American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews in United States

Fundraising and public education is both fun and rewarding
Regional Fundraising Director (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 13, 2016
Every day is different. Developing volunteers, gaining sponsorship, working on events and knowing that what you are doing contributes to funding research and education on diabetes detection, prevention, management and ultimately a cure.
great place to work with goal oreinted team players
Event Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 3, 2015
The ADA was such a great place to work. Everybody was very welcoming, helpful, goal oriented and a true team player. I wish I could still work there but I needed FT with benefits and they only had temp positions available. I enjoyed recruiting participants, sponsors and vendors for various events to support the ADA and I also enjoyed educating & encouraging people about Diabetes.
Pros
Free Lunches and great Team Atmosphere
Cons
Didn't have FT employment
A great cause with declining results
Manager - Production Services (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 22, 2015
I spent 7 years working for the Association before I was let go during a mass layoff in October 2015. I had a great experience overall, gaining skills and building a professional network of tremendous coworkers and vendors. It's disheartening to watch the decline of the ADA overall. Struggles to increase revenue have led to many layoffs in the last few years. I wish the best for the Association in the future.
Pros
Good work/life balance, Good cause.
Cons
Entrenched upper management, lack of opportunities for advancement, lack of creativity and direction.
Rewarding Environment
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 5, 2015
As a non-profit organization, The American Diabetes Association, is an extremely rewarding environment. Getting to work with numerous corporate sponsors assisting in fundraising and support of the community. While also interacting with passionate volunteers and individuals living with diabetes. The experience was overall amazing.
Passionate employees navigating a sea of change
Manager, Talent Management (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 23, 2015
ADA is full of some of the most passionate people I've ever met. Employees are committed to the mission and that is seen daily in the amazing work the staff does. However, there has been much change within the organization over the past year and turnover is high. With a new Executive Team in place, it will be exciting to see what comes next for the Association.
Good place to work... Very passionate people who are committed to the mission and vision
Stewardship Manager, Individual Giving (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 23, 2015
Work is always exciting and I always look forward to coming in with a positive attitude. I love my team and managers.

It has been a great learning opportunity and have been charged with task beyond my capabilities to foster growth.
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 9, 2015
I was very disappointed that this organization has trouble aligning their values to their actions. VPs and EDs are very out of touch. No vision. The staff in the field office is constantly turning over. And it's too bad because there have been many very talented and experienced people passing through.
Pros
Cons
Stay away
Volunteer
Volunteer Special Events Planner-Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 17, 2015
I worked with Regina Fadoul; She is just wonderful. Very pleasant to be around, very willing to show me the ropes and helpful to all my questions. Diabetes is very close to my heart so knowing that she is willing to and sympathetic to my cause really makes me happy and feel welcomed.
Pros
Close to home, welcoming environment
Cons
Not many
A typical day at work
Health Educator (Internship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2015
Scheduling diabetes workshop, explaining to the community the importance of taking care when you are diagnosed with diabetes. Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Not Paid
Limited Room for Growth
Administration (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 8, 2015
Major changes in leadership in last year - CEO, new CEO recently appointed, seems to be making a lot of positive changes.
Lack of HR repsonse to employee issues. Lack of HR knowledge when it comes to policies. Policies are outdated or non existant.
Limited or no room for growth. Uncertainty and low moral in employee base due to operational changes and layoffs.
Leave benefits are excellent, - vacation, sick and personal.
Merit review process is odd, salary is not based on merit according to the management.
Excellent co-worker enviornment. Employess are hard working and dedicated, just not appreciated for going the extra mile.
Pros
Leave benefits
Cons
No room for growth
MAGIC "Making A Good Impression Count"
Corporate Recruitment Chair (Current Employee) –  110 Corporate Park, White Plains New YorkJuly 31, 2015
Working with the ADA has allowed me to have purpose, network with people that I would ever imagined knowing. I am honored to have traveled on their behalf, speak a the White House and be respected for who I am as well as what I do!
Pros
on the job training in fields that usually require college degrees.
Cons
budget...there is not enough money for staff, research and education.
Good place to get started or be an Executive
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EVENTS & FUNDRASING (Current Employee) –  TNJuly 7, 2015
The Association is a great organization that does a lot for people living with diabetes. Have learned many skills and have loved working with the organization. Other staff seems to be really dedicated and they encourage staff communications. The financial goals are difficult to achieve without the proper executive staff in place. Sometimes feels like the smaller field offices are left out to dry while the larger field offices are flourishing. The field offices are the main life line of funding and they have had a significant amount of staff reduction thus causing the current staff to handle too many events. Hopefully the new CEO will help re-establish these position and get more staff hired. Great place to get started and to grow to new positions if they are available in your area.
Pros
Nice work schedule, great benefits, people who seem to really care about the mission
Cons
work life balance is off
I sat on the Board of Directors as a Volunteers
Board of Directors- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 21, 2015
I was Committee Chair for an annual major fund raising The scope of this committee was to enlist local area businesses and individual to either become involved as a volunteer or to attend these events.
This included major fund raising from prospective attendees of the event and volunteers. There were 3 other events that I participated on an annual business, as well as attended committee meetings, Board events, i.e. dinners, I loved the fund raising and bringing new people on board.
Pros
Gold Tournaments, 5K walks, various other fund rasing.
Cons
None that I can think of, it was very rewarding I believe I forged some wonderful relationships.
Association is trying to find its way and increase its market share by continual re-structuring itself. This has its pros and cons.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 8, 2015
Having worked at all levels of the Association, there is great enthusiasm among its volunteers and new staff, especially at the local level. However as you rise through the organization, the ease of systems for staff becomes cumbersome and many national departments lose sight of the fact that they are there to serve the field and make them successful by removing obstacles to that success.

What is wonderful about the Association is its dedication to people with diabetes and those who serve them. However more local autonomy would improve that and positively impact the field's perception of how helpful the national office is to their work.
Pros
Staff dedication to the mission
Cons
putting systems over substance.
clean up help crew (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 16, 2015
I did volunteer work it was always a nice healthy working environment. I usually worked 7-8 hours a day usually weekends. It was a great experience to have for future job opportunities. My co-workers were professional an management was always helpful. The hardest part was getting things organized but no big deal.
Pros
free lunch nice break time good work conditions
Cons
sometimes unorganized
Would like more resources
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 8, 2015
You have to do a lot of promoting for the special events and convince people as to why your cause is worthy of their generosity.

I have learned that there are negative stereotype among the general public about diabetes and most of them simply are not true.

I do wish management would show more support to make their smaller markets more successful.

Co-workers are great if you are lucky enough to have well blending personalities.

The hardest part is making sure that the community gets the help they deserve and that the resources are up to date.

The most enjoyable part is when you do get someone in need of help to the resources they need and to know they care getting the help they were looking for.
ok workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 19, 2015
lots of cold calling, running errands, showing up to all events. the staff was very demanding and put a lot of pressure on new interns to basically fill their roles if they didn't have time to get to everything.
Pros
other college interns
Cons
demanding work staff
comfortable work space, team oriented
Associate Director, Fundraising & Special Events (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2015
It's a small staff and everyone has her own responsibilities but no one has a problem coming together as a team to make sure a project is completed or goals are met. Recruitment, training and management of fundraising volunteers is a major part of the day-to-day routine to ensure that the fundraising goal of the event is met.
The Executive Director often means well but sometimes makes a situation more complicated than necessary. The Executive Director believes in collaborating with staff as part of a team and values each member's opinion.
The hardest part of this job is that there seems to be a disconnect between the corporate/home office and field offices. Oftentimes it is difficult to get any support or the resources needed to be successful at your job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is leveraging opportunities to build relationships with potential corporate donors.
Pros
flexible work schedule, little supervision, easy access to public transportation
Cons
no paid parking, morale is low
A place to be involve in help changing the community regarding diabetes awareness.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Since it is a non-paid internship, a typical day at work would be going around asking if anyone needs help. Since it is volunteer work, so there are days when there isn't much to work on and there are days works are piling up. The management here was really helpful, and the staff were very friendly.
Pros
experience with working in a non-profit organization
Cons
it was not a paid-internship.
Great enviroment.
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Worked for 10 years in same position never promoted which bothered me which led me to rebel, ultimately laid off afterward. Somewhat discriminatory toward minorities.
Pros
good pay