American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A wonderful company to work for
Lead BI/Framework Modeler (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2017
Very challenging , new projects and very good management. Involved in all ETL, BI and system testing. Involved in requirement gathering, user training for Cognos Report Studio
Pros
Very good projects and challenging work
Safety is top priority.
Station Electrician Intern (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 17, 2017
AEP is a great company to work for, they compensate you well, and also make sure everyone leaves the same as they came in. The most enjoyable part is that you get to do something different almost everyday.
A comfy stable job that you can retire from
IT Software Developer Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2017
AEP is a comfy stable job that anyone could retire from. However (in my experience), they aren't looking for innovators. AEP is a good place if you want a 9-5 job (nothing wrong with that). For those who have the passion and desire to innovate, it feels as if you are restricted.
Pros
Stable, good benefits
Cons
Unchallenging, slow
Excellent place to work with unlimited opportunities.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVSeptember 13, 2017
AEP was a great place to work. Working there and retiring after 33 years of service, they were fair, had great benefits, encouraged and assisted in continued education with no limits of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Pay, benefits and opportunites for advancement
Cons
Depending where you worked could have mandentory overtime due to outages.
One of the leaders in the Tulsa community
Manager - Information Technology Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 12, 2017
Excellent promotion opportunities.

Provided training to help improve my overall skill set.

I worked in a very fast-paced department responding to employees Information Technology issues. We were given all the proper tools to effectively troubleshoot problems and get employees operational as quickly as possible.

I was also given the opportunities to work on community-oriented (volunteer) projects as this was a promoted philosophy at AEP.

As a manager I was selected to participate in numerous projects such as emergency management, IT life cycle management, deregulation projects, etc.
Pros
The training opportunities
Cons
Some limitations due to government regulations
industrial hygienist technician
Senior Industrial Hygienist Technician (Former Employee) –  Brilliant, OHSeptember 11, 2017
I worked as a industrial hygienist technician junior, also as a industrial hygienist, and industrial hygienist senior and a head of the union safety committee.
Vessel Captain / Pilot (Former Employee) –  Convent, LAAugust 24, 2017
Company is out of business. The company had great equipment and training. Management was not honest with its associates. High stress work environment.
Pros
Company is out of business
Cons
Company is out of business
Poorly trained management and inability to work with employee conflicts
SWITCHING AND TAGGING DISPATCHER II (Former Employee) –  Indiana Michigan PowerAugust 21, 2017
Good Benefits. Management was poorly trained and inexperienced. Management did not promote a diverse work environment. Employee complaints about supervision were ignored.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Unqualified supervision
I miss my career, relationships with my coworkers and the safety culture they provided.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 18, 2017
Awesome company to work for and provide service for our community. There are many career advancement opportunities and management cares about your safety and family life. I wish I could still work for them but I had to move. I wish other companies operated like AEP.
Pros
Great company.
Cons
None.
Worked as Intermediate clerk
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 17, 2017
Day started at 7:30 coffee already made workers arrived 6:30.
No problems working there - great environment and pleasant boss and job duties no problems.
Pros
learned well in office management
Cons
unannounced overtime
Great ownership
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAAugust 17, 2017
The work environment was a government site and was unchanging but, provided a great environment to work in. I enjoyed working with the management team.
Pros
Strong Ownership
Cons
Stagnate work culture
Enjoyed my time there.
PRINCIPLE ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2017
I spent over 20 years at AEP and enjoyed all of them. My peers were actually friends and I do miss working with them.

Big company with a big future in the energy industry.
Safest work environment.
Customer Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 5, 2017
Very good company to work for. Good management & great benefits. Very safe work environment. Customer service oriented with an emphasis on a great customer experience.
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHAugust 1, 2017
Great place to work. A true gem in corporate America. Great culture, values safety, looks for ways to improve the job, roles and responsibilities. Great benefits.
Great working environment with opportuinty for advancement!!
Logistics Consultant/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 1, 2017
AEP is a great company that invests in its employees. It promotes a great working environment with a focus on work life balance. Management is involved and encouraging with a hands off approach. I enjoy working for American Electric Power and would encourage all looking for a great company with a positive culture to apply.
Pros
work/life balance, trainng, advancement
great place to work
bill print operator (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 26, 2017
i learned how to operate an Bell- Howell Enduro machine, and how electric bills are mailed out. the people i worked with were the funnest part of the job
Pros
the shifts
Cons
sometimes had to wait on bills
Nice place to work
Unit Operator (Current Employee) –  Conesville, OHJuly 22, 2017
Nice place to work with good people for the most part.
Adequate training with great compensation for learning
401K match in line with industry standard
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Overtime
Company
Maintenance Manager and Technical Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIJuly 19, 2017
Good company. Production driven - poor in nuclear power. Mediocrity a norm. Very good people at plant. Good design. Accountability for workers is mixed.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 17, 2017
Good friendships and coworkers, management may be slightly disassociated with employee issues, plenty of work and company benefits and knowledge is provided about company culture
Keeping 3 Generating Units Runnin.
Maintenance Supervisor, Scheduler & Planner (Former Employee) –  Rockport, INJuly 14, 2017
Very good place to work at.
Went through 5 year Mechanical Mill Wright program.
Had a lot of input of Process Improvement projects.
I summited several projects.
I was able to follow it from the cradle to the grave.