American Civil Liberties Union Employee Reviews in United States

Great managers, no job security
Cavasser (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 22, 2016
The people I worked for were great, but the quota system under which they operate is ruthless and cutthroat and contributes to kind of a toxic work environment.
Wonderful place to work
HR Associate/Payroll Liaison (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2016
The environment is friendly. The benefits are excellent. Every day you are guarantee to learn something new. My overall experience is wonderful.
Wonderful organization in Philadelphia
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 13, 2015
Worked there as an intern, and then an appointed position. Tireless, dedicated staff. Very open to new ideas and working cooperatively. While there, I felt like I was on a highly functional team, with a shared vision, who supported each other.
Great opputunity
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 3, 2015
Great experience dealing with many constitutional issues concerning those o all walks of life. Issues that affect both the wealthy and poor.
Productive Place to Work with Nice Work/Life Balance
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Great staff, fantastic supervisor, nice work/life balance, friendly atmosphere, provided opportunities for skill development, you get to advocate for the rights of others, but the pay is not very high and you do put in long hours depending on the case at hand
Great Overall Organization but...
Director of Philanthropy (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 30, 2014
I really believe in the mission of the ACLU but management on the affiliate level is lacking and there is no oversight by the national office. Hard for me to recommend anyone coming to work for the organization though I will continue to support it.
Pros
social action initiatives
Cons
terrible management
Relaxed and enjoyable workplace
Fair Housing Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 12, 2014
As a summer law clerk, one of the most enjoyable parts of the job was learning about fair housing issues by traveling with my supervising attorney to different parts of Maryland and the District of Columbia to attend various meetings and conferences on said issues. I learned a lot that summer.
Volunteer
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 24, 2014
Excellent place to volunteer, director is very pleasant to work with!
Dedicated to protecting civil liberties and civil rights for nearly 100 years
Women’s and Reproductive Rights Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
- Leader in policy and constitutional legal community
- Garnered proven results over nearly 100 years of defending civil liberties
- Hard working staff and leadership
- Good work life balance
- Friendly and bright staff
If you are not a lawyer don't work at the ACLU
not legal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
The ACLU has a tremendous reputation and has achieved some truly amazing milestones/victories in the fight for civil liberties over nearly 100 years.

If you're a lawyer, this is a great place to work, but if you have other skills - policy, communications, digital, advocacy - look elsewhere.

The lawyers have an iron fist hold on all decisions related to strategy including decisions outside of their skill set. Management is terrified of the legal staff and will not push back, so skilled professionals who are not working on litigation or direct lobbying have to yield to illogical non-strategic "tactics" designed by lawyers who have no knowledge of (or real interest in) the wide range of opportunities that move public opinion around civil liberties. Good ideas are met with bullying from the lawyers to implement their ideas instead.

I've not yet met a lawyer who doesn't love it here- so if that is your field by all means apply. But if you are not a lawyer and want to flourish in your field while also working on behalf of the issues that matter most then this is not the place for you
Pros
diverse work force, decent hours
Cons
hierarchical, no job/salary advancement, unwieldy, unstrategic
My Favorite Internship!
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILAugust 22, 2013
At ACLU it was very inspiring! It is my dream to be a Civil Rights Lawyer. There they should me the ropes of being a Civil Rights Lawyer. Being a Civil Rights Lawyer you don't get paid much but its worth it because your doing something you love!
A bootcamp for champions of equality
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2013
A learned amzing things about civil rights and what is owed to me as a citizen of the United States of America.
Community oriented work environment where people were enthusiastic about their work.
Outreach Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 18, 2013
I do several different things as an Outreach Assistant at the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah. I do everything from plan fundraising events, to promoting our work to the community, to working with external partners on different projects. I have learned how to interact with different people in our community, fundraise, and work with donors. My supervisor was always quick to help and kept me busy. My co-workers were all very nice and open-minded. The hardest thing about this job was learning to work on several tasks at once. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people in our community and working for an organization that I believed in.
Pros
open office environment, flexible schedule.
Cons
not enough hours.
great place to intern
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2013
I had an incredible expereince as a Legal Assistant in Washington DC, I got to participate in the City's politics in a breathtaking way
Feel good work
ACLU Intake Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 2, 2012
Typical day involved reading emails, letters, and listening to voice mail requests for legal assistance and then preparing responses based on the issues they raised. It was very interesting work. I like the people I worked with and learned a lot. The hardest part of the job was the lack of pay.
Pros
free parking, learning, feel good
Cons
no pay
Very productive and professional work environment.
American Civil Liberties Union Internship (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 1, 2012
Come into a laid back office and getting right to work researching different solutions to help young people know their rights. Analyzing data that came from people who we may have interviewd to see similarities and differences in what they feel works when it comes to a child being harrased by police.
Pros
i was able to work on my own project, gained valuable experience, taught me to be dedicated and finish what i start.
Cons
there were no cons.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2012
I enjoyed the staff and the culture of the office. Dress was informal yet a high degree of professionalism was maintained at all times.
Pros
informal dress
Cons
no room for growth
This place is okay.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.December 23, 2011
The ACLU is a good opportunity for law students to gain some experience. Legal assistants are given a lot of responsibilities, such as conducting research and legal intake.

4.2