American College Of Cardiology Employee Reviews

A non-profit run by the big pharma
Digital Analytics Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2017
The American College of Cardiology has a relaxed, but deceiving atmosphere with half-day Fridays and good benefits. But it is not all it is cracked up to be. Middle management does not really know how to manage, but instead lets good talent go to waste. The work environment is often cliquish.

While there are many long term employees there is also an undercurrent of constant turnover and random disappearances. It's not your average non-profit, but is instead a stealth big-pharma offshoot.
Pros
Half Day Fridays
Cons
Middle Management
Awesome place to work!
Business Analyst , Science and Quality (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2017
Its a great work life balance! Work is appreciated by seniors. I enjoy coming to work each day. There is a sense of achievement in the work performed. The leadership is interested in employee's skills growth and development.
Stay Away
HR Business Partner Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2017
If you are interested in mediocrity, no advancement, awful management who rely on favoritism, then by all means, join this organization. Although the work/life balance is touted as favorable here, you will find very little of this, instead working every weekend.
Work life balance
Education Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
Is great. Allowed up to 2 telework days and vacation is provided at the beginning of the year. Most supervisors are understanding of work life balance.
Great organization
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2017
The American College of Cardiology is a great organization with an important mission. Most people, including the CEO, are very friendly and down to earth.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Nice work-life balance
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMay 30, 2017
The ACC is generally a positive place to work with energetic and committed staff. Sometimes there's so much great team building and staff perks going on that it's hard to get the work done. That said, it's a great place and the work does get done.

The new CEO restructured to create a "flat" organization. This has been confusing and frustrating for a lot of staff. It seems to have pushed out many of the mid-level jobs, so that there are two levels associates and team leads. Then there's a huge leap to the top, so it's not quite flat. It's flat with a big peak in the middle.

The work environment is excellent with beautiful well-maintained offices in a great location. Coffee and filtered water provided by the organization in kitchens on every floor.
Have their own definition of "Flattened."
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2017
I had a friend recommend me to this company. She had been here 5 years. Within six months of my joining, she resigned.
Turns out, just before I joined, the organization "flattened." They cut out a lot of the middle management positions and instead put everyone into 3 buckets: Associate, Team Lead, Executive.

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to be promoted. One of my colleagues was finally promoted to Team Lead after FOUR YEARS of performing his associate duties as well as the duties of a Team Lead.

A lot of the Team Leads were put there based on seniority instead of skill. If you've been here 15 years, chances are you will be a team lead eventually. And you will probably be a team lead for another 15 years.

There aren't many positions to move into. Most people are either here for a year or two, or are here for 10+ years.

Communication is HORRIBLE. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, even within divisions. Requirements and expectations are NOT clearly communicated and often vary depend on who you talk to. (e.g. Person A expects this from me, Person B expects the opposite from me. Person A is my direct supervisor. Person B is Person A's direct supervisor).

Goals are set from the top down. As a low-level employee, you have no say on what your goals are going to be. You have to meet arbitrary milestones set by someone who has no idea what you do. My supervisor tells me he doesn't care about goals, but that is how we are measured for our annual review.

Overall, I really like my peers. We get along well and all feel the same woes. But at the same time,
  more... there is gossip, passive aggression and one-upmanship.

The best thing about this organization is it's benefits package. It's fantastic.

That's it.
Overall
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2016
Very hard to advance. Promotions are few and far between. If you join this company it is for the mission--not for your own personal growth.
However, great people and environment!
Great Experience
Graphic Designer (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2016
Although I've only worked as a temporary graphic designer, I was able to feel very comfortable working with other employees at ACC. Co-workers are very friendly, and helpful. I can tell ACC cares for their employees by sharing delicious food. and the interior is wonderful.
Pros
Free Lunches, Friendly Co-workers, Clean, Down to Earth
very good workplace
Senior Specialist Web Editor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2016
very good workplace. all co-workers and supervisors were the best.
well provided for. had all the best computers and software. beautiful offices in la jolla.
Pros
GYM on site, Doctor's meeting catering
Cons
Different time zone to many assosiates
Great place to work, great people!
Audio/Video Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2016
Operates multi-media equipment. Responsible for all technical aspects of production, ensuring picture, sound and lighting quality to meet or exceed applicable commercial standards in the broadcast/recording industries. Sets-up audio-visual equipment as required to optimize briefings, presentations and meetings; installs/operates podiums, audio mixing consoles, audio distribution systems, sound reinforcement systems, digital/analog audio recorders, and teleprompter systems and broadcast lighting systems. Ability to install/operate high-quality audio/video distribution, sound reinforcement/lighting systems in support of the event; schedules and maintains the calendar for conferences, and associated peripheral and administrative support required for each.
Excellent place to work
Manager of Document Development (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 4, 2015
It was a great company to work for with great people,great environment and good benefits. I only left so I could raise my family.
Pros
Positive environment
Great Company to work for
Sr. Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2014
Great Company to work for. Fun and knowledgeable staff. Great opportunity to gain insight into healthcare systems and Cardiology practices.
Another Day, Another Opportunity
EA to the CLO/SVP of Lifelong Learning (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2013
Coming into my office I find a daily invigoration that I will affect change today. I provide a wide range of operational and strategic support taking assignments, carrying them out and reporting back, with supervisory oversight from other executives when necessary. I provide Division-wide project management and support for programs housed in the ACC's Lifelong Learning Division. Internal management of volunteer physician member committees and work groups that oversee Lifelong Learning and Education Quality; project support to ACC's governance operations, senior leadership, and Board of Trustees; meeting and event planning and coordination; Sharepoint and social media administration; special assistance to the Chief Learning Officer and Senior Vice President of Lifelong Learning; and ongoing projects for various educational programs and initiatives. I am a strong team player with a positive can-do attitude with high ethical standards, and I am capable of carrying out multiple projects while prioritizing tasks.

I have learned that ACC is a member organization that would allow me to autonomously create and execute my ideas with either success or failure all the while providing the best cardiac education to patients, members and staff that is tops in the industry. I had many opportunities to work with world leading cardiologists in committee meetings and work groups to plan the future of education in cardiology. I found I needed to stay alert and attuned to my environment to creat opportunities. This helped me figure out how I might shift my work in a direction that really
  more... mattered. One of the biggest things I learned was to have space on my schedule so I could clearly think if I was focusing on the right things for me. This provided me clarity and allowed me to work on other things I found important to me. When I signed up for a project that spanned across the entire organization's businesses, hierarchies and function specialities and working on our new code of conduct, I found that I was able to gain experience across business lines outside of my comfort zone and silo.

My immediate manager is a wonderful human being and the consummate professional. She taught me two very important lessons. First, always speak of others as they are sitting right next to you. This has helped me keep my ethics and reputation in check. Secondly, continue to work on my delegating skills. I look back retrospectively on this repeatedly to remind myself that I advanced in my management career primarily excelling at operational work, but kept going at it long after I could have delegated it to others. While this is a general departure from my authentic behavior and comfort zone, I usually find that I have gained back a good portion of my day to do other work or projects I had passion on. My annual evaluations she writes that I exceed expectations and that I am one of the most dependable and flexible person on her staff. I think this is mostly because of my ability to act as an air traffic controller for the division with confidence while representing her and her office with transparency and integrity. I have to handle change, challenges, and tasks with an open mind and willingness to adapt to the surroundings. I remain confident, not arrogant and an always who I am, not who I think you want me to be allowing me to represent the office I work for.

I feel the leadership team was great. They maintain a deep sense of belonging together while honoring your autonomy. They are genuine with getting to know you and your interests and how can they contribute to your work and personal goals and aspirations. These personal connections create a trust that not many will ever experience.

My colleagues are simply a fantastic group of people to know and partner with. I am fortunate to be surrounded by smart, caring and funny bunch. My co-workers often notice that I have a positive outlook and can make other people smile. They say I have a cool head with others. Most of my colleagues have noted that I am nearly the last one to leave in the evening ensuring we are set and prepared for the next day. Through my experiences, I continued to learn different management styles, thought processes, and strategies for maintaining cooperation in a group project setting.

There is nothing in my current position that I find overly difficult. There are aspects of the position I enjoy more than others. I find great joy in being of service to a C-Suite executive, members of a medical speciality association and interacting in a strong, intelligent and supportive environment. I express the most passion for those tasks most important to my role and enjoy least those tasks that are unimportant to my current position.

My current job has been wonderful because I get to split my time between creative and organizational tasks. I love having that duality, because when I get stuck on the creative stuff, I can switch gears and do the organizational stuff. It’s nice being stimulated by my work. I love being able to be proud of the work I do, asking people to support missions that I believe are important. I appreciate the autonomy (amidst camaraderie in the department), the fact that my boss will always intervene if necessary and having coworkers in roles that that they love.
Pros
Work / Life Balance, Comprehensive Employee Benefits, Generous Vacation Package
Cons
High Attrition, Slow Advancement
Productive and fun place to work
Product Owner | Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2013
Great Team and Great people and cause to work for. Patient Safety is very important in the work you do at the college
.net developer/sharepoint developer
Sr.Technical Consultant for .Net/Sharepoint (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2013
looking for the positions only in MD, VA, DC area. It was really nice working their and i have various certifications.
A great place to work
Associate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington DCApril 6, 2013
A great place to work with people who were knowledgeable and informative. I made many contacts and friends while i was there
High turnover rate here...your are replaceable.
Senior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2013
The culture at ACC has changed. It used to be such a great place but has gone downhill fast. No mentorship at all, your given assignments with such little directions or planning. So much work is double work because management is so back and forth it can't make a decision or doesn't disclose everything for the assignment. In the last 3 years the turn over has been astounding people are here one day and gone the next which has created a culture of fear for our jobs. People are very unhappy, overworked, and leaving or trying to leave for a reason. No career development opportunities and very limited advancement.
Pros
decent pay and benefits.
Cons
to many to list...you are replaceable is the attitude.
ACC is a non-profit member organization providing excellent services and support for their membership.
Director, Logistics (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2012
I was encouraged to learn new skills and grow with the organization during my 15 year tenure. It is unfortunate that a combination of rapid staff growth and an unforeseen economic downturn resulted in the elimination of my job. I greatly enjoyed my work during the time I was there and had no intention of leaving this organization. In fact, I was hoping to still be with them until I was ready to retire.