American Civil Liberties Union Employee Reviews

Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
The culture was great. Management was supportive and really cared about the issues that the organization fights to protect. Salary was great. I was compensated well for someone with my skill set and experience. I enjoyed it there.
Pros
Great team, great pay, flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
sometimes work is boring and redundant. Needs to update technology
practical skills are a must
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 4, 2017
The ACLU is a great place to gain practical work skills but the management is not always nurturing or concerned about a work-life balance. They are more concerned with winning. Its a good place to learn skills but not a good place to plan to stay.
Pros
good job practice
Cons
poor management, not paid
Great coworkers
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 19, 2017
People are brilliant and amazing, but it's kind of hard to move up anywhere without a law degree. Important work, controversial at times. Good experience.
Great place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 20, 2017
This was a very fair and fun place to work. Day to day the employees were great to work with.
Smooth operations. Lots of training. I loved working there
Review
Special Projects Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2017
This job has been reviewed. It was a temporary job. I worked as a volunteer and did not receive pay. The employees were warm and professional. I would work with them again.
Fantastic Experience
COMMUNITY ORGANIZER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2017
I was fortunate to participate as a community organizer for the San Diego American Civil Liberties Union working on projects such as community forum providing resources for undocumented people and information about DAPA and DACA.
Passionate people doing important work
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 5, 2017
Coworkers were great. Everyone is invested in the mission, and most get along well.

Resources are limited, but the organization is well managed and has a national support system.
Interesting and relevant work
Assistant to Policy Research Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2017
The work that I did here felt substantial and meaningful. Its purpose was to help those who did not have the resources to help themselves and to bring light to systematic problems of the police force.
Pros
Relevant and motivating work
Cons
Great organization doing amazing work
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2016
Great work environment. Lots of team building and events to meet co-workers. Great work-life balance.

Lots of research and tons of meetings to manage logistics and coordination.
Great managers, no job security
Cavasser (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 22, 2016
The people I worked for were great, but the quota system under which they operate is ruthless and cutthroat and contributes to kind of a toxic work environment.

Want to know more about American Civil Liberties Union?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to work
HR Associate/Payroll Liaison (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2016
The environment is friendly. The benefits are excellent. Every day you are guarantee to learn something new. My overall experience is wonderful.
Wonderful organization in Philadelphia
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 13, 2015
Worked there as an intern, and then an appointed position. Tireless, dedicated staff. Very open to new ideas and working cooperatively. While there, I felt like I was on a highly functional team, with a shared vision, who supported each other.
Great opputunity
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 3, 2015
Great experience dealing with many constitutional issues concerning those o all walks of life. Issues that affect both the wealthy and poor.
Productive Place to Work with Nice Work/Life Balance
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Great staff, fantastic supervisor, nice work/life balance, friendly atmosphere, provided opportunities for skill development, you get to advocate for the rights of others, but the pay is not very high and you do put in long hours depending on the case at hand
Great Overall Organization but...
Director of Philanthropy (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 30, 2014
I really believe in the mission of the ACLU but management on the affiliate level is lacking and there is no oversight by the national office. Hard for me to recommend anyone coming to work for the organization though I will continue to support it.
Pros
social action initiatives
Cons
terrible management
Relaxed and enjoyable workplace
Fair Housing Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 12, 2014
As a summer law clerk, one of the most enjoyable parts of the job was learning about fair housing issues by traveling with my supervising attorney to different parts of Maryland and the District of Columbia to attend various meetings and conferences on said issues. I learned a lot that summer.
Dedicated to protecting civil liberties and civil rights for nearly 100 years
Women’s and Reproductive Rights Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
- Leader in policy and constitutional legal community
- Garnered proven results over nearly 100 years of defending civil liberties
- Hard working staff and leadership
- Good work life balance
- Friendly and bright staff
Professor Nadine Strossen was an outstanding mentor.
President/Professor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2013
Conducted legal and factual research involving civil liberties and constitutional law. Assisted with preparations for speaking engagements and media appearances. Edited scholarly publications.
Excellent environment.
If you are not a lawyer don't work at the ACLU
not legal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
The ACLU has a tremendous reputation and has achieved some truly amazing milestones/victories in the fight for civil liberties over nearly 100 years.

If you're a lawyer, this is a great place to work, but if you have other skills - policy, communications, digital, advocacy - look elsewhere.

The lawyers have an iron fist hold on all decisions related to strategy including decisions outside of their skill set. Management is terrified of the legal staff and will not push back, so skilled professionals who are not working on litigation or direct lobbying have to yield to illogical non-strategic "tactics" designed by lawyers who have no knowledge of (or real interest in) the wide range of opportunities that move public opinion around civil liberties. Good ideas are met with bullying from the lawyers to implement their ideas instead.

I've not yet met a lawyer who doesn't love it here- so if that is your field by all means apply. But if you are not a lawyer and want to flourish in your field while also working on behalf of the issues that matter most then this is not the place for you
Pros
diverse work force, decent hours
Cons
hierarchical, no job/salary advancement, unwieldy, unstrategic
My Favorite Internship!
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILAugust 22, 2013
At ACLU it was very inspiring! It is my dream to be a Civil Rights Lawyer. There they should me the ropes of being a Civil Rights Lawyer. Being a Civil Rights Lawyer you don't get paid much but its worth it because your doing something you love!