Leads project teams in the initiation, planning, execution, and closeout of AEFCU and IT departmental projects. Assists in development of business cases for proposed projects. After project approval, finalizes project requirements, develops project definition, plan, schedule, and budget. Monitors progress during project execution to ensure timely completion of projects. Routinely reports project status to AEFCU senior management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for managing high profile and high-level corporate strategic projects, as well as IT departmental projects
- Manages several projects and project teams simultaneously, the number of which is based on size, complexity, and the phase as assigned by the project management office director.
- Assists in the development of preliminary studies of proposed projects. Identifies and clarifies business problems, client requirements, project scope, project benefits, and preliminary project cost and schedule estimates. Assists in the preparation of project cost/benefit analysis.
- Determines resources required to execute projects. Works with functional supervision to influence selection of project team members. Determines the appropriate balance in the utilization of internal vs. external resources in project execution. Defines project roles, responsibilities, and performance expectations for all team members.
- Manages outside vendors and Application Service Provider efforts on project teams.
- Conducts Project Management tools, techniques, and methodology training for functional area resources. Acts as main point of contact for training and support for functional area project managers.
- Determines level of client involvement needed. Solicits client representative for team participation, if appropriate.
- Coordinates and prepares alternative identification and selection processes. Works with team to fully define and develop the appropriate project solution to business problem and identify key project results. Coordinates the preparation of a formal project definition document.
- Coordinates and prepares the development of comprehensive project plans. Works with project teams in preparation of key planning documents, including work breakdown structure, project control schedule, project milestone schedule, resource plan, and project budget.
- Performs a comprehensive risk analysis to ensure that potential threats to project success are identified, analyzed, and addressed through mitigation or contingency strategies.
- Continually reviews project status. Monitors project schedules and other key planning documents to ensure successful completion of project. Evaluates and measures plan vs. actual and takes corrective action to meet or exceed project objectives.
- Considers the needs of all departments affected by the project. Ensures that a balanced approach is achieved, while primarily satisfying the overall needs of AEFCU.
- Builds and manages effective teams. Resolves interpersonal conflicts, manages performance issues in a timely manner, maintains a motivational climate, negotiates win/win solutions, and recognizes individual and team accomplishments or results.
- Uses formal change management and change request procedures to handle variances from the project plan.
- Ensures compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements related to the project.
- Monitors project activities to continuously ensure alignment with company strategies, business needs and AEFCU philosophies. Continually measures and evaluates progress toward the achievement of AEFCU’s strategic objectives.
- Conducts regular project team meetings.
- Reports project status to the project management office director and AEFCU senior management on a regular basis. Additionally, will provide status updates to senior management and project sponsors.
- Works with team and client representative to establish acceptance criteria.
- Maintains, a comprehensive, organized, and current file of important project management documentation for potential future reference.
- Conducts a lessons learned study. Transfers key findings to appropriate AEFCU personnel.
- Acts as a role-model and provides assistance to project managers and/or analysts within the PMO. Helps lower level project managers develop skills and experience within the realm of project management through hands-on education and demonstration.
- Works with the PMO Director to establish and complete business plans that expand the PMO maturity level and accomplish department goals.
- Provides project management training and/or education to team members and other credit union employees.
- Works with project management director to identify and resolve issues relating to the project management software. Assist in all software updates, enhancements, and report writing. Adds new procedures to the project management process manual.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Strong project management process skills - Proficient in the development and application of all basic project management tools and techniques, such as work breakdown structure, schedule preparation, budget preparation, cost and schedule estimating resource analysis, and progress measurement. Able to conduct a thorough project risk analysis. Proficient in project management software for scheduling and reporting project status.
Fundamental business knowledge and skill - Understands and utilizes financial concepts (Net Present Value, Internal Rate of Return, decision tree analysis, cost/benefit analysis, breakeven analysis, etc.) to influence decision-making. Understands AEFCU project identification, selection, and budgeting process. Understands AEFCU’s strategic goals, objectives, and competitive positioning approach. Familiar with basic marketing approaches, such as competitive analysis, customer survey processes, etc. Understands principles of contract administration, material procurement processes, and purchasing systems.
Strong analytical skills -Objectively analyzes situations and potential consequences to determine best resolution. Makes appropriate decisions in a timely manner. Accurately assesses the quality of most technical decisions and recommendations. Ensures that all departments or disciplines are appropriately represented in arriving at balanced decisions.
Effective written, oral, and listening skills - Keeps team members, stakeholders, clients, and AEFCU senior management informed of appropriate project information on a timely basis.
Proficient in customer awareness and management -Knowledgeable of customer operations and business. Understands specific customer needs and impact of project deliverables on customer’s business and operations.
Strong interpersonal/personal skills - Works effectively with a variety of people from different departments. Able to effectively resolve interpersonal conflict. Able to influence without having formal authority. Identifies strengths, weaknesses, and motivational needs of others. Delegates appropriate amount of responsibility to others. Negotiates fairly and effectively. Is resilient and tenacious in the face of pressure, opposition, constraints or adversity. Actively seeks feedback. Builds and leverages formal and informal networks to accomplish goals.
Strong team leadership skills - Encourages team to take ownership of project. Clearly defines roles, responsibilities and performance expectations. Fosters collaboration amongst team members. Promotes team participation in problem solving and decision making. Removes obstacles that impede team progress, readiness or effectiveness. Shares credit, keeps blame. Creates urgency needed to accomplish projects in a timely fashion. Trusts and empowers team members.
IT Project Skills - Prior experience successfully managing IT deployment projects . Experience working with technology vendors and managed service providers. Working knowledge of information technology concepts.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in business or project management, and five to seven years of experience in project management or business projects; or equivalent combination of education and experience. MBA is desirable, but not required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PMP Certification required; Six Sigma certification desirable, but not required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to use project management software and tools. Software includes scheduling, cost tracking, resource utilization, and status reporting. Virtual tools include collaboration and reporting forums.
- Fully competent in using Microsoft Office applications.
- Business knowledge to develop business cases and understand and understand the relationship to projects and business profitability and how projects can positively or negatively impact business results.
- Knowledgeable of basic quality tools such as Pareto analysis, histograms, affinity diagramming, influence diagramming, etc.
Indeed - 19 months ago