American Classifieds Employee Reviews

Flexible when needed to be gone for an important doctor appointment for my husband sometimes.
National Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 14, 2017
Just not any room for climbing the ladder here. Love my job, and love the people. Everyone is looking online more than reading the paper. Its a constant battle to get people to renew their ads, due to money and not getting any calls from the paper.
Pros
Hours were good
Cons
No Benefits for this coming year in 2018
Good environment.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 13, 2017
American Classifieds is a nice place to work if you do not want to advance in a career. Very slow paced. Finding extra work to do was sometimes difficult. The owners were very nice.
Pros
Fixed hours
Cons
Not enough work to keep you busy
Fun atmosphere
AD CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2017
This was a very family driven company. very support system. The editor was very professional. All staff members were always ready to help one another. The pay end benefits were great
Productive and place of advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 15, 2017
West corporations was a wonderful place of employment. It is now known as Alorica. I worked in the American Express line. It's a place for all ages and people.
Pros
Chance for advancement
Cons
No schedule leniance
Advertising
Customer Service, Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMay 23, 2017
This job was in advertising and also customer service. It was located in the four corners and we would take adds with-in the region. Things including items to sell and also local adds for larger businesses
Basically it's one big family
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXMarch 2, 2017
The staff and management at American Classifieds are just that one big family when a new member is brought into the business they are brought into the family and are treated as such.
Pros
It was the best place I have ever worked
Cons
there weren't any
Productive and great environment!!!
Distribution Manager, Print Manager (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 16, 2016
American classifieds is most defiantly the best job I've ever had! the people you work with are amazing, there is no limit to what you can make . It is laid back and you work to your best ability, the CEO works with you to ensure success! I would tell anyone i know to work here!
productive fun environment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 2, 2016
American classified for me was a great experience. Having the feeling of importance felt great also having my own office and at that age in life I felt on top. Advertising was something new for me but I caught on very quickly and the Job offer great advancement I just loved my current position. It requires alot of client relations and building repor. The only con was no benefits. It is a great job for someone who loves sales marketing and being creative. Great job!!
Pros
hr. lunch breaks, own office space, great and fun workplace and employees
Cons
no benefits
Management at American Classifieds
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 29, 2016
Open business 5 days a week Monday - Friday. handle all phone calls, walk-in customers, dealt with up to 20+ employees in a day. Handled A/P & A/R, dealt with vendors. Trained new employees from outside sales, inside sales, route drivers and managers. Team player, believe in family first. Worked with commercial clients setting up their advertisement needs. Loved working with people. Hardest things I dealt with were dismissing a employee.
Pros
Meeting great people in the community.
Cons
Dealing with angry customers or abusive employee.
Quiet and welcoming work enviornment
Graphic Artist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NM 88240September 1, 2016
Most days were slow, but Mondays and Tuesday were the busiest. I learned more about the graphic design world.
My management was directed mostly at the main office, and not ours, so we were often forgot about.
I had one co-worker in my office, and spent most of my days alone.
I enjoyed building ads and building the paper, but it was difficult to keep the paper full with the economy.
Pros
Set schedule, flexiable lunch hours
Cons
1 co-worker, minimal time with our manager
Organized office with rock and roll
Office/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work included organized chaos with classic rock and roll music. The whole office loved to dance and laugh while working. The hardest part of the job were the weekly deadlines. I learned how the work under pressure and still be organized. My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job.
No Advancement No Benefits
Office Manager/Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 30, 2016
A Typical day at work consists of going in and answering phones, taking ad for customers. I have learned quite a lot working here. I have become proficient in Quickbooks, Indesigh, Admaster and Quark Express. My co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is not getting to take regular vacations, since everyone is put on a certain job, no one knows how to do it all but me. :(
The most enjoyable part is working with great people..
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Benefits
Great environment, family owned business
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJune 24, 2016
American Classifieds of Pueblo is a family owned business. The owner has only been running the business as the Publisher for just over a year. Prior he worked for American Classifieds for 30 years.
Since the new Publisher took over there was a lot of changes and learning curves to get through.

The management was a veteran sales consultant that was put into the title of manager, she had little to no managing skills and caused the sales team a lot of animosity. A couple of sales gals put in their notice because they didn't want to work with the new management.

When I left it was a work in progress to bring unity back to the team but it was starting to get better.

My fellow co-workers were great women and enjoyable to work with. They were always willing to help and teach you what they new.

The hardest part of my job was having to learn a lot by trial and error and starting from ground zero. Walking in as a new sales person you work on a 100% commissions with no guaranteed and zero advertisers. It made it hard to keep a roof over your head. The job also didn't offer any benefits. Advertisers were not allowed to go door to door, we had to put in a prospect sheet first and get them signed off before we could speak with new leads. Since I left I think the Publisher realized things needed to change and now is offering some existing accounts along with a guarantee.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my clients. I loved being out in the field meeting and talking to new people everyday and building relationships with my regulars.
Pros
Working with clients and being involved in community events
Cons
Zero Benefits, 100% commisions with no guarentee, wasn't offered established accounts to get you going, had to build your own.
New business venture to sell print advertising.
Digital & Print sales / Classified Advertising (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Very fast pased and energetic. Family owned business and no advancement opportunities. Production department very understaffed and deadlines hard to make.
Pros
Few sales people, account lists were available.
Cons
Very cheap rates. Commision was hard to acheive.
Worst company I ever worked for
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Boise, IdahoFebruary 17, 2016
The owner of the Boise American Classifieds has serious issues. Saw him literally on top of a desk screaming at an employee. Work life balance horrible. Not sure if lights will stay on or not because his book keeping is non existent and horrible.
Pros
Cons
Terrible boss, terrible pay
great place to work
Sales Representative/Marketing (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJanuary 18, 2016
too much positive to mention...id be here forever.!!!!! inside/outside sales . lots of driving to businesses I solicited asking each client to give me the opportunity in helping their business grow & and generate sales. I did all my invoicing & collections from each client.
Pros
conventions.sales awards
Great fellow co-workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 6, 2015
Management was not a pleasant person to deal with. The owner was a very self-centered person and acted like his employees were not good enough to even speak to.
Stay away from this place!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYSeptember 21, 2015
not a great place, no advancement opportunities, management is terrible. Management has ran all the good people off, repeat, stay away from this place!
On the Decline
General Manager and Share Holder, Greensboro, NC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2014
This classified advertising company has lost the print franchise in all markets due to the growth of the Internet. It's just an industry that's disappearing. Good people are just having to re-invent and adapt to new careers.
Pros
Fair and friendly management
A great company to work for.
Graphic Design Artist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 16, 2014
I love my job and the people I work with and for. It's a fun environment. I enjoy the new challenges as technology advances.
Pros
Great Managers
Cons
The company is downsizing