American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,416 reviews matching the search
High stress to make sales goals
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 19, 2017
After 18 yrs being a loyal employee American Express values no longer match the exceptional service first now priorities have changed and is geared towards a high sales priority minded customer service.
Pros
Good benefits and vacation
Cons
Extreme focus on sales of additonal products and stressful sales goals
Productive fun place to work with amenities, cafeteria, gym and beautiful environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
American Express has a standard referred to as blue box values. Employees are given goals at the beginning of the year and meet mid way and year end to discuss with their direct managers. They are evaluated on how well they met their goals. Plenty of training and opportunities for advancement.
benefits
Productive work organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
American Express is/was a first rate organization, fair and decent to its employees. I worked both in New York City and Frankfurt, Germany. It was an enlightening experience.
Benefits
Cons
pay scale
the collections team is a dead end job
Sr. Analyst, AR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 17, 2017
I was employed part time as a collections specialist. I was recruited during my time as an MBA student. The company has many departments were you have lots of flexibility and opportunity to cross train howler collections is not one of them. This is the most dead end career path I have ever seen, which is surprising as all the other areas are filled with opportunity.
Pros
nice dinning area
Cons
no growth opertunity
it was a long time ago but it was great experience
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 17, 2017
I loved working in the travel industry but it collapsed on me after 9/11. My first experience with the company was not so good because I am not a fan of working in a call center but my second time around in a small office was much better.I was sad to see my career as a travel agent come to an end after 10 years
Pros
the people
Cons
sometimes very stressful
Working for Amex
Merchant/Card Member claims (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 17, 2017
American Express was a good place to work when I started in . It was all about the employees, Amex took good care of their employees. Over the years, the company transitioned and many jobs were sent overseas, leading Amex to lay off a lot of their employees. Management changed and so a lot of things changed as well. Towards the last few years, it became difficult to trust in Amex because the job security that was once there wasn't there anymore.
Pros
paid time off, accumulative sick days, flexibility
Cons
healthcare options, layoffs
Its really bad working there.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2017
Working in American express is not as soothing. As the treatment for employee is not so respectful. Work for long hours is fine sometime but Management threaten employee to work.
very demanding job for low pay
Virtual specialized Corporate Travel consultant (Former Employee) –  virtual homeJuly 16, 2017
the multiple clients and multiple clients made for an extremely demanding position with American express GBT.. They have a 6 month busy season which demands a large amount of overtime and demands a high call volume from the agents
Highly stressful
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLJuly 15, 2017
I'm a customer care professional, I use to love working here but it's gotten to be extremely busy to the point that it's sickening. Thr benefits are great but those phones run you to the ground. The hourly is great but I enjoyed the incentives but they're always changing that too, every month they come up with some strategy to trick us into selling card products only not give us the money we earned.
Pros
Benefits, vacation days
Cons
No flexibility, too busy
Great builing with cafeteria
Technical support (Former Employee) –  SomewhereJuly 15, 2017
Some great people, job can be stressful, great technology. Team meeting weekly, lots of different cultures . Learned a lot , recognized for effort within industry.
Pros
Lunches at times were catered in
Cons
Lack of communication at times

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
Fair workplace
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2017
enthusiastic and fun, with young minds at work
Innovative
relaxed
competitive
Happy hours are great
Product team and business need to collaborate more efficiently
Hadoop Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2017
There is job security and good benefits and good compensation. Depending on your department and/ or manager, things can seem unorganized and unclear as to what is your actual role within the company.
Business Development
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2017
This was virtual office position. I sold corporate card programs to mid size corporations in Houston, TX. This was an easy product to sell. I developed solutions and assisted financial departments in creating budgets and limits for traveling employees within their companies. This was a very gratifying position
Pros
Working with various companies.
Cons
I prefer to work in an office. This was a virtual position. I like to go to an office.
American Express- Do not leave home without it.
Senior Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 9, 2017
Company is still utilizing outdated systems.

Upper management need to be in tune with the digital enterprise.

Workplace culture- Too much favoritism
Pros
Good working schedule
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Great corporate experience
Summer Business Analyst - IAG (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2017
I worked as an intern with AMEX and loved my time there. The company culture is great and there are so many opportunities to move laterally and vertically throughout the company.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Paternity leave
I enjoyed working at American Express.
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJuly 7, 2017
I felt this company treated you with respect and recognized your strengths and weaknesses. They encouraged you to improve with additional training. Management worked with employees.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLJuly 7, 2017
Very stressful and not because of the customers. Management plays favorites and if you question.. watch out... you are a trouble maker. Always fearful of layoffs due to outsourcing and shipping jobs overseas. very political..and not paid enough for amount of responsibility demanded
Pros
Cons
country club management atmosphere
Work review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2017
Working with the company during the recession was difficult and working for almost a 10 years without advancement was frustrating. That was the only reason for leaving American Express.
the pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 6, 2017
The bonus structure is faulty. Employee's should be paid more for their work. I love the environment, co workers are kind and courteous, however, some supervisors need more training on professionalism.
Productive and nice place to work
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2017
It was a good experience working at American Express. Good thing about the project i worked is that we use the latest technologies which are not used in other projects across the organisation.
Good management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2