American Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,427 reviews matching the search
Good place to work, always opportunities for advancements
Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
American Express has been very good to me and has treated me very well through all 16 of my years there. I have been given several opportunities for advancement and have been promoted several times.
Real sorry it had to end; unfortunately due to several reorganizations my whole department was eliminated making us all displaced.
Pros
Good people, good opportunities to grow your knowledge base for advancement.
Cons
American Express struggles with a good work life balance it is something they continue to work on.
lots of calls
Home Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  la marqueFebruary 4, 2016
Very rushed.. lots of pressure to get clients on and off the phone.
immediate supervisor was almost to busy to work with you with your training. Scheduled international and domestic travel.
Yu never knew what to expect on the phone.
Pros
Worked virtually
Cons
equipment was old
Dedicated Virtual Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Love working for a large, well known company. Lots of options depending on what your focus is. You own 100% of your development and if you are willing you really can exceed within American Express.
Pros
Growth
A great and diverse company
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day was working with with customers from all over the world. Working and learning about all foreign currencies.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Although i worked well with my coworkers they weren't always nice.
ui developer
UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2016
As a UI (User Interface) Developer, you understand the language of computer code. Your skill and creativity allows you to turn computer code into language, visuals and graphics that can be easily understood by the user. Your job is to reduce user friction with the interface by determining flow patterns, how a program might be used and how best to design and place features to accommodate a user-friendly interface.
You work in an office setting, at a desk or workstation, and for a variety of industries. Your workweek is full time but sometimes deadlines call for overtime. Generally, you report to an IT department supervisor or manager.
Work life balance
Financial Analyst Statistical Data (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 31, 2016
Great work life balance company, and solid management staff, pleasant environment to work with. Could be better advancement opportunities.
JV has ruined the company
Onsite Floater Southeast Pennsylvania (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 28, 2016
They have entered into a Joint Venture and the quality of the company has gone down hill in a short amount of time. The travel company is now known as American Express Global Business Travel. It a JV with American Express and Ceteres Private Equity firm. The best part about the job is working from home and 5 weeks of vacation.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor Management
Great place to work!
Director Global Partner Performance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2016
The company is customer and employee centric. They are committed to ensuring that employees have flexible work arrangements.
Pros
flexible work arrangement
Cons
promotion opportunities
Review
Quality Case Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2016
Work environment is okay. Great colleagues. The company provides great benefits and tries to accommodate work life balance by providing onsite daycare
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
hard to get promotion
challenging fast passed
Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2016
challenging fast passed. knowledgeable management Very experienced co-workers. gained knowledge about credit bureaus. worked on very powerful multiple processor PC
Pros
flexible work hours. work from home
great
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJanuary 21, 2016
absolutely great.. best company to work for. they take care of you from the second you get hired... tons of perks working for them. treat all employees wonderful
Pros
insurance from day one, job perks alot
Cons
Productive and fun work place that has a Cafe
Back Office Support (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 20, 2016
Excellent people to work with. The ability to socialize and collaborate team members on tasks and have fun, even during lunch.
Pros
Employees get along with one another
Cons
Lack of recognition by company for hard work.
Meeting Average Handle Time Goal
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2016
Our goal is 250 seconds per call this is how we are paid. Most agents provide great customer service, however; their talk time is very high and their After Call Work which is 10 seconds.

What I learn: side by side with agents showing them how to reduce their AHT really helps, and together is a WIN result.

Co-workers don't seem to have the drive that I have. In this job there is only one other Manager that drives for results.

Getting agents to come to work. enjoyable part of my job is my Team. I work for them.
Pros
People skills
Cons
30 minute lunch is too short for the agents to enjoy their meal.
Great benefits
travel agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 20, 2016
i would go to work, take phone calls for 8 hours from customers wanting all forms of travel arranged.
Management was lacking and really needs to be revamped to help their employees.
co workers are great to work with, all up beat and friendly
hardest part of the job was all the stats they want you to keep at certain levels, especially the customer surveys. If they were mad at something you didn't know, you still got the bad survey. Most of the time it wasn't anything that was brought up in the call at all.
enjoyable part of the job was seeing the vendors that came to see us and sometimes getting to travel for work, which the company has all but cut out for non specialty travel areas.
Pros
PTO, Benefits, retirement, insurances
Cons
hard demanding goals and no support from management
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJanuary 20, 2016
I have really enjoyed my work experience at American Express.

With more than ten years that I have worked in the Global Banking Compliance and Ethics group, and three years in the Global Leadership Development and Training group, in the administrative capacity, I gained a lot of knowledge and became subject matter expert in so many work aspects. Despite working long hours, there's always room to balance personal and professional life.

I met and made many wonderful friends and colleagues, and I learned tremendously from the best minds and leaders in the company.

Professional dedicated workforce committed to improvement
Team Leader/Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Fantastic environment with dedication to becoming innovative and to value the workforce. Sometimes to large to react quickly to change but always seeking fresh and exciting ideas.
Pros
Training, Innovation, Virtual Environment
Cons
Job Security
Awesome workplace environment
Customer Service Rep/Int. Team lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
A great place to work over all. It could be hard to take calls from angry people but that was understood to be part of the job. Great benefits and a clean safe work environment. Loved the other employees and management. I learned all about sales and customer service there. The environment was fun most of the time.
Pros
Good pay and schedules friendly management
career
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 19, 2016
customer serer was very rewarding helping customers with their balances on accounts, ordering card on their acciunts exchanging their reward points for services and not using their money.
Pros
worker 4 days off 3
Cons
non
Multicultural environment with focus on faster time to market
Director of Technical Architecture (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 18, 2016
My role is focused on bringing innovation in technical architecture. Conditioning minds in to moving in to next gen thinking is both fun and hardest part in this environment.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2016
I felt valued and compensated well for my contributions. I loved going to work everyday, driving results and contributing to the overall success of the department
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Transitioning of jobs to other countries