American City Business Journals

American City Business Journals Employee Reviews

Safe place to work but not exciting
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 9, 2016
The people I work intimately with are great but communication between departments is very poor. Corporate executives change their mind constantly and what they think is best for the business.
Pros
free breakfast and snacks
Cons
corporate execs tend to micro manage
Great culture and group of people. Resepected editorial, news and events.s
Account Executive/Client Relations (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 16, 2016
Great culture and group of people. Respected business news, editorial, and events that keep the community informed in a way that no other media does in the region.
Great Company
National Circulation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 27, 2016
American City Business Journals is a great company. They do their best to take care of there own. They do so well in this endeavor that unfortunately advancement opportunities are less about the companies growth and more about who's growth has led them away from the company. They have a great culture of learning how to better do your particular job with work training's during lunch (lunch provided) and working with you on a one to one basis. The coworkers are hard workers and very friendly.
Pros
Great Job Security for your Current Position
Cons
Not much room for upward growth within the company
fun
Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2016
fun workplace and management is great. i recommend this company and it wont let you down. Great leaders and professionals involved to help push you to your goal.
Challenging, creative environment that can often be too fast paced and stressful.
Staff Reporter (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 10, 2015
The Orlando Business Journal is a challenging place to work. The staff consists of a small group of creative individuals that pulls together a big, informative weekly business publication every week.
Unlike other publications, the Orlando Business Journal operates like a daily but with only a quarter of the staff you may see at large publications. While this is great for the company — creating a lean and fast publication — it creates a stressful environment as each reporter must turn around a lot of copy in a small amount of time for both online and print. It's a lot to handle, but once grasped, it gives writers the feeling of actually accomplishing something.
Also, being a business publication, writers have the ability to really get some one-on-one time with well-known local CEOs, go on interesting assignments and gather helpful information that could contribute to the local economy.
Pros
Outstanding healthcare benefits
Cons
Heavy workload, often times stressful environment
solid work enviroment down to business
Inside Sales Executive / Sales Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 4, 2014
As an agent facilitator I was responsible to help other sales agents close sales as well as help with operations on our custom dialer system. Maintain an average of 20 calls per hour and per week responsible for averaging 47 renewal sales and generate 3 new sale with a prepaid percentage of 55%. Also in charge of training new sales agents on our software as well as knowledge of over a hundred different products offered by Bizjournals. Had great interaction on a day to day basis with over 30 employees daily. The greatest part of my job was watching someone take the knowledge that I provided and use that to close a sale.
Productive fun place to work at one time
Associate Circulations Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 22, 2013
Directed day to day operation of the Circulation Sales Team.
Motivate sales team with select goals
Ability to perform multiple tasks efficiently, managed past due accounts
Business to Business outside sales, and cultivated new ideas for marketing that generated sales,
Cultivated new ideas for marketing that generated sales of the publication.
Handle Customers complaints, able to evaluate and solve the problems
Ability to perform multiple tasks efficiently, call on weekly past expired accounts.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great place to gain experience but.....
Market Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 8, 2012
This employer is very vocal about advancing within the company and training on new positions of interest but when something is available they do not consider you for the new opening and they do not let you train on company time. They are very negative about performance and do not give recognition when you do something correctly
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
low pay, many tasks
Amazing JOB!
Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 17, 2012
I absolutely love working here. This was my first job in my career field. I've been here for 5+ years - straight out of college. I've learned a lot of things as far as the career path I've chosen. I've learned how to apply my studies to real life situations and to think more outside the box. The atmosphere here is incredible - everyone is like family. The only two cons I can think of is advancement and you can get TOO comfortable. The job is very flexible but it's hard to advance. Like I said, everyone here is like family. Everyone here has worked here for more than 5+ years. Management really care about everyone here. I would recommend this job to anyone. Especially individuals straight out of college looking for a starting point.
Pros
flexible, co-workers, management
Cons
advancement, can get too comfortable
Account Distribution Equity
Local Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2014
This company is going through some serious growing pains in moving out of the 80's or "the way we have always done it". They have a new and highly qualified Publisher (senior manager) who is having to unravel and re-format processes, and harness technology to do more for productivity. The distribution of the major categories is not equitable for the sales team; one does very well and the others struggle. The hardest part of the job is finding viable customer candidates in secondary business categories. Individually, nearly everybody there is a "good person", but a long-time manager creates chaos simply to try to create an appearance of being "vital" to the company.
Pros
good corporate parent, exceptional sales training, good it support
Cons
the share of market in print and digital advertising is shrinking rapidly, little growth opportunity
Great job, great hours, too good to last!
Independent contractor/courier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 20, 2012
This was my favorite job. I worked on Fridays for weekly delivery. I work enter the office at about 4:30am, collected up all the newspaper bundles for delivery and away I went. Delivering to news stands, retail customers, and some private clients. Occasionally I would have to perform repairs on new paper boxes, or run into some off-beat individuals on the street in the middle of the night. My manager was let go in the middle of my employment and new manager was brought on. The new manager was a bit unorganized but was very understanding and quite helpful. Sadly the company was going through a budget crisis and my contract was not renewed and I was laid off.
Pros
great hours, excellent pay, allotted me to have a second job and go to shcool as well
Cons
hard to find your way around 3 different counties for the first few weeks
Great people and benefits, poor morale
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaOctober 10, 2012
Really enjoyed the people I worked with, opportunity to meet interesting local people across many industries. A great experience overall but a lot of fear about the future of your individual role and the future of the industry as a whole.
Pros
company outings, family environment
Cons
no room for advancement
Multi-tasking
Research Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2014
I was very involved in multi-tasking and customer service during my time as Research Director. I had to -- every day-- work on more than one assignment as related to the Top 25 Listings and the annual Book of Lists. I had to be organized, fast paced and have an update schedule of what was to be completed on a particular day.
Fun Place to work for
Associate Circulations Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 28, 2014
Until the new Publisher came in and did job cut and completely changed the whole work crew, and the company wasn't fun anymore. It was my favorite job for years.
Pros
free breakfast, lunches, and happy hour networking
Cons
great job for contacts, and new business friends.
Productive and informative publication
Reporter (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2014
I learned how to spend my work days investigating and reporting pertinent business news with the collaboration of both my editors and my co-workers. The most rewarding part of my job was to be able to report breaking news for our readers.
Business Development at American City Business Journals
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 21, 2013
The digital area was a growing part of the business. There were a lot of good successes there, but the company found itself in a tough situation once the 2008 recession hit. I left to avoid an impending layoff.
Productive and fun
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 27, 2012
It was a job I could do well. Management was easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was having to stay late to get it all accomplished. We were on a hiring freeze.
Pros
many outings
Cons
long drive from home.
Working on the Web
Digital Content Producer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 20, 2013
A fast-paced place to work where everyone takes on many responsibilities. Every day is different as business news breaks and stories evolve throughout the day.
Good environment
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 6, 2014
Good environment, fun events, diversity, informational,
Pros
fun
Cons
stability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American City Business Journals. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3