American Express
1,288 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Good career growth
Lead Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2014
Challenging work environment, enjoyable, uses the latest tools in the market
Fun work place
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Golden, COOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great work hours and located close to home.
Cons: short breaks.
great work place. However sometimes the management didn't seem to follow up with escalations.
Productive workplace
Vacation Specialist (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: monthly free lunches
Cons: short breaks
I have the privilege to work with Trading Places and I have gained and learned a great knowledge and experience in business management & excellent customer services.
Merit based career
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 15, 2014
If you work hard, you have the potential to do very well long-term.
Not the best place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2014
Pros: longevity
Cons: workplace environment
I worked for American Express for 26 years. I was an Administrative Assistant supporting over 150 employees.
Great place to work with great work life balance
Coordinator - Account Development, FXIP (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: networking events, work life balance, career advancement opportunities
Cons: competitors pay more, alot of turnover and too many business re-org
At American Express, you get what you put out. You must be willing to work hard, have good people skills, be a team player and most importantly, drive results. The culture is pretty nice with good perks and great work life balance depending on the line of business. Overall, there's something for everyone which gives you something to look forward to – more... if you intend ot growing a career. Most employees participate and enjoy company sponsored events which allows you and your teammates to come together outside of business hours. It's a great place to network and meet new people of all levels. – less
Travel Agent for Card Service
Travel Counselor I (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: work from home, easy to use links, they pay for interet and high pay
Cons: feel out of the loop because your not in the offfice.
log into your phone and take Platinum customer calls. The computer they give to you to use is updated. The hardest part if this job is the hand holding of the clients.
Office manager at Love Pool Care
Office manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: nothing
My most enjoyable part of this position was doing marketing and human resource related duties. I felt rewarded managing such a prestigious and successful company. The hardest part of the position was firing people. I learned valuable information about running many different programs; quickbooks, photoshop and various other computer programs.
Financial Service Comanpy
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 8, 2014
Fast paced environment, with the potential of competitive compensation
Lead Sales Representative and Training Mentor (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 8, 2014
Great work environment! Many opportunities to grow and develop.
Productive and fast paced
Service Rep (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 8, 2014
Pros: coffee, coworkers
Cons: understaffed, sometimes undertrained
I worked in the prepaid resolutions department where we handled prepaid gift cards. I would be assigned to take calls about new inquires to set up investigations from either a merchant or a consumer and to provide case numbers. I would also be assigned to resolve the cases by determining if the cards were properly funded or to notify the client to send – more... in additional paperwork by fax. I enjoyed the people on my team, they were very supportive and had a great work system to keep you busy and learning new processes. The management was great, our supervisor rotated each person on different assignments so we shared an equal work load. I also enjoyed the break room, they had the best coffee machine. – less
Great place to work at
Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Plantation, FLOctober 5, 2014
Pros: vacation and sick time.
Cons: dealing with individuals day in and day out.
a typical day at work: come in at 8am and leave at 630pm Monday thru Tuesday. Worked with customers(consumer) regarding extension of credit on charge cards and collections of monies due on same. Management easy to work with. Co-workers (excellent atmosphere). The hardest part of the job is saying no to customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is – more... when a customer gets off the phone completely satisfied with the work I did. – less
Excellent Work Culture
SharePoint Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2014
Company provides excellent work cultures , so i am able to maintain job work/life balance.Company Provides lots of benefits.
Highly collaborative, supportive and innovative company
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 3, 2014
Pros: excellent environment and management
Cons: can get lost within the mix rather easily due to the size of the company.
This company has excellent training and processes and is truly one of the better run companies in the country. An excellent place to learn how to conduct business in a financial environment the correct way. From customer service to product and technological innovation, American Express is a leader in the banking industry.
Project Manager Global Business Transformation (Former Employee), New YorkOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great leadership and work place
Great leadership and work place. A very challenging yet enriching job profile.
benefits were great
Customer Care Professional - Credit Analysts (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2014
had great benefits, great location, didn't really like the job function which was collections
Excellent Company to Work For
Business Continuity Planning Lead (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: i was able to work virtually and enjoyed the travel
Strong company to work for. I definitely learned a lot about business both what to do and what not to do.
Great Company
Home Based Servicing - Customer Care (Former Employee), Home-BasedSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, technology, & supportive team environment
Cons: minimal training
As a home-based CCA you will be required to attend a minimum of 5-weeks of call center training. However, there is no "hands-on" classes. You are expected to learn at a fast-pace with the ability to use your own learning through tools provided during the training.

With all that said, this means that you will not learn on a "dummy" system. You are given – more... the tools to learn, but not the opportunity to "play" with the knowledge.

The plus side:
Great support systems within
Ability to work alone
Benefits
Ability to advance within the company – less
Was Once a Great Company to Work For
Risk Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: talented co-workers, salaries, work life balance
Cons: seeing talented people laid off, high cost of health care, and management that thinks they are above all others below them.
I worked 20+ years at American Express and loved my job accept the last few years as it is now all about surviving lay offs over and over again. Finally, I was laid off but did get a great severance package. Management is now about doing whatever they can to save their own job and may throw you under the bus if necessary. The hardest part of the job – more... is senior level management believing they are above anyone else and the increasingly super high cost of benefits. The salaries are great but check out the cost of benefits that can take a bite out of your salary. Again, for the most part I loved my tenure at American Express and if offered the right position reporting to a good manager I would love to go back as the people you work with are amazing. – less
Stressfull, but ok
Travel Counselor (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2014
My co-workers are great, but ever since the company went virtual, they have changed everything

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos