American Electric Power (AEP)

American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews in United States

Aep
Graphic Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2016
I like the people I work with and i like the job just want to be hired on full time and get PTO and benefits. Also would like to find a job that uses my 4 year degree.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
Fun place to work with great benefits. It's very fast passed with great people to work with. High amount of politics in the management scene. Safety is not their highest concern.
Productive workplace, Plenty of Overtime.
Transmission Lineman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 4, 2015
Most of the work was out of town, but I learned an extensive amount of information working for a great Foreman. The higher was surprisingly involved with crews.
Overall, Good company with amazing benefits.
Stagnant Growth, Declining Benefits, Shareholder are Number 1
Principal Engineer /Manager Process Safety (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2015
The work at AEP has always been challenging and rewarding. With all of the EPA regulations and deregulation in Ohio, AEP has focused on the regulated utility model as the number 1 priority. We have great folks working at AEP that have risen to the challenge year after year to keep the company competitive. We are rewarded by fewer employees and less opportunities for growth.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Diminishing Benefits
A nice break room
Tool Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LASeptember 14, 2015
-I managed the tool room at my own pace

-There benefits are pretty good
- My supervisor was good to work with
- Nice group of guys to work with
Great place but could use more
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oologah, OKJuly 16, 2015
Lack of advancement opportunities. Great benefits, but is not my ideal location and coal power is shutting down. Union work so there is good and bad in anything. You sometimes might have to deal with an I do not care attitude at all levels.
Excellent pay and benefits
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conesville, OHApril 28, 2016
American Electric Power provided me with security and benefits that far exceeded most offered in this area, and I feel truly blessed to have worked there. When the company offered early retirement, I took advantage of their offer.

I am now looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to find a job utilizing the skills I have acquired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling, which is typical of many large companies
Productive Workplace
Distribution Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 7, 2015
Answer radios and telephones
dispatch trouble tickets
call customers
hardest part is shift work
get to talk with others
some days are really slow and some are fast paced- depends on amount of trouble
Pros
Good salary
Cons
shift work
Rewarding Work
System Control Center Reliability Coordinator Sr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Working as part of the largest transmission network in the United States always brought something new everyday. Fellow employees and management took pride in the work we performed to power modern life.
Great people to work with.
QA/Training (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 11, 2016
Fast-paced, constantly changing, and energetic environment. Safety oriented culture. Co-workers are like family and friends. Always something to do and very little down time. Keeps you on your toes.
Pros
The poeple you work with want you to succeed.
Cons
Time constraints and deadlines
A tale of two companies
Senior Risk Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2016
AEP is a very large corporation with lots of room for advancement. As with many large companies there can be politics involved. Depending on your group and management your experience will vary greatly.
Pros
Advancement in job category and plenty of room to pivot career path
Cons
Politics, Culture resistant to change, Management resistant to change.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
The people that I worked with were fantastic. I loved how we came together and got things done. The other people in the company were great as well. The problem arose with the high amount of politics that came from management. Safety is also not one of their concerns.
Not worth your time
Deck Hand - River Operations Division (Former Employee) –  Lakin, WVJanuary 24, 2015
If you are going to work out on the river I suggest another company other than this. It does pay more and they do have decent benefits but the promotion sucks and they have a click and if you are not apart of it then watch your back. I have seen good people get fired for minor infractions. I would work for Archer Daniels, Marathon or someone else if I was wanting to work on the river.
Pros
pay is decent and benefits are good
Cons
back stabbing, clickish, promotion sucks. you will be in your position for a while
Working at AEP has been a great opportunity for me.
Engineer Principal (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 5, 2016
AEP treats employees fairly, and they operate with a high level of integrity. They go to great lengths to protect their public image. I have been given challenging work assignments, but also the support and resources to accomplish these tasks.
Excellent Company to work for.
Non Exempt Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 5, 2015
Was a excellent and Safety minded company and care a lot for its employees. Got paid very well and excellent health and 401-K benefits.
Pros
Excellent Company to work for.
High Paced
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 31, 2016
Always had a paycheck. Overall good place to work. Good insurance overall fellow employees were good to work with. Enjoyed my time at AEP and the fellow employees.
Turk Project - Managemet
John W. Turk, Jr. Project (Former Employee) –  Fulton, ARFebruary 12, 2016
Excellent personnel. Director set the guidelines, simple. Each person knew their roll and gatekeepers. Direct boss & Engineers were outstanding and helpful. If you are not contract personnel, and find a place this good, stay there forever.
Pros
Directives plain & simple
Cons
did not get to see finished Plant Project
Good hard work for good pay.
Junior clerk (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 11, 2015
AEP is good to me. I love the benefits. Their training is excellent.

You must be flexible. Hard work is always rewarded. I started as a clerk. Did banking for AEP. Worked with petty cash. Balanced my cash drawer and the office. Was the supply clerk. I was an office supervisor.. I have worked with computer programmers.
good
Production Welder (Former Employee) –  Winfield, WVMay 2, 2015
A good place to work depending on the location. The pay is great and so is the benefits. Only downside is they are a coal driven company. Coal is not a bad thing but the government thinks so.
Company needs to offer additional training when employee needs it. Not just throw you to the wolves.
Transmission Operator (Former Employee) –  New Albany OhioAugust 23, 2014
Company is old school in why change if we have been doing it this way for 30 years.
It is time for the old management to retired and let the younger Management make the progressive changes needed. The AEP Training Dept is also in dire need of new leadership.
The TDC Operators need more respect and compensation for the job stress they work under. Overall work environment needs to be addressed before many of the Operators go elsewhere.
There is so much potential that is being restricted.
Pros
still trying to find one. once old management is out new albany will be a great place to work.
Cons
until old management is gone. too many to list.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Electric Power (AEP). Our community is ready to answer.