American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Dispatch
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 20, 2015
Really cool job working with the field reps. Taking their calls and enter in the information they provide you with and if they need something from you. Approving pay roll. Work environment was laid back but busy at the same time.
A great company to work for.
Designer/Drafter CAD (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHDecember 16, 2015
I loved the various things I did and learned there and would like to return full-time with this company. I know this company will continue growing with all of it's reputation.
Great job minimal hours
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYDecember 16, 2015
My boss has been great to me over the years however not able to keep me busy. I would like to get at least 40 hours per week and am not bothered by 60 or 70. It is very rare i get a full 40 hour week though.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not steady work
Meter reading was a mistake
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 22, 2015
Went to become a lineman have been stuck in this job with what seems no future. They are planning to lay people off and they are doing it by seniority. I have wasted almost two years chasing a dream that i was worthy of achieving. Instead i have to hurry and find a new job to provide for my family.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
The people that I worked with were fantastic. I loved how we came together and got things done. The other people in the company were great as well. The problem arose with the high amount of politics that came from management. Safety is also not one of their concerns.
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
Fun place to work with great benefits. It's very fast passed with great people to work with. High amount of politics in the management scene. Safety is not their highest concern.
Manager, Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
Great people, dedicated to doing the right thing and keeping the lights on for its customers. Good opportunities to do work that touches peoples' lives.
Productive workplace, Plenty of Overtime.
Transmission Lineman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 4, 2015
Most of the work was out of town, but I learned an extensive amount of information working for a great Foreman. The higher was surprisingly involved with crews.
Overall, Good company with amazing benefits.
fun but to far
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 3, 2015
i worked with my parents here they owned the place. i loved meeting the customers and getting close. i just couldnt stand driving that far to work with my parents. they drive me crazy haha
Too much Politics
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Canton,OHOctober 2, 2015
Working with the dogs and people not being aware of the damage that can result from where they are tied up or let to roam in thier yard. Did not care for this job loved the walking but people have no reguard to what they put around the meters. I laughed sliding down a big mud bank to get to the meter that a person had boxed in under a porch he had built around it.
A nice break room
Tool Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LASeptember 14, 2015
-I managed the tool room at my own pace

-There benefits are pretty good
- My supervisor was good to work with
- Nice group of guys to work with
Good people to work with, lots of work, no time for personal stuff.
Protection and Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXAugust 30, 2015
Work is good, co-workers are great, management is average. It is a very interesting job to do, you can learn a lot, but is just way too time consuming, there is only time to eat and sleep, and then go back to work.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Personal time
Great Place to work
Energy Efficiency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2015
I had really good managers and mentors. They were always very flexible with me once I started my family. I had to get my work done but was able to work off hours as long as it didn't negatively impact a project. The assignments were always very challenging so I was never bored.
cool
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, WVAugust 26, 2015
great place with great people. keeps you on your toes so to say. great hours and great pay, gaining a lot of experience for supply chain and inventory
Friday lunches
Sr Distribtion Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OkAugust 25, 2015
Every friday for the last seven years I have seen the Transmission Dispatch Centers manager leave for lunch and return with enough food for everyone in his office. It was amazing how fast the word spread that the TDC has lunch bought for them every friday. The manager had no problems in having stay over for meeting for a saftey meetng or filling a shift due to a illness. The empolyees were willing to help out because the TDC manager humbled himself to buy lunches for everyone every fridays.
Consistant and Stable location
Customer Solution Representative (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVAugust 20, 2015
8 hours providing superb customer service to customers across 11 states. I learned negotiation and de-escalation skills to provide our customers with the best possible solution during the worst conditions. Co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was call outs and extended hours due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather, customer incident etc.
nice place to work
Tow Mate/Fleet Mate (Former Employee) –  Convent,laAugust 16, 2015
training and advancement was available, coworkers and captains great to work with.never was a dull moment working on the river. safety is very important as well as communication.Loved working on the river
Wonderful experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 11, 2015
I worked in the call center. Where my typical day was taking connect/disconnect orders as well as billing inquires.
Depending on the weather would determine what kind of day it would be. If we had storms of any kind we know it would be crazy busy due to outages. I loved my job, I had great co-workers we always manage to make the best of our day.
Working here is where I really learned on how to listen to the customer. Every person had a story and the needs may of been the same but the circumstances were different. It was hardest when power was down and we would take call after call for reasons why they needed power back on right away. We knew crews were out working on the problem but to some it wasn't good enough. We would apologize for the inconvenience, and continue to reassure them it was being worked on and they would have power soon.
Pros
Appreciation lunches and dress up day
Great place but could use more
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oologah, OKJuly 16, 2015
Lack of advancement opportunities. Great benefits, but is not my ideal location and coal power is shutting down. Union work so there is good and bad in anything. You sometimes might have to deal with an I do not care attitude at all levels.
Great Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasJuly 16, 2015
AEP was a great company to work for. I enjoyed mu job and wish I could continue to work for them. I learned a lot of thing while working for this company, they are very family oriented.