American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Challenging and good work enviroment.
Lead Materials/Constuction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gentry, AR/Lawton, OKSeptember 27, 2016
Typical day to work would be anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day from 6AM to 4 or 6PM depending on schedule. I learned how to put safety as first priority, lead group, proper decision making, computer systems, organize/inventory material, customer focus and etc.. Management was incredible never had worry about bosses breathing down your neck unless something is terrible wrong which never happened and raises were always on time. The folks I worked with were incredible, extremely knowledgeable, respectful, willing to learn and very reliable. The hardest part of the job is traveling but the per diem made that much easier. Being surrounded by good workers si what made that job the best.
Pros
Very good money, good people, and safe work enviroment
Cons
Traveling
Overall good company to work at
Substation Electrician/Technician (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 19, 2016
Overall good company to work for, substation hours are great(4- 10hr days), culture needs improvement, management needs improvement, staffing needs improvement, benefits are good, good apprenticeship program.
Pros
Competitive benefits, annual performance bonus, safety #1
Cons
Young management, understaffed
A tale of two companies
Senior Risk Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2016
AEP is a very large corporation with lots of room for advancement. As with many large companies there can be politics involved. Depending on your group and management your experience will vary greatly.
Pros
Advancement in job category and plenty of room to pivot career path
Cons
Politics, Culture resistant to change, Management resistant to change.
Business Analyst
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2016
Participated in Cost Estimation Class 5, Class 4 and Class 2 to remediate applications and also various other dispositions. Analysis of effort model and data in the estimation sheet. Assist Project Manager in Project management Plan and Resource Planning
Steady employment with awesome benefits
MRO Field Revenue Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chickasha, OKAugust 5, 2016
Good people to work with
Lots of driving time and physical repetitious work
Awesome benefits with pension plan
My job was automated and there were only so many positions available. I was offered a severance package.
Great place to retire
Great Companyand benefits.
Line Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXOctober 6, 2016
AEP is great to work for and has great benefits. I only left because of medical reasons. The benefits were great as well. it's a large company but has a great work environment.
Storeroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHOctober 23, 2016
Enjoyed the experience and training along with working with wonderful people. Good supervision and benefits, would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Very safety conscience
Great Work Environment
Transmission Construction Line Mechanic C (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 13, 2016
Excellent work environment. Co workers treat everyone equally and with respect.
Experience worker always helped the new employees whenever a question was being asked
Strenuous and long work hours at times
Always room to grow at the company
Pros
Great insurance and benefits
Cons
mostly away from home
Excellent pay and benefits
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conesville, OHApril 28, 2016
American Electric Power provided me with security and benefits that far exceeded most offered in this area, and I feel truly blessed to have worked there. When the company offered early retirement, I took advantage of their offer.

I am now looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to find a job utilizing the skills I have acquired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling, which is typical of many large companies
Good employer to work for
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Waterford, OHJuly 26, 2016
I learned many new skills while working there. Co workers turned into great friends and management always got us the training we needed to perform our jobs
Hecktic
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 4, 2016
I would answer calls and help customers with their bills, such as make payment arrangements, explain bill, handle power outage calls, open and close accounts,
Pros
loved helping the customers
Cons
management was disappointing at times
Solid company
Core Shift representative (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJune 28, 2016
Solid employer that treats it's employees well. There is good advancement potential and huge opportunity for anyone willing to learn.
Great benefits and reliable source of income
Field Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Chickasha, OKJune 17, 2016
Very active job with exposure to dangers in the electrical field, dogs, people with lots of driving and exposure to all elements of weather.

Company downsizing
Benefits
Cons
Exposure to elements
I loved working at AEP
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 20, 2016
I loved all my coworkers, would still be there if they wouldn't have laid off a bunch of employees, I was never fast at the 10 key but with being at AEP for so long I can now do over 10,000 key strokes
Pros
great place to work and great co workers
Cons
getting laid off
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
Fun place to work with great benefits. It's very fast passed with great people to work with. High amount of politics in the management scene. Safety is not their highest concern.
Very numbers driven
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHDecember 2, 2016
This job was very driven by how many phone calls you made per day- very numbers driven. You answer a ton of phone calls a day and work as if you are emergency personnell
Rewarding Work
System Control Center Reliability Coordinator Sr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Working as part of the largest transmission network in the United States always brought something new everyday. Fellow employees and management took pride in the work we performed to power modern life.
Excellent
In Service Inspection Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIAugust 17, 2016
The units were in good shape coming up at that time and the work load was manageable. Enjoyed working there, the location the city, the area around the plant was great.
Pros
Living in Michigan
Cons
Winter
Great people to work with.
QA/Training (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 11, 2016
Fast-paced, constantly changing, and energetic environment. Safety oriented culture. Co-workers are like family and friends. Always something to do and very little down time. Keeps you on your toes.
Pros
The poeple you work with want you to succeed.
Cons
Time constraints and deadlines
Great company & fun employees
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2015
The people that I worked with were fantastic. I loved how we came together and got things done. The other people in the company were great as well. The problem arose with the high amount of politics that came from management. Safety is also not one of their concerns.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Electric Power (AEP). Our community is ready to answer.