American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,791 reviews matching the search
American Express is a great place to work!
Billing & Payment Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLMay 27, 2016
I love that place!!!! Its a culture melting pot, where you can thrive if you work hard. I got layed off in 2015, but I have nothing but love for AMEX!!! Great place to work!
Pros
Cons
Too much politics but that is everywhere
Can make great money but no supervision
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 26, 2016
As a collection specialist you can make great money but it's extremely stressful. Along with this, there is very little help from your immediate supervisor regarding training or feedback. If there is a complaint, AMEX doesn't protect their collectors at all. They expect perfection on every call and if a customer gets upset you are left twisting in the wind by the company. The benefits are great and so is the money.
Pros
Benefits, money
Cons
Horrible management and company doesn't protect it's collectors
Today was a good productive night
SOS Security (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 25, 2016
This job is a very laid back job, not hard at all just follow directions or whats been told. The best part about this job is that you get bonuses and very much overtime.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Short Breaks
Sr. Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 25, 2016
Overall very solid company. Good work life balance and generally willing to provide career growth. I would recommend working at Amex.
na
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 25, 2016
Competitive sales environment. Peers are helpful and very easy to get along with. Paid time off is difficult to schedule but you get it up front at the beginning of the year.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
stressful
Great people
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
My co-workers are smart and supportive, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The management tries to be fair and there is a big focus on development and leading people. It takes a while to navigate through the company.
Amazing place to work and great benefits
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 22, 2016
I was able to learn how to always provide the best customer service to each of my clients. I made sure I will go above and beyond to assured that when the client hang up, the client was pleased with the service, aware of the benefits and that the could feel my passion to serve them was my priority. I worked in many different departments caused I always strive to learn other skills that will enhance my customer service knowledge and then share it with other colleagues so we could all as a team could perform at the best level and keep the integrity of our institution. I really enjoyed my time there and I am grateful for all the opportunities I encounter to learn and acquire wisdom, skills and knowledge and definitely, Amex provided an excellent training to the employees and a great benefit program for me.
Pros
Provided excellent customer service skills that had enhance my life
Cons
That the call center was moved away.
Travel Counselor
Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2016
Corporate travel counseling, booking, scheduling travel. Domestic and international travel arrangements for corporate accounts.
Senior Manager, Global Operational Risk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2016
Great people to work with
Director Global Strategic Capabilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2016
Through my time in American Express I had the opportunity to grow personally and professionally whilst having a good career advancement. I had the great opportunity to work with great people and meet great mentors. I had the luxury to travel all around the world with the company and be relocated 3 times.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Not perceived as industry disrupters
Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
i would love to continue work with them if they have any open position. i was giving them the best of myself. during my sprint i was always focused into finishing the stories
Pros
Everyone is helpfull
Good Company
Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
Good Company to work. Good Culture and Friendly environment. Management is very much helping. Cons is Amex fire employees and contractors very frequent without any clear justifications
Not a stable environment
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2016
There are way too many senior level managers. As an example (as of May 8, 2016) there are 13,728 Directors inside American Express. They are currently trying to correct poor market share by cutting $1,000,000,000 out of their budget for 2017. While they assured all employees that there would be minimal staff reduction, they have already begun to let 100's of employees go. The Directors have no say over who stays and who goes from their department.
They try to keep a secure environment, but only recently upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2013. The IT infrastructure is very siloed and while there are attempts to improve (update and secure) the current infrastructure, the pace is very slow given today's technology.
Pros
Working from home once or twice a week
Cons
Too many senior managers, not enough intradepartment communications, older technology, no room for advancement.
Good company, subpar management, excellent and deflecting blame
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2016
American Express is a great company to work for as long as you can understand your role in a corporation. This usually involves just nodding your head and understanding that there will always be smarter individuals paid more that have better ideas then you.
Pros
Paid Vacations, PTO, Sick time, Coaching, Team events
Cons
Healthcare, Slow Manangement depending on who you have, Slow progress within company.
Dynamic working environment with incredible talent throughout.
Compliance Analyst -Anti-Money Laundering (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 13, 2016
During the summer of 2015 I had an opportunity to develop/enhance my analytical skill set with American Express (“Amex”), where I worked as an Anti-Money Laundering Analyst. This role required me to use a wide variety of analytical tools to investigate potentially suspicious financial activity not only in the United States, but across the globe. Over time, I became very experienced at analyzing and summarizing suspicious financial activity over a dozens of product platforms, drafting hundreds of well articulate Suspicious Activity Reports which were submitted to FINRA. My experience at Amex taught me a great deal about the world of money laundering, and the ways in which cyber criminals abuse modern credit and prepaid products. Furthermore, I feel that my prior role as an Anti-Money Laundering Analyst has molded me into the type of analyst, which can add value to any analytic team.
Pros
Challenging workload, diverse work environment, surrounded by top talent.
Cons
High pressure to perform.
good benefits and good corparation
B2B Collections (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 13, 2016
well manage
work with the smartest people in the worlk
met workers from all over the world
sucessful negioations
education on every banking law
Pros
health discounts and gifts for bettering your health
Cons
NA/
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 13, 2016
Difficult situation to stay motivated. The company morale is poor due to a very, very high turnover rate. The goals that are set are unattainable due to slow computers and lack of staff.
Pros
Good location and hours
Cons
Low morale
Excellent Company to work for
Director, Credit Risk Operations, Call Center (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 10, 2016
The Customer Experience is at the center of everything the Company does. Training is extensive and on-going. Management is engaged with and supportive of employees.
American Express is a great company to work for
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
Generally good work/life balance and opportunities to move around the company. Every two years you are encouraged to look for a new opportunity in the company, which keeps you fresh.
overall experience was good
Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2016
it is a good place to work with.it is a good place. located in pheonix, az. environment is very good. work is reasonable . management and calleage were very helpful.
good
good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2