American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Energy Efficiency Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2015
I had really good managers and mentors. They were always very flexible with me once I started my family. I had to get my work done but was able to work off hours as long as it didn't negatively impact a project. The assignments were always very challenging so I was never bored.
cool
Material Coordinator (Current Employee), North Charleston, WVAugust 26, 2015
great place with great people. keeps you on your toes so to say. great hours and great pay, gaining a lot of experience for supply chain and inventory
Friday lunches
Sr Distribtion Coordinator (Former Employee), Tulsa, OkAugust 25, 2015
Every friday for the last seven years I have seen the Transmission Dispatch Centers manager leave for lunch and return with enough food for everyone in his office. It was amazing how fast the word spread that the TDC has lunch bought for them every friday. The manager had no problems in having stay over for meeting for a saftey meetng or filling a shift due to a illness. The empolyees were willing to help out because the TDC manager humbled himself to buy lunches for everyone every fridays.
Consistant and Stable location
Customer Solution Representative (Former Employee), Hurricane, WVAugust 20, 2015
8 hours providing superb customer service to customers across 11 states. I learned negotiation and de-escalation skills to provide our customers with the best possible solution during the worst conditions. Co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was call outs and extended hours due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather, customer incident etc.
nice place to work
Tow Mate/Fleet Mate (Former Employee), Convent,laAugust 16, 2015
training and advancement was available, coworkers and captains great to work with.never was a dull moment working on the river. safety is very important as well as communication.Loved working on the river
Wonderful experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Appreciation lunches and dress up day
I worked in the call center. Where my typical day was taking connect/disconnect orders as well as billing inquires.
Depending on the weather would determine what kind of day it would be. If we had storms of any kind we know it would be crazy busy due to outages. I loved my job, I had great co-workers we always manage to make the best of our day.
Working here is where I really learned on how to listen to the customer. Every person had a story and the needs may of been the same but the circumstances were different. It was hardest when power was down and we would take call after call for reasons why they needed power back on right away. We knew crews were out working on the problem but to some it wasn't good enough. We would apologize for the inconvenience, and continue to reassure them it was being worked on and they would have power soon.
Great place but could use more
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Oologah, OKJuly 16, 2015
Lack of advancement opportunities. Great benefits, but is not my ideal location and coal power is shutting down. Union work so there is good and bad in anything. You sometimes might have to deal with an I do not care attitude at all levels.
Great Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJuly 16, 2015
AEP was a great company to work for. I enjoyed mu job and wish I could continue to work for them. I learned a lot of thing while working for this company, they are very family oriented.
Productive Workplace
Distribution Dispatcher (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Good salary
Cons: shift work
Answer radios and telephones
dispatch trouble tickets
call customers
hardest part is shift work
get to talk with others
some days are really slow and some are fast paced- depends on amount of trouble
Stagnant Growth, Declining Benefits, Shareholder are Number 1
Principal Engineer /Manager Process Safety (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Diminishing Benefits
The work at AEP has always been challenging and rewarding. With all of the EPA regulations and deregulation in Ohio, AEP has focused on the regulated utility model as the number 1 priority. We have great folks working at AEP that have risen to the challenge year after year to keep the company competitive. We are rewarded by fewer employees and less opportunities for growth.
Good company to work for
Transmission Dispatcher Senior (Current Employee), New Albany, OHJune 17, 2015
Extremely busy days due to contruction projects and normal maintenance. Dispatching a transmission system of this size is a learning experience that never stops. Management can be difficult to work with at times but overall do a pretty good job. Co-workers are helpful for the most part and generally willing to help when the need arises. Hardest part of the job is making sure everything is performed perfectly/safely at all times. Most enjoyable part of the job is the job itself. Love dispatching.
Excellent Company to work for.
Non Exempt Supervisor (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Excellent Company to work for.
Cons: None
Was a excellent and Safety minded company and care a lot for its employees. Got paid very well and excellent health and 401-K benefits.
Busy enironment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), USAMay 29, 2015
Interesting role supporting Snr. Management
Learned the operations of providing electricity to customers
The hardest parts of the job was long hurs
Large corporation that provide many job opportunities throughout my 20 years.
Manager, System Help Desk (Former Employee), TulsaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Very good employee development programs
Cons: Numerous restrictions based on utility board (federal, state, and local) requirements.
The culture of AEP was very open and honest. The employees that worked hard and took pride in their work were rewarded. The daily work was based on the corporate business plan (both a 10-year and 5-year plan) so we all understood our role in making our company successful.
good
Production Welder (Former Employee), Winfield, WVMay 2, 2015
A good place to work depending on the location. The pay is great and so is the benefits. Only downside is they are a coal driven company. Coal is not a bad thing but the government thinks so.
Great Job
2nd Mate (Former Employee), Paducah, KYApril 27, 2015
If you want to be gone for 28 days then home for 28 days this is the job for you. The pay is great and the benefits are the best most place do not offer anymore. The work is hard but you are still making money.
Good hard work for good pay.
Junior clerk (Former Employee), Delaware, OHApril 11, 2015
AEP is good to me. I love the benefits. Their training is excellent.

You must be flexible. Hard work is always rewarded. I started as a clerk. Did banking for AEP. Worked with petty cash. Balanced my cash drawer and the office. Was the supply clerk. I was an office supervisor.. I have worked with computer programmers.
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2015
Great place for working mothers excellent benefit packages. Flexible hours are great for busy working parents. Great people to work eith
Good steady work
Maintenance Mechanic, Machinist (Current Employee), Rockport, IndianaFebruary 27, 2015
Enjoyed working here for many years. Co workers are like family. Just like everywhere else insurance is getting more expensive and they are cutting benefits. However for the area it is still a great place to work.
nice place to work
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), hurricane wvFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: family oriented
Cons: mandatory overtime
handled day to day operations of 11 states using PSC rules to help clients open, close service, trouble tickets, outages, payments taken