American Cruise Lines

American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Productive, demanding work with new experiences
Steward (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Housing paid for, Tips
Cons: Part time
Long hours filled with new experiences, new guests and new places. It was demanding, 110 hours a week, seven days a week. Supportive management and co-workers, almost everyone got along well. I enjoyed working with guest. I served Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, along with house keeping duties and after dining duties.
Would not recommend this company
Guilford executive office- management (Former Employee), GuilfordJune 26, 2015
Pros: The kids that work in the office are great, a sense of camaraderie (misery loves company), food trucks a couple times a year
Cons: Horrible benefits, highly stressful work environment, no job stability, treated like we are disposable, no appreciation, unorganized, no concept of teamwork
Stressful environment, atrocious benefits. Owner and his sons make millions while everyone else makes minimum wage. Benefits are incredibly expensive, multiple times more expensive than similar plans on the exchange market, about $200 every paycheck for a single person for the minimum plan. No maternity leave, terrible PTO, the bare minimum in holidays (Xmas day only, Thanksgiving day only, etc.).The company will go under the second Viking Cruise lines comes to the US. The product is sub-par and a majority of your time is spent dealing with passengers who had a poor experience.

June 29, 2015

ACL has an extremely loyal client base unlikely to jump ship. Those of us at HQ would disagree with the cons listed here. Its a solid company in which you can get ahead and noticed with hard work. The company is growing each year and there is plenty of opportunity to learn and thrive in this work environment.

Poor management. Work and Sleep.
Deckhand (Former Employee), guilford CTJune 19, 2015
Pros: room and food provided, see different parts of the country
Cons: 3 month job, no benefits
Management never complies with rules on the ship. They allowed other crew members to take actions and not be disciplined such as...Sleeping during their shift, coming to work late, getting on the boat drunk, or drinking on the job. I do not believe any of this can be highest quality to work performance. Also work and life don't balance out. 84 hour weeks plus more because you have to get up every time you throw the lines. About 86-90 hours. Pay is okay, though I do believe management on my boat liked to put their hands in the pot. Anyways you do learn a lot and easy way to save money if you can deal with all the stuff.
Great place to work to travel and save money.
2nd Chef (Former Employee), Guilford, CTJune 17, 2015
Pros: Great work environment, pay, and travel.
Cons: Tight living conditions, 6 weeks on to days off
Prepared food items consistently and in compliance with recipes, portioning, cooking and waste control guidelines. Provided courteous and informative customer service in an open kitchen format. Before Dining service effectively produced 400 plus high end h'orderves for quest "happy hour" with minimal time. Systematically tasted and smelled all prepared dishes, and observed color, texture and garnishes. Verified proper portion sizes and consistently attained high food quality standards. Maintained a skilled kitchen staff by properly coaching, counseling and disciplining employees. Collaborated closely with the Food and Beverage Director to conduct staff meetings and resolve service, product and personnel issues. Implemented and supported company initiatives and programs. Consistently kept a clean and safe environment by adhering to all federal, state and local sanitation and safety requirements. Led shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications. Consistently produced exceptional menu items that regularly garnered diners' praise.
One of the more negative employment experiences ive had
Tour Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Guilford, CTJune 16, 2015
Pros: Food trucks sometimes
Cons: Poor benefits and employee incentive. No HR. no reviews. no structure. poor management.
The company is struggling with its growth and is not adequately equipped to operate at the scale at which it can nurture employees long term. A very dangerous place to accept a job. No security whatsoever.
Deceptive about pay and hours worked
steward (Former Employee), the riverJune 15, 2015
Pros: I'll let you know when I come across one
Cons: pay not as advertised; poor management; lack of respect for workers
This company recruits people for their deckhand, steward and galley positions advertising a "12/12/7" motto. This is 12 weeks, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. The positions are temporary and non-renewable. You will pay $270 for the ugly polyester uniforms, and you will pay for your transportation to the ship if you are not placed directly from training. They also lure people in with the promise of $700-$1000 a week. This is inflated and $650 is closer to the reality. Maybe that looks good to you right now sitting there reading Indeed reviews and trying to find a job, but this is $650 for 7 days of hard labor 16 hours a day. Do the math. The reality is, the deckhand position is the only one that is 12 hours. I worked as a steward and the hours are closer to 16 hours a day. As a steward, you are serving 3 meals a day to passengers and in between the breakfast and lunch service you are expected to clean guest rooms. Now, keep in mind your breakfast passengers might linger until 9:15 a.m. for breakfast, giving you less than 2 hours to clean up to 7 guest rooms and then get back in a different uniform to serve lunch. After lunch you will do side work up until about 2:30-3:00 p.m., and depending on your schedule for that day, you might come back to work at 4:15 or 4:45.

You will then work at least until 8:30, probably later, and if your schedule has you as the "8-10" that day, you will work to 10:00 p.m. Sadistic and poorly skilled managers will then schedule you to be a 5:45 a.m. the following day. The managers I've had on my boat are incompetent, petty and rude. – more... There is no respect for you as a worker, nor is there any realistic communication between the dining service and housekeeping service to balance the two areas so workers are released to go do what they have to do in the other area. I was told by a manager that if I didn't finish my rooms, I wouldn't get a lunch break. Is that even legal? I don't think so. To expect people to work non-stop without reasonable rest periods and then put on a 'happy face' to serve another meal service to guests who have paid top dollar to cruise is unrealistic.

I would not recommend this company as an employer. They do not respect the workers and they don't honor their advertising of 12 hours a day. 12 hours a day is enough, but they pile on another 4 hours on top of that. Maybe if the manager could manager and keep people on task,it would be slightly more bearable, but probably not. This company pays you $30 a day. That's it. $30 a day. The rest of your compensation is customer tips. Tips are pooled and divided among all the deckhands, stewards and galley workers. You must work a Saturday turnaround day (when the end of the cruise/beginning of a new cruise with new passengers) starts to get any of the tip pool. If you quit or are fired before Saturday, you won't get any of the tip pool you earned for the time you were there. If the cruise isn't fully booked, that is less passengers contributing to the tip pool so you'll make less. They skirt around minimum wage and labor laws by including 'room and board'. The room I was assigned is about 100 sq. ft, if that, it has 3 beds in it and one shared bathroom. There is only intermittent access to Wi-Fi, not that you have any time to use it anyway. The food ranges from cheap and bad (hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers, lots of rice) to the occasionally fabulous if there are leftovers from the guest meals. All in all, you don't really get enough protein to work the hard labor you are doing on ship. The deckands do all the exterior work and the stewards do most of the interior work. I don't think serving people powdered eggs and pizza and giving them an undersized twin mattress really constitutes 'room and board' enough to justify a $30 daily rate for 16 hours of work. I don't think a manager telling a worker that they don't get a break because they weren't able to perform the impossible is legal, either. This company is skirting labor laws and has up until this point gotten away with it, but judging from the number of disgruntled and angry coworkers I had, I don't think it will be too long before this company is facing a class action lawsuit for abusing the labor laws and overtime pay rates. – less
Lived on cruise ship for 3 months.
Galley Steward (Former Employee), Guilford, CTJune 6, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Short breaks, long hours, living conditions
A typical day at work would start at 5 a.m. and end at 11 p.m, in the kitchen handling multiple kitchen duties. I learned how to use dish washing machines, learned how to cook multiple meals and more. Management was very relaxed but strict in certain areas, due to the high quality service we needed to provide. My co-workers were very helpful as far as having each others back when we didn't know what to do. The hardest part of the job was being gone from home for a long period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel to many states along the Mississippi River.
An extraordinary experience
Deckhand (Former Employee), Mississippi RiverMay 28, 2015
12-14 hours a day, 7days a week, 90 days non-stop. This was probably one of the most difficult things I will ever say I accomplished. The work was not easy, constant stress, it's not easy to keep a 300 foot paddlewheel boat full of old people and stressed out management under control at all times. Every day consisted of hundreds of loads of laundry, cleaning the entire boat, DRIVING the boat, docking the boat, taking care of the passengers, security rounds and all sorts of other miscellaneous jobs. It was extremely hot and humid, especially when down in the more southern states like Louisiana and Mississippi. Even though all of this sounds like a bad review, I enjoyed myself, and I made some good friends and met a lot of awesome people. It was a very positive experience, taught me plenty of work ethic and makes any future job for me seem like a piece of cake.
nice learning experiance-voyage
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Guilford, CTMay 23, 2015
Pros: lobster meals, great dinners, wonder full sights, nice pay
Cons: hard long hours, minimum sleep, bi weekly pay, disorganized staff, and horrible hospitality to employees
American cruise lines is a all American cruise for a special occasion with great chefs with young vibrant eager employees. A typical day at work will consist of having no life of your own for 3 months, working long hard hours minimum 14 hours a day,dedicating your time, energy, and undivided attention to our passengers-guest. I learned I get motion sickness really bad without a smooth ride across the sea. the hardest part of my job was waking up early and going to bed around 2am and repeating the cycle for a few weeks until I left. the most enjoyable part of the job was eating 5 star dinners every night and capturing great sights from the ship.
RUN! this place is a BEATING!
Inside sales (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, utApril 30, 2015
Mostly outbound calls. I hope you like leaving messages. On the RARE occasion that you get an inbound call, it will be for an agent that's been there for years. Expect commission check of about $50/week unless you stay for more that 6 months. The benefits are SO BAD that management never brings them up. STAY AWAY!

May 5, 2015

All new hires are specifically described the full list of benefits during each step of the hiring process. At each interview, we thoroughly review the details of the job with every candidate to be sure that they understand the job description, hours, commission structure, benefits and working environment. Our sales jobs are driven by numbers as every growth-oriented business knows. Sincerely, - American Cruise Lines

Good, growing company. Great stepping stone into industry
Deckhand/Helmsman (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 14, 2015
Enjoyed my time aboard their vessel, and look forward to continuing in an advanced position. I recommend prior experience with boating while considering this job though. Training people to adjust to boat life took away from the actual work.

April 17, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad you enjoy working with American Cruise Lines and see the opportunities that exist within our company. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to better our organization and procedures. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

fun work place and you can save alot while doing it
Steward on call (Former Employee), CTApril 10, 2015
Pros: no off days
Cons: you make alot off money that you save, & you get 3hour break to relax and go shopping off the boat
You get a chance to travel for free, and all expenses are paid for
Easy out going job work 7 days 8 to 10 hours a day room and board paid for you earn your keep through your work

April 17, 2015

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Hearing from current and former employees about their work experience helps us to better our organization. Onboard positions are challenging jobs and we make this clear in posted job descriptions and during the interview process. We're glad you had a positive experience working on our cruise ship and wish you best of luck in the future, Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

Just a Temp Job
Deckhand (Current Employee), Guilford, CTApril 8, 2015
its straight i just came for the experience not that good on the pay but i need the sea time so sticking with it.dont really like the hotel managers all want to be in control but there should be just one leader.
Good job for a single person looking to travel
Hotel Manager (Former Employee), Guilford, CTMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great travel and pay
Cons: management, and too much time away from family, no balance.
It is a good job, well paid, unfortunately the job insecurity is extremely uncertain, sometimes management gets rid of staff after their 90 day trial to prevent from benefits kicking in, and that creates for a bad job culture, therefore affecting employees state of mind.

April 17, 2015

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working with American Cruise Lines. We regret you feel that staffing decisions were made purely from a benefits standpoint and that the working environment was affected by this. Running a successful cruise line is not easy and decisions are made by weighing a number of factors to ensure we are as productive and efficient as possible. We are glad you considered this a good job and wish you success in the future. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

Deceptive about job and pay
Supposed to be a Steward (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaMarch 12, 2015
Pros: My roommate was nice
Cons: Everything else (read the contract carefully if you decide to take a job here)
So I was hired in Phoenix as a Steward for ACL and was told the pay would be between $500 and $700 a week for a 12 week period. Sounded great to me and I wanted to get experience as a server anyway. So they sent me a ticket, ( I wish I had read the reviews here first). I get to Jacksonville, Florida and was taken to a small boat, I wouldn't even really consider it a ship. Although our meals are provided, the drinks are not, and they charge $7 for a soda. First rip-off.
You are treated somewhat like a prisoner, or the military. You have to be in your room at 10, lights out at 12. Up and ready for inspection at 6:00. And I mean INSPECTION! We were not allowed to leave the boat for any reason, (it was in a very bad area, should have been my first clue)

I was not told when I was hired that my job would entail an evaluation and when I did not clean the rooms fast enough(which is also part of a stewards job on this boat) I was told that they would not hire me as a steward but they would hire me as a galley steward, or dishwasher. I would no longer get the bonus at the end of the 12 weeks and my pay would go from $500 to $200 a week, PLUS at the end of the tour I would have to pay for my own flight back to Phoenix WHAT????? (They will only pay for your flight home if you don't accept the job with them.)

I did not quit my regular job to be a dishwasher for less than minimum wage. You work from sunup to 9:00 pm or later. Crazy hours.

So I told them I was not going to accept that position and I was told I had to go to my room,(closet) and stay there until my ride to – more... the airport the next day. If I left my room they would not pay for my ticket home. Sort of like a blackmail thing. The captain was a straight up A---hole.
Then the next morning they forgot two of the other people who were leaving. I think of the 16 that arrived when I did, only about 4 stayed. I also found out from talking to a few of the other employees who had been there for a while that they never hire Stewards under the age of 25 and you never get to be a manager until you are in your 30's. I'm 18. So it's pretty obvious that when they hired me they knew they weren't going to keep me on as a Steward.

Oh and they sent me a list of things I would need to have before I flew out there, such as two pairs of Khaki pants, white tennis shoes, a watch, white t-shirts and socks etc. I spent at least $150 on clothes. Then I get there and they had Khaki pants and shirts etc for us, so those things were not really necessary. AND they will take money out of your first paycheck for those clothes and I even heard from others they make you reimburse the plane tickets.

Be careful about reading the contract you sign at your interview!!!! They don't tell you that you are going to have to pay back the plane ticket if you don't show up. – less

April 3, 2015

At American Cruise Lines we do our best to be honest in all posted job descriptions and interviews. We understand onboard positions are very demanding physically and require certain fortitude to accomplish. We strive to express the demanding work that certain positions entail and regret if anyone expected different. We also understand that not everyone will always get along with their co-workers or supervisors. We value the feedback of current and former employees and continuously review our policies and management to ensure the best working environment. Sincerely, - American Cruise Lines

April 9, 2015

April 17, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. At American Cruise Lines we are honest in all posted job descriptions and interviews about what the positions entail. We make it very clear that onboard positions are physically demanding, include long hours and require a certain fortitude to accomplish. We strive to fully express the challenging work that certain positions call for and regret if anyone expected different. Many deckhands and stewards enjoy their experience on our cruise ships although we understand the work is not for everyone. We also understand that not everyone will always get along with their co-workers or supervisors. We value the feedback of current and former employees and continuously review our policies and management to ensure the best working environment. Sincerely; - American Cruise Lines

beautiful views thats it.
Server/Steward (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: free food, free living, beautiful views
Cons: horrible pay, long hours, no benefits, no breaks
you work all day reep no rewards. by the time you are finished with your shift you have maybe 2 hours to be out before boat curfew takes in effect.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Guilford, CTFebruary 8, 2015
Enter invoices and pay them.
I have learned a lot in the field of accounting.
Co-Workers are great very helpful
The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with higher up in the company
Fun place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Sandy, UTJanuary 30, 2015
Great employees, convenient hours and supervisors. Only a select few individuals can afford their product. Cruises range from $10,000 and up, definitely not for everbody
Queen of the West and all her pride and glory.
Steward (Former Employee), Guilford, CTOctober 28, 2014
Pros: people, free room and board, great work experience
Cons: 11-14 hour days, management, lack of sleep
Its a lot of hard work. If you aren't willing to give up the outside world then its not the job for you. For an entire three months its very unlikely you'll have a lot of contact with the outside would. You will work from about 6 a.m. till 9 p.m. Everyday with a 2 hour break most days. Management could do a better job at managing. For my first month we were constantly running out of things and that doesn't just reflect badly in management it cuts into your tips so your not getting paid as you should because someone else cant do there jobs correctly. My assistant Manager were great though. We we were understaffed they would get down and dirty to help us the best they could. One of them got into the dish pit just so we would still go through meal service smoothly. The ships are usually full with drama but it doesn't last for very long. A lot of the staff is pretty young and still don't understand how to act like adults all the time, you have to constantly remember that your not in high school anymore and the drama is seriously unnecessary. The best part of the job is meeting all the people that decide to come on the boat and traveling to all the different people. I couldn't have asked for a better ship.
Steward
Steward- Server/Galley/Housekeeping (Former Employee), Pacific NorthWestOctober 7, 2014
Hardest part of the job was living with your co-workers and the passengers.
I loved being able to interact with the passengers and meeting different people.
a typical day at work was serving and housekeeping.

1 2 3

About American Cruise Lines

American Cruise Lines operates the world’s newest fleet of cruise ships specializing in a unique style of small ship cruising – Read more

American Cruise Lines Salaries

$800 per week
Deckhand
$2,500 per month

American Cruise Lines Photos

Deckhands getting some classroom instruction
Hotel Service Mambers (stewards) in training