American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Great Companyand benefits.
Line Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXOctober 6, 2016
AEP is great to work for and has great benefits. I only left because of medical reasons. The benefits were great as well. it's a large company but has a great work environment.
Challenging and good work enviroment.
Lead Materials/Constuction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gentry, AR/Lawton, OKSeptember 27, 2016
Typical day to work would be anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day from 6AM to 4 or 6PM depending on schedule. I learned how to put safety as first priority, lead group, proper decision making, computer systems, organize/inventory material, customer focus and etc.. Management was incredible never had worry about bosses breathing down your neck unless something is terrible wrong which never happened and raises were always on time. The folks I worked with were incredible, extremely knowledgeable, respectful, willing to learn and very reliable. The hardest part of the job is traveling but the per diem made that much easier. Being surrounded by good workers si what made that job the best.
Pros
Very good money, good people, and safe work enviroment
Cons
Traveling
Excellent
In Service Inspection Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIAugust 17, 2016
The units were in good shape coming up at that time and the work load was manageable. Enjoyed working there, the location the city, the area around the plant was great.
Pros
Living in Michigan
Cons
Winter
Steady employment with awesome benefits
MRO Field Revenue Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chickasha, OKAugust 5, 2016
Good people to work with
Lots of driving time and physical repetitious work
Awesome benefits with pension plan
My job was automated and there were only so many positions available. I was offered a severance package.
Great place to retire
Good employer to work for
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Waterford, OHJuly 26, 2016
I learned many new skills while working there. Co workers turned into great friends and management always got us the training we needed to perform our jobs
Overall good company to work at
Substation Electrician/Technician (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 19, 2016
Overall good company to work for, substation hours are great(4- 10hr days), culture needs improvement, management needs improvement, staffing needs improvement, benefits are good, good apprenticeship program.
Pros
Competitive benefits, annual performance bonus, safety #1
Cons
Young management, understaffed
Excellent Benefits
Senior Hourly Energy Trader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2016
• Traded hourly and optimized a diverse portfolio of generating units for one of the largest utilities in the United States.
Pros
Lots of free tickets to sporting events.
Cons
Company struggling with coal plants.
Hecktic
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 4, 2016
I would answer calls and help customers with their bills, such as make payment arrangements, explain bill, handle power outage calls, open and close accounts,
Pros
loved helping the customers
Cons
management was disappointing at times
Solid company
Core Shift representative (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJune 28, 2016
Solid employer that treats it's employees well. There is good advancement potential and huge opportunity for anyone willing to learn.
Great benefits and reliable source of income
Field Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Chickasha, OKJune 17, 2016
Very active job with exposure to dangers in the electrical field, dogs, people with lots of driving and exposure to all elements of weather.

Company downsizing
Benefits
Cons
Exposure to elements
Great Work Environment
Transmission Construction Line Mechanic C (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 13, 2016
Excellent work environment. Co workers treat everyone equally and with respect.
Experience worker always helped the new employees whenever a question was being asked
Strenuous and long work hours at times
Always room to grow at the company
Pros
Great insurance and benefits
Cons
mostly away from home
Excellent pay and benefits
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conesville, OHApril 28, 2016
American Electric Power provided me with security and benefits that far exceeded most offered in this area, and I feel truly blessed to have worked there. When the company offered early retirement, I took advantage of their offer.

I am now looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to find a job utilizing the skills I have acquired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Glass ceiling, which is typical of many large companies
A tale of two companies
Senior Risk Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2016
AEP is a very large corporation with lots of room for advancement. As with many large companies there can be politics involved. Depending on your group and management your experience will vary greatly.
Pros
Advancement in job category and plenty of room to pivot career path
Cons
Politics, Culture resistant to change, Management resistant to change.
Working at AEP has been a great opportunity for me.
Engineer Principal (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 5, 2016
AEP treats employees fairly, and they operate with a high level of integrity. They go to great lengths to protect their public image. I have been given challenging work assignments, but also the support and resources to accomplish these tasks.
Rewarding Work
System Control Center Reliability Coordinator Sr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Working as part of the largest transmission network in the United States always brought something new everyday. Fellow employees and management took pride in the work we performed to power modern life.
High Paced
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 31, 2016
Always had a paycheck. Overall good place to work. Good insurance overall fellow employees were good to work with. Enjoyed my time at AEP and the fellow employees.
Great people to work with.
QA/Training (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 11, 2016
Fast-paced, constantly changing, and energetic environment. Safety oriented culture. Co-workers are like family and friends. Always something to do and very little down time. Keeps you on your toes.
Pros
The poeple you work with want you to succeed.
Cons
Time constraints and deadlines
Turk Project - Managemet
John W. Turk, Jr. Project (Former Employee) –  Fulton, ARFebruary 12, 2016
Excellent personnel. Director set the guidelines, simple. Each person knew their roll and gatekeepers. Direct boss & Engineers were outstanding and helpful. If you are not contract personnel, and find a place this good, stay there forever.
Pros
Directives plain & simple
Cons
did not get to see finished Plant Project
Aep
Graphic Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2016
I like the people I work with and i like the job just want to be hired on full time and get PTO and benefits. Also would like to find a job that uses my 4 year degree.
Dispatch
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 20, 2015
Really cool job working with the field reps. Taking their calls and enter in the information they provide you with and if they need something from you. Approving pay roll. Work environment was laid back but busy at the same time.