American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent pay and benefits
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conesville, OHApril 28, 2016
American Electric Power provided me with security and benefits that far exceeded most offered in this area, and I feel truly blessed to have worked there. When the company offered early retirement, I took advantage of their offer.

I am now looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to find a job utilizing the skills I have acquired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling, which is typical of many large companies
A tale of two companies
Senior Risk Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2016
AEP is a very large corporation with lots of room for advancement. As with many large companies there can be politics involved. Depending on your group and management your experience will vary greatly.
Pros
Advancement in job category and plenty of room to pivot career path
Cons
Politics, Culture resistant to change, Management resistant to change.
Working at AEP has been a great opportunity for me.
Engineer Principal (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 5, 2016
AEP treats employees fairly, and they operate with a high level of integrity. They go to great lengths to protect their public image. I have been given challenging work assignments, but also the support and resources to accomplish these tasks.
Rewarding Work
System Control Center Reliability Coordinator Sr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Working as part of the largest transmission network in the United States always brought something new everyday. Fellow employees and management took pride in the work we performed to power modern life.
High Paced
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 31, 2016
Always had a paycheck. Overall good place to work. Good insurance overall fellow employees were good to work with. Enjoyed my time at AEP and the fellow employees.
Great people to work with.
QA/Training (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 11, 2016
Fast-paced, constantly changing, and energetic environment. Safety oriented culture. Co-workers are like family and friends. Always something to do and very little down time. Keeps you on your toes.
Pros
The poeple you work with want you to succeed.
Cons
Time constraints and deadlines
Turk Project - Managemet
John W. Turk, Jr. Project (Former Employee) –  Fulton, ARFebruary 12, 2016
Excellent personnel. Director set the guidelines, simple. Each person knew their roll and gatekeepers. Direct boss & Engineers were outstanding and helpful. If you are not contract personnel, and find a place this good, stay there forever.
Pros
Directives plain & simple
Cons
did not get to see finished Plant Project
Aep
Graphic Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2016
I like the people I work with and i like the job just want to be hired on full time and get PTO and benefits. Also would like to find a job that uses my 4 year degree.
Dispatch
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 20, 2015
Really cool job working with the field reps. Taking their calls and enter in the information they provide you with and if they need something from you. Approving pay roll. Work environment was laid back but busy at the same time.
A great company to work for.
Designer/Drafter CAD (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHDecember 16, 2015
I loved the various things I did and learned there and would like to return full-time with this company. I know this company will continue growing with all of it's reputation.
Great job minimal hours
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYDecember 16, 2015
My boss has been great to me over the years however not able to keep me busy. I would like to get at least 40 hours per week and am not bothered by 60 or 70. It is very rare i get a full 40 hour week though.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not steady work
Meter reading was a mistake
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 22, 2015
Went to become a lineman have been stuck in this job with what seems no future. They are planning to lay people off and they are doing it by seniority. I have wasted almost two years chasing a dream that i was worthy of achieving. Instead i have to hurry and find a new job to provide for my family.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
The people that I worked with were fantastic. I loved how we came together and got things done. The other people in the company were great as well. The problem arose with the high amount of politics that came from management. Safety is also not one of their concerns.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
Fun place to work with great benefits. It's very fast passed with great people to work with. High amount of politics in the management scene. Safety is not their highest concern.
Manager, Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
Great people, dedicated to doing the right thing and keeping the lights on for its customers. Good opportunities to do work that touches peoples' lives.
Productive workplace, Plenty of Overtime.
Transmission Lineman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 4, 2015
Most of the work was out of town, but I learned an extensive amount of information working for a great Foreman. The higher was surprisingly involved with crews.
Overall, Good company with amazing benefits.
fun but to far
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 3, 2015
i worked with my parents here they owned the place. i loved meeting the customers and getting close. i just couldnt stand driving that far to work with my parents. they drive me crazy haha
Too much Politics
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Canton,OHOctober 2, 2015
Working with the dogs and people not being aware of the damage that can result from where they are tied up or let to roam in thier yard. Did not care for this job loved the walking but people have no reguard to what they put around the meters. I laughed sliding down a big mud bank to get to the meter that a person had boxed in under a porch he had built around it.
A nice break room
Tool Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LASeptember 14, 2015
-I managed the tool room at my own pace

-There benefits are pretty good
- My supervisor was good to work with
- Nice group of guys to work with
Good people to work with, lots of work, no time for personal stuff.
Protection and Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXAugust 30, 2015
Work is good, co-workers are great, management is average. It is a very interesting job to do, you can learn a lot, but is just way too time consuming, there is only time to eat and sleep, and then go back to work.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Personal time