American Electric Power (AEP)

American Electric Power (AEP) Employer Reviews

Management communication was a little disconnected, but challenged themselves to correct the problem.
IT Systems Analyst III (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 14, 2012
Pros: management had team meetings once every week.
Cons: management deliver clear and concise information.
Management had a lot going on and the communication disconnection, disconnected some of the task needed to implemented. Not a clear and concise picture of details was communicated. Although communication was always being challenged, the company continuously strive for improvement.
Easy 30 year career
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus OHMay 6, 2012
Pros: regulation = stability
Cons: slow pace
The tools of the job are truly awful. As of May 2012, the company is using Office 2002 (not even upgraded to major release 2003). An old version of Lotus Notes is used for email.

Regulated companies used to be safe, but in my short 2 years we are on our second round to workforce reduction.

Benefits are great, and management is genuinely concerned – more... with safety and employee health. – less
Very knowledgable and helpful coworkers.
Cost Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 25, 2012
Pros: fitness center, dry cleaners, cafeteria
Cons: biased promotions
Although it is a great company on paper, it is difficult to move up. Current culture dictates diversification. Many people have been overlooked for positions recently(past few years) that should have been promoted.
Columbus, OH
Laid back company, very friendly environment
Load Research Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 5, 2012
AEP has given me great experience in Economic/Financial analysis. The company is very laid back and lets you be an analyst with minimal supervision. I work directly with Economists, Statisticians, Engineers who are very helpful and always there to assist the less seasoned employees. The most challenging part of my job is that there is no single right – more... way to do the job, there is always forecasting involved and different analysis needed for different projects. It takes around 3 years to be fully trained in Load Research so you are constantly learning and reading new material. My first day, I was given around 5 training books, and a SAS certification manual and was told to just read and learn for around 6 months. I enjoy my job due to having a great flexible boss and great coworkers who have also become my friends. – less
Has really good benefits
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAApril 4, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: no overtime
Overall it was a call center enviornment. large desk and spacious. alot better than many other places. you have room o breath. Pay it pretty good. benefits are great. really good family oriented company
Good balance between work and life
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 23, 2012
Pros: fun loving people
Cons: sometimes too slow
My job entails meeting with business users to gather requirements and translate them into technical specifications and oversee developments activities.
Good place to work but you need to be a "good 'ol boy" to stay there.
HR Admin Associate (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 5, 2012
Pros: no pros
Cons: misguided management, lack of consideration for employee needs
When budget cuts come down, the people asked to leave or forced to resign are the ones that did go to VT or aren't Republicans.
Auditing at AEP
Auditing (Former Employee), Cheshire, OHDecember 18, 2011
Pros: good parking, good balance between family and work, benefits and pay, and professional attitudes.
My experience at American Electric Power, Cheshire, Ohio was that of a good one. The employees and management was very professional and courteous.
One of my favorite jobs of all time.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ashland, KYNovember 28, 2011
Pros: great benefits, working environment, casual dress
Cons: none.
This job was by far the best thanks to the management team. Excellent hours, great pay and great benefits.

American Electric Power (AEP) Photos