American Electric Power (AEP)

American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Has really good benefits
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 4, 2012
Overall it was a call center enviornment. large desk and spacious. alot better than many other places. you have room o breath. Pay it pretty good. benefits are great. really good family oriented company
benefits
Cons
no overtime
Great company to work for- 5 stars in all
Sr. Trend Analyst/Corrective Action Specialist (Former Employee) –  COLS, OH AND BRIDGMAN, MIFebruary 24, 2013
Aep has several hydro, fossils and one nuclear power plants. They have excellent health and 401 k benefits

It is great organization to work for and they give great bonuses at the nuclear plant..
Good people to work with, lots of work, no time for personal stuff.
Protection and Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXAugust 30, 2015
Work is good, co-workers are great, management is average. It is a very interesting job to do, you can learn a lot, but is just way too time consuming, there is only time to eat and sleep, and then go back to work.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Personal time
Excellent company
Csa (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHSeptember 1, 2014
Excellent company to work for. Wonderful management. Good pay and benefits
Friday lunches
Sr Distribtion Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OkAugust 25, 2015
Every friday for the last seven years I have seen the Transmission Dispatch Centers manager leave for lunch and return with enough food for everyone in his office. It was amazing how fast the word spread that the TDC has lunch bought for them every friday. The manager had no problems in having stay over for meeting for a saftey meetng or filling a shift due to a illness. The empolyees were willing to help out because the TDC manager humbled himself to buy lunches for everyone every fridays.
Good company to work for
Transmission Dispatcher Senior (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHJune 17, 2015
Extremely busy days due to contruction projects and normal maintenance. Dispatching a transmission system of this size is a learning experience that never stops. Management can be difficult to work with at times but overall do a pretty good job. Co-workers are helpful for the most part and generally willing to help when the need arises. Hardest part of the job is making sure everything is performed perfectly/safely at all times. Most enjoyable part of the job is the job itself. Love dispatching.
Positive
External Affairs Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 18, 2012
Positive experience, competitve salary and benefits. AEP is on the cutting edge of energy initiatives.
Very nice atmosphere
Data Administrator-Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 13, 2014
Excellent company to work for. Great benefits. Great group of people. Good salary and geat hours.
Great place to work.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaApril 30, 2013
Very active company that is focusing on staying in business for its customers. Provides excellent benefits and wages.
Manager, Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
Great people, dedicated to doing the right thing and keeping the lights on for its customers. Good opportunities to do work that touches peoples' lives.
Great Family Owned Company
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMarch 5, 2013
Great hours. Great people to work with. Off on the weekends.
Pros
great owners
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Too much Politics
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Canton,OHOctober 2, 2015
Working with the dogs and people not being aware of the damage that can result from where they are tied up or let to roam in thier yard. Did not care for this job loved the walking but people have no reguard to what they put around the meters. I laughed sliding down a big mud bank to get to the meter that a person had boxed in under a porch he had built around it.
Great benefits
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 9, 2014
Great benefits, good people, solid work environment. Great safety environment.
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Convent, LAMay 9, 2013
Hard work, But good pay and benefits! Free Food. SAFETY FIRST!
Pros
fun and safe place to be
Cons
you have to work in the rain.
nice place to work
Tow Mate/Fleet Mate (Former Employee) –  Convent,laAugust 16, 2015
training and advancement was available, coworkers and captains great to work with.never was a dull moment working on the river. safety is very important as well as communication.Loved working on the river
Consistant and Stable location
Customer Solution Representative (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVAugust 20, 2015
8 hours providing superb customer service to customers across 11 states. I learned negotiation and de-escalation skills to provide our customers with the best possible solution during the worst conditions. Co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was call outs and extended hours due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather, customer incident etc.
Safety culture is highest priority
Maintenance Planner I (Former Employee) –  Conesville,ohioJune 6, 2013
Reviewed work requests with maintenance and operations leaders to prioritize.
Processed work requests into work packets or ordered parts with vendors to make work ready if parts not available.
visited job sites as required to be sure no special needs or safety concerns needed addressed before work began.
Processed reports for outage and non-outage work back logs as requested from management.
Wrote weld procedures for tube replacements, valve replacements,piping repairs or replacements according to B31.1 and applicable boiler codes.
Attended meetings as required.
Hardest part of the job was trying to do planning for jobs while dealing with crew members and supervisors needing prints, manuals or information for ongoing work.
Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with other planners and vendors and seeing planned work completed according to the plan and finished without rework needed.
Pros
allowed job flexibility with vacations, family issues.
Cons
hard to get career advancing training in some areas due to uncertain equipment failures and outages.
Large corporation that provide many job opportunities throughout my 20 years.
Manager, System Help Desk (Former Employee) –  TulsaMay 18, 2015
The culture of AEP was very open and honest. The employees that worked hard and took pride in their work were rewarded. The daily work was based on the corporate business plan (both a 10-year and 5-year plan) so we all understood our role in making our company successful.
Pros
Very good employee development programs
Cons
Numerous restrictions based on utility board (federal, state, and local) requirements.
Great Place to work
Energy Efficiency Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2015
I had really good managers and mentors. They were always very flexible with me once I started my family. I had to get my work done but was able to work off hours as long as it didn't negatively impact a project. The assignments were always very challenging so I was never bored.
Productive and Fulfilling
Kelley Temp Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2014
The typical day while working with the American Electric Power Company was exciting for me. I was hired on as a temporary employee. The assignment that I was given was new and fulfilling during the time. The management staff were professional and patient with me. My co-workers were phenomenal and worked together as a team/unit. The most enjoyable part of the position that I held as a temporary employee was that I was able to learn the trade. I was introduced to skills that I utilized quite well in the field as a AEP meter reader. I was also introduced to many residential as well as commercial and business clienteles.
Pros
the training process and utilizing the skills that i learned in the field.
Cons
the position held was temporary.

American Electric Power (AEP) Reviews by Location