American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Are you willing??
ICE Tech (Current Employee) –  WVJune 24, 2017
I can only speak from Generation experience. I worked for the roving maintenance group first. If you like travel and don't care about being away from family, you'll make money. I transferred into a permanent plant position. Front line supervision is pretty good on the whole, above that, it's the typical production grab mentality. You'll have to put up with the whole LEAN initiative (which hasn't worked), and the Sarban-Zoxley (sp) study that caused all the parts and tooling you need to disappear (God forbid a company has to pay tax on supply stock). The benefits have been decreasing steadily. If you want a place to gain experience in generation before they phase you out for the T&D profits, then AEP is for you.
Pros
Plants are a good place to work. Camaraderie. Union represented hourly workforce for the most part.
Cons
Steadily decreasing benefits, transition out of generation, inane policies about efficiency and saving money
Hated it
Customer Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 15, 2017
1star managers are inept job is easy too much work for the amount of pay managers are not sympathetic to any personal issues one may have there are double standards and some mgrs are racist
Prductive employer that cares about employees
Protection and Control Technician, Substation (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 15, 2017
Great place to work. I have no complaints, I like to keep options open as im not tied to down to any specific area at the moment. I like to keep resume upt o date for opportunity purposes.
Well established corporation
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIJune 15, 2017
Challenging and rewarding work environment. Depending on job position, time demands can be great. Developed strong management and leadership skills at the corporation.
rewarding occupation
Customer Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 13, 2017
The benefits and compensation were excellent. Shifts were hard to work at times being away from family late hours. Some of the metrics used were not attainable.
Fun for the most part
Stores Attendant A (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 8, 2017
Management could be so much better. A new rule is made up every time someone has an accident.

Learned about heavy equipment
Culture could be so much better. Seems like a good ol' boy system. If you don't do as they do you are stuck out
Pros
hours
Excellent job.
Balance Of Plant process supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conesville ohioJune 5, 2017
I would recommend anyone to work for them. Great revolving culture. Benefits are outstanding. Safety is first and foremost. Multiple chances to advance.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Coal facility....in this day and age it's tuff to keep up to EPA demands in a deregulated state
Frontline Enterprise IT Security
Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2017
Being a part of a team protecting one of the largest electrical infrastructures of our country was very exciting. AEP was at the forefront of Cyber Security & Physical Security and the marriage of the two. Great opportunities to learn and grow.
aep
AP/AR PAYROLL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, TXJune 2, 2017
I worked for RSO which is owned by AEP. it was a pretty new company and had a lot of flaws. overall the experience was great, very fast paced. AEP was and is a great company just the RSO division was lacking.
Contract Employ
Construction/Quality Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  VariousMay 21, 2017
I worked as a contract employee for 11 years as a construction coordinator. While at AEP I have worked on a variety of projects for many mangers, all of whom have treated me well.
Great benefits
Principal Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2017
A challenging corporate culture. Its a large fortune 500 company, therefore there is a lot of company guidelines. There is still a typical large utility culture.
Interesting
Administrative Associate I (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 7, 2017
The time I spent at American Electric Power I developed life long friendships and obtained business experience that will assist in my future job endeavors.
Excellent work environment.
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 30, 2017
Great work environment, loved everyone I worked with. They gave you every resource you need to succeed. No complaints. Everyone worked just as hard as their neighbor. Never felt that I couldn't ask anyone for help with new topics or projects.
Good place good people to work with
Designer, Communications 3-1/2 yrs (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 22, 2017
Worked as a contractor. Good atmosphere. Direct employees treated contractors with respect. Managers listened and were there to facilitate. Good work organization. The work day went pretty smooth.
Pros
Good people. Managers treated you well.
Cons
Not much chance to get hired on direct at that time.
Leading Electrical Generator
Engineer I, Fire Protection System Manager (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, MIApril 15, 2017
American Electric Power is a leading electrical generation supplier and transmission company. They work hard to keep things online and the electricity available.
Benefits
Cons
Can require long hours
Not a good work environment.
Engineering Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, LAApril 1, 2017
Politics was too ingrained with upper management. Often difficult to really understand what was wanted and needed from them. Felt as if there were unknown agendas. HR guidelines did not apply to the upper management group. I felt I could be disciplined or fired at any time with no reason. In my position I had no opportunity for arbitration.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Uncertainty, didn't always know what was being required and why.
Good projects
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 31, 2017
Good place for electrical engineers to work, great benefits for full time employees, job security. Interesting projects, good people to work with. Flexible for personal issues.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Antiquated processes
What I've Learned
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon, TXMarch 25, 2017
AEP is a great place to learn. They include all levels in the day to day decision making. AEP provides efficient amount of training for a person to better themselves.
Fun place to work, Home away from home environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 23, 2017
Very calm day, surprises would be food that was catered or that some had brought in for everyone. I learned to control a conversation with a customer on the phone by giving efficient and knowledgeable responses.
Great Management
Construction Lead Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, TXMarch 21, 2017
These guys are great to work for and with. There was no micro-managing. You were given your expectations at the beginning of the job and they left you alone to complete your task but were always just a phone call or an email away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Electric Power (AEP). Our community is ready to answer.

American Electric Power (AEP) Reviews by Location