American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

Great Work Life Balance
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 12, 2017
The American Diabetes Association is a friendly community like environment, where you can learn and grow. I have enjoyed my time here at the ADA, the people here want each other to succeed and they care personally and professionally. It is a business casual feel and relaxed tone. It is a perfect place to learn.
Pros
Family Oriented
Cons
Wages are low because it is Non-Profit
prioroties
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAApril 3, 2017
hard to raise money for an organization when they blow it on trips, new signs when they could reuse. the staff changed serval times the little amount of time I was there.
Internship
SPECIAL EVENTS AND FUNDRAISING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2017
My internship with American Diabetes Association was an unbelievable experience. It gave me a chance to learn as well as challenge myself. Working to accomplish a goal is amazing when you see that the end result turned out great!
Was a great experience and got to work with kids
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMarch 15, 2017
My favorite part is getting to work with the kids and developing leadership skills and also having more knowledge about diabetes and lifelong friendships.
Productive and fun place to work but job security is a concern
Specialist - Rights and Permissions (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 7, 2017
Great place to work but job security was an issue. I learned a lot of my administrative and organization skills at the American Diabetes Association. The most enjoyable part of my job was coordinating with foreign and domestic publishers to ensure smooth and timely processing of requests. I no longer work for the American Diabetes Association.
Struggling organization
Administrative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 23, 2017
Recent reorganization resulted in "regionalization" of services and large reduction in field staff. Areas already handcuffed by limited resources will struggle even more to provide a bare minimum of services and an even smaller revenue stream for a cash strapped entity.
Pros
Generous vacation and PTO
Cons
Lack of transparency from C-suite, ever increasing out of pocket healthcare costs with decreasing benefits, dated technology
Little to no support from the national or regional staff
Development (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2017
Field offices are often understaffed and underpaid with little to no support from the national office and have little to no access to necessary program information.
Fast Paced Environment
Associat Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 9, 2017
I had a good experience at the ADA. Unfortunately a newly hired VP didn't agree with any telecommuting. I had previously agreed to terms with a previous hiring director and it was not honored. A severance was reached.
Pros
Employee engagement, Tutorials/learning sessions paired with meals
Cons
Recruited me, didnt agree to terms contract after new hire
Work hard to make a difference in the community.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 7, 2017
The American Diabetes Association is a wonderful place to work hard and to gain experience in a nonprofit organization. Through the multiple annual campaigns you learn to work with members of the community to encourage and educate the public. Great team and wonderful work environment.
Very comfortable environment.
National Director Corporate Alliances (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 31, 2017
This organization provided the best diabetes education and awareness programs. Reaching more people in America with diabetes information than any other organization. The people who work for ADA are devoted and very collegial.
Pros
Professional environment.
Cons
A relatively flat organization.
Wonderful Hampton Roads Staff and Cause
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJanuary 30, 2017
I have been a volunteer for the American Diabetes Association for years, and all of my experiences with the organization have been positive and rewarding. That includes photographing at the annual "Tour de Cure" and "Walk" events, and speaking about my own personal experience living with type 1 diabetes on several occasions. The organization has a great presence in Hampton Roads, and I'm happy to contribute however I can.
Poor Culture and Unclear Objectives
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 28, 2017
The ADA is struggling to define its objectives and revenue streams. Throughout an ongoing restructure process, employees have little guidance on the infrastructure available to meet sales goals. New management is trying to turn the team around by hiring external candidates; however, this has led to an increasing number of skilled employees leaving at a time that sales goals are being increased.

Very little focus on the mission besides marketing the increased prevalence of the disease.

Catty work environment fueled by uncertainty throughout restructure process.
Decent place to work
Manager, Fundraising & Special Events (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 2, 2017
I had a great manager but there were a lot changes made when the new president came on board that changed the culture. One being that he deterred working from home, something my manager was very flexible with.
Great management and flexible working hours
Intern / Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2016
Great organization to work with. I really enjoyed working with their friendly staff.

The best part of job was raising funds for 2016 Diabetes Expo, helping community to prevent and manage their Diabetes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks
Community Advocate
Community Advocate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 27, 2016
● Presented programs to educate the communities about diabetes and diabetes prevention programs
● Wrote Grant Requests in order to obtain funding for diabetes prevention education programs
Work/Life Balance and Job Culture Not Good
Sr. Manager, Meetings & Travel (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 22, 2016
Organization going through changes and the employees are feeling the typical affects associated with organizational structural changes. Work/life balance is associated specifically with the job I'm currently in. Work/life in other departments is ok, except the culture suggests you check your emails even if you're out of the office, on vacation or sick. Because someone always has an urgent request needing immediate attention. It's not healthy.
Pros
Does not value their employees
Associate Director of Development (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 6, 2016
This company has become the ugliest to work for within the time I have been here. The upper management is cut throat and it creates an environment of hostility and uncertainty.
Productive and fun office environment.
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the office environment, my co-workers and the overall culture of the organization. I would suggest ADA to anyone looking for a position at a wonderful organization.
Excellent Non Profit About the Business of Whom They Serve!
EA/Manager for Legal & Administrative Affairs (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 14, 2016
I enjoyed greatly working for this wonderful organization! The culture is great and the reason why we worked so hard is thinking daily about those living with and affected by Diabetes. It was very rewarding!
Fundraising and public education is both fun and rewarding
Regional Fundraising Director (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 13, 2016
Every day is different. Developing volunteers, gaining sponsorship, working on events and knowing that what you are doing contributes to funding research and education on diabetes detection, prevention, management and ultimately a cure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Diabetes Association. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval