American Equity Mortgage Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
The Employees were great to work with
Loan Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2017
My team lead (direct supervisor) there was amazing.
Pay was competitive.
There was a good camaraderie there among fellow employees.
I was able to see the trends of the industry. I don't know how long the company can hold up. The hire a lot of new employees and then have to let people go because they are not making money.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the company the people were friendly and helpful.
Cons
Management is not truthful about the direction of the company
Poor Corporate Management
Mortgage Loan Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJuly 20, 2017
Company opened the Branch in WPB in December 2016 and closed in July 2017. No foresight as to how to manage employees, no corporate support. Would not put out any funding for marketing everything had to be paid out of pocket and non refundable by the Loan Partners, Branch Manager.

Company opening offices everywhere but closing them as quickly as they open.
Pros
decent training
Cons
to many to state
American Equity Mortgage
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 15, 2017
This was not a company for a mortgage loan officer, this is a company for a telemarketer, lots of pressure to show numbers on your call logs but not much for what loans are actually in your pipeline.
Don't waste your time
Employee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 25, 2017
The company's sales are consistently declining/ not meeting their numbers and they lose employees left and right with the revolving door that is AEM. This can be attributed with the toxic environment, management the CEO tells you not to question and terrible benefits/compensation. Not to mention the CEO herself micromanages every facet of the business and there is no growth path. They only promise title promotions for sales just to make them feel good about themselves.
Pros
Weekends away from the company
Cons
Money, Management, Compensation/Benefits
Good Company
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMay 22, 2017
Good company to start out in the mortgage industry. They have the best training I have ever been to. They invest in their staff. They have fair commissions tiers
Pros
Top of the line training
Cons
Not a bad company, but bad timing
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greentree, PAMay 8, 2017
I was with the company less than a year, and accepted the position when i first moved to a new state because i had worked a similar position at a previous company. I started during some of the hardest times of the housing crises and the company was recovering like everyone else in the industry. The corporate office and training was pretty good but my local office went through multiple office managers in the span of just a few months and ultimately convinced me to leave.
Pros
decent base salary, good training, flexible inside/outside sales position
Cons
management turnover, technology was out of date in our office
Not Good Leads..
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 27, 2017
They paid for some of the worst of the worst leads. Expected to pull credit on everyone despite the fact the customers would say that they have late payments for 7 months on mortgage.
greedy company
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2017
Everything done dies in underwriting, hard to work within company expectations and close the number loans needed to make a living. System set up to make company money and leave consultants broke
Good opportunity for seasoned loan officer
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 2, 2017
Work from home or real estate offices. My manager was very helpful and encouraging but she worked from home as well and she lived two and a half hours away. Not a lot of hands on training. Good job for a very well seasoned loan officer with an existing book of clients.
Pros
work from home
Cons
only a laptop was provided
If you are an experienced LO, stay away.
Mortgage Consultant/Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 22, 2017
This company wants Robots. Do not dare try to talk outside of "their" sales process if you are an educated individual, you will be listened in on all the time. Micro-managed to the point of wanting to quit. Like, and feel sorry for co-workers. If the Branch Manager is having a bad month, she will find a fall-guy to fire and steal the loans you have ready to close. This is a cheap company who's biggest incentive is to allow you to wear jeans for a day. High turn-over rate.
Pros
Good location and private office
Cons
Short lunch, a Manager with issues, very low pay
Busy place!
Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 13, 2017
This was a busy place to work. They had a great training program. I thought they offered great benefits too. This was before the owners divorced and they both ran the place.
Unsatisfactory place of employment
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2017
Work environment was intolerable due to constant berating of management to sell predatory loan products. The only advise given by management was to tell customers we were the best & not to discuss rate.
Great Company to work for
Talent Acquisition Specialist (sales) (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MODecember 19, 2016
Great company to work for, I have been here for almost a year and I have needed minimum supervision. I am very productive on my own and manager gives me the freedom to use my talents and focus my talents are recruiting new talent.
Frustrating
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 4, 2016
I did like my job. Demands and the access to meet demands made it very difficult to meet them. New management is untrained and has no experience. He could not manage his time for what is needed for the position.
Pros
Great conversations working with clients
Cons
Expensive
Mortgage Company
BRANCH MARKETING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 19, 2016
Leads were bought from banks of people who had their credit pulled for any given reason. Called to try and talk to them about refinancing their home. Commission based job
Great Mortgage Company
Mortgage Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOSeptember 7, 2016
Great Mortgage Company to have an opportunity to work for.
Great Mortgage Company to experience the warm family atmosphere
Great Mortgage Company to learn the mortgage field.
There are all Pros if you work with this company
Mortgage business is dead
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 1, 2016
I left in 2008 when the economy crashed and am happy to not be in the line of work anymore. Met some great people I still connect with.
No no no
MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 14, 2016
Just don't, never never again will I!! This company has a very poor moralistic, ethical and respectful environment. Managers literally scream at you to dial out and convert sales every morning. The tools to guide your loans to close are very poor and it's tough to get deals to close. Getting deals is pretty easy but it's getting them to pay you that's hard. You must keep license for each state you want to originate loans in and you have to be ready for true cold call sales dialing random people for business. You will have to read a script to a stranger and try to get personal information while they don't know who you are or the company you're working for!!!
Pros
Your own office, Customer face to face interaction
Cons
Mean managers who curse at you, loans never close, poor performance and resource tools, high turnover, cold calling, hard to get loans to close
Not much good here
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 8, 2016
The only positive is you are only required to work 40 hours/week and you are usually off by noon on Fridays. However, you will only make 40k/year if you work 40 hours. Top leadership, not much good to say there. Basically no opportunity for advance, you're going to be an originator and that's basically it.
Pros
Early Fridays
Cons
Comp, management, job culture
Fun place to work
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 14, 2015
Fun place to work with a good atmosphere. Management is very accommodating and understanding. Over all a decent place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Equity Mortgage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8