American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Significantly lacking standard operating procedure
Deckhand/Bosun (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 31, 2016
There are major security aspects that have NO established guidelines yet corporate management still holds employees accountable for creating their own and if you don't get every detail correct you will be fired without due process. Work and travel schedule is subject to abrupt change without notice. Original work commitment included a significant completion bonus which was not paid in my case and when asking about it, was totally ignored. Don't bother getting agreements in writing because that will be ignored as well.
Pros
Meet very nice guests while aboard
Cons
Held responsible for not having standard operating procedures or instruction
Steward (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 13, 2016
12 hour work days 7 days a week.
Turn over rate was high in all positions but I was the only one who stayed the full intern. I broaden my skill-set and believe that the experience has prepared me for more challenges.
Deceptive
Steward (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 29, 2016
I enjoyed my coworkers, for the most part. I enjoyed the guests as well. I made a lot of friends and great networking opportunities. I can now say i have like 30+ adopted parents.

The home office sets you up to fail a lot with the constant turnover rate though. They will put a team together on a boat and it will begin clicking and running smoothly. Then, home office will begin sending people home and bringing in new people straight from training. This is because they're constantly training people and they need boats to send these people to. Employees are extremely disposable and they're not afraid to let you know. With that, it becomes hard to find consistency and maintain a high-level of customer service when you're working with an entirely new team practically every week.

In the beginning, you're told you will make upwards of $10,000+ by the end of your contract with a $750+ bonus check if you complete your 12 weeks. Not even close. When you get to training, all of a sudden it is 16 weeks to finish (they say they "never said" 12 weeks). But home office ends up sending all senior stewards "on vacation" once you begin nearing your 16 weeks.. knowing that if someone who is treated so childishly, disrespected and berated constantly and underpaid would not come back if they only had 2-3 weeks to finish for a lousy $750 bonus check.

Some days management cares, others not. Home office sends new stewards from training that are sometimes incompetent and it becomes the responsibility of senior stewards to correctly train newbee's while still completing their own 13-14hr day
  more... duties. You do get breaks but it depends on how fast your team can work to finish up closing duties. There is an 11pm curfew. Most nights you finish around 9pm but it's hard to see the sights when you're either underway or stuck in a mandatory, overly drawn out, poorly timed meeting that runs into your 2hr free time.

I found it hard to work for a company that is so morally, ethically and legally wrong. Such as charging guests a $200 service/gratuity fee that is allegedly "tips" for the stewards. They say it is pooled and divided evenly among all the stewards composing the $750 bonus check. But do the math... if you work on any boat in the fleet (50 passengers to 185) and EACH passenger is charged a $200 service/gratuity fee... divide that by 15 or 20 stewards and multiply by 16weeks... at the end of 16 weeks, shouldn't your bonus check (i.e. tips) be WELL over $750? They also tell you to deny tips in person because passengers are charged that service/gratuity fee. But back to the main point, where is the rest of that money going? Hmmm because it's not to us.

They continually break US Coast Guard, Maritime, FDA, FLSA, and CDC laws and regulations but I digress.

If you don't mind being overworked, doing the EXACT same thing everyday and meeting new people/networks then do it. It's a resume builder and an experience to look back on.
Pros
free lunches and housing
Cons
short breaks, underpaid, treated as children, little freedom
Be careful
Steward/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 20, 2016
Over worked. How is an hour break legally ok for a 16 hour shift? Always threatened for no reason. Management is straight up disgustingly rude and try to have weekly "meetings" on how to improve but it goes in one ear and comes out the other. Pointless. You honestly have to become emotionless and suck it up to work here. Unprofessional to have managers who crack under pressure. Be prepared to be belittled and disrespected every minute of every day. Try not to become attached to co workers because they could be fired over spilled milk. You pay for all your flights. They loooooove cutting your checks. Trust the bad reviews. It's all true. Queen of the Mississippi was like living with the devil.
Pros
Money, Traveling, Scenery
Productive Workplace
Hospitality Instructor (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 15, 2016
Workplace was a learning environment with great staff. Room for advancement. Typical to what you would see with an Event Management Company.
Housekeeping, Dining Service (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 8, 2016
The job posting was a very misleading. this job is not fun. Its long hard work with very little reward. You barley see the sights or the benefits of the pay until the experience is over.
Fun position with great income opportunities
Sr. Cruise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 28, 2016
This is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding positions I have worked in a long time. The nature of the job itself is enjoyable and pleasant. You speak with kind and fascinating people daily who always provide you with engaging and diverse conversation. There is plenty of freedom to find and utilize your own set of sales skills and develop relationships with your clients. It's so rewarding to hear that you've helped someone book their "dream cruise" or something off their bucket list.
Aside from the rewards of being a part of something exciting for the clients, they pay is wonderful. If you are consistent and hard working, your dedication will pay off and you will see if directly reflected in your paycheck.
Pros
Great income, Friendly competition, great team of people to work with, hours are great and managment accomodating to specific needs, growing company with future oppotunities
Cons
The structure of the job and commissions can create a shark tank feeling at times, but if you act with professionalism and courtesy in all your interactions, this can be very easily overcome.
Productive and fun work place. Great people and always fun to work with!
Stewardess (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2016
I worked as a steward for 16 weeks and I had a blast. Working for ACL really gave me the opportunity to meet new people from different parts of the world and travel around America. The people you work with really do become your family. You certainly do get enough time off. Although the hours can be long, with a great team it made it worth it. You learn more about yourself as a person too. And besides, what could be better than traveling and making money?
Pros
Free lunches, growth within the company, awesome managers, get to meet people from all over the world, decent pay, travel for free, save money, make friends for life.
Cons
Curfew
Fast Paced Environment with Room to Grow
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 27, 2016
I came to ACL 3 years ago in the recruiting department. Since then I have worked my way into the Assistant Operations Manager position. Each day at work presents a different challenge and the fast paced environment always keeps me on my toes.

If you are interested in growing the opportunity is definitely available. American Cruise Lines is growing rapidly so as long as you are willing to work hard and put the time in, you can grow along with it. The management does not micromanage your days so you are able to take on more responsibilities as long as you can manage your time appropriately. In my position, I am able to work with almost every department in American Cruise Lines and learn all aspects of the business and company. There is a great sense of comradery and teamwork between the different departments operationally. We cannot run smoothly without one another!

Overall, I really enjoy the every day puzzles to solve in operations and the relationships I get to build with my coworkers, both shoreside and shipboard!
Great Job for Good Sales Agents
Senior Cruise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 27, 2016
The job requires you to work hard and stay focus every single day. You need to make a good amount of outbound to keep your pipeline full; a minimum of 60 a day. You will get plenty of inbound leads and the outbound calls you make will be warm calls.

You can learn to be a great sales person here, if you don't already have that skill set. They offer plenty of coaching during the course of the day.

Management in the office is very accommodating and understanding. They will try their best to work with your schedule and make it a good working experience.

The hardest part of the job is the need to stay focus every single day. If you let your pipe line diminish, you will see your pay check diminish as well.

The best part of the job is how enjoyable it is. It is not your typical high pressure sales office. As long as you work hard and try to become better at your job, then they will work with you.
Pros
Great daily bonus opportunities, flexable schedule, & fun atmosphere.
Cons
Only 30 minute lunch & learning curve.

Want to know more about American Cruise Lines?

Ask a question
Growing Company with Great Co-Workers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 26, 2016
I love working at American Cruise Lines! It is a growing company with an all American vibe that is unique these days. The people we communicate with are wonderful, which makes answering questions and dealing with concerns an enjoyable experience. There is a good balance of data entry, customer service calls, and additional tasks that help the day to go by quickly. I've learned a lot about the travel industry & geography of the United States while working here. As a seeker of knowledge I love learning new things everyday. My co-workers are a joy to be around and make coming to work something I look forward to. Pay is great for a customer service position!
Pros
Co-Workers, Schedule, workload
Cons
Supervisor Availability after hours, Healthcare price
Incredible Company Offering Great Management Opportunities
Cruise Director (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 25, 2016
I came to American Cruise Lines (ACL) with a travel and tourism background and left a company that didn't allow sick days and told us up front we would not be able to fly home due to any emergency. What has impressed me the most about ACL is how much they care about their employees well being and personal happiness. During my initial rotations a few coworkers had to leave for family emergencies, they were given flights home the next day then flown back to the boat when they were ready. Then a manager and a few crew members were sick and instead of forcing them to work they were put into empty passenger rooms to heal peacefully. Now in my second season I am on leave as I am currently 9 months pregnant and the compassion has not ended. While working on board all fellow managers as well as the Hotel Director and other members of the Home Office never treated me with disregard and made working at 8 months extremely enjoyable. Although they do not have a set maternity leave, the way that they have treated me is much better than what could be set out in any guidelines.

It is obvious that the company cares about their employees satisfaction as they are continually updating practices to improve our well-being, as well as paychecks. They implemented a new bonus program this season that is basically a guaranteed bonus every cruise as opposed to having to hit levels last season. They are continually implementing new procedures for enhanced guest experience, which of course can be overwhelming at first, but when you work from the guidebook provided and follow all updates everything
  more... is to make our jobs easier and the guests happier.

ACL has an outstanding training and development team who may be the most passionate employees throughout the organization. At the beginning of your training as well as at the beginning of each season you will have a group meeting with your respective department. It is a great experience to get to meet the others in your same position who you may never see during the season as you are assigned to different vessels. Having the opportunity to re-energize after having a few months off during winter/off-season is truly an invaluable part of our jobs as some processes may have drifted to the back of your mind.

The hours are long, which is to be expected in any hospitality setting but when you work hard with a great group of on board managers, each 6 weeks flies by. The best part about my job, aside from the amazing passengers, are my fellow managers. Working in a travel environment with people from all across the United States gives you a unique insight into how people work. When you find that right group of managers, all of whom are excited and put guests needs first, is when you will find your work family. I am fortunate enough to have had this experience many times with ACL and look forward to returning in a few months.

With all of the different types of people you come in contact with you receive invaluable opportunities to learn how you best interact in a professional setting, which helps you to develop into a well rounded individual and aid in career advancement. As a Cruise Director I not only provide great guest experience but as a member at the Hotel team I am able to enhance my skills in sales, dining and hotel duties.Truly great.

Overall, if you are prepared to work hard in a hospitality organization, are looking to eat great food prepared for you, to save a ton of money and be able to travel for weeks and months at a time, or have true family time when you are home, you have found the perfect organization for you. If you are not prepared to work hard and quickly become negative, my advice would be to apply elsewhere.
Pros
Personal and professional development, bonus program, company continually creating new ways to enhance on-board functionality, very flexible schedules and very short placements compared to the rest of the cruise industry.
Cons
Coworkers who are not prepared to work hard and quickly become negative, showing they have chosen the wrong industry
Cool hospitality experience and travel
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 21, 2016
I've been a deckhand and had a great time travelling on the east coast. Living and working on the ship is fun, but being away form home can be a lot. As a deckhand we work odd hours, but the work is pretty fun and its a lot fo being outside. The rest of the crew was awesome and we would go out together in each port. Customers change every week and they are always a really nice group of older people. We would spend a lot of time making things easier for them. I learned a lot more about being in hotels than I expected, since I came in as a deckhand, but it was still good. You have to be ready to work long hours, but the experience and the people make it worth it.
Pros
No living expenses at all, travel to new ports
Cons
Rooms are small and shared, you have to buy your uniform
Excellent management!
Steward Internship (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 16, 2016
I loved my coworkers and my bosses. That being said, the company itself needs a total makeover. A typical day would be 12-14 hours on your feet, serving guests at all three meals and housekeeping duties in between. The job and the hours are manageable but the lies from the company are not.
Fast Paced enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 8, 2016
I love the fast paced environment.
Great staff and managers .I would highly recommend working for this company.
Great experience.
Worst job I've ever had
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 16, 2016
If you think working for this company is a good idea, just keep looking for another job.

TERRIBLE PAY for starters. since it's on international waters, they can get away with paying their workers less than minimum wage, also the way you get paid is not by the company but by "urging" the customers to tip the workers out around 20% of what their stay costs. even with that pay, you are lucky to make 600 in a week

you are OVER WORKED. in a weeks time you work about 84 - 90 hrs with no breaks and no overtime pay.

the LIVING CONDITIONS on the ship are terrible. roaches, mice, everything is leaking, the worst part of it all is where you sleep. since there are mass amounts of people coming and going from the ship the ship has scabies...yes SCABIES. the crazy mutated parasitic bed bug that only people in prisons get. i got scabies from sleeping on that ship.

the MANAGEMENT IS TERRIBLE & UNPROFESSIONAL . the first mate literally tried to fight me over a miscommunication over the radio.

if you get sick or injured ( and you will) they will not pay for your airfare, hotel, bus pass, doctors bills. they will drop you off at the next port and leave you there with no way to get home. It happened to me.
Pros
travel
Cons
EVERYTHING.
Travel with Friends
Steward (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 14, 2016
American Cruise Lines provides a great opportunity to travel. You work long hours, but you get about a two-hour break in the middle of the day to venture into the city you dock. You also have time to go out at night. The guests are all very nice and easy to talk to. There are great networking opportunities aboard. I've made life-long friends working for this company.
Pros
Free food, co-workers
Cons
Horrible, lousy managents, bunch of liars
former employee (Former Employee) –  RIFebruary 16, 2016
Worst company ever!!! Awful pay, terrible working conditions. Pack so many people in one room, no breaks, employ all young kids. I'm reporting them to the DEPARTMENT OF LABOR. They should not be in business..they overcharge for their cruises!!!
Fantastic experience
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJanuary 26, 2016
-Great experience traveling the country,
-Meeting friends for a lifetime,
-Make and save money,
-Learn so much about the hospitality industry
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
Work long hours
Fun times
Chief Mate (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJanuary 10, 2016
see the united states like you never have before, great shipboard cruise job, good home time, hardest part being gone so long most enjoyable part is seeing great secluded coasts all over the country

2.9