American Cruise Lines

American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

nice learning experiance-voyage
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Guilford, CTMay 23, 2015
Pros: lobster meals, great dinners, wonder full sights, nice pay
Cons: hard long hours, minimum sleep, bi weekly pay, disorganized staff, and horrible hospitality to employees
American cruise lines is a all American cruise for a special occasion with great chefs with young vibrant eager employees. A typical day at work will consist of having no life of your own for 3 months, working long hard hours minimum 14 hours a day,dedicating your time, energy, and undivided attention to our passengers-guest. I learned I get motion sickness really bad without a smooth ride across the sea. the hardest part of my job was waking up early and going to bed around 2am and repeating the cycle for a few weeks until I left. the most enjoyable part of the job was eating 5 star dinners every night and capturing great sights from the ship.
RUN! this place is a BEATING!
Inside sales (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, utApril 30, 2015
Mostly outbound calls. I hope you like leaving messages. On the RARE occasion that you get an inbound call, it will be for an agent that's been there for years. Expect commission check of about $50/week unless you stay for more that 6 months. The benefits are SO BAD that management never brings them up. STAY AWAY!

May 5, 2015

All new hires are specifically described the full list of benefits during each step of the hiring process. At each interview, we thoroughly review the details of the job with every candidate to be sure that they understand the job description, hours, commission structure, benefits and working environment. Our sales jobs are driven by numbers as every growth-oriented business knows. Sincerely, - American Cruise Lines

Good, growing company. Great stepping stone into industry
Deckhand/Helmsman (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 14, 2015
Enjoyed my time aboard their vessel, and look forward to continuing in an advanced position. I recommend prior experience with boating while considering this job though. Training people to adjust to boat life took away from the actual work.

April 17, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad you enjoy working with American Cruise Lines and see the opportunities that exist within our company. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our organization and procedures. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

fun work place and you can save alot while doing it
Steward on call (Former Employee), CTApril 10, 2015
Pros: no off days
Cons: you make alot off money that you save, & you get 3hour break to relax and go shopping off the boat
You get a chance to travel for free, and all expenses are paid for
Easy out going job work 7 days 8 to 10 hours a day room and board paid for you earn your keep through your work

April 17, 2015

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Hearing from current and former employees about their work experience helps us to better our organization. Onboard positions are challenging jobs and we make this clear in posted job descriptions and during the interview process. We're glad you had a positive experience working on our cruise ship and wish you best of luck in the future, Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

Just a Temp Job
Deckhand (Current Employee), Guilford, CTApril 8, 2015
its straight i just came for the experience not that good on the pay but i need the sea time so sticking with it.dont really like the hotel managers all want to be in control but there should be just one leader.
Good job for a single person looking to travel
Hotel Manager (Former Employee), Guilford, CTMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great travel and pay
Cons: management, and too much time away from family, no balance.
It is a good job, well paid, unfortunately the job insecurity is extremely uncertain, sometimes management gets rid of staff after their 90 day trial to prevent from benefits kicking in, and that creates for a bad job culture, therefore affecting employees state of mind.

April 17, 2015

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working with American Cruise Lines. We regret you feel that staffing decisions were made purely from a benefits standpoint and that the working environment was affected by this. Running a successful cruise line is not easy and decisions are made by weighing a number of factors to ensure we are as productive and efficient as possible. We are glad you considered this a good job and wish you success in the future. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

Deceptive about job and pay
Supposed to be a Steward (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaMarch 12, 2015
Pros: My roommate was nice
Cons: Everything else (read the contract carefully if you decide to take a job here)
So I was hired in Phoenix as a Steward for ACL and was told the pay would be between $500 and $700 a week for a 12 week period. Sounded great to me and I wanted to get experience as a server anyway. So they sent me a ticket, ( I wish I had read the reviews here first). I get to Jacksonville, Florida and was taken to a small boat, I wouldn't even really consider it a ship. Although our meals are provided, the drinks are not, and they charge $7 for a soda. First rip-off.
You are treated somewhat like a prisoner, or the military. You have to be in your room at 10, lights out at 12. Up and ready for inspection at 6:00. And I mean INSPECTION! We were not allowed to leave the boat for any reason, (it was in a very bad area, should have been my first clue)

I was not told when I was hired that my job would entail an evaluation and when I did not clean the rooms fast enough(which is also part of a stewards job on this boat) I was told that they would not hire me as a steward but they would hire me as a galley steward, or dishwasher. I would no longer get the bonus at the end of the 12 weeks and my pay would go from $500 to $200 a week, PLUS at the end of the tour I would have to pay for my own flight back to Phoenix WHAT????? (They will only pay for your flight home if you don't accept the job with them.)

I did not quit my regular job to be a dishwasher for less than minimum wage. You work from sunup to 9:00 pm or later. Crazy hours.

So I told them I was not going to accept that position and I was told I had to go to my room,(closet) and stay there until my ride to – more... the airport the next day. If I left my room they would not pay for my ticket home. Sort of like a blackmail thing. The captain was a straight up A---hole.
Then the next morning they forgot two of the other people who were leaving. I think of the 16 that arrived when I did, only about 4 stayed. I also found out from talking to a few of the other employees who had been there for a while that they never hire Stewards under the age of 25 and you never get to be a manager until you are in your 30's. I'm 18. So it's pretty obvious that when they hired me they knew they weren't going to keep me on as a Steward.

Oh and they sent me a list of things I would need to have before I flew out there, such as two pairs of Khaki pants, white tennis shoes, a watch, white t-shirts and socks etc. I spent at least $150 on clothes. Then I get there and they had Khaki pants and shirts etc for us, so those things were not really necessary. AND they will take money out of your first paycheck for those clothes and I even heard from others they make you reimburse the plane tickets.

Be careful about reading the contract you sign at your interview!!!! They don't tell you that you are going to have to pay back the plane ticket if you don't show up. – less

April 3, 2015

At American Cruise Lines we do our best to be honest in all posted job descriptions and interviews. We understand onboard positions are very demanding physically and require certain fortitude to accomplish. We strive to express the demanding work that certain positions entail and regret if anyone expected different. We also understand that not everyone will always get along with their co-workers or supervisors. We value the feedback of current and former employees and continuously review our policies and management to ensure the best working environment. Sincerely, - American Cruise Lines

April 9, 2015

April 17, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. At American Cruise Lines we are honest in all posted job descriptions and interviews about what the positions entail. We make it very clear that onboard positions are physically demanding, include long hours and require a certain fortitude to accomplish. We strive to fully express the challenging work that certain positions call for and regret if anyone expected different. Many deckhands and stewards enjoy their experience on our cruise ships although we understand the work is not for everyone. We also understand that not everyone will always get along with their co-workers or supervisors. We value the feedback of current and former employees and continuously review our policies and management to ensure the best working environment. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

beautiful views thats it.
Server/Steward (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: free food, free living, beautiful views
Cons: horrible pay, long hours, no benefits, no breaks
you work all day reep no rewards. by the time you are finished with your shift you have maybe 2 hours to be out before boat curfew takes in effect.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Guilford, CTFebruary 8, 2015
Enter invoices and pay them.
I have learned a lot in the field of accounting.
Co-Workers are great very helpful
The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with higher up in the company
Fun place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Sandy, UTJanuary 30, 2015
Great employees, convenient hours and supervisors. Only a select few individuals can afford their product. Cruises range from $10,000 and up, definitely not for everbody
Queen of the West and all her pride and glory.
Steward (Former Employee), Guilford, CTOctober 28, 2014
Pros: people, free room and board, great work experience
Cons: 11-14 hour days, management, lack of sleep
Its a lot of hard work. If you aren't willing to give up the outside world then its not the job for you. For an entire three months its very unlikely you'll have a lot of contact with the outside would. You will work from about 6 a.m. till 9 p.m. Everyday with a 2 hour break most days. Management could do a better job at managing. For my first month we were constantly running out of things and that doesn't just reflect badly in management it cuts into your tips so your not getting paid as you should because someone else cant do there jobs correctly. My assistant Manager were great though. We we were understaffed they would get down and dirty to help us the best they could. One of them got into the dish pit just so we would still go through meal service smoothly. The ships are usually full with drama but it doesn't last for very long. A lot of the staff is pretty young and still don't understand how to act like adults all the time, you have to constantly remember that your not in high school anymore and the drama is seriously unnecessary. The best part of the job is meeting all the people that decide to come on the boat and traveling to all the different people. I couldn't have asked for a better ship.
Steward
Steward- Server/Galley/Housekeeping (Former Employee), Pacific NorthWestOctober 7, 2014
Hardest part of the job was living with your co-workers and the passengers.
I loved being able to interact with the passengers and meeting different people.
a typical day at work was serving and housekeeping.
Great place to work.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee), Hartford, CTOctober 1, 2014
Pros: away from land
Cons: away from land
Great place to be if you enjoy new experiences and a great team.
Amazing people, and opportunity
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: saving money, never having to spend money for anything
Cons: not enough time to do the things you'd like to do
Great experience would do it again. the people you'll meet along this trip will be irreplaceable. the landscapes you'll sail across will be a one in a life time thing.
Invaluable Hospitality Experience!!
Cruise Director/Assistant Hotel Manager (Former Employee), Guilford, CTApril 15, 2014
Pros: traveling, saving money, gaining experience, resume builder, team atmosphere
Cons: long hours
I worked for American Cruise Lines as a cruise director after I graduated college for about 2 years. If you are looking to gain experience in the hospitality industry this is the best way to do it. As a college grad I was able to travel while gaining experience in this unique environment. I was able to pay the majority of my student loans and fall in love with the current city I live in. I attribute securing my current career in the event planning industry to having worked for ACL.

If you are considering getting into the hospitality industry or are already working in the field you have to be prepared to work nights weekends and holidays. If you have a good attitude, work ethic and are not attached to "home" this is the ideal job for you. The schedule is about 8 weeks on and 1-2 weeks off. Once you get into the routine it is actually rewarding in many ways. I have a great work ethic now and appreciate my 2 days off more than anyone. With having 1-2 weeks off at a time you are able to travel or relax at home. I don't know any other job where you are able to have so much consecutive vacation time plus winters off!

The thing that I appreciated the most was that they value family. I was onboard while 2 of my grandparents passed away. They flew me home immediately and flew me back without a question. They were so understanding of family emergencies with all employees.

This experience looks great on your resume and sets you apart from all other candidates. You gain hands on invaluable experience in food and beverage, housekeeping, fine dining, planning, and customer service. Once you accomplish a season with ACL you can look ahead confidently knowing that you are prepared for anything that comes your way!
horrible company
Deckhand (Former Employee), Guilford, CTMarch 19, 2014
mind-numbing and body aching work for no apprecitaion, and will never pay you what was originally promissed
Based Off Of My Experiences
Galley Steward (Former Employee), Washington, USAFebruary 17, 2014
My experience with ACL taught me to patience, understanding, and responsibilities aboard the ship and out at sea.
long days, good pay
Executive Chef (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 3, 2014
The work can make for long weeks and days, but the pay is good. I recommend them to anyone.
3 Month job away from home, lots of traveling! Awesome experience!
Ship Attendant (Former Employee), Guilford, CTJanuary 8, 2014
Traveled to the port dock of the ship by train or plane, and worked on the cruise for a minimum of usually three months. ACL has four different cruises which vary to which destination you will have, sometimes you may work on more than one cruise if they become short staffed. Great for out of high school applicants who love to travel and who don't mind serving prepared plates to guest for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Hard work but enjoyable
Deckhand (Former Employee), Groton, CtDecember 27, 2013
Pros: enteraction with customers
Cons: long hours
First experience working on cruise ship. Enjoyed the atmosphere and engaging with customers.

1 2 3

About American Cruise Lines

American Cruise Lines operates the world’s newest fleet of cruise ships specializing in a unique style of small ship cruising – Read more

American Cruise Lines Salaries

Deckhand
$2,500 per month
Steward
$35,000 per year

American Cruise Lines Photos

A shot of the crew from The American Star
The American Star, one of our ships
A deckhand and a beautiful shot of the Queen of the West