American Express
1,478 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Development opportunities were numerous.
Training Delivery Specialist & Leadership Trainer (Former Employee), Los Altos, CAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: many talented people to learn from
Cons: too much business travel
The typical day was challenging with tremendous growth opportunities to experience different aspects of the business.
Exciting place to work in a matrix environment
Program Manager - Global Payments (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: employees are helpful in supporting one another in achieving goals
Cons: legacy systems make it difficult to make changes or enhancements
Employees take pride in what they do. Teamwork and Collaboration is excellent when senior leaders are aligned and there is a clear roadmap that has cascaded vertically and horizontally.
Great work environment, work independently, flexible
Travel Agent (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: traveling to learn the destination
As a travel agent you worked for yourself but helped out the team as needed. Walk in customers to sit at your desk to plan a vacation. Answer phones and multi task. Customer service is key. Worked well with co-workers. Management was very hands on as needed, could always ask for help. The hardest part of the job is a trip not going as well as planned ie; weather, delays, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was planning a vacation of a lifetime and having your customer return happy!
Excellent company. I highly recommend Amex!
OPEN Customer Service (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great pay. great culture.
Cons: back to back calls.
American Express hands down has the best culture of any company I worked for. Lots of recognition. Supportive management. I have heard some of the managers weren't supportive but none that I had. Great campus. The parking lot is huge so you depending on what shift you work you might have to walk a little ways to get to and fro your car.
Technical Lead/Contractor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Was a great opportunity to learn in and grow while the contract lasted. It was a contract job with little hope of getting a full time position. No real advancement opportunities.
American Express Best in its Class
Learning & Performance Specialist (Current Employee), VirtualFebruary 26, 2015
I am very proud to work for American Express. For the past seven years, we have been recognized by our customers for the highest in customer satisfaction among credit card companies. Our company is well-respected and commitment to its employees and to giving back to the local communities. Our leaders embrace diversity and are dedicated to employee development. American Express values its customers and is steadfast in providing Card Members with innovative products and world-class service.
My first professional home
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Planation, FlFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great work environment, work life balance, health care
Cons: not alot of upperward mobility
This place afforded me and opportunity to learn a lot about the financial industry. The work environment was good and the work life balance made coming to work less stressful. There didn't seem to be a lot of opportunities for career advancement after a certain level.
Informative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Working for American Express was my first full time job. When I started with the company I was doing data entry. I then moved up to customer service, where I learned how to talk to customers and help them with their needs.

The management was good, they were there to answers questions that would come up during the day.

The group of team members I worked with were great. We would work together helping each other if management wasn't close. It was a supportive group.

The hardest part of the job was upset customers, That is also where I learned that patient is a virtue. The hardest part of the job, became the part of the job that was not as hard.

What I enjoyed most was talking to customers and helping them with whatever they needed, from simple questions to having to file a fraud case to investigate a charge.
Fun working environment
Application Developer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: for every three month free team lunch
Cons: healthcare
Best Job
Lockbox Operations/Processing Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: it was a place of many opportunities.
Cons: they relocated to a foreign country.
I was with the company until they moved their operation to India. I was with them for 10 yrs. The first place where I really learned the true nature of Lockbox.
Very busy work environment.
Relationship Care Specialist (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 24, 2015
I take about 70 to 100 calls a day from business cardmembers.Inquiring about their business accounts.Questions could vary from balance unauthorized charges.Any issue they may have with their accounts.
I was able to learn and grow at American Express
Recommendations Coordinator (RC) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: healthcare / benefits / working remotely
Cons: inability to place well qualified, talented professionals upon lay-offs / lack of loyalty
American Express focused on diversity, equal opportunity and the highest level of customer care. I worked as a liaison between Customer Care and Operations of 19+ business units - ensuring online content was accurate, in compliance and up to design standards. I primarily worked remotely, but had a shared desk in the office that I could reserve when needed. I worked with an amazing team of professionals with many diverse backgrounds, which was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great promotion opportunities
Data Entry (Former Employee), Plantation, FLFebruary 22, 2015
The entire environment leaves you with a family type feeling. It's laid back but innovative energy is pumping throughout the building.
Good Company
Corporate Senior Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2015
Strong core values, work environment and people. I would recommend working there to any one who loves a corporate system.
American Express provides a solid place to work in the valley.
Director - Technologies (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: work life balance, large local workforce and opportunities
Cons: headquarters and growth opportunities happen more frequently outside of phoenix area.
American Express is a good company that provides a good work life balance. The leadership is very good and I have enjoyed working for them in various positions.
Good Place to wrok
SQL Server Production DBA (Former Employee), INFebruary 19, 2015
Client is cool and I was with them for 5 yrs. Work culture is good and was able to balance my personal life as well. Management is good. Scope of learning was less.
Good culture
Consulting Manager, Business Travel (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Amex has a great culture with a lot of flexibility. The company cares about it's employees and has great benefits. I would recommend this company as a place to work if you want a work/life balance.
Global Intl Travel Company
On-Site and Virtual Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2015
Like any other company, there is good and there is bad. I prefer to remember the positive aspects and forget the negative aspects.
Nice place to work
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: employee engagement activites
Cons: work/life balance not acknowledged, development is not a priority.
Nice place to work. However your growth and development is not a main concern even though it is promoted highly when you are interviewed for the position.
very friendly atmosphere with life long friends
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: good life long friends, free tours and hotels stay
Cons: uncomfortable chairs at our desk
It was never like going to work instead it always felt like visiting friends and being in the company of some close friends. My job was to make reservations on Sabre system while talking to same callers repeatedly who are from the same company hence built strong rapport with them. Management was very friendly and always there if and when needed. The hardest part of the job was to leave the company by resigning due to my family need. I miss it big time.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos