American Classifieds Employee Reviews

productive fun environment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 2, 2016
American classified for me was a great experience. Having the feeling of importance felt great also having my own office and at that age in life I felt on top. Advertising was something new for me but I caught on very quickly and the Job offer great advancement I just loved my current position. It requires alot of client relations and building repor. The only con was no benefits. It is a great job for someone who loves sales marketing and being creative. Great job!!
Pros
hr. lunch breaks, own office space, great and fun workplace and employees
Cons
no benefits
No Advancement No Benefits
Office Manager/Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 30, 2016
A Typical day at work consists of going in and answering phones, taking ad for customers. I have learned quite a lot working here. I have become proficient in Quickbooks, Indesigh, Admaster and Quark Express. My co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is not getting to take regular vacations, since everyone is put on a certain job, no one knows how to do it all but me. :(
The most enjoyable part is working with great people..
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Benefits
Great environment, family owned business
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJune 24, 2016
American Classifieds of Pueblo is a family owned business. The owner has only been running the business as the Publisher for just over a year. Prior he worked for American Classifieds for 30 years.
Since the new Publisher took over there was a lot of changes and learning curves to get through.

The management was a veteran sales consultant that was put into the title of manager, she had little to no managing skills and caused the sales team a lot of animosity. A couple of sales gals put in their notice because they didn't want to work with the new management.

When I left it was a work in progress to bring unity back to the team but it was starting to get better.

My fellow co-workers were great women and enjoyable to work with. They were always willing to help and teach you what they new.

The hardest part of my job was having to learn a lot by trial and error and starting from ground zero. Walking in as a new sales person you work on a 100% commissions with no guaranteed and zero advertisers. It made it hard to keep a roof over your head. The job also didn't offer any benefits. Advertisers were not allowed to go door to door, we had to put in a prospect sheet first and get them signed off before we could speak with new leads. Since I left I think the Publisher realized things needed to change and now is offering some existing accounts along with a guarantee.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my clients. I loved being out in the field meeting and talking to new people everyday and building relationships with my regulars.
Pros
Working with clients and being involved in community events
Cons
Zero Benefits, 100% commisions with no guarentee, wasn't offered established accounts to get you going, had to build your own.
Management at American Classifieds
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 29, 2016
Open business 5 days a week Monday - Friday. handle all phone calls, walk-in customers, dealt with up to 20+ employees in a day. Handled A/P & A/R, dealt with vendors. Trained new employees from outside sales, inside sales, route drivers and managers. Team player, believe in family first. Worked with commercial clients setting up their advertisement needs. Loved working with people. Hardest things I dealt with were dismissing a employee.
Pros
Meeting great people in the community.
Cons
Dealing with angry customers or abusive employee.
Productive and great environment!!!
Distribution Manager, Print Manager (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 16, 2016
American classifieds is most defiantly the best job I've ever had! the people you work with are amazing, there is no limit to what you can make . It is laid back and you work to your best ability, the CEO works with you to ensure success! I would tell anyone i know to work here!
Quiet and welcoming work enviornment
Graphic Artist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NM 88240September 1, 2016
Most days were slow, but Mondays and Tuesday were the busiest. I learned more about the graphic design world.
My management was directed mostly at the main office, and not ours, so we were often forgot about.
I had one co-worker in my office, and spent most of my days alone.
I enjoyed building ads and building the paper, but it was difficult to keep the paper full with the economy.
Pros
Set schedule, flexiable lunch hours
Cons
1 co-worker, minimal time with our manager
Organized office with rock and roll
Office/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work included organized chaos with classic rock and roll music. The whole office loved to dance and laugh while working. The hardest part of the job were the weekly deadlines. I learned how the work under pressure and still be organized. My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job.
New business venture to sell print advertising.
Digital & Print sales / Classified Advertising (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Very fast pased and energetic. Family owned business and no advancement opportunities. Production department very understaffed and deadlines hard to make.
Pros
Few sales people, account lists were available.
Cons
Very cheap rates. Commision was hard to acheive.
Fun and a great job to meet people.
Newspaper girl (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CoJanuary 11, 2012
I love working for the American Classifieds because I travel through the springs area to different shops!! I meet people as well!! I resently had a son and I still had my job when I was able to work again!! My boss is a great person to work for!!!
Pros
i drive around delivering papers, i don't have constant supervison.
Cons
i don't receive benifits.
Worst company I ever worked for
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Boise, IdahoFebruary 17, 2016
The owner of the Boise American Classifieds has serious issues. Saw him literally on top of a desk screaming at an employee. Work life balance horrible. Not sure if lights will stay on or not because his book keeping is non existent and horrible.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Terrible boss, terrible pay
Very fast paced production on a daily time limit
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 3, 2013
I was an out side account executive. I would come in email proofs of advertising spots to run that week for approval. Go out and solicit new accounts while maintaining my weekly list. Make sure all spots were approved before they ran in our weekly paper. Increased revenue and account list 40% in the first year. Loved my job and everyone I worked with
Pros
Worked with very great team;tickets to any upcoming event!
Cons
short breaks, very tedious, long hours
I loved my sales job, Loved everyone there, We were as close as family, however the business had to make some cut backs. Very unfortunate I was one
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Mobile and surrounding areasAugust 20, 2012
Meeting at 8 am. Go to office cold call, try and set up appointments for the week. Go to existing customers,as well as building accounts. Management was awesome,as well as co-workers. The hardest part of my job was having to work alot of hours. Meeting new people learning new things.Proving just how ease it is to build accounts if you work!
Pros
very busy, meeting with new clients, most important of them all generating new business for you as well as clients, loving watching all your hard work pay off, etc
Cons
very competitive world in sales, working in the heat in summer
great place to work
Sales Representative/Marketing (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJanuary 18, 2016
too much positive to mention...id be here forever.!!!!! inside/outside sales . lots of driving to businesses I solicited asking each client to give me the opportunity in helping their business grow & and generate sales. I did all my invoicing & collections from each client.
Pros
conventions.sales awards
Stay away from this place!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYSeptember 21, 2015
not a great place, no advancement opportunities, management is terrible. Management has ran all the good people off, repeat, stay away from this place!
On the Decline
General Manager and Share Holder, Greensboro, NC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2014
This classified advertising company has lost the print franchise in all markets due to the growth of the Internet. It's just an industry that's disappearing. Good people are just having to re-invent and adapt to new careers.
Pros
Fair and friendly management
Great fellow co-workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 6, 2015
Management was not a pleasant person to deal with. The owner was a very self-centered person and acted like his employees were not good enough to even speak to.
Bosses were a little crazy, but very understanding
Front Counter Sales/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 10, 2013
Once you get the hang of your job, the bosses cut the apron strings and let you do it! They also understood sick time and family leave very well. The pay was not very good, but there was room for you to increase it through commission.
Pros
long lunches, good hours
Cons
bosses are a little crazy
So nice!
Ad Taker (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMay 7, 2013
I loved working for American Classifieds. The staff was amazing, and honestly just all over very nice to be around. The owner is a wonderful person and really cares about his employees.
Pros
Great lunch break time, fair pay, great schedule, great management
Cons
Sometimes very fast paced, but is that really bad? Not really
Very challenging and encouraging job
Delivery Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 29, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this job. I had a supervisor who was a great example to bosses everywhere. He really cared about his delivery employees. I was allowed to develop a spreadsheet system that was efficient and productive. I managed to reduce my work by more than half, while increasing this department's responsibilities immensely. I found this job challenging and enjoyable.
Fun workplace except rude callers, very productive
Reception Mon-Wed & Fri Thurs Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 26, 2013
Loved my manager, hardest part was dealing with call backs to rude people. I answered the phones & entered ads into the computer. Thursdays I got to deliver the papers & get out of the office. Good health insurance!
Pros
easy work environment & breaks whenever needed
Cons
health insurance &friendly co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Classifieds. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2