American Electric Power (AEP)

American Electric Power (AEP) Employer Reviews

Productive and Fulfilling
Kelley Temp Service (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: the training process and utilizing the skills that i learned in the field.
Cons: the position held was temporary.
The typical day while working with the American Electric Power Company was exciting for me. I was hired on as a temporary employee. The assignment that I was given was new and fulfilling during the time. The management staff were professional and patient with me. My co-workers were phenomenal and worked together as a team/unit. The most enjoyable part – more... of the position that I held as a temporary employee was that I was able to learn the trade. I was introduced to skills that I utilized quite well in the field as a AEP meter reader. I was also introduced to many residential as well as commercial and business clienteles. – less
I am stuck and going nowhere with this company.
Senior Material Analyst (Current Employee), Moundsville, WVJanuary 3, 2014
A typical day at AEP consists of getting a job assignment from management and being able to communicate with co-workers to complete the task. The most difficult part of the job is being able to multi-task the required work load.
Very good stable enviroment.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 30, 2013
Pros: compensation
Cons: opportunites for advancement somewhat limited
Compensation was very good. A good stable environment. Many good years there
journeyman electrician
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 13, 2013
I mainly learned more about controls and terminations.
the people i worked for was great and the environments was suitable for construction.
Productive atmosphere with team work assistance availiable
Helpdesk service technician (Former Employee), Columbus OHDecember 9, 2013
Pros: weekly lunches sponser by other recruiting company
Cons: paying for parking
Answering between 60-100 calls a day, the calls were only limited to 5-7 minutes. Tickets system was base off of Service Now. The management was open minded to take suggestions and was able to give positive feed back. The hardest part of the job was not being able to used you complete skills in assisting customer due to the time limited. The enjoyable – more... part was able to have a atmosphere where the team work as one – less
good culture and values, excellent compensaton/benefits
IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee), tulsaNovember 3, 2013
the external consulting firm reviewing and restructuring all areas of the business has had a a very negative impact on IT and shared services
no commitment to thier people
Customer Operations Senior Associate (Current Employee), Groveport, OHOctober 28, 2013
Pros: my hours
Cons: to many unproductive requirements
AEP could do better in employee - relationships. I find it to be just a means of paying my bills at this time
Great enviroment and good company
Accountant (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2013
Great Company
Great benefits
Great Work/life balance
Enjoyable part is working with great people
Hardest part is working in a old school culture, so advancement isn't easy.
all around good employer
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANCE (Former Employee), Canton, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: boring
A typical day at work would include checking weather report. Looking over attendance, so that if anyone called off the reconnects and disconnects could be transferred to another Specialist. Answering questions from Supervisors, and field personnel regarding customer's accounts.
Nothing to write
Welder (Current Employee), Brillant OhioSeptember 12, 2013
Nothing to write but the job has been steady and pays well. That's all I have to say
Great company to work for
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: worklife/balance
AEP is a excellent company to work for . Compensation and benefits are competitive and fair. The culture continues to improve. There is a large amount of room for growth.
Life as an American Electric Power employee.
Senior Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJune 25, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: working hours
I typical day at work for the electric company is to provide customer service which includes but not limited to: starting and stopping service, bill reviews and explanation, order input, and mentoring new hires. I learned the only thing that is constant is change.
My co-works were the best part of my employment there. We took pride in assisting each – more... other in challenging situations.
The hardest part of my job there was dealing with frustrated customers during power outages. I learned many soft skills and empathy skills to help with their frustration.
The management team helped with skill training and coaching.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to assist a customer in a difficult situation and have a positive outcome. – less
Safety culture is highest priority
Maintenance Planner I (Former Employee), Conesville,ohioJune 6, 2013
Pros: allowed job flexibility with vacations, family issues.
Cons: hard to get career advancing training in some areas due to uncertain equipment failures and outages.
Reviewed work requests with maintenance and operations leaders to prioritize.
Processed work requests into work packets or ordered parts with vendors to make work ready if parts not available.
visited job sites as required to be sure no special needs or safety concerns needed addressed before work began.
Processed reports for outage and non-outage work – more... back logs as requested from management.
Wrote weld procedures for tube replacements, valve replacements,piping repairs or replacements according to B31.1 and applicable boiler codes.
Attended meetings as required.
Hardest part of the job was trying to do planning for jobs while dealing with crew members and supervisors needing prints, manuals or information for ongoing work.
Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with other planners and vendors and seeing planned work completed according to the plan and finished without rework needed. – less
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 10, 2013
AEP is one of the largest energy utilities in the United States with annual revenue over $15 billion. I worked in the Commercial Operations department where we bid our assets into the market and bought and sold energy commodities.
Deckhand (Former Employee), Convent, LAMay 9, 2013
Pros: fun and safe place to be
Cons: you have to work in the rain.
Hard work, But good pay and benefits! Free Food. SAFETY FIRST!
Good work place to learn new things and to explore
Senior Data Warehouse/Informatica Lead Developer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 8, 2013
Pros: good place to learn more and explore more.
Its a very good place to learn new things and explore more.
All the employees are technically strong and competitive.
Great place to work.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), West VirginiaApril 30, 2013
Very active company that is focusing on staying in business for its customers. Provides excellent benefits and wages.
A very productive and fun place to work
IT Solution Architect/Senior Specialist Consultant (Current Employee), Columbus OhioApril 24, 2013
I've been working at AEP 11 years on and off since 2001. It is a great place to work as a consultant.
Highly innovative organization providing electricity to customers located in their service area.
Sr. Administrative/onsite LITA (Former Employee), Conesville, OHApril 23, 2013
Pros: training opportunities to build your career to the next level
American Electric Power provided a flexible work environment. The benefits were above average and I have learned to become a better leader due to their mentoring leadership and training opportunities. Most recent management provided a learning opportunity and projects where I could expand my skillset. I purely enjoyed working for this organization; – more... the networking, ability to build trusting relationships, and flexibility are excellent. – less
eehh
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKApril 21, 2013
eeehh not that fun working with electric company customer issues

American Electric Power (AEP) Photos