
Great place to work, with awesome benefits.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2016
Loved working here for the past 10 years. The only reason I left was due to relocation. Very supportive environment, awesome benefits and you work hard, you will advance.
Pros
Friendly culture.
Received lots of mail very enlightening
Student (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 8, 2016
I didn't work for them specifically but through my research I brought new light to science. It was fun receiving letters through American Chemical Society. I got to read up and the newest research in science
Good place to work and nice people to work with.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2016
I learned a lot about office management and culture, as well as to use E.M.S. (Event Management Software) and become an expert in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Cons
Tedious work at times
Research
Project Seed (Former Employee) –  Union City, NJJune 2, 2016
Weekdays, doing research in the lab under a mentor. While working on a presentation for. Learned how to contact the company, getting a quote for the parts, figuring out what was needed for that day.

Want to know more about American Chemical Society?

Ask a question
Emphasisd on broadening awareness "green" chemistry and environmental conservation.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIMarch 19, 2016
Raised interest in the field of chemistry on campus by implementing team based tutoring and highlighting chemistry activities in local public schools.
Pros
Public Relations
Cons
short term assignment
Great employee benefits
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2016
Fun work environment, great retirement and educational benefits.
Management wasn't quite experienced. Workplace morale was generally low, but coworkers were genuinely friendly.
Good environment
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  District of ColumbiaMarch 25, 2015
The American Chemical Society was a company you could utilize your talents. The benefits were great and I formed many great relationships with the people I worked with.

The job allowed me to work independently as well as with others. It was a fast paced environment but if you managed your time well and stayed focused you were able to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job was getting others to respond within the time allotted. Usually took several follow ups.

I enjoyed the opportunity of contributing to the company's success.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Could have better communication
Very fun and educational
Active Member (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 31, 2015
Student run organization that was affiliated with the regional and national organization. Provided a fun learning atmosphere to bring together like minded individuals to promote chemical science.
Good place to work for only a few years
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2014
I worked for this organization for years and when my position was terminated I was dumped in the category with all the other outside applicants trying to apply for a position within with no luck.

If you're looking for job security get a gov't job. This company does not value long term employees. They consistently choose to hire externally (cheaper) more than they promote from within.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
political environment, no job security
No typical day
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2014
There is not a typical day at work which is a great thing. You learn something new all the time and each day brings new challenges. I work with some smart co-workers who think outside the box.

The hardest part of the job is getting management to embrace new ideas and innovation. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the Managing Editors and Editors to create new campaigns to promote the Journals. I also enjoy the relationship with my co-workers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Meetings
Only work here if you thrive on bureaucratic academia
Web content editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2012
I was hired to be a so-called "Web content editor," but the job was really little more than word-processing using HTML. The workplace culture kept everyone in their own little silos, with little interaction among others. If you like isolation, this is the place for you. In addition, there was an overabundance of very self-important people and they really let you know it. Credentials mattered far more than competence, and it was the credentials that would advance you, not your competence.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
abysmal work environment
Board has a narrow focus
Senior Program Associate (Former Employee) –  New Business Development DepartmentFebruary 23, 2012
The board has a narrow focus. Organization is hindered by the slow adoption of new technology. Acquisition and development occurs throughout the organization without a development team except for IT Aquisitions. Many high level employees feel that the administration staff has limited capability. Advancement has barriers such as "chemical degree required." There is no avenues to train staff to become managers.
benefits
Cons
no cafeteria
Safe and Educational enviroment
Project SEED Student (II) (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2012
Though chemistry is happening every second of the day, it's always interesting to slow down and break the process down to understand wha exactly is going on. This summer program helped me understand the importance of reducing global warming by trying to reduce greenhouse effect by trying to break C-F bonds and form C-C ad C-H bonds. I created a report about C-F bonds and prepared a 12 minute powerpoint presentation at the end of the summer.
Pros
exposure to careers that involve chemistry
Cons
some chemicals are harmful but they ensure that we are safe
club at school
Member (Former Employee) –  Drexel UniversityOctober 12, 2015
member of ACS, do not work there. Attended a few club meetings, switched majors and no longer in the club. Participate in a chem wars with local schools in philadelphia.
Pros
free food, fun experiments
Cons
nonw

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Chemical Society. Our community is ready to answer.

American Chemical Society Reviews by Location