American Express
1,203 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Great place to work.
Manager, Account Management (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance, gym onsite, great cafeteria, lots of job opportunity if you want to move around the company.
Cons: location of the office
Excellent work environment, very smart and motivated employees. My co-workers were very easy to work with and we worked well as a team to get the job done. The hardest part was always staying on top of the competition and offering the best price for the product.
Good travel benefits if you can last
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), MIramar floridaAugust 18, 2014
Pros: good travel benfits
Cons: no job security and no union .
I worked in travel department and I loved the job , but their was no respect to how long you have been with the company. Employees with many years were let go if their sales weren't meet over a two month peroid. This company needs a union CWA very badly . Most of management do not have degrees either.
Respected company to work for
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Miami and Jacksonville,FLAugust 16, 2014
Call center environment. Some of the best management I have worked with and some of the worst. Greatest part of the job was working with celebrities and respected professionals. The hardest part of the job was being behind a phone only and being timed to hurry off of the phone. Also customers were not allowed to request you again as their personal agent. – more... They were required to speak to whomever was available their next call. – less
Excellent Business to work for.
Customer service - Receive incoming calls (Former Employee), Phoenix, AzAugust 16, 2014
Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: n/a
Would love to work full time until my retirement. Co-worker are very very helpful.
Good
Java Technical Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2014
• 8.5 years of professional experience in full life cycle system development involving analysis, design, implementation, maintenance and support of application software in Web-based and Client/Server environment.
• Work Extensively in Java, Struts, and spring, Servlets, JSP, JSTL and Java Beans.
• Hands-on experience with J2EE (JDBC, Servlets, JSP, – more... Struts), JAVA, XML, SOAP, Maven and Java Script. – less
Great company with a very welcoming and fun environment
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee), Plantation, FLAugust 13, 2014
At American Express, there are so many opportunities for advancement. You must be willing to be open-minded and learn and to accept that you have a lot of growth that can be done if you really apply the feedback given by the many team leaders, coaches, and peers. The people who work at American Express are always willing to help each other out and work – more... together as a team to accomplish one goal of being the best customer service team of all major credit card companies, earning us the JD Power and Associates award seven years consecutively. I would recommend working for this amazing company to all of my closest friends. – less
Laid back fun environment
Consumer Welcome Card Service (Current Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 13, 2014
Pros: alot of give aways and fun environment
Cons: banking regulations change weekly
Very great place to work. Typical workdays are quick and fun. Management is always visible, and have a open door policy so if you have problems its ok to talk to them. Very good pay and benefits. Very good bonus structure.
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 12, 2014
Pros: free accomodation, free lunch
Cons: short breaks
CCSG (Consumer card service group) targets individual customers in the U.S. markets. CCSG is responsible for developing, marketing and servicing all aspects of charge and lending card products of American Express in the United States. CCSG services are grouped according to customer status, i.e. existing card members, new card members, or card members – more... eligible for an upgrade. CCSG offers services to three financial streams namely: Credit Cards, Charge Cards and Partner Cards. OPEN Cards targets for Corporate/Business cards.
CCSG App Redesign DTW/UA: Redesign and integrate DTW Prescreened and Non Pre- Selected applications flows for CCSG card products. The appearance of the Re-designed UIs should be reflective of the AMEX brand image and should match the existing Redesign experience for CCSG prospect flow. Existing Microsite login pages, Decode pages, upsell pages will need to be integrated as part of Redesign.
CCSG App REDESIGN (App Transformation): The objective of this project is to provide a new user interface for prospect and already card member customers applying for the American Express Cards. Digitals, a third party team, will provide the UI and back end functionality is developed using spring web flow with struts integration. The technologies used for development are spring web flow struts Json and Ajax. This application will be hosted on the WAS 6 server.

My role is Senior Java Developer and Technical lead.
• Involved in analysis, design and development, testing phases of application.
• Interaction with client team to understand business requirements and develop the System design and involved in technical discussions, design reviews with Architects.
• Involved actively in frequent calls with business to gather requirements from the client and analyze the technical feasibility
• Worked on Struts ,Spring MVC and spring web flow framework to build web applications
• Used different types of J2EE design patterns like Front Controller, MVC and DAO.
• Developed the User Interface Screens for presentation using JSP, JSTL, HTML and Java Script.
• Worked on complete life cycle, design, development and testing using OOA and OOD.
• Worked on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Low level JQuery tasks handle the front end requirements.
• User java design patterns like Singleton, Factory patterns
• SOAP based web services and exposed and also consumed the services
• Used JUnit for Unit testing the application.
• Deployed code on WAS servers using UNIX commands
• Implemented Log4J for Logging Errors, debugging and tracking.
• Delivered many successful projects which involved analyzing requirements from the client design the architecture and developing complex business logic
• Lead a team of 5 people to deliver projects which changed the entire architecture of all online American Express personal card application (prospect, card member and rsvp)
• Actively involved in solving the production defects on priority bases.
• Provided the post production support and actively responded to customer calls and emails.
• Received client accolades and appreciations on several occasions – less
stable
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIAugust 11, 2014
Since this was through a contracted company there were some limitations that were a little different from being in the corporate office. The opportunity to become a fully licensed insurance agent it invaluable.
Travel Agent
Travel Counselor for Ernst (Former Employee), Irving, TXAugust 10, 2014
Pros: trave benefits and company were great.
Cons: office moved to florida
Booked corporate travel for an investment firm, Ernst and Young. Very busy and fast paced call environment atmosphere. Very demanding and high profile clientele.
Stressful Place to work
Customer Care Professional (CCP) (Former Employee), Plantation, FLAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good lunch breaks
Cons: too short breaks
A typical day was filled with stress.
I learned how to assist credit card customers and explained their benefits.
Management was very political.
I had great co-workers
Hardest part of the job was not being able to please every customer no matter how hard you try.
Unfortunately, there was not man enjoyable parts of the job.
Challenging Corporate Travel, but I love it!
Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 6, 2014
Pros: i was loved!
Cons: having to leave.
As the leadership of the team, I provided training for new agents to our company and leadership skills for some that transferring to other local on site accounts.
I provide maximum of expertise to business traveler Worldwide air volume $40 million with full service on their air travel, including cars, hotels, exchanges and upgrades..
I take pride on – more... my Personal Customer Service with each of our client. – less
Hard when its Temp work
Data Entry/General Accounting (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 31, 2014
I was a temp employee here just before my last surgery it was nice.
Great experience
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 31, 2014
Pros: learned about different professions and met a lot of entrepreneurs.
Cons: lots of turnover of employees.
I met a lot of people from different professions and different size companies. I did accounting duties for many companies and perpared tax returns.
Fun work place
customer service agent (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJuly 27, 2014
Pros: great healthcare
Cons: shift to late at night
customer service , taken payment, taken application for new cards, adding additional to account , mailing out statement. while making sure you are within rule and reguration
Can be nice place to work, compensation needs to be better, Not the best management, job culture is okay
Customer Service (Former Employee), Montreal- TorontoJuly 26, 2014
Pros: relax environment if you do what they want.
Cons: compensation, weak incentive program that doesn't encourage you but police's you.
There is a sincere problem with american express treating it's employees, they sometimes treat you as corporrate slaves. Their bonus structure is out there to get you, so you don't earn your bonus. And they are always randomly changing things, Most of this can be lost, if a card member gives a survey about you, no mattter how hard you try to save a – more... bad mood card member, you will get a poor call which in turn would make you lose your bonus. Still does not sound convincing? Card members are asked two questions, one about the company and one about the agent they are working for. If the member is not in a good mood, he will rate american express poorly, and excellent for agent it would still effect the agent as poor, and would look poor in monthly evaluation. Amex takes away your bonus to reduce the damage of the card member's views about the company, if the card member considers amex to be poor, Amex doesn't say thank you for trying to save a card member but instead considers the employee poor in dealing with cm. At some times, it is American express's fault for not having leeway in dealing with some customers. Upper management can sometimes change situation with card members, but it rarely happens, so ones who are automatically affected are amex's agents. They tell frontline workers, to treat customers in a humanely way, but fail to reach that objective with their employees. This is current standard of american express today. They make changes, and they should aim to create a standard quality for their frontline workers. – less
Management Priorities have changed
Business Analyst - Contract assignment (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2014
Pros: great community service and educational opportunities
Cons: benefit reductions occurred year after year and management has shifted priorities
Influx of new Management priorities have shifted more to shareholders and less to the people that work there over the years. Some of the people that work there and have worked there are quite outstanding.
fast paced and well paid company
Senior Customer Liason (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJuly 22, 2014
Pros: being able to resolve cardmember's issues
Cons: management
I love my co workers and the great perks. What I love most was resolving the cardmembers issues regarding credit or conflicts with establishments.
Loved the work, busy and slow seasons
Analyst (Current Employee), Marietta, GAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: learning something new always, very interesting work
Cons: the slow seasons are very very slow, little to no amex work each day, but i keep busy with tasq customer service work during slow time periods.
My typical days begins with checking three queues. Each queue has requests from our merchants for serveral different things. They made need application adjustments, new terminals, new PC tools, or general inquiries that need attention. I analyze applications for risk and approve them to be moved on to the next step in their set up of an American Express – more... account. I also work customer service for TASQ Technoloy. (I work in the TASQ facility, but I am also a contract employee of American Express) TASQ is shipping facility for many credit/debit providers. Most of my work is systematic. I use Microsoft Office, Oracle, and many Amex databases. – less
Excellent company to learn and advance from!
Corporate Card Program Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2014
Feedback is very much apart of the culture at American Express. Receiving feedback from peers and superiors provide an excellent source of learning effective communication skills.
I've created long lasting personal and professional relationships at American Express.
The most difficult moments of working at American Express was the competitiveness of – more... advancement. The most enjoyable moments of working at American Express was understanding constructive criticisms and feedback to improve on my personal brand. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos