American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Dont do it
Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 12, 2017
Money is good.
Management is not. Shoreside is a mess, no one can get on the same page about anything.
Very disorganized.
There is no emergency training.
Everyone is just kind of winging it and its obvious.
Completely false information given to you during interview
Cook (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 27, 2017
First of all, KEEP LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT JOB!!! Do not waste your time with this company. Unless you like working for A. Incompetent management ( young, unprofessional, two faced, back stabbing, lacking experience, in need of psychological help, and LAZY)
B. Extremely low wages (stewards= $5.10/hr, chefs = $8.00/hr)
C. Uninhabitable living quarters ( extremely cramped, mine had the smell of sewage the whole time I was there, when told to repair and/or replace it (3X's) , then told 2 more people, the problem was never fixed!
D. Long hours (on average 14.5 hour days)
then this job is for you!
Cont.... HR paints a pretty picture, do not believe them!
Pros
Crickets chirping
Cons
Mentioned in my review
Deckhand
Deckhand seasonal (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 14, 2017
I can honestly say I loved this job. Backhand hours very but it is fun working on these shops. You meet new people your job isn't stressful. Room and board, food cable and etc is paid for.
Long days on the water
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 4, 2017
This was my first real job, and where I learned what it really meant to work. Working every day, just about 12-15 hours. That ship would not run if it wasn't for the stewards on board.

Every day having to set up for breakfast, serve breakfast. Clean the rooms and all guest areas making sure that everything was to standards. Moving on to setting up and serving lunch. Nap time. Then to set up and serve dinner. To end the evening with late night snack and turn down service.

Sounds like a lot right ? But I loved every minute of it.
Good job if you don't need time to yourself
Steward (Former Employee) –  Columbia and snake riversJune 21, 2017
I loved my job the first few weeks. 84 hours a week you'll be working non stop. I learned more than I ever imagined. . When I hit a month I decided never having enough sleep or down time was too much for me. Every week 3-4 people quit because of one reason, no down time. You'll work sleep and do it again every day. Management NEEDS to give people a longer mid day break or allow us to get off earlier or you'll have a new crew every week. Great experience other than that.
Pros
Crew meals are good and consistent, amazing guests, nice co workers
Cons
Living quarters, short breaks, no personal time what so ever.
Like a sinking ship
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJune 20, 2017
I worked for American Cruise Lines for over a year and a half
I'll start by saying this :
Every company had its positives and negatives, Benefits and shortfalls so this is only my perspective.

The positives are everyone is super nice and there is a good team environment and true to their word there is room for growth as they do like to promote or hire from with in.

The good stops there
Management is horrible and you can take your job description and throw it out the attitude is make it happen / get it done (this is where working and the advantages of the team work ethic helps)
Pay is OK Benefits and time off are absolute trash

There is never any performance or work evaluation unless you ask for one and thus never any raise in your pay unless you pester them which is a good business strategy for the company as most people just won't ask.

Work life balance is poor at best and there is little to none company activities, team building, events or social activities just work, work, work

Again every company has their shortfalls but as you read the reviews you will see the same issues being discussed again and again.
Take it for what it's worth
Pros
Everyone is super nice, they do promote from with in
Cons
Poor work/life balance high pressure long work hours
Cruise ship
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 30, 2017
A lot of work works 84 hours in a week. Stood for long periods of time, did laundry, took care of passengers, drove ship with captain did maintenance work.
High stress environment. Work hard, play hard.
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  Mississippi RiverMay 30, 2017
Working here was a lot of work. You may feel at times like you are treated like a dog. Management is always expecting more out of you. It is as if nothing is ever enough as far as your production is concerned. You meet a lot of cool people to work with and perhaps even at the ports. In order to work here you must have thick skin. You are working with the same people through all the highs and lows of the day and need to know how to not take things personally when someone yells at you due to stress.
Pros
Meet fun and new people. See new places. Make a lot of money through over time.
Cons
No time to reset your inner balance. Minimal time for sleep.
Category Leader with Opportunity for Growth
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 30, 2017
American Cruise Lines is a growing company, who seeks to maintain and strengthen their leadership position within the category.
Privately held, they offer their employees the flexibility to try new and innovative ways to drive the business. The company has an entrepreneurial spirit, and they will allow you the opportunity to lead. The company shows no signs of slowing down and wants to recruit the best talent to help lead the way.
Pros
Good people to work with, Opportunity for growth, Open to change
Cons
Internal Communications could be stronger
Slaveship
Director of Digital Marketing (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 23, 2017
This company does not appreciate its employees on the ships or in the corporate office. Ownership and sons pretend to be responsible, but don't listen to those around them to improve. Worked for the company for three years and disliked almost every bit of it. Crazy becomes the norm at ACL.
Pros
Cons
management doesn't appreciate the people working for them, everyone is expendable
Awesome Opportunity
Hotel Service Member (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2017
A lot of hard work but extremely rewarding with great experience and opportunities to grow personally and professionally. Great way to see new places and save money.
Pros
Saving money, build experience
Cons
No days off
Nice
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2017
Great place to work. 7 days a week work schedule. 12 hr shifts a day. If you can get over the hours of work this can be a great way to save up some cash.
Fun people to work with
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2017
Great job if you can keep up with the work schedule. You work 7 days a week and always On your feet. Great team work regardless if you get along with your co-works, for the most part everyone is cool.
Pros
Great money and you can eat as much as u want
Cons
work 7 days a week
Dont work here
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 20, 2017
They overwork all their employees, you share a room with 4 or more people and there is no personal boundaries. A typical day was waking up at 7am and working throughout the dady with an hour break from 2-3 or 1-3 depending on how quick cleanup was. After you clocked back in youre working until 10pm or later with an 11pm curfew so you cant even enjoy your time off. Some management since we switched so much on the boat were so condescending I have never felt so belittled before. If you're sick during your internship don't even think for a second they would be okay with that. They only follow protocols if corporate is on the ship and then everything is super strict, which is okay if it was that way all the time. Overall not worth youre time if you want a fun internship or job. If you like working for a company that doesn't care for you go ahead. Even the chefs on our ship had started to make gross lunches and someone from corporate had to step in and say it was not okay.
Pros
free room and board.
Cons
everything
Sail
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMarch 29, 2017
A schedule would be greatly enforce by staff to make for a productive day. Management was great at problem solving and always had a smile on for everyone.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Work everyday
Depends on your perspective...
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMarch 22, 2017
I had the pleasure of being a deckhand on The American Glory. The crew makes or breaks your time at sea. Very demanding and responsible work but you will you gain valuable life experiences. Keep an open mind, listen to your crew and be thankful a company is allowing you to work at sea. You will work majority of the time so just control what you can and be mindful about your gratuities/pay. This company is a solid stepping stool if you are looking for a career in the Maritime Industry. If you can complete a contract with ACL you will be credible in the industry moving forward; I promise you that. I've shook hands with guests who have open doors for me in other jobs. The captains and management are well beyond knowledgeable and provide the keys to success.
Pros
Views, Relationships, and Sea Time
Cons
Rushed us during meals
fun team/great experience
Steward (Former Employee) –  MississippiFebruary 12, 2017
worked 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 weeks straight. no days off. constantly on my feet. set up, served and cleaned up after 3 meals a day and ran a cocktail hour in between,
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2017
Great place to work, if you love to travel and see great locations. Great staff and Corporate chef is the bomb. Long hours and seven days a week. if you can handle that your are good.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Assistant Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTFebruary 7, 2017
Great company, alot of turnover, long hours, good connections. Will never work for them again but I recommend all hospitality professionals to try out this environment
VERY hard work, not for everyone
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2017
A typical day at work is waking up at 5am, setting the dining room up, serving breakfast to 3-4, 8 tops, then cleaning up the entire kitchen and dining area, then housekeeping - cleaning 8-10 rooms, stripping the sheets, vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, then setting up the dining room for lunch then serving the passengers lunch, then cleaning the kitchen and dining room again, preparing for dinner, then we would all have "special tasks" .. then we have about 30 minutes to shower, eat and get ready for setting up the dining room for dinner then serving the passengers dinner, then desert ...afterwards we clean the dining room and kitchen ...by this time it is 8 at night and you have just worked 15 hours and the best part about this whole thing is what I just listed and went into detail about is your work day EVERY SINGLE DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK! NO days off, ever... unless you quit.
Pros
travel for free
Cons
no days off, no life, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9