American Crystal Sugar Company Employee Reviews

Mandatory overtime
Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDJanuary 8, 2018
The shifts are 12 hours. If your replacement calls in or is a no show, you stay and pull the additional 12 hour shift. If you don't, it's called 'Job Abandonment'. Have seen people work for 36 hours straight. Not sure how this is safe or legal, but it happens quite a bit. Very hot inside the building.
Pros
1 week off per month/Much overtime possible
Cons
Nepotism. Most shifts are shorthanded.
Schedule Preference
Process Technician V (Former Employee) –  Drayton, NDJanuary 7, 2018
Depending on the type of schedule you can handle greatly impacts your personal and job life, Which there are about three categories they give you to choose from.
For a day's review I would say there is a lot of walking, socializing and breaks.
Pros
Many breaks with lenient minutes of use, many opportunities to advance, and ability to make friends/acquaintances with ease
Cons
Occasional stressful environment and little to no temperature control for the inside of the factory
Tough Schedule
Lab Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sugar, CODecember 11, 2017
The schedule/hours are a little challenging but rewarding at the same time because you get a whole week off every month without missing your 40hr/week pay. 12 hour shifts rotating days to nights gets a little challenging on your body and family life. Pay is good especially on holidays but the plant never shuts down so you have a good likelihood of working holidays.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work Schedule
Factory Lift
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNNovember 18, 2017
Check in with supervisor, hard work, stressful at times, interesting, fun people, lots of cleaning, and reorganizing, learning about sugar industry. Get to have your own radio! 1 week off a month!
Pros
1 week off a month
Cons
12 hour work days
Good, fair place to work.
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDNovember 17, 2017
Managers were very knowledgeable and helpful.
Benefits are bad until you become a year round employee.
12 hour work days with swing shifts.
Many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Good pay, clear path for advancement
Cons
Bad benefits, swing shift, long days.
Pay ok, coworkers suck
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDNovember 2, 2017
The pay is good for unskilled labor. There is plenty of OT if you want it, otherwise you get plenty of time off. The benefits are cheap but the health insurance has an unreasonable deductible that will never get met if you don't have a terrible accident. The worse part is the coworkers. They will be your friend to your face and throw you under the bus the next. Management is disengaged and hard to communicate with. If you are hard working and driven, you can advance otherwise you won't get a promotion with out making your desire well known. In the lab, promotions are hard to come by unless someone quits or retires.
Lots of work during harvest.
Bag hanger/scale operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDOctober 21, 2017
I worked in the lab during harvest lots of hours lots of mud and dust.i worked thru a temp agency most of the bosses were nice polite and knowledgeable? I would highly recommend beet harvest to any one that can work long hours with no days off till the harvest is over.last.3-4 weeks.
Friendly and helpful employees
Code Compliance Inspector (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNOctober 6, 2017
Easy to learn your position with adequate training. also had great benefits with friendly employees and an overall great drive to be the best in the industry
Forceful in getting the work done on time
Logistic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNAugust 30, 2017
I worked for this company during a strike, so most of us were new and because of that not a lot of time in training. The enviroment was often toxic, bad language used by management towards workers. Glad to leave.
Pros
study work
Cons
unhealth management
if you looking for an ECT or electrician job look elswhere
e and i (Current Employee) –  hillsboroAugust 29, 2017
The. E and I department is run by people who don't care. You are on your own and if you ask for help you are scolded.
The supervisor doesn't seem to want to help and I feel that even though I have been here for little while I have learned nothing.
This plant in Hillsboro has lost two electricians since I started and two more are threatening to quit.
Pros
pay
Cons
managment
Good pay but nothing else.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNAugust 6, 2017
The management side is full of nepotism and favoritism. You always eventually learn most in management was related to or friends with someone that would have affected their hiring/promotion. Many farmers would be terribly upset to see the way their money is spent on "Tommy boy" level college graduates who mis-manage production and employees and spend money on security cameras to watch from their chairs instead of getting out on the floor like responsible managers. Curious that over 90% of the management in these factories all grew up nearby and have connections to those above them. Apparently all the smartest best qualified people on the planet grow up within so many miles of sugar factories! Inadequate managers that would never hold the same position anywhere else like to throw their weight around, simply because they have power over others and make it an absolutely terrible place to work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, insurance, 401 cont., schedule, forced overtime
Money is decent, Management is bad
Process Tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 6, 2017
The money in benefits is what kept me here for a couple years. I left because one of the supervisors threw me under the bus for something I didn't even do but to cover his own butt I got let go. Very long hours..your 12 hour shift can turn in to a 24 during the winter time very easily. Just be careful and always wear your PPE..even if your boss says don't worry about it!
Pros
Money, benefits
Cons
Hours, Management
very productive place to work
General Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Drayton,ND+July 1, 2017
This would be a typical day at work,from the warehouse shop foreman I learned alot in the warehouse, the management and culture was great,the hardest part of the job would be cleaning the
spilled sugar off the floor,the most enjoyable part of the day is when
the work is going smoothly to get things done for the day.
Great work place
Maintenance Mechanic / Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDJune 10, 2017
Overall great pay and benefits people are nice. The location is not to far from where there is cheap homes for rent or sell. And the drive is great if you like the great out doors.
good place to work hard and attain a MN boiler License
Firemen, Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDApril 25, 2017
the more physical work someone is able to do often the more that gets required. compensation and raises must be sought after in a very determined fashion.
Maintenance
HOUSE MECHANIC I (Current Employee) –  Crookston, MNApril 21, 2017
Upper management is awful. Too much outside hiring for middle management positions, no pay raises or opportunities for advancement for maintenance. Good environment and coworkers.
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  North DakotaMarch 16, 2017
ACS is a great place to work, great atmosphere. Work and home life are balanced and you're given the tools to do your job to the fullest. Communication between management is open and honest.
dirty job but good pay
Operating Technician (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNMarch 15, 2017
So I donty really know what to put. I just have to write 150 characters about working at this business. I am getting pretty close to that number so I g
Pros
good pay
Cons
dirty place
Awesome place to work.
Floater (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 7, 2017
I only worked at this company for a short time, when the company went on strike; it was amazing to see how sugar is made, also to be a part of the process. I will work there anytime.
Pros
Learning new things.
Cons
N/a
Great Experience, Great Pay
Assistant Chemist (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNFebruary 22, 2017
American Crystal is an excellent candidate for anyone interested in a production driven and well paying established company.

Everyday presented new challenges as well as a diverse work environment. New positions were constantly opening to meet the needs of the seasonal based campaigns.

While I cannot speak for all departments, the community and management of the quality department was top notch. The culture was strong on safety and accurate data analysis.

The compensation provided by ACSC is very competitive, and often above average.

The only downside would be the constantly changing staff to meet demands; it was hard to establish a strong work culture and maintain work/life balance for critical departments.
Pros
Challenging Work, Great Pay
Cons
Culture and Work/Life Balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Crystal Sugar Company. Our community is ready to answer.