American Eagle Outfiters Employee Reviews

Found 2,111 reviews matching the search
Fast paced and exciting workplace with excellent teammates
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAFebruary 15, 2016
The most enjoyable part of being a manager in a Retail setting is working with the youth in their first job. Watching them grow and develop with your guidance. I work with an advanced group of managers who are as passionate as I am about our work. A typical day at work for me is always different so there is not a chance to become complacent. The customers make my job very enjoyable knowing you have helped build someone's self confidence. In this type of industry you are always learning new management techniques and ways to train your employees. I work hand in hand with upper management who continuously train and develop their managers to be the best.
Pros
Customer interactions, a fast paced day, brand passion
Cons
Little work/life balance, late hours
Ridiculously immature workplace w/o shred of decency
Cashier Lead (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 31, 2016
You are expected to do a lot more htan the responsibilities outlined in the job requirements; also required to do more than what is in your scope of duty. The upper management is fairly bad at communicating with the team and each other. Rules are made up at any point in time without any written guidelines. Human resources will not get back to you in regards to calls made on the "AEO Hotline." Regardless of who makes the schedules they are 95% of the time NOT made on time and given to the employees.
Pros
10 minute breaks on the house
Cons
Short breaks, menial compensation, lack of unity, no respect for employees time
Ever changing and challenging work environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXSeptember 9, 2015
- Maintaining a customer focused team from associates to assistant managers.
- I learned how to manage and keep a team motivated in an ever changing environment. Excellence and organization are the key to a prosperous business.
- Upper management could have been more supportive and involved, but this did challenge me to figure out opportunities in my store.
- Co-workers were great. We had open lines of communication and supported each other to give each other advice and encouragement.
- The hardest part of my job multitasking all of the last minute changes to our plans. They seemed to happen more than they should.
- The most enjoyable part was interacting with my repeat customers and training/ seeing my team grow.
Pros
work life balance, great benefits and PTO
Cons
breaks were hard to take, upper management not being fully involved
Fun workplace
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 29, 2016
Cashier, great management staff! Amazing work culture. Everyone was always on the same page. Responsible for opening and closing store, keeping store clean, enrolling customers in award cards and credit cards, sale, fun workplace.
Pros
staff would provide lunch, fun atmosphere
Cons
standing on feet for hours of the day
Productive and Fun working place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 19, 2016
American Eagle was one of the best floor sales jobs I had. It really taught me a lot about sales and marketing and knowledge about quality of the product I would be selling. I also learned how to open and sale credit cards and was awarded top credit card sales. We had to meet a daily sales quota so product knowledge was highly important as well as excellent customer service as well. Add ons at the end of a sale purchase was very important because it helped reach the sales quota. I enjoyed working with all co workers at this job and every part was highly enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible schedules, lunches
Cons
Healthcare, benefits
Meant to be temporary.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FLAugust 19, 2016
I have learned a lot, and I am still learning; however, this job is meant to be taken very lightly in terms of permanence. A typical day was usually hectic and extremely busy, and very rarely there were days were no one walked in.
Be prepared to literally "live your life" at American Eagle, because there are lots of call-ins, which means that you can't be positive that you can have a day off. Co-workers are generally very lively people who love to socialize, which was very enjoyable whenever you are feeling down.
Hardest part is getting no hours, and management doesn't really care most of the time. I will remember this job, not only because it was my first. American Eagle has a long way for construction.
Pros
Sometimes there is a nice environment
Cons
Short breaks, no hours, no commission for selling
A Solid Company Indeed.
o Head Cashier/ Seasonal Manager/Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 14, 2016
In a typical day of working at American eagle outfitters, you can expect to be on your feet all day, bossed around by sometimes rude but mostly demanding customers. However even though it is tiring and hard work, if you are doing the work and not just being lazy, it pays off. In a year I was promoted 3 times and had I not been moving for school I would have been up for a 4th promotion. The hardest part of the job was the floorsets, which were a necessary evil. However in my opinion not enough hours and training hours were provided to do more then an adequate job. I did deeply enjoy the culture American Eagle has created for its associates and customers. Besides a few minor issues behind the scenes, American Eagle Outfitters is a very solid company.
Pros
Lots of incentives and additional benefits
Cons
Not all stores are equal quality
The Discounts are incredable
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2016
My co-workers are always a pleasure to be around but management is poor. There are alot of kids working there while thye prepare to go to college so managers tend to treat all of their associates as kids even if you are much older then them. Thats another thing the managers are mostly teenagers still and act on personal judgement rather then acting professionally. The store focus way to much on getting customers to apply for credit cards or sign up for rewards then actually providing great customer service. Now the discounts are amazing. You can get up to 80 percent off on all American eagle products and its easy to obtain titles like Jean Expert and Stylist. Those are how you get your 80's discounts but their normal employee discounts are just as good since its 60 percent off of 12 American merchandise items and limitless 40 percent off, the 40's you can use on family.
Fun people to work with, great job for someone who is still in school.
Sales Associate and Stylist (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RIAugust 23, 2015
All the people that I work with are great, and the management is very supportive. The most enjoyable part of my day is helping customers find exactly what they're looking for in the store. This job was perfect for me when I was still in school, but now that I've graduated my weekly paychecks don't cut it. Having hours that fluctuate from week to week is also a huge issue for me and I am now looking for something more stable. Great job for someone who is still in high school or college and looking to make some money here and there, after that the job gets very frustrating. I have worked with the company for three years and gained more and more responsibility, however and the only raise I received was when minimum wage went up each year.
Pros
Gained experiece, met great people
Cons
Short breaks, fluctuating hours, minimum wage
Fun, but management should be different
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 1, 2016
A day at work isn't enjoyable most times. Ive learned to better skills with customers and trying to accommodate to their liking. Management isn't okay and some should be fired or have to step down to a different shop or possibly relocate. Hardest part of my job is trying to get along with two of my managers, they are just lazy and don't do their job well enough for everyone else who works there.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Worked towards serving every customer with finding the prefect outfit.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 28, 2016
A typical work day would include speaking to every customer and getting to know them in a short period of time to help them find the perfect size, style, and outfit. From working at this job, I have learned to be more outgoing and my communication skills have advanced, due to the fact that I have to listen and understand what the customer is looking for. I have worked at two American Eagle locations,. I would say that I had an amazing experience in my first location, but I cannot say the same for the my current location, due to the style of management. I would say the hardest part of working here would be working with the management styles at the Elmhurst location. Other than the management styles, I love working here, as I get to meet many people everyday and I get to use my creativity to style customers.
Don't Work Stock Here
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNJanuary 31, 2016
The management seems to care less about any stock workers at any job, but especially this one. With traffic and even leaving an hour early, it was still difficult to make it to work to begin with and after break. The Main company has unrealistic goals for stock teams and the times on our schedules, in the months I worked there, I never once got off work when I was scheduled to. I worked many overnight shifts and my hours never added up to the check I received-a complaint I heard from many employees.
Pros
Most of the employees were nice while you worked there but not after, discount on merchandise
Cons
Ignored availability sheet, never got to leave when schedule stated, didn't want to pay for hours worked
Day at American Eagle
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 21, 2016
Enters price changes by referring to price sheets and special sale bulletins.Discounts purchases by redeeming coupons.
Collects payments by accepting cash, check, or charge payments from customers; making change for cash customers.
Verifies credit acceptance by reviewing and recording driver's license number; operating credit card authorization system.
Provides pricing information by answering questions.
Maintains checkout operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as need
American Eagle Outfitters
Stock Lead (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 21, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed my experience of two years at American Eagle Outfitters. A typical day in the life of a sales/stock associate consists of a lot of moving parts; and there was always a task to be completed. Floorsets were a lot of fun, and a great way to get some good hours in! As AEO was my first real, retail job, I can walk away saying that I learned a lot about professionalism, and learning to create a work/life balance. I have learned so many skills in my work, that came as a familiar understanding to what I learning in school. After being promoted to a BOH Lead, I realized there were even more moving parts to the job I was assigned. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all bases were covered at all times, as things move extremely quickly in the fast paced environment. The environment was my favorite part of the job, as I felt comfortable and felt like I was always welcomed.

Overall, this company is a great company to work for if you're starting off in the retail journey and are studying things such as Fashion Industry/Sales.
Pros
Discount
ameicaneagle
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 6, 2016
I liked this job but i really only took it to have extra cash, it was a pretty fun laid back job but not very promising in promoting or being a stable career.
there was no 401K for part time employees so a future there wa snot promising.
Productive workplace, room for adavancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 4, 2016
This company is always changing, in the best way possible. The company is growing internally and internationally. There is always room to advance and the company prefers to promote within.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Productive and great working environment. Love working with people.
Sales person (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 3, 2016
Typical day work is folding clothes, cleaning the dressing rooms out, helping customers, and checking out people at the cash register.

I have learned to not be nervous when asking customers questions or helping them.

My managers are nice and when all the work is done and there is nothing to do when we aren't busy they allow us to stand around and talk to each other unless there is something to be done.

My co-workers are very nice and take in new workers very well.

The hardest part of the job is finding something to do when its not busy and all the tables are nice and clean.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with people and help them.
Pros
10 minute paid break
Great college job, but not great for long term
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 5, 2016
While I absolutely love working here, it is time to put my skills to the test! I truly enjoy assisting others and doing what I can to make their day just that much better. I have learned a lot about being detailed, social skills, and what it takes to provide great customer service. Honestly, my coworkers and management is what has really drawn me in. They are great people to work with!
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 1, 2016
Worked in various different situations including assisting customes one on one, organizing the stock room, and taking in shipment orders.

Learned the importance of time management and meeting goals that are set for me in order to help the company grow in a positive way.

Management was encouraging but stern in their expectations of the employees.

Co-workers were enjoyable to be around, and helpful when there was ever a task that I could not complete on my own.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with unpleasant customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling after successfully helping a customer with whatever they needed, and meeting the daily goals set.
Pros
Working with positive people
Review of an ok place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAJune 22, 2016
I was a seasonal sales associate at American Eagle so i didn't get the whole entire experience working there. Did get to try different jobs, like greeter, working the fitting rooms with another employee, or general working one of the parts of the store and helping keep the store clean and organized. The supervisor was ok but was hard to find someone sometimes if you had a question you didn't have the answer too. Also, you were given barely any hours.
Pros
ok place to work
Cons
no benefits unless maybe you had a higher up position, not sure. you would be given barely any hours. would be given a lot of duties

American Eagle Outfiters Reviews by Location