American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Challenging and good work enviroment.
Lead Materials/Constuction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gentry, AR/Lawton, OKSeptember 27, 2016
Typical day to work would be anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day from 6AM to 4 or 6PM depending on schedule. I learned how to put safety as first priority, lead group, proper decision making, computer systems, organize/inventory material, customer focus and etc.. Management was incredible never had worry about bosses breathing down your neck unless something is terrible wrong which never happened and raises were always on time. The folks I worked with were incredible, extremely knowledgeable, respectful, willing to learn and very reliable. The hardest part of the job is traveling but the per diem made that much easier. Being surrounded by good workers si what made that job the best.
Pros
Very good money, good people, and safe work enviroment
Cons
Traveling
Overall good company to work at
Substation Electrician/Technician (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 19, 2016
Overall good company to work for, substation hours are great(4- 10hr days), culture needs improvement, management needs improvement, staffing needs improvement, benefits are good, good apprenticeship program.
Pros
Competitive benefits, annual performance bonus, safety #1
Cons
Young management, understaffed
Steady employment with awesome benefits
MRO Field Revenue Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chickasha, OKAugust 5, 2016
Good people to work with
Lots of driving time and physical repetitious work
Awesome benefits with pension plan
My job was automated and there were only so many positions available. I was offered a severance package.
Great place to retire
Great Companyand benefits.
Line Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXOctober 6, 2016
AEP is great to work for and has great benefits. I only left because of medical reasons. The benefits were great as well. it's a large company but has a great work environment.
Storeroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHOctober 23, 2016
Enjoyed the experience and training along with working with wonderful people. Good supervision and benefits, would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Very safety conscience
Great Work Environment
Transmission Construction Line Mechanic C (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 13, 2016
Excellent work environment. Co workers treat everyone equally and with respect.
Experience worker always helped the new employees whenever a question was being asked
Strenuous and long work hours at times
Always room to grow at the company
Pros
Great insurance and benefits
Cons
mostly away from home
Excellent pay and benefits
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conesville, OHApril 28, 2016
American Electric Power provided me with security and benefits that far exceeded most offered in this area, and I feel truly blessed to have worked there. When the company offered early retirement, I took advantage of their offer.

I am now looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to find a job utilizing the skills I have acquired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling, which is typical of many large companies
Great benefits and reliable source of income
Field Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Chickasha, OKJune 17, 2016
Very active job with exposure to dangers in the electrical field, dogs, people with lots of driving and exposure to all elements of weather.

Company downsizing
Benefits
Cons
Exposure to elements
A tale of two companies
Senior Risk Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2016
AEP is a very large corporation with lots of room for advancement. As with many large companies there can be politics involved. Depending on your group and management your experience will vary greatly.
Pros
Advancement in job category and plenty of room to pivot career path
Cons
Politics, Culture resistant to change, Management resistant to change.
Aep
Graphic Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2016
I like the people I work with and i like the job just want to be hired on full time and get PTO and benefits. Also would like to find a job that uses my 4 year degree.
Business Analyst
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2016
Participated in Cost Estimation Class 5, Class 4 and Class 2 to remediate applications and also various other dispositions. Analysis of effort model and data in the estimation sheet. Assist Project Manager in Project management Plan and Resource Planning
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
Fun place to work with great benefits. It's very fast passed with great people to work with. High amount of politics in the management scene. Safety is not their highest concern.
I loved working at AEP
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 20, 2016
I loved all my coworkers, would still be there if they wouldn't have laid off a bunch of employees, I was never fast at the 10 key but with being at AEP for so long I can now do over 10,000 key strokes
Pros
great place to work and great co workers
Cons
getting laid off
Good employer to work for
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Waterford, OHJuly 26, 2016
I learned many new skills while working there. Co workers turned into great friends and management always got us the training we needed to perform our jobs
Hecktic
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 4, 2016
I would answer calls and help customers with their bills, such as make payment arrangements, explain bill, handle power outage calls, open and close accounts,
Pros
loved helping the customers
Cons
management was disappointing at times
Solid company
Core Shift representative (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJune 28, 2016
Solid employer that treats it's employees well. There is good advancement potential and huge opportunity for anyone willing to learn.
Stagnant Growth, Declining Benefits, Shareholder are Number 1
Principal Engineer /Manager Process Safety (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2015
The work at AEP has always been challenging and rewarding. With all of the EPA regulations and deregulation in Ohio, AEP has focused on the regulated utility model as the number 1 priority. We have great folks working at AEP that have risen to the challenge year after year to keep the company competitive. We are rewarded by fewer employees and less opportunities for growth.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Diminishing Benefits
Productive workplace, Plenty of Overtime.
Transmission Lineman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 4, 2015
Most of the work was out of town, but I learned an extensive amount of information working for a great Foreman. The higher was surprisingly involved with crews.
Overall, Good company with amazing benefits.
Very numbers driven
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHDecember 2, 2016
This job was very driven by how many phone calls you made per day- very numbers driven. You answer a ton of phone calls a day and work as if you are emergency personnell
Good place for engineers
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioNovember 7, 2012
However, if you're not an engineer, your advancement options are limited. Benefits are outstanding and work/life balance is terrific - depending on the boss you have. Some bosses are still stuck in the 50's mindset of a regular 8 - 5 job, others are not. For the most part, there's a lot of flexibility. Great bunch of folks to work with although AEP's taken the whole "sensitivity" thing to new heights with its Ethics & Compliance Dept and policies. Common sense in some cases would be nice! Good location downtown Columbus although having to pay for parking (albeit subsidized) is a pain.
Pros
cafeteria, employee discounts at dell, hp, verizon, at&t, benefits
Cons
inconsistent rules throughout company and they vary from department to department, limited advancement opportunities for non-engineers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Electric Power (AEP). Our community is ready to answer.