American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,485 reviews matching the search
I was happy at American Express and was a very good employee for them.
Travel Counselor/Dom./Intl. Agent (Former Employee) –  Virtual Office at home.August 17, 2017
American Express was a fine place to work. I started working for them in 1989. In 2015 I retired and decided to take some time off and then go back to work in a different field. My last 8 years at AMEX was working at home in my virtual office.
Benefits
Cons
Some new technology(software) was not up to par and often failed.
Great company
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 17, 2017
American Express was by far one of the best companies I have worked for, the culture within the company and quality.of employees bar none the best around. It has absolutely the best work life balance I have had.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Commission
great cafeteria
Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 16, 2017
Plenty of things to do while on break great cafeteria overall the work is not what I was expecting, the job description when I applied was not what it actually was when I started
Large corporation
Manager, GPO Partnerships (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
While AMEX is a huge, well known organization I found it to be too large for me. There was not a lot of guidance and I often felt as though I was drowning.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not a lot of guidance
Business Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 15, 2017
Company has a great work environment however compensation changed over time and made the position less desirable. Working here was great while it lasted.
No Comments
Vice President, Strategy, Planning and Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work includes a lot of unproductive meetings and collaboration sessions, slow decision making and repetitive deck writing. people leadership is hardest part of the job, without senior leader support
Great outside sales manager job
CORPORATE SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 15, 2017
This was a great company to work for. Had many different branches of the company to help with any questions or concerns. Very fast paced and competitive.
Temp job
Merchant Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2017
While I was there I worked in Merchant Services. I have to say that was a rewarding job. Working with merchants making sure that they had what they needed to be successful. I received a award for my customer service skills. Management was quick to help and train you to be professional. I completed my work assignment and was happy for the experience.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Smiles, retention is very high there
Great company
Platinum care professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 14, 2017
Enjoyed working at Amex , enjoyed working with customers enjoyed working for my colleagues as well. Benefits are great probably one of the best in the industry
Was a good place to work
Programming engineer 1 (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2017
Workplace culture is very New York, much more task than people orientated. Think I priced myself out of the market here, with International help being more affordable for them. They are a forward thinking company which finds other ways to compete than on the cost of their product.
Pros
Flexiable PTO
Cons
Big and bureaucratic
Cafeteria offered many options
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at American Express. The culture was awesome and I was able to make many connections that I still keep today. It was a great place to start my corporate career.
AmEx Review
Programmer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2017
No work life balance in development team. Every team member is very technically advanced. great place to develop skill set. No transparency in decision making from upper management.
Fast Pace and great workplace culture
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 13, 2017
I have been with American Express for over a year, it is a great place to work, with great earning potential. I would recommend this company if you are great at sales and looking for a great work place culture.
Pros
Great pay, two 15 minute breaks, commission on sales
Cons
customer survey determine your payout
Typical Corporate type job.
Fraud Analyst/Exposure Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2017
As far as big corporation jobs go, this is one of the better ones in my opinion. Although most managers are managing people working jobs that they themselves have no idea how to do, there are a few who take the time to learn. As with any corporation, you will have some micromanaging and some amazing managers. You will have to deal with typical corporate changes and shifting, but they compensate well.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Can be quite a fun environment sometimes.
Cons
Micromanaging, and you're kind of just a number.
Must make the numbers
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 10, 2017
It's all about making the numbers. Pressure to sell strong. Customer feedback? You own it even if not your customer. Bonus money is good but near impossible to earn.
good benefits
Business Growth Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2017
management isn't that great, layoffs are happening everywhere, lack of ability to advice due to the layoffs. no help advancing in the industry. bonus are being cut
pros and cons
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Work from homeAugust 10, 2017
I am taking calls regarding anything from changing address, billing dispute, sending out cards, selling additional products and services. its high call volume and our goals are harder all the time. things change all the time. we are measured on efficiencies and need to take about 14 calls an hour. measured on surveys from the customer also.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
harder and harder to acheive the bonuses
Financial Advisor
Registered Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 9, 2017
Got my series 7 and state insurance licenses and basically started my own business...Highly stressful and the most enjoyable part was working with people to meet their needs...gave me a feeling of satisfaction..
Incoming calls
Lead Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 8, 2017
Answer incoming calls and provide customer service help them with there questions regarding their bill. transfer calls if needed.Put in disputes if a customer does not agree with what is on their statement.
benefits
Cons
American Express - Not what it used to be...
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLAugust 8, 2017
The company today (2007) is very different from years ago. The company lost very large accounts (i.e: COSTCO), which caused a huge impact overall. To keep Wall Street investors happy the company keeps cutting costs (lay offs) and limiting/eliminating investments. Leadership, Innovation, Cooperation are words loosely used in the company but not easy to find. The CEO used to be one of the best available but after many years he is showing lack of energy and does not provide direction as expected. This problem cascades to all lower levels of the Org Chart. People are so afraid of losing their jobs that you now see "Cheerleading" behaviors for all non-sense any Director/VP proposes. Most which go nowhere. Very knowledgeable resources are being let-go an not replaced. Very tough to find someone who still knows the Business, Process and Tools (internal). This is a sad period for a 167 year old company.
Pros
Work-life balance, Flexible schedule, Benefits.
Cons
Low pay, No leadership, Little chance to grow, Too much politics, Individual agendas do not play in favor of the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2