American Express

1.7K reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

good place to work
Operations Analyst I (Current Employee), Whitsett, NCJuly 28, 2015
I was a Team manager with Startek. I was responsible for 25 to 30 agents. My coworkers were great. I an responsible for real-time performance.
Great introduction to sales
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: none
I called comptroller's and CFOs of mid size businesses around the Houston area in attempt to establish a line of credit through American Express. I learned many tactics that led to success in my endeavor.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior IT Risk & Info Security Engineer (Current Employee), PhoenixJuly 27, 2015
Experience new technology, however you can become bogged down with bureaucratic nonsense. Overall, I am glad I have an opportunity to work for a company like American Express.
Managing projects with a dynamic team while working independently
Project Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Completing a project from effective collaboration early and under budget
Cons: none
Your day goes by positively fast driving results with your project team. Meeting deadlines and milestones are a great feeling when you close out a project under budget and with success. Collaboration and determination in a fast paced environment is the only way to achieving synergy.
Not a good place to work
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Orlando/Tampa FloridaJuly 27, 2015
Pros: good insurance
Cons: No ONE EVER told YOU that YOU were doing a good job at all.
We had to work overtime and middle management to be is very homophobic. It was not a good place to work after a bit. They hire first level managers with NO TRAVEL Background and then they have a click. If they don't like YOU, YOU are gone even if you do get 14 letters of commendation from clients. I would NOT recommend anyone working here at all.
Would not recommend.
Travel Care Professional (Former Employee), Campbellsville, KyJuly 24, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: HR hires anyone with a pulse, Manager is not qualified for the position by any means, For a family of 4 health insurance is $387 per pay period, The place is a revolving door of junkies and ex cons, pay stinks
The upper management is terrible. No one ever seems to know what's going on and they lie. The company will send emails about these wonderful incentives to make their workers work extra hard to receive and they do not follow through when the goal is accomplished. There is no balance between work and home. If a day off is needed well forget it. No in house staffing all staffing requests are done in some foreign country. Pay is terrible. We get screamed at on a daily basis from card members about things that are not in our control and smile. Give some sort of empathy statement and move on to the next one. Definitely do not get paid enough. Raises are a joke. After a year of employment I received a 5¢ raise. Company does not care about it's employees or customers.
Too many people strung out on drugs in the call center but management turns a blind eye. One worker with severe mood swings who has threatened to blow the place up and during his ranting and raving not one person said a word or had him removed from the building. Instead he kept his job and has at least 3 other episodes. (And this is while on the phone with customers)
Work places
Agent (Former Employee), Tampa FlJuly 23, 2015
Growing company that is having growing pains which is expected. Management changes a lot as well as employees. Human resources as well as training is somewhat efficient.
Best job I have ever had!
Call Center Accounts Supervisor (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 23, 2015
You don't miss your water until the well runs dry. The work was hard but the company rewarded us well. Everything was well organized and structured. Employees personal lives really mattered.
Good work/life balance
Financial Manager -Enterprise Growth (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 22, 2015
The best part about Amex is how flexible they have been with my work schedule. I have had family medical issues over the last few years and they have been extremely accommodating. This has been the best part about working for them.

The biggest con has been the lack of advancement and feeling like you are really making a difference.
American Express
Business Solutions Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Great pay and 401K plan
Cons: Limited advancement opportunities.
I would not recommend working for American Express. The middle management team is lacking in leadership and focus. Many very good people have left to pursue other interests.
ver good experience in time management and international experience
Director of Sales (Former Employee), San Juan, PRJuly 20, 2015
Pros: international experience
Cons: more tha 60% in traveling
Very satisfying experience, develop international experience on sales and customer relationship. Responsable of establishing electronic data capture transactions in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
Great people to work with
Manager - Global Partner Network (Former Employee), MarketingJuly 20, 2015
Great group of people to work with and most folks had integrity. Decent amount of red tape and politic but this is expected of a big company.
Professional Enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Learning about the Financial Trade
Cons: Growth in company
Scheduled meetings and agendas
Worked collaboratively with financial planners to set appointments foster client relationships, and establish customer goals
Assisted with other tasks as assigned
The most enjoyable part of my job was learning about the stocks, bonds and financial planning.
working for American Express
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 17, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: they are transitioning to a call center mentality in a job that should be personal
This was a great place to work when I started, even as a call center
great benefits/ good leadership
they lived by the old saying
'take care of your employees and they will take care of the clients'
its not an easy job, travel is challenging with lots of changes
the knowledge needed to do the travel job is 'heavy'. Add the American Express information (card/rewards/benefits) and it is a nightmare
They HAD a great life/work balance
that disappeared about 3 years ago
management changed
the goals are impossible and change all the time, sometimes without notice or are retroactive
the communications between management and agents is seriously lacking
All the current management cares about now is their bottom line and the share holder, Even though they clears millions last year.
I can hardly wait until the pendulum swings back to a better place to work and live.
American Express is an Excellent Company to work for.
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Awesome Culture
Cons: None
American Express is an Excellent Company to work for. A typical day is 9-5 however, management can be flexible if you need to work earlier or later in the day.
excellent company to work for
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Plantation FloridaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: flexibility
excellent company to work for, aimed at first class customer service in order to provide win win situations for the cardholder and the company therefore avoiding attrition.
Growth throughout with endless possibilities, treated as a family, rewarded for your outstanding dedication.
Executive Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Your wealth given as an employee, vacation collections, your opinion mattered. family/fun atmosphere.
Cons: I'm currently now working there.
Interacting with upper management that took your ideas into count, bench-marked to expand the range of options, an great family feel to work with a communicative team, encouraged to learn and explore new directions that in the long run would enhance your job relations and expand the business. Management kept you in the loop of the growth of the business & what direction, so that you could provide support to any and all that was needed. Co-workers were always engaged & there was team building events to keep everyone aligned on the same playing field for the business.
Hardest part of the job was to take vacations - I loved where I worked, whom I worked for, and work I did.
Most enjoyable part of my job - I was able to positively impact everyone that was around me of whom I supported or conversed with daily weather co-workers or customers.
Great Job
Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 14, 2015
Very competitive work environment but friendly people to work with. Great benefits and great pay and bonuses. You will have to expect to work weekends for entry level positions.
Great premium credit card company
SR DIRECTOR OF TRAVEL REWARDS (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2015
Excellent place to work. Very focused on innovation, customer service and quality. Great advertising and marketing organization.
Great place to work, with a lot of support
Executive Solutions Intern, Full-Time (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2015
Great place to work, I made a lot of connections here and learned a lot on the job. The company has a lot of employee engagement opportunities and promotes diversity.
Headquarters