American Crystal Sugar Company

American Crystal Sugar Company Employee Reviews

Great Experience, Great Pay
Assistant Chemist (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNFebruary 22, 2017
American Crystal is an excellent candidate for anyone interested in a production driven and well paying established company.

Everyday presented new challenges as well as a diverse work environment. New positions were constantly opening to meet the needs of the seasonal based campaigns.

While I cannot speak for all departments, the community and management of the quality department was top notch. The culture was strong on safety and accurate data analysis.

The compensation provided by ACSC is very competitive, and often above average.

The only downside would be the constantly changing staff to meet demands; it was hard to establish a strong work culture and maintain work/life balance for critical departments.
Pros
Challenging Work, Great Pay
Cons
Culture and Work/Life Balance
Hard work. Hard hours
Ion Tech (Current Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNFebruary 21, 2017
Working rotating 12 hour shifts is very difficult and leaves very little time for anything else, including family events. Pay and benefits are good but do not compensate for what you miss out on.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
12 hour rotating shifts. You dont work just days or nights. Dirty, hot work environment
Shift supervisor in sugar production
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNOctober 30, 2016
Typical work day,
Shift work, Have my own office. Managing process including employees.
What I learned
Treat all employees with respect plus treat them all the same
Was a thankless job at times when dealing with discplineing employees
Hardest part of my job,
Firing a employee
The most enjoyable part of my job
Salary
Pros
If company does well we get bonus
Cons
Shift work everyday
Look out
worker (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ND 58045November 5, 2016
This company is under a union contract. That being said, the company has no problem not following the contract, with seemingly no repercussions. Supervisors regularly seek out workers to attack/write up. Safety is a joke, all talk, no action, no real safety. If you want to work there, may God be with you.
Pros
pay
Cons
no safety, no security, bad supervisors, no job security
Become best friends with the managers or suffer
Worker (Current Employee) –  Drayton, NDJanuary 6, 2017
If you like being micromanaged and don't care if the environment is unsafe, this is the place for you. Some of the coworkers are good and through them, the rest can be tolerated.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management is dysfunctional and people do not matter to them.
Productive workplace, keeps you busy!
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNDecember 9, 2016
I worked here for about a month, it was hard at first getting used to shift work. All around great place to work, with great pay trust me you will work hard for your money and earn it the honest way, great benefits as well, and a great group of co-workers.
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  North DakotaMarch 16, 2017
ACS is a great place to work, great atmosphere. Work and home life are balanced and you're given the tools to do your job to the fullest. Communication between management is open and honest.
dirty job but good pay
Operating Technician (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNMarch 15, 2017
So I donty really know what to put. I just have to write 150 characters about working at this business. I am getting pretty close to that number so I g
Pros
good pay
Cons
dirty place
Great pay for the work
Lab Bench Person (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDOctober 13, 2016
The company is very safety oriented. The co-workers are great team workers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the heat. There are several positions and in some of the factory you will have a variety of positions to learn and work.
pellet operator
pellet mill operator (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNAugust 22, 2016
My pellet mill operating position was a very hard working easy learning position but at the same time it was a very dangerous hazardous place .so safety was a very strong part in my position
Safety and Sanitation Lead (Current Employee) –  Crookston, MNAugust 11, 2016
Good place to work, I've learned a lot from working here. My supervisor is great! The work conditions are very clean thanks to a great sanitation program.
not very high paced but long hours and rotating shifts
knife setter (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNFebruary 19, 2016
the main thing i disliked about working here is the rotating shifts. you always work a twelve hour shift but it will go 3 day shifts, 3 days off, come back and do 3 nights, and have 3 off, 3 days, one off, 3 nights, 3 off. 4 days on, and then 7 days off. and then repeat that sequence every month. the reason i didnt like this, is it was messing up my ability to sleep having to readjust all the time. and the fumes in the building caused me to get sick quite often which i normally am rarely sick. the things i liked are that i was responsible for myself. and didnt have to be told anything. i worked at my own pace and had lots of down time on the job since i was so fast. we got breaks every 2 hours which was a big plus.
Pros
paid lunches, summers off, friendly management, self managed
Cons
long shifts, rotating schedules, fumes such as SO2
Descent pay, bad management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 9, 2016
Pay is solid but management is demeaning and does supply the tools needed to be successful. Management constantly cuts down employees with insults and inappropriate language.
Pros
pay
Cons
culture, management
Great Place to work
Safety Lead (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDJune 6, 2016
This is a amazing company they value safety and hard work, this job has been great they reward hard work and the management is superb
I thing it was good job for me.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  East Grand Forks, MNMarch 1, 2016
I have been in warehouse work for over 30 years. I can drive just about any thing in warehouse. I can do assembly , order selecting , shipping receiving and a hole lot more.
great pay for someone without a degree but with great work ethic
PULP DRIER FIREMAN (Current Employee) –  Crookston, MNSeptember 16, 2014
I applied for a manufacturing technician and received the job. I was paid fifteen per hour starting. I worked very hard at any task that was given to me and learned whatever I could learn about the factory.

One supervisor was impressed with my work ethic and commitment and promoted me to a job that paid six dollars more per hour.
Pros
Good pay for someone without a degree but willing to work hard and to learn.
Cons
Many women can get away with not doing anything or showing up.
Good Team work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 31, 2013
Work 12hr days, with rotating days and nights. I enjoyed working with American Crystal because of who I got to work with. Everyday was amazing to come to work since we were all like a big family. We spend most our days there and well you grow with one another. The hardest part of my job was being in the dust that was hazardous. Most enjoyable enough said, everyone I got to work with. The management was good but unorganized. I learned how to drive forklift, was learning the bobcat. I got to do some teamwork, taking others and leading them on what to do. I enjoyed that alot, giving directions and working along side my team.
Pros
I enjoyed the 12hr days
Cons
Health hazards
Good steady work, room for growth
INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNDecember 25, 2014
I recommend this company. The work conditions are like that of a typical factory. It was fair work for fair pay. The main downfall is the area and company are not culturally diverse. Those who are different are treated as such. Management was good.
Pros
BENEFITS PACKAGE
Cons
ETHNICALLY CHALLENGED
A fast paced and a Fun place to work,
Lab Chemist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, NDNovember 11, 2013
We run samples for quality assurance purposes in a fast paced environment.
Learned many things about the sugar processing.
My co-workers are very friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job is the long rotating shifts.
Pros
Friendly helpfull people with positive attitudes
Cons
very short breaks and long hours of work
Misc. laborer/ashman
Misc. laborer/ashman (Former Employee) –  Drayton, NDSeptember 14, 2015
General cleaning and sanitation of the factory. Promoted to ashman where I was in charge of the removal of ash and rock from the boilers and also general maintenance and lubrication.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Crystal Sugar Company. Our community is ready to answer.

American Crystal Sugar Company Reviews by Location