American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,877 reviews matching the search
Daily
Integrated Marketing Manager, Executive Travel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2016
• Wrote proposals and created advertising programs for prospective advertisers and existing clients
• Managed luxury clients, writers, and designers to produce branded custom content for print and online promotions
• Collaborated with sales representatives in Asia, Europe, and North America to acquire new business
• Created a proposal for Porsche that resulted in the first ever luxury car brand advertiser, adding a new industry to the magazine’s portfolio
Depending on which department you worked in, it could be a great place
Customer Service Representative/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2016
Most of the departments I worked in were great to work in. I loved working in Customer Service and being an Relationship Account Manager for New Business Accounts. My co-workers were great. The hardest part was when I worked in Credit and an outside Manager was brought in and our department was turned into a hard core collections department.
Pros
Great incentives and commissions
Cons
we were not hard core collections
12 years loved forst 9
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 30, 2016
I worked in a center 9 years before transfering to Home Based Servicing. Working from.home sounds great... but its very lonely. Once you are at home their is very little opportunity for advancement and you are just stuck taking calls day after day with no end. It wears you down fast. I did enjoy that ability to drop and pick up hours easily with colleges. This made it simple to adjust my schedule with out using PD time. American Express is a great company but home based servicing was just not for me.
Pros
Flexible hours great benifits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun culture and environment
Sr Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 11, 2016
Fun work environment, feels like a start up within an established company.

As a recruiter - I manage a high volume of requisitions across the US, and my team is in NY. That's the toughest part is not having a big team there with me.

The most enjoyable part is being surrounded by engineers working on really cool innovative products for the mobile application.
Pros
Fun work environment with really smart people
Cons
My immediate team being in NY and Phoenix
Typical Call Center
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2016
Typical call center job where higher management doesn't care about the front line employees. The politically correct BS drove me insane. They monitor you from every which metric you can possibly imagine. They hold your attendance to the highest standard when the levels above you come and go as they please. Team Leaders will constantly just walk around and BS with each other. The security team of the building is a joke.
always a high performing employee
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 17, 2016
Busy and lots of projects. I learned things about every industry. Management changed from caring about employees to treating them as numbers. It was family and people worked very hard to keep it great
Pros
Friends that last a lifetime, Mgmt did not get, People that sent to pasture, They got comp to where they are
Cons
Comps get rid of staff due to tenure, Still very productive, Knowldge not past on, valued link in the chain
Excellent company to work for...nothing negative to say
Account Manager/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 28, 2016
I actually love working for AMEX. The culture, leadership and opportunities for advancement are phenomenal. I worked my way up the corporate ladder and have not been disappointed. I have been given the opportunity to lead a team and work hand in hand with American Express' head of marketing/developmental teams out of Phoenix Arizona. Absolutely love this company.
Good place to work for the most part
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2016
I have worked at American Express on a full time basis for a few years. I would say overall it is a good company to work for. Work-life balance is great depending on which group you are in. Most groups allow you to work from home most Fridays.

Compensation at American Express is not the best. It's certainly not the worst. But, I think American Express struggles to be competitive from a compensation point of view.

Job security is not great here at the moment. Layoffs are happening across the board and at all levels. So, I would say proceed with caution.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Culture
Cons
Job insecurity, compensation
Yesterday's card company
Senior Manager, Regulatory Compliance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2016
American Express have a great brand and a great reputation, however in this dynamic and increasingly technology-driven economy, I think they're end-up the same way as Blockbuster, Kodak, Motorola, Sony and others. Being the best version of an old business model isn't a good business plan.
Pros
Great people, remote working
Cons
HR seems to have been outplaced to the lowest bidder
Great place to work!
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 24, 2016
The environment is fast-paced yet very rewarding. The callers made the days go by quickly. The management recognizes and rewards each team member. The call volume could get to you but you have to remember to take it one call at a time and that's what your job is. The co-workers made it a wonderful environment. It's quite diverse.
Pros
Onsite gym and tuition reimbursement
Cons
not the best health care
American Express has always been at the cutting-edge of technology and data science
Tableau Server Admin/ Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2016
The data that flows through American Express’ closed-loop network is an important competitive advantage for the company. By joining the Big Data team, you’ll have the opportunity to work with one of the largest, most unique and valuable data sets in the entire world. For decades, we have leveraged this rich data to help make our products and services more relevant to customers, support commerce between our Card Members and merchants, and manage risk.
Great benefits
Senior Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2016
Great environment if you just want to plug in and get a job done. If you want to make a difference, this is NOT the place for you. Unless you are a VP (they are very top heavy in VPs by the way), you don't really have a say in what happens on a day to day basis. The company is very vocal about peer reviews and surveys to make the working environment more appealing to all stages (entry-level up to senior management) of your career.
Pros
On-site cafeteria, on-site wellness center, on-site gym.
Cons
Top heavy in senior management - making a difference is not possible.
High Pressure Sales...But Collections
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2016
American Express pays reasonably well at an hourly rate. However, their collections quotas and/or bonus structure DEMANDS that you basically read from a script AND be VERY good at it to excel anywhere.

I took a week off of vacation for my birthday (as I had vacation time to burn and it was a use it or lost it situation) and upon returning was fired. One plus, you DO get a lot of vacation time. The minus, I've complained to their office multiple times about not being paid for my last day and all of those things have fallen on deaf ears.

They have a great and reasonably cheap cafeteria...but...it's mainly so they can keep the money they pay you in-house.
Pros
Lots of vacation time, friendly co-workers
Cons
high pressure sales, insufficient health insurance, impossible bonus structure
Can make great money but no supervision
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 26, 2016
As a collection specialist you can make great money but it's extremely stressful. Along with this, there is very little help from your immediate supervisor regarding training or feedback. If there is a complaint, AMEX doesn't protect their collectors at all. They expect perfection on every call and if a customer gets upset you are left twisting in the wind by the company. The benefits are great and so is the money.
Pros
Benefits, money
Cons
Horrible management and company doesn't protect it's collectors
Great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJuly 22, 2016
I have been with American Express for 3 years now. I have learned a lot about the banking industry and how to help people in a calm manner.
Unfortunately, I don't see room for advancement for me here. I was not fortunate enough to go to school for a degree and most positions, regardless of qualifications, require a degree.
I enjoy working with people on a team, but I also enjoy being left to do my job, the way they I can do it.
I enjoy being able to help clients when they are in a bad situation, it gives me a sense of satisfaction when they really appreciate the help I can provide.
On the other side of that, there are some people you just can't please no matter the situation, so that is tough.
Pros
cafe, work life balance, vacation, benefits
Cons
short lunch, very strict on staying on the phone, not even for bathroom breaks.
Work and Relief at same place
Service Now Developer / Administration (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2016
In short working at American Express was both challenging and stress free. We had many changes in the system but the team was very friendly. Every day was energetic and the same used to follow till the end. At times things used to be troublesome but that was only for few days and only when things piled up very quickly.
Good company, subpar management, excellent and deflecting blame
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2016
American Express is a great company to work for as long as you can understand your role in a corporation. This usually involves just nodding your head and understanding that there will always be smarter individuals paid more that have better ideas then you.
Pros
Paid Vacations, PTO, Sick time, Coaching, Team events
Cons
Healthcare, Slow Manangement depending on who you have, Slow progress within company.
Processor
Remittance Clerk II (Former Employee) –  300 West Jackson- Chicago, ILJune 14, 2016
My typical day at work was to process credit card payments. I learned that accuracy is important. Management always showed appreciation for a job well done. My co-workers and I were a team we would strive for accuracy. The hardest part of the job was if we received errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was making management proud of us as a whole.
Pros
Accuracy
Cons
Making errors
Great people to work with
Director Global Strategic Capabilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2016
Through my time in American Express I had the opportunity to grow personally and professionally whilst having a good career advancement. I had the great opportunity to work with great people and meet great mentors. I had the luxury to travel all around the world with the company and be relocated 3 times.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Not perceived as industry disrupters
Can be brutal after a while
Financial Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 4, 2016
80% of the phone representatives have Fmla or disability because of the high level of stress involved with this job. 100+ fast paced calls a day. Not all of them are bad but some are borderline abusive and american express will not protect you. Your job is completely dependant on customer surveys which you have no control over. Great pay and work flexibility but poor medical benefits. Its extremely difficult to move up in the company and if you do, its usually only temporary. Breaks are terrible. Very challenging 3 part interview process as well.
Pros
Great Pay, work flexibility
Cons
High stress, poor benefits, poor breaks

4.2