American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

N/a
Senior Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 17, 2017
My typical workday was staying busy. I enjoyed my job and my coworkers. Loved the bonuses that were given. I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission.
Just a large corporation
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 15, 2017
The pay is decent, i had no benefits because I was a contractor, everyone keeps saying there are advancement opportunities but there doesn't seem to be any clear cut way to do so. Many people working the same role for 4+ years, seems to be more about who you know and if you are liked than actual merit.
Pros
If you know what you want you can probably get it
Cons
You are just lost in the crowd
A place with great employers and a close knit work force.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Avon, INNovember 14, 2017
The employers and higher up employees of this company are extremely helpful and fair to their employees as long as you work. Very relaxed feel between workers and employers. Will provide 40 hours if you are willing to work it but also voluntary days off if you choose to participate when work slows down. Also provides voluntary Saturday's as overtime when it gets busy. Offers great benefits and takes care of employees. This is an employer that as long as you have a good work ethic will go out of their way to help you when you need it. Couldn't ask for a better place to work!
Pros
Consistent schedule, Flexible, Helpful, Relaxing
Cons
Higher risk of injury due to construction site working
it was alright
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 12, 2017
it was fine i guess. it could be pretty boring cause you are there a lone a lot and hardly work with anyone. but it was relaxed and as long as you can follow intructions its an easy job
Pros
easy
Cons
lonely
Good place to work if you can stand the periodic shakeups!
Analyst/Manager- Risk & Insurance Management (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 2, 2017
Had the great privilege to serve with some of the best people in the industry, and grow professionally professionally as a result of the many challenges I was given.
Management makes decisions based upon favoritism
UNDERGROUND DAMAGE PREVENTION ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHOctober 31, 2017
Working in the department that I did, I saw just how boring an office job can be. The work was incredibly monotonous, however it was necessary in order to save the company money, and keep people safe. However, the management within seemed to care more about those employees who would endear themselves to management, and less about those that did not have the time to do so, as they were too busy doing their job.
Pros
Air conditioned building
Cons
Lack of respectable management
Great company to work for
Transmission Right of Way Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 17, 2017
Great company to work for, however, the management needs to be revamped. Most management positions do not funnel the proper information down the ranks and employees are left to make decisions without guidance. This causes an unnecessary amount of stress.
Great Company to work for. Great job advancement. Great People.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHOctober 11, 2017
My day started between 7am and 8am. My years at AEP were divided between Customer Service in the office and outdoors reading electric meters. We had daily safety huddles. It was always important to stay aware of your surroundings. I accepted customers' payments for their monthly bills, I performed adjustments to accounts that were read wrong in error. I transported monies to financial institutions. As a meter reader, I walked daily from house to house reading meters. Some meters were located in desolate areas and others in narrow traveling lanes. I walked in rain, snow, sleet, hail and many other weather conditions in order to do my job. I enjoyed the people i worked with and I enjoyed meeting customers out and about on my daily routes.
Pros
Benefits. Job Advancement
Cons
Walking in bad weather.
line work
Line Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHOctober 10, 2017
I was only at this job for 6 months, it was temporary. for the most part I did grunt work, digging holes and setting poles. lots of overtime. everytime it storms, count on going to work and wear your rain suit.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard work and long hours
Awesome
STATION ELECTRICIAN B (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work..room for advancement...laid back..great pay.. and they always keep safety first. I would recommend this company to anyone. Great place to work.
American Electric Power
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Conesville, OHOctober 9, 2017
Its a very good place to work. There are many types of opportunities and many locations in which to work. Job security is somewhat stable but power generation with coal is on its way out.
The only company i've worked for that cares for the employee
Customer Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Hurricane, WVOctober 7, 2017
The culture here is something to be proud of. The company itself cares about the personal life of the employees. It promotes healthy relationships in personal life and work life. AEP is the perfect company to build a career with.
Good environment
Sr. Project Manager Audit (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2017
Spent 22 in sec reporting
6 years in audit
Internal was exciting and was treated extremly fair.
Love the variety and challenge. Save company million dollars.
Pros
Great supervisor
Rewarding and great pay. After 32 years ready for part time
Distribution Dispatcher 3 (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHOctober 4, 2017
Very fast paced, stressful but rewarding job. Resolve and initiate solutions to complex distribution
problems efforts from conflicting or inaccurate data. Being able to coordinate and handle multiple problems due to region wide outages.
Communication Skills: know what information to request and provide,and its urgency
Knowing with and when to share information. Is able to understand and transmit complex
information.
Decision making: make decisions that have an impact across organizational boundaries.
Make technical decisions
Pros
good pay and challenging
Cons
call outs, shift work, staffing
Professional staff, fair basic salary, annual incentive pay.
Contract Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2017
Excellent continuing professional education on site. Professional and hard working individuals. Very professional work force. Typical day involved interaction with employees and contractors.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Good Place to work
Electrical Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 1, 2017
AEP is a great place to work. The management and people they employ are top notch. The health insurance benefits are lacking like most companies dealing with our current healthcare situation.
Pros
Great work / home life balance and pay
Cons
Health insurance is rather poor
company is a basic electric utility
Managing Director - Finance/Unregulated Businesses (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 20, 2017
I was hired to lead the financial activities of the unregulated side AEP and the position lasted six months before AEP bowed out of the unregulated utility businesses and my reason for working at AEP disappeared. AEP quit the unregulated utility businesses as a direct result of the bankruptcy of Enron
A wonderful company to work for
Lead BI/Framework Modeler (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2017
Very challenging , new projects and very good management. Involved in all ETL, BI and system testing. Involved in requirement gathering, user training for Cognos Report Studio
Pros
Very good projects and challenging work
Safety is top priority.
Station Electrician Intern (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 17, 2017
AEP is a great company to work for, they compensate you well, and also make sure everyone leaves the same as they came in. The most enjoyable part is that you get to do something different almost everyday.
A comfy stable job that you can retire from
IT Software Developer Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2017
AEP is a comfy stable job that anyone could retire from. However (in my experience), they aren't looking for innovators. AEP is a good place if you want a 9-5 job (nothing wrong with that). For those who have the passion and desire to innovate, it feels as if you are restricted.
Pros
Stable, good benefits
Cons
Unchallenging, slow