American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Transmission Right of Way Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 17, 2017
Great company to work for, however, the management needs to be revamped. Most management positions do not funnel the proper information down the ranks and employees are left to make decisions without guidance. This causes an unnecessary amount of stress.
Great Company to work for. Great job advancement. Great People.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHOctober 11, 2017
My day started between 7am and 8am. My years at AEP were divided between Customer Service in the office and outdoors reading electric meters. We had daily safety huddles. It was always important to stay aware of your surroundings. I accepted customers' payments for their monthly bills, I performed adjustments to accounts that were read wrong in error. I transported monies to financial institutions. As a meter reader, I walked daily from house to house reading meters. Some meters were located in desolate areas and others in narrow traveling lanes. I walked in rain, snow, sleet, hail and many other weather conditions in order to do my job. I enjoyed the people i worked with and I enjoyed meeting customers out and about on my daily routes.
Pros
Benefits. Job Advancement
Cons
Walking in bad weather.
line work
Line Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHOctober 10, 2017
I was only at this job for 6 months, it was temporary. for the most part I did grunt work, digging holes and setting poles. lots of overtime. everytime it storms, count on going to work and wear your rain suit.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard work and long hours
Awesome
STATION ELECTRICIAN B (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work..room for advancement...laid back..great pay.. and they always keep safety first. I would recommend this company to anyone. Great place to work.
American Electric Power
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Conesville, OHOctober 9, 2017
Its a very good place to work. There are many types of opportunities and many locations in which to work. Job security is somewhat stable but power generation with coal is on its way out.
The only company i've worked for that cares for the employee
Customer Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Hurricane, WVOctober 7, 2017
The culture here is something to be proud of. The company itself cares about the personal life of the employees. It promotes healthy relationships in personal life and work life. AEP is the perfect company to build a career with.
Good environment
Sr. Project Manager Audit (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2017
Spent 22 in sec reporting
6 years in audit
Internal was exciting and was treated extremly fair.
Love the variety and challenge. Save company million dollars.
Pros
Great supervisor
Rewarding and great pay. After 32 years ready for part time
Distribution Dispatcher 3 (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHOctober 4, 2017
Very fast paced, stressful but rewarding job. Resolve and initiate solutions to complex distribution
problems efforts from conflicting or inaccurate data. Being able to coordinate and handle multiple problems due to region wide outages.
Communication Skills: know what information to request and provide,and its urgency
Knowing with and when to share information. Is able to understand and transmit complex
information.
Decision making: make decisions that have an impact across organizational boundaries.
Make technical decisions
Pros
good pay and challenging
Cons
call outs, shift work, staffing
Professional staff, fair basic salary, annual incentive pay.
Contract Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2017
Excellent continuing professional education on site. Professional and hard working individuals. Very professional work force. Typical day involved interaction with employees and contractors.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Good Place to work
Electrical Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 1, 2017
AEP is a great place to work. The management and people they employ are top notch. The health insurance benefits are lacking like most companies dealing with our current healthcare situation.
Pros
Great work / home life balance and pay
Cons
Health insurance is rather poor
company is a basic electric utility
Managing Director - Finance/Unregulated Businesses (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 20, 2017
I was hired to lead the financial activities of the unregulated side AEP and the position lasted six months before AEP bowed out of the unregulated utility businesses and my reason for working at AEP disappeared. AEP quit the unregulated utility businesses as a direct result of the bankruptcy of Enron
A wonderful company to work for
Lead BI/Framework Modeler (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2017
Very challenging , new projects and very good management. Involved in all ETL, BI and system testing. Involved in requirement gathering, user training for Cognos Report Studio
Pros
Very good projects and challenging work
Safety is top priority.
Station Electrician Intern (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 17, 2017
AEP is a great company to work for, they compensate you well, and also make sure everyone leaves the same as they came in. The most enjoyable part is that you get to do something different almost everyday.
A comfy stable job that you can retire from
IT Software Developer Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2017
AEP is a comfy stable job that anyone could retire from. However (in my experience), they aren't looking for innovators. AEP is a good place if you want a 9-5 job (nothing wrong with that). For those who have the passion and desire to innovate, it feels as if you are restricted.
Pros
Stable, good benefits
Cons
Unchallenging, slow
Excellent place to work with unlimited opportunities.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVSeptember 13, 2017
AEP was a great place to work. Working there and retiring after 33 years of service, they were fair, had great benefits, encouraged and assisted in continued education with no limits of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Pay, benefits and opportunites for advancement
Cons
Depending where you worked could have mandentory overtime due to outages.
One of the leaders in the Tulsa community
Manager - Information Technology Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 12, 2017
Excellent promotion opportunities.

Provided training to help improve my overall skill set.

I worked in a very fast-paced department responding to employees Information Technology issues. We were given all the proper tools to effectively troubleshoot problems and get employees operational as quickly as possible.

I was also given the opportunities to work on community-oriented (volunteer) projects as this was a promoted philosophy at AEP.

As a manager I was selected to participate in numerous projects such as emergency management, IT life cycle management, deregulation projects, etc.
Pros
The training opportunities
Cons
Some limitations due to government regulations
industrial hygienist technician
Senior Industrial Hygienist Technician (Former Employee) –  Brilliant, OHSeptember 11, 2017
I worked as a industrial hygienist technician junior, also as a industrial hygienist, and industrial hygienist senior and a head of the union safety committee.
Vessel Captain / Pilot (Former Employee) –  Convent, LAAugust 24, 2017
Company is out of business. The company had great equipment and training. Management was not honest with its associates. High stress work environment.
Pros
Company is out of business
Cons
Company is out of business
Poorly trained management and inability to work with employee conflicts
SWITCHING AND TAGGING DISPATCHER II (Former Employee) –  Indiana Michigan PowerAugust 21, 2017
Good Benefits. Management was poorly trained and inexperienced. Management did not promote a diverse work environment. Employee complaints about supervision were ignored.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Unqualified supervision
I miss my career, relationships with my coworkers and the safety culture they provided.
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 18, 2017
Awesome company to work for and provide service for our community. There are many career advancement opportunities and management cares about your safety and family life. I wish I could still work for them but I had to move. I wish other companies operated like AEP.
Pros
Great company.
Cons
None.