American Electric Power (AEP)

American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Great place but could use more
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Oologah, OKJuly 16, 2015
Lack of advancement opportunities. Great benefits, but is not my ideal location and coal power is shutting down. Union work so there is good and bad in anything. You sometimes might have to deal with an I do not care attitude at all levels.
Great Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJuly 16, 2015
AEP was a great company to work for. I enjoyed mu job and wish I could continue to work for them. I learned a lot of thing while working for this company, they are very family oriented.
Productive Workplace
Distribution Dispatcher (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Good salary
Cons: shift work
Answer radios and telephones
dispatch trouble tickets
call customers
hardest part is shift work
get to talk with others
some days are really slow and some are fast paced- depends on amount of trouble
Stagnant Growth, Declining Benefits, Shareholder are Number 1
Principal Engineer /Manager Process Safety (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Diminishing Benefits
The work at AEP has always been challenging and rewarding. With all of the EPA regulations and deregulation in Ohio, AEP has focused on the regulated utility model as the number 1 priority. We have great folks working at AEP that have risen to the challenge year after year to keep the company competitive. We are rewarded by fewer employees and less opportunities for growth.
Good company to work for
Transmission Dispatcher Senior (Current Employee), New Albany, OHJune 17, 2015
Extremely busy days due to contruction projects and normal maintenance. Dispatching a transmission system of this size is a learning experience that never stops. Management can be difficult to work with at times but overall do a pretty good job. Co-workers are helpful for the most part and generally willing to help when the need arises. Hardest part of the job is making sure everything is performed perfectly/safely at all times. Most enjoyable part of the job is the job itself. Love dispatching.
Excellent Company to work for.
Non Exempt Supervisor (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Excellent Company to work for.
Cons: None
Was a excellent and Safety minded company and care a lot for its employees. Got paid very well and excellent health and 401-K benefits.
Busy enironment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), USAMay 29, 2015
Interesting role supporting Snr. Management
Learned the operations of providing electricity to customers
The hardest parts of the job was long hurs
Large corporation that provide many job opportunities throughout my 20 years.
Manager, System Help Desk (Former Employee), TulsaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Very good employee development programs
Cons: Numerous restrictions based on utility board (federal, state, and local) requirements.
The culture of AEP was very open and honest. The employees that worked hard and took pride in their work were rewarded. The daily work was based on the corporate business plan (both a 10-year and 5-year plan) so we all understood our role in making our company successful.
good
Production Welder (Former Employee), Winfield, WVMay 2, 2015
A good place to work depending on the location. The pay is great and so is the benefits. Only downside is they are a coal driven company. Coal is not a bad thing but the government thinks so.
Great Job
2nd Mate (Former Employee), Paducah, KYApril 27, 2015
If you want to be gone for 28 days then home for 28 days this is the job for you. The pay is great and the benefits are the best most place do not offer anymore. The work is hard but you are still making money.
Good hard work for good pay.
Junior clerk (Former Employee), Delaware, OHApril 11, 2015
AEP is good to me. I love the benefits. Their training is excellent.

You must be flexible. Hard work is always rewarded. I started as a clerk. Did banking for AEP. Worked with petty cash. Balanced my cash drawer and the office. Was the supply clerk. I was an office supervisor.. I have worked with computer programmers.
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2015
Great place for working mothers excellent benefit packages. Flexible hours are great for busy working parents. Great people to work eith
Good steady work
Maintenance Mechanic, Machinist (Current Employee), Rockport, IndianaFebruary 27, 2015
Enjoyed working here for many years. Co workers are like family. Just like everywhere else insurance is getting more expensive and they are cutting benefits. However for the area it is still a great place to work.
nice place to work
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), hurricane wvFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: family oriented
Cons: mandatory overtime
handled day to day operations of 11 states using PSC rules to help clients open, close service, trouble tickets, outages, payments taken
Productive, hardworking, and collaborative environment
Structuring Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: management, fast paced enviroment, constant change
Cons: longer than normal hours
Structure and price large wholesale power contracts, monitor costs associated with power delivery and develop risk mitigation practices to ensure costs are properly accounted for.
This company had it's pros and cons
Field Contract Manager (Former Employee), Winfield, WVFebruary 13, 2015
This was an okay good company to work for, as the pay was good. However, they were very disorganized at the corporate level and communication between corporate units was nonexistent.
N/A
Distribution Dispatcher III (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 31, 2015
Held multiple positions at this large corporation over 30+ years. The last 8+yrs I spent in the Distribution Dispatching group as a Dispatcher III. The work was fast paced and required someone comfortable at multi-tasking.
Not worth your time
Deck Hand - River Operations Division (Former Employee), Lakin, WVJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: pay is decent and benefits are good
Cons: back stabbing, clickish, promotion sucks. you will be in your position for a while
If you are going to work out on the river I suggest another company other than this. It does pay more and they do have decent benefits but the promotion sucks and they have a click and if you are not apart of it then watch your back. I have seen good people get fired for minor infractions. I would work for Archer Daniels, Marathon or someone else if I was wanting to work on the river.
First rate Organization
Fuels Contract Analyst (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: opportunity to grow from college green to mature business professional
Dallas based company - well run, lean .

People who from bottom to top did the right thing, rewarded success and set very high integrity standards.

Learned that big business can be run by savvy individuals that can maintain both Wall street success and a first class employee environment that challenges and promotes employee and business growth.
Meets Basic Standards
Work Week Manager (Current Employee), Bridgman, MIJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: good compensation and benefits
Cons: terrible work life balance
If you want your life to be all about the job and only the job this is the place to be.

1 2 3 4 5