American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

Great workplace, fulfilling work
CAMP COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Park River, ND; Hudson, WIJanuary 30, 2018
Working at camp for the ADA has been incredible, I have learned a lot from the kids there and made some great friends. Although it is only a few weeks a summer that camp is in session, it is the best job I have ever worked and I would recommend it to anybody that enjoys working with children, diabetic or not. For a non-diabetic, it would actually be a great way to learn about healthcare and Type 1 diabetes in general.
Pros
Insulin provided, food provided, lodging provided, fulfilling work, excellent leadership
Cons
Sometimes stressful
I was a volunteer
Volunteering for the ADA (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2018
I was a volunteer and did not engage greatly with the association itself. I helped organize events for children. I would recommend this company to others for volunteering or work.
volunteer work
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 10, 2018
this is a relaxed and easy volunteer job, my family and I do fundraising through our Minneapolis St. Patrick's Day Association for kids to send them to Camp Needle Point.
Overall good place to work.
MARKET EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Left the job due to many changes in the organization, lack of communication and uncertainty of direction. Communication could have been better. Overall good place to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting out into the community to help people affected with all types of diabetes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Communication or lack of...
Excellend and collaborative work environment
Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2017
Loved my time there. I still volunteer for several events during the year. For example, being a Health Ambassador at Wellness Days, being trained and certified as an Advanced School Advocate
Pros
Doing work I loved, helping people with diabetes
Cons
great mission and vision impressive
National Senior Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 10, 2017
Education regarding Diabetes
identifying new volunteers and new donors
the difficulty of teaching old dogs new tricks
relaxed, but with a sense of urgency
working with the staff and volunteers was both the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
working with the volunteers and staff
Cons
not being able to cure the disease
Very Productive and enjoyable lace to work.
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 24, 2017
Learned how to work with and among many different and varied departments and executive staff.

Sometimes long days but environment was excellent and team effort by all.
Pros
non-profit, great staff and fun place to work.
Diabetes Association
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 13, 2017
I learned a lot about Diabetes while working at this Association. My Grand mother died from diabetes, and my mother suffered from Diabetes. It was a important matter when I was there! But my job was payroll and that's what I paid most attention to! There offices all over the country and payroll had to be process every two weeks for these person who look forward to getting there pay check.
Pros
I learn a lot about Diabetes
Cons
It was a cutthrot jpb!
productice
Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2017
This is a society of medicine
They publish journals
do conferences
conduct research
They care about their members
They advocate for their members
I would recommend it.
Roller Coaster Atomosphere
Development Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 25, 2017
You are constantly told to do one thing then immediately do the opposite. There is no leadership from the national office, you are left alone in the field to fend for yourself.
Pros
Pto
Great!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHSeptember 6, 2017
It was a great place to get started in non-profit work. I got to use my writing skills and it was awesome to get work out there. It was one of my first places to intern at.
Great learning experience
Special events intern (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 1, 2017
I interned here for the summer and got a lot of hands on in the field experience. I had many different responsibilities. I contacted possible vendors for our event. Also called organizations and companies to encourage them to start a team.
Pros
lots of different responsibilities
Cons
unpaid
great
Event Site Set Up Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 30, 2017
Honor a loved one you've lost by making a donation in their memory. Your gift will help advance critical diabetes research and support education, advocacy and awareness programs that improve the lives of people with diabetes. When we receive your gift, a tree will be planted to create a beautiful, living memorial to the person you've lost.

Diabetes is as invisible as it is deadly, impacting our families and our communities. Every 23 seconds someone is diagnosed with diabetes. Diagnosis means you are much more likely to go blind. To lose a limb. To die of a heart attack or a stroke. Millions more are at high risk of developing diabetes. We must take a bold action and increase our investment in research to turn this tide. With your support, together, we can continue to fight back.
Used to be a GREAT place to work
Manager, Research Programs (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 17, 2017
The mission of ADA is awesome, but lately the culture has taking a hit because of the unstable nature of working in a non-profit org in today's economy. Massive layoffs and people taking on multiple duties has made working at ADA a very nerve wrecking atmosphere. It used to be a very family like environment. The CEO who changed this culture has abruptly left, but he left an unfortunate legacy. Hopefully, things will turn around in the near future.
Fiscally Irresponsible
Overworked (Current Employee) –  Hellertown, PAAugust 16, 2017
Fiscally Irresponsible. Management is horrendous. The chapters share the same EIN yet no one knows what donor dollars are being used for across chapters. It's a disgrace. The HR depr has got to go! They are the gatekeepers for hiring. Management is beyond mediocre and soaking with racism- ugh.
Pros
The mission
Cons
Worst management, overall racist tendencies, horrendous HR
stressful
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 3, 2017
sometimes this job can be a stressful enviorment you just have to m ake do of what you have and can to make it through the the people are cool but some people are just not fit for this type of job
Pros
sometimes flexx hours
Cons
gossip area
Temporary
Temporary Outreach Coordinator (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2017
Very top heavy at HQ level
Not well organized
Slow to pay expenses
Non responsive
No volunteers
Staff stretched too thin
Inconsistent in their direction
Mission Driven; great team
Manager, Development (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 21, 2017
Flexible schedule and fantastic local leadership. Work-life balance is difficult to maintain during times of transition or heavy event season. National leadership has gone through a lot of turnover 2014-present and has resulted in periodic reorganization. This has limited the opportunity for growth even with the addition of new positions. Local staff team is phenomenal and organization is very mission driven.
Fight for a Cure
Data Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 18, 2017
Great work enviornment but there wasn't really room for growth within the organization. The ADA really focuses on finding a Cure and offereing resources to seek assistant for diabetes management and care in the community.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No room for promotions
Overall
Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMay 10, 2017
Going through national transformation at the time. Direct manager was fantastic to work and great overall team environment. Overall lots of change and transition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Diabetes Association. Our community is ready to answer.