American Civil Liberties Union

American Civil Liberties Union Employer Reviews

Relaxed and enjoyable workplace
Fair Housing Law Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 12, 2014
As a summer law clerk, one of the most enjoyable parts of the job was learning about fair housing issues by traveling with my supervising attorney to different parts of Maryland and the District of Columbia to attend various meetings and conferences on said issues. I learned a lot that summer.
Volunteer
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 24, 2014
Excellent place to volunteer, director is very pleasant to work with!
Dedicated to protecting civil liberties and civil rights for nearly 100 years
Women’s and Reproductive Rights Volunteer (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
- Leader in policy and constitutional legal community
- Garnered proven results over nearly 100 years of defending civil liberties
- Hard working staff and leadership
- Good work life balance
- Friendly and bright staff
Professor Nadine Strossen was an outstanding mentor.
President/Professor (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 26, 2013
Conducted legal and factual research involving civil liberties and constitutional law. Assisted with preparations for speaking engagements and media appearances. Edited scholarly publications.
Excellent environment.
If you are not a lawyer don't work at the ACLU
not legal (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: diverse work force, decent hours
Cons: hierarchical, no job/salary advancement, unwieldy, unstrategic
The ACLU has a tremendous reputation and has achieved some truly amazing milestones/victories in the fight for civil liberties over nearly 100 years.

If you're a lawyer, this is a great place to work, but if you have other skills - policy, communications, digital, advocacy - look elsewhere.

The lawyers have an iron fist hold on all decisions related – more... to strategy including decisions outside of their skill set. Management is terrified of the legal staff and will not push back, so skilled professionals who are not working on litigation or direct lobbying have to yield to illogical non-strategic "tactics" designed by lawyers who have no knowledge of (or real interest in) the wide range of opportunities that move public opinion around civil liberties. Good ideas are met with bullying from the lawyers to implement their ideas instead.

I've not yet met a lawyer who doesn't love it here- so if that is your field by all means apply. But if you are not a lawyer and want to flourish in your field while also working on behalf of the issues that matter most then this is not the place for you – less
My Favorite Internship!
Internship (Former Employee), Chicago,ILAugust 22, 2013
At ACLU it was very inspiring! It is my dream to be a Civil Rights Lawyer. There they should me the ropes of being a Civil Rights Lawyer. Being a Civil Rights Lawyer you don't get paid much but its worth it because your doing something you love!
A bootcamp for champions of equality
Paralegal (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2013
A learned amzing things about civil rights and what is owed to me as a citizen of the United States of America.
Community oriented work environment where people were enthusiastic about their work.
Outreach Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2013
Pros: open office environment, flexible schedule.
Cons: not enough hours.
I do several different things as an Outreach Assistant at the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah. I do everything from plan fundraising events, to promoting our work to the community, to working with external partners on different projects. I have learned how to interact with different people in our community, fundraise, and work with donors. My – more... supervisor was always quick to help and kept me busy. My co-workers were all very nice and open-minded. The hardest thing about this job was learning to work on several tasks at once. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people in our community and working for an organization that I believed in. – less
great place to intern
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2013
I had an incredible expereince as a Legal Assistant in Washington DC, I got to participate in the City's politics in a breathtaking way
Feel good work
ACLU Intake Volunteer (Former Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 2, 2012
Pros: free parking, learning, feel good
Cons: no pay
Typical day involved reading emails, letters, and listening to voice mail requests for legal assistance and then preparing responses based on the issues they raised. It was very interesting work. I like the people I worked with and learned a lot. The hardest part of the job was the lack of pay.
Very productive and professional work environment.
American Civil Liberties Union Internship (Current Employee), Jackson, MSMay 1, 2012
Pros: i was able to work on my own project, gained valuable experience, taught me to be dedicated and finish what i start.
Cons: there were no cons.
Come into a laid back office and getting right to work researching different solutions to help young people know their rights. Analyzing data that came from people who we may have interviewd to see similarities and differences in what they feel works when it comes to a child being harrased by police.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2012
Pros: informal dress
Cons: no room for growth
I enjoyed the staff and the culture of the office. Dress was informal yet a high degree of professionalism was maintained at all times.
This place is okay.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.December 23, 2011
The ACLU is a good opportunity for law students to gain some experience. Legal assistants are given a lot of responsibilities, such as conducting research and legal intake.