American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

Productive place, a lot of things gets accomplish there.
Volunteer Collecting Funds (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 27, 2014
The main thing as a volunteer was getting to the public the information that I was passing around, and at the same time collecting donations for The american Diabetes Association, which I still do, but not as much as I was able to do before due to my school, like the many fun raising settings that I carried around with my own jewelry making designs, the pizza nights, as well as standing in front of department store asking for donations. I believe that was the hardest thing over all.
The people at the company are very friendly and very helpful too, any time that I had a question, problem or concern they were there for me when I needed it.
One never stops from learning from them, because everyday there is a new discovery towards finding the cure on diabetes.
As far as the mos enjoyable part of doing it, well the rewards, being able to explain to the public what I was doing, why, and who was my motivation (my youngest daughter that has Type 1), and when I open to the public the poor down the contributions into my bowl, and that to me was the best thing, being able to give back to them a little something for all their hard work towards finding the cure of it, not only for my baby girl, but for everyone all over the world. I'm planning on going back and do it all as hard as I was before as soon as I can and time allows me. Now days I still talk to people of all ages about it, because it is important for them to know, so that they are aware of what is being done, so that they can open their wallets and give out contributions. May god bless them for their hard work, as well as us the
  more... ones that volunteer........  less
Pros
helping them to find the cure, by collecting contributions.
Cons
not being able to reach everyone to help with contributions, due to scams done by others.
Fun and lively workplace for a great cause
Internship/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Highlands, CANovember 27, 2012
Organized special events to benefit organization’s fundraising efforts (i.e. Step Out, World Diabetes Day, Tour de Cure etc.). Assisted in organizations other fundraising efforts through phone, mail, and electronic mail informational distribution. Conducted analysis of prior donors, and successfully created a strategic fundraising approach. Conducted media interface. Drafted and designed event materials, letters, brochures, and other marketing materials.

I learned that there is much more than meets the eye when it comes to organizing events and fundraisers. Learning all the details that go into preparing is very tedious and mind opening.

The management, as well as my co-workers, were great to work with. It was a very laid back, yet productive office.

The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that it wasn't a paid internship. However, I loved it and it was my choice to continue my volunteering there.

The fact that we were a non-profit organization that works towards a cure for a disease that hits close to my heart was the most enjoyable part. The people I had the chance to work with were a bonus.
Internship doesn't fit their online description
Intern (Former Employee) –  USAApril 29, 2014
I interned with ADA for a fall semester. The website made it seemed that I would be doing a lot with event planning, maybe some social media, and attend some outside events. Well, I spent 99% of my time behind a desk making cold phone calls. I felt like I could not grow because I was doing work a high schooler could do. Besides that, we were "required" (I did not know this before or during interview, only when I was working) to fundraise $1,000 on our own. I became frustrated b/c ADA was asking A LOT of time out of me already and now I needed to do work outside of the office. I know that is the "real world" but for an unpaid internship, I thought it was a little much. I would have loved to use my creative side and truly learn about Non-Profits but instead I made call after call after call…..boring.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
long hours, outside fundraising, work didn't match up with description on website
comfortable work space, team oriented
Associate Director, Fundraising & Special Events (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2015
It's a small staff and everyone has her own responsibilities but no one has a problem coming together as a team to make sure a project is completed or goals are met. Recruitment, training and management of fundraising volunteers is a major part of the day-to-day routine to ensure that the fundraising goal of the event is met.
The Executive Director often means well but sometimes makes a situation more complicated than necessary. The Executive Director believes in collaborating with staff as part of a team and values each member's opinion.
The hardest part of this job is that there seems to be a disconnect between the corporate/home office and field offices. Oftentimes it is difficult to get any support or the resources needed to be successful at your job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is leveraging opportunities to build relationships with potential corporate donors.
Pros
flexible work schedule, little supervision, easy access to public transportation
Cons
no paid parking, morale is low
Great organization to work for.
Sr. Director of Program & Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2012
As a Public Health Professional I was responsible for developing and implementing information and analysis programs for the National Capital Area American Diabetes Association DC, Maryland and Virginia region by providing advice, technical assistance, and policy guidance to supervisory and management officials. As the Director I conducted liaison, coordinate and collaborate with a broad spectrum of public health constituents and participants, including federal, state, local and international public health officials, as well as government officials, private individuals and senior researchers in academic settings. Advises managers and supervisors on evaluation, feedback and recognition techniques, establishment of critical elements and standards, alignment of employee performance plans.
In addition, I provided expert advisor with staff to ensure effective program implementation to successful deliver of local programs including Work site, Multi-Cultural Outreach and Diabetes Expo, as measured by number of people reached.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
not family friendly environment work/family balance
Good place to get started or be an Executive
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EVENTS & FUNDRASING (Current Employee) –  TNJuly 7, 2015
The Association is a great organization that does a lot for people living with diabetes. Have learned many skills and have loved working with the organization. Other staff seems to be really dedicated and they encourage staff communications. The financial goals are difficult to achieve without the proper executive staff in place. Sometimes feels like the smaller field offices are left out to dry while the larger field offices are flourishing. The field offices are the main life line of funding and they have had a significant amount of staff reduction thus causing the current staff to handle too many events. Hopefully the new CEO will help re-establish these position and get more staff hired. Great place to get started and to grow to new positions if they are available in your area.
Pros
Nice work schedule, great benefits, people who seem to really care about the mission
Cons
work life balance is off
poor worklife balance, poor management, not professional
Temporary Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 16, 2014
I worked for the Alexandria location as a temp with my agency. I was expected to learn tremendous amount of work/traing in 6 weeks. There is constant monitoring and on the spot mocks. This was intimidating and made a lot of the traininees nervous! I ended my assignment early as i previously read Tim one of the Managers for the call center told me one thing and said another. Of course, just by his lies i could not stay in a work environment who does not hold management accountable. This place was unprofessional and the staff at the call center seems to be over worked and burnt out. I do not regreat my decision to leave. I know my worth! BE WARE!
Pros
i can not think of any
Cons
poor management, unprofessional, low pay, and burn out
Association is trying to find its way and increase its market share by continual re-structuring itself. This has its pros and cons.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 8, 2015
Having worked at all levels of the Association, there is great enthusiasm among its volunteers and new staff, especially at the local level. However as you rise through the organization, the ease of systems for staff becomes cumbersome and many national departments lose sight of the fact that they are there to serve the field and make them successful by removing obstacles to that success.

What is wonderful about the Association is its dedication to people with diabetes and those who serve them. However more local autonomy would improve that and positively impact the field's perception of how helpful the national office is to their work.
Pros
Staff dedication to the mission
Cons
putting systems over substance.
Great career opportunity working for an organization that supports people with type 1 & type 2 diabetes
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 15, 2012
Coordinated department design and print projects; worked with meetings, community programs, individual/planned
giving, and all other departments. Created and reviewed production schedules; updated clients on progress.

I had a close relationship with management and coworkers. The hardest part was no longer being there and the most enjoyable was providing good service and to be able to help the Association get the message through the printed materials for the well-being of millions of people, both directly and indirectly, affected by diabetes.
Pros
having the opportunity being in an inclusive environment, meeting new vendors, great coworkers, work-life balance, and benefits. a great place to work!
Cons
n/a
Community Outreach and Professioanl Education
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2013
Served in a community outreach and professional education position as member of executive staff for a national agency providing public health education and awareness services for over 3.2 million residents. Provide communications leadership, strategic planning, and marketing program management for multiple public health initiatives. Evaluate and recommend public health and community awareness policy to local and state government representatives. Work closely with educational, corporate and community leadership to maximize American Diabetes Association exposure and resource availability. Serve as Diabetes Educator for local organizations and faith-based institutions.
•Provide general oversight and program development while working closely with public health officials to coordinate community awareness, maximize program services, and facilitate a positive organizational environment
Pros
educating diverse communities on the importance of making healthier lifestyle choices
Cons
n/a

Want to know more about American Diabetes Association?

Ask a question
Would like more resources
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 8, 2015
You have to do a lot of promoting for the special events and convince people as to why your cause is worthy of their generosity.

I have learned that there are negative stereotype among the general public about diabetes and most of them simply are not true.

I do wish management would show more support to make their smaller markets more successful.

Co-workers are great if you are lucky enough to have well blending personalities.

The hardest part is making sure that the community gets the help they deserve and that the resources are up to date.

The most enjoyable part is when you do get someone in need of help to the resources they need and to know they care getting the help they were looking for.
Productive and fun workplace
Board Member for Camp Rainbow (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2012
The American Diabetes Association was a wonderful place to work at. There was always so much going on. I interned there for a semester and loved it. I was always either in the office or attending fairs/events to helping them set up for their events. It was a wonderful experience and my co-workers made it even better. They were such a joy to work with and even after my intern ended I am still with them. I am a board member for Camp Rainbow ( a camp for type 1 diabetic children held every June). The hardest part was having to manage all the workload with having deadlines around the corner all the time. It taught me time management and I loved everything about the work place.
Fun and laid back place to work, but also very productive and goal oriented.
Event Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2014
I learned a great deal from this position about working in a nonprofit and fundraising events. My co-workers were all very helpful individuals who I could look to as role models in the career world. The hardest part of my job was balancing all of the tasks and remembering all of the details that go along with planning a large scale event. The most enjoyable part was watching the event unfold and seeing how much joy it brought to the public. That made all of the hard work and stress pay off.
Pros
hands on experience
Excellent Internship at ADA
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2012
I had my internship at the ADA and found it incredibly fulfilling. I learned how a non-profit organization works and the importance of speaking directly with the community to encourage healthy behaviors to prevent diabetes. During the day I could call both providers and community members, organize and create programs, and create flyers and bulletins. The hardest part of the job was determining how to approach individual people about diabetes but this also was the most enjoyable part! The co-workers were amazing and dedicated to the cause. Overall, a very worthwhile place to either intern or work!
Pros
interaction with community members, free give aways
Cons
busy, demanding
Limited Room for Growth
Administration (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 8, 2015
Major changes in leadership in last year - CEO, new CEO recently appointed, seems to be making a lot of positive changes.
Lack of HR repsonse to employee issues. Lack of HR knowledge when it comes to policies. Policies are outdated or non existant.
Limited or no room for growth. Uncertainty and low moral in employee base due to operational changes and layoffs.
Leave benefits are excellent, - vacation, sick and personal.
Merit review process is odd, salary is not based on merit according to the management.
Excellent co-worker enviornment. Employess are hard working and dedicated, just not appreciated for going the extra mile.
Pros
Leave benefits
Cons
No room for growth
I sat on the Board of Directors as a Volunteers
Board of Directors- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 21, 2015
I was Committee Chair for an annual major fund raising The scope of this committee was to enlist local area businesses and individual to either become involved as a volunteer or to attend these events.
This included major fund raising from prospective attendees of the event and volunteers. There were 3 other events that I participated on an annual business, as well as attended committee meetings, Board events, i.e. dinners, I loved the fund raising and bringing new people on board.
Pros
Gold Tournaments, 5K walks, various other fund rasing.
Cons
None that I can think of, it was very rewarding I believe I forged some wonderful relationships.
A great cause with declining results
Manager - Production Services (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 22, 2015
I spent 7 years working for the Association before I was let go during a mass layoff in October 2015. I had a great experience overall, gaining skills and building a professional network of tremendous coworkers and vendors. It's disheartening to watch the decline of the ADA overall. Struggles to increase revenue have led to many layoffs in the last few years. I wish the best for the Association in the future.
Pros
Good work/life balance, Good cause.
Cons
Entrenched upper management, lack of opportunities for advancement, lack of creativity and direction.
Non- Profit
Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoOctober 16, 2012
Co-Workers are great, people tend to make friends easily in the fairly small office. Learned a lot about fundraising. Best part of the job was meeting volunteers and participants at events.
Management was difficult to work with, lots of lay offs and high turn over in the few years that I was there. Not a lot of room for growth. HR though the national office is unprofessional and does not help with office/management problems.
Pros
lots of vacation/personal/sick days
Cons
low pay, bad management, low job security and no room for growth
I shuold have checked this out more before I started
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 14, 2013
I was very disppointed that this organization has trouble aligning their values to their actions. Top Management is very out of touch with the realities of thier business, do not listen to field managers, and adhere to a Naziesque report on your co-workers for revenge system of management.

The organization has to keep lowering the requirements to be "Diabetic" as ascare tactic to raise money.
Pros
pay was good, important mission
Cons
low ethics, out of touch leadership
Great work life balance, Lots of days off
MISSION DELIVERY, MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 11, 2014
Management was intimidating and unfair. Office culture was unproductive with no team building or moral. No respect for volunteers- this place was all about the money! You are only as good as the dollar amount you brought in. Very stressful! No room for advancement unless you kiss major butt. Days off will come in handy!
Pros
lots of off day which you will definately need!!
Cons
top heavy...no room for advancement unless you kissed major butt, intimidating work environment, no real resources for the public.