American Conservation Experience Employee Reviews

Traumatized after 3 months
Volunteer member (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz / south Lake TahoeJuly 12, 2015
I was sexually harassed by my crew leader. He was a 30 year old loser creep, that hit on all his young crew members and engaged in dangerous behavior in the back country. even after talking to the CEO of the company they did little to nothing about the situation. The crew leader got to keep his job and got no punishment. Because of how uncomfortable I was still having to live around my harasser and still getting no support from anyone, I left early and no one helped me receive my education award even after accomplishing required hours.
They advertise how much they do for you but without the volunteer the company is nothing. You spend more money going there then what you get back. Everyone should be getting a stipend even if you only volunteer three months. You'll be wanting that stipend when you are putting in hard manual labor for these people. Be careful, this company takes advantage of the volunteers.
Cons
Unprofessional
Long hours, hard physical labor and lots of field time
Americorps Intern (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZNovember 3, 2013
I mostly worked on a project to conserve the environment of a threatened bird species in Eastern Arizona. Most days were spent navigating and managing a crew of volunteers while hiking through the woods in an organized fashion.
Pros
Lots of time outdoors, lots of work with a GPS and managing a crew of volunteers
Cons
The 8 days on 6 days off schedule left me physically exhausted
Incredible growing and learning experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZOctober 1, 2012
My 3 months at ACE taught me valuable lessons about myself, others, and the environment. Every coworker I had was unique in and of themselves, yet still managed to work happily with teams of up to 14 people.
Pros
free housing and food on days of work.
Cons
no salary
Amazing experience and hard work
Americorps Professional Development Mentor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 8, 2012
The best choice that I have made so far in my life was to join ACE. I was able to meet many friends that I will have for life through this program and gained so much experience in conservation work and living and working in a group setting. Definitely recommend this!
Pros
new friends, learned alot, lived in beautiful places
Cons
the food is nice, but gets a little old after a few months

American Conservation Experience Reviews by Job Title